PDA

View Full Version : Question about Child's Tear (Shaman Epic)

Lickum
03-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Do these ever rot? Is there a chance that my Shaman could catch one rotting during a fear raid?

Thanks for the help!

Carkle Jackson
03-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Never. They are highly sought after and can be MQ-ed.

Lickum
03-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Ah, that is good to know, but also very sad. Thanks for the answer :)

Carkle Jackson
03-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Ah, that is good to know, but also very sad. Thanks for the answer :)

I agree. I wish it wasn't that way.

d3r14k
03-17-2019, 07:53 PM
What's the tear MQ sell for these days?

Foxplay
03-17-2019, 08:34 PM
What's the tear MQ sell for these days?

Probably still alot....

Popular solo class that is powerful, thus it comes at a premium. Look at the price of enchanter and shaman spells compared to other classes for example

enjchanter
03-17-2019, 08:49 PM
bout 75-80k for just the MQ itself (your raid force)
100k (MQ + raid force supplied)

I Felt Nostalgic
03-18-2019, 03:28 AM
bout 75-80k for just the MQ itself (your raid force)
100k (MQ + raid force supplied)

Whoa... that's messed up. :eek:

magic32and1
03-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Your best bet is to join a raiding guild. They usually have 30 day stipulations on bidding or player votes for you to stay. But they usually get child’s tear for their shammy. And it’s uusally dkp or raid points for it. We have had a few in our guild and it’s sold for 1-100 dkp depending on our shammy outlook.

magic32and1
03-18-2019, 07:41 AM
Also our last two child’s tear have sold for 1 dkp. Which is basically one raid. And you must be 52+ and 30 days in.

Lickum
03-18-2019, 08:37 AM
Also our last two child’s tear have sold for 1 dkp. Which is basically one raid. And you must be 52+ and 30 days in.

I thought about joining a guild, I'm not sure which one to consider that would fit me well. I used to be in Divinity and then took a long break. They are no more so I was trying to see which of my characters would have an epic quest I could potentially do solo (My main is a 54 chanter, my Shaman is level 51) and although I have a decent amount of my chanter epic done, I can't finish that one without a lot of friends (and my friends are mostly all gone :( )

magic32and1
03-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Azure guard, blood guard, core, paradigm shift are some very good raiding guilds for you characters. You would probably need to contact them in game to see what you need to do. But any of these should be able to help you with epics in time.

Legidias
03-18-2019, 08:41 AM
You won't be able to do any of the epics solo. The closes you could get in general is maybe rogue but you wills till need at least 1 group to do the big fights.

Monk is arguably a much easier to get epic compared to shaman as it doesn't really have any large bottlenecks.

Oleris
03-18-2019, 03:19 PM
wtb shaman tear 100k. :D

Lickum
03-18-2019, 03:23 PM
wtb shaman tear 100k. :D

I cry :(

Erati
03-18-2019, 04:01 PM

Least you can visualize the # of plat required to become an Epicd character.

Most classes cannot.

Lickum
03-18-2019, 04:19 PM

Most classes cannot.

I've been out of the loop and I'd be interested in you elaborating on this, if you have the time or interest :)

Foxplay
03-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Most classes cannot.

Yea I agree...having now 7 level 60s here Is my insight...

No matter how much it sucks to grind plat, or difficult as it seems... the classes that can literally just hand someone a mountain of plat and get their epic it is So much easier to get an epic on

Plat is way easier to get, even huge amounts - than some ridiculously bottle necked or over-camped mobs. Now I'm not saying its impossible for some of the other classes to get their epic, but it is a lot harder and pretty much requires you to have a guild, and them willing to progress you towards your epic, and on top of that they have to contest and get FTE on certain raid targets. And even though some of these other classes can be MQ'd the ones with worse bottlenecks than shaman get even more expensive (/cough bard, magician, warrior) due to some of the raid-bottle necked drops required

DiogenesThaDogg
03-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Shaman is a weird one. On the one hand, epic is so useful for leveling up, on the other hand, you almost surely can't afford it until you're 60 on one toon or another. If joining a raiding guild is out of the question, I would recommend getting your ench to 60, making a ton of plat in Velk's or PoM then buying an epic for your shaman.

Gozuk
03-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Yea I agree...having now 7 level 60s here Is my insight...

Let's take this opportunity to discuss your obvious hatred towards double attacking, dual wielding classes. What gives?

SirAlvarex
03-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Let's take this opportunity to discuss your obvious hatred towards double attacking, dual wielding classes. What gives?

I'm just admiring the clever character naming scheme.

Teppler
03-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Shaman is a weird one. On the one hand, epic is so useful for leveling up, on the other hand, you almost surely can't afford it until you're 60 on one toon or another. If joining a raiding guild is out of the question, I would recommend getting your ench to 60, making a ton of plat in Velk's or PoM then buying an epic for your shaman.

Shaman is a great second class to play.

My first char was a necro and I had fun camping up enough items in early kunark to pimp out a shammy. I remember when these shammy epics went for 30-40k hah. That's when I got mine. But I farmed on my necro till I could buy epic, fungi, haste item and had some plat towards torpor.

Foxplay
03-18-2019, 06:05 PM

I don't hate melee classes, I'm just working towards my personal goal of leveling up 1 of every caster class to 60 (I include bard as a "caster" class because they are more of a caster than they are a melee) I don't stop playing each character until they are 60, then I move onto the next

After I complete my original goal maybe I will think of another goal such as leveling up a melee character (probably rogue If I do). Maybe ill make some gear goals and start raiding again, I dunno (/shrug). Ill think about it more and cross that bridge when I get there...

Currently my Wizard is 56 so I still have another month or two before I need to expand my goals

Carkle Jackson
03-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Here is a true story that will probably tear you up inside. I’m sorry if it does.

About five or six years ago my shaman was 47. I was sitting in West Freeport root rotting Guards when I got a tell. I didn’t know the sender but what he said to me was, "We just killed a golem and the iksar maiden is up. Hurry down here and we will let you kill her and loot the child’s tear". I had no idea what they were talking about. I never had an epic on live and I never thought I would have one on project 1999. I had no idea what was involved in the shaman epic… All I knew is that somebody was trying to give me something for free from the plane of fear. So I ran down there.

A long story short… I zoned into the plane of fear. Hands and knees shaking for fear that I was going to be either destroyed by mobs or tricked by a malicious player. It all turned out to be legit. I looted the tear. And then started my shaman epic and completed it just a couple weeks later.

loramin
03-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Shaman is a great second class to play.

My first char was a necro and I had fun camping up enough items in early kunark to pimp out a shammy. I remember when these shammy epics went for 30-40k hah. That's when I got mine. But I farmed on my necro till I could buy epic, fungi, haste item and had some plat towards torpor.

Shaman are absolutely a great first class too. Either live without an epic, or farm the plat for it, but neither in any way stops you from being a shaman, or from leveling, or anything like that (well, technically the plat farming will stop you from leveling, but only temporarily, and if you don't want that break just group, or solo without the epic).

Lickum0806
03-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Here is a true story that will probably tear you up inside. I’m sorry if it does.

About five or six years ago my shaman was 47. I was sitting in West Freeport root rotting Guards when I got a tell. I didn’t know the sender but what he said to me was, "We just killed a golem and the iksar maiden is up. Hurry down here and we will let you kill her and loot the child’s tear". I had no idea what they were talking about. I never had an epic on live and I never thought I would have one on project 1999. I had no idea what was involved in the shaman epic… All I knew is that somebody was trying to give me something for free from the plane of fear. So I ran down there.

A long story short… I zoned into the plane of fear. Hands and knees shaking for fear that I was going to be either destroyed by mobs or tricked by a malicious player. It all turned out to be legit. I looted the tear. And then started my shaman epic and completed it just a couple weeks later.

That is actually a very wonderful story, I'm glad you had an experience like that :)

SirAlvarex
03-18-2019, 10:23 PM

Thank you for sharing.

The guild I was in (I think at the time it was Taken?) did exactly as you said. Hell, your example sounds almost EXACTLY like one of the nights where our officers did a '/who all shaman 46 60' and started sending tells.

When I started playing my Shaman a few years later I was really disappointed I never looted a tear on those nights we let it rot. Spent the 60k or whatever to get a MQ.

Kinda miss those days.

Carkle Jackson
03-18-2019, 10:59 PM
Thank you for sharing.

The guild I was in (I think at the time it was Taken?) did exactly as you said. Hell, your example sounds almost EXACTLY like one of the nights where our officers did a '/who all shaman 46 60' and started sending tells.

When I started playing my Shaman a few years later I was really disappointed I never looted a tear on those nights we let it rot. Spent the 60k or whatever to get a MQ.

Kinda miss those days.

For me... It was The Mystical Order who gave me the Child's Tear. I remember that clearly. I sent a tell to my buddy to tell him what was happening. My buddy absolutely hated TMO. I had no opinion one way or another. I remember the whole way down he was telling me that they were going to have me zone in, get killed, and then leave me with a CR from hell. But he was wrong. That was a good lesson to me to rate people by their individual behavior and not by their guild tag.

baakss
03-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Just curious, what caused the price on these to skyrocket like it did?

Carkle Jackson
03-18-2019, 11:39 PM
Just curious, what caused the price on these to skyrocket like it did?

Changed the loot tables on the golems. Making them able to drop a lot of CT's loot.

baakss
03-19-2019, 12:22 AM
Changed the loot tables on the golems. Making them able to drop a lot of CT's loot.

Wait, so the same amount of tears are dropping, but the guilds killing them have changed because of improved loot, and so the price of the tears went up 3x as much?

Danth
03-19-2019, 01:44 AM
Wait, so the same amount of tears are dropping, but the guilds killing them have changed because of improved loot, and so the price of the tears went up 3x as much?

No, the change also made the golems spawn far less often--days instead of hours.

Danth

baakss
03-19-2019, 01:56 AM
Gotcha, that makes more sense, thanks!

Kefit
03-19-2019, 11:26 AM
The golems used to spawn once every eight hours and killing them did nothing but generate tears for shaman epics. Shortly after Velious came out the golems were revamped to 72 hour spawns that drop multiple key epic pieces and highly desirable loot like Puppet Strings and AoNs.

So competition for golems went way up at the same time as the supply of golems went way down.

That being said, there are still plenty of tears dropping (~4 a week) compared to many other epic bottlenecks. Any shaman can get an epic by joining a guild that regularly kills golems and not being an asshat for a month.

Kefit
03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
To add a bit more:

It's actually a bit of a misconception that the price of a child's tear increased by 3x after the Fear revamp. In reality, the price of a tear increased by far more than that. This is because there are two components that go into the price of a shaman epic - the variable price of the tear itself, and the static price of the guild effort required to turn that tear into an epic.

Guild Effort
The process of turning a tear into an epic requires a fair amount of time investment from the guild that loots the tear.

First, the toon holding the tear needs to max out their truespirit faction. Doing this efficiently is a tedious process that requires two people to work together for several hours without interruption (unlike the shaman buyer, the tear seller didn't casually max out truespirit faction while leveling up). Oh, and epic shaman don't get a free ride on this faction grind, cause the final turn-in for the shaman epic resets truespirit faction.

Second, the seller needs to bring a kill force to CoM for the Rak'Ashiir fight, which first requires farming black reavers until Rak'Ashiir spawns. This can be done with one group, but a selling guild is more likely to get a couple groups to show up just to ensure everything goes smoothly.

I'd estimate the value of the guild effort component of a shaman epic sale to be comparable to the value of demon fang loot rights. So about 20k plat. This component of the shaman epic price is a static value unaffected by any change in the supply of tears.

Child's Tear
I haven't been on a golem raid since 2016, but from what I remember a tear will be generated on about 50% of golem kills. Golems used to be eight hour trash mobs with no loot aside from child's tear generation. Now they're highly competitive 72 hour raid mobs with loot that remains highly desirable at all levels of play. So now there are far fewer tears being generated, and the competition for golems is much more fierce.

Before the Fear revamp, a shaman epic sold for around 30k. If we remove the static 20k guild effort cost, then we get a tear value of about 10k.

After the fear revamp, a shaman epic sells for around 100k. If we remove the static 20k guild effort cost, then we get a tear value of about 80k.

So yeah, the value of a child's tear has actually gone up by about 8x. And this is pretty much exactly the kind of value increase we'd expect when the mobs that supply tears change from eight hour respawn timers to 72 hour respawn timers.

Erati
03-19-2019, 02:53 PM
^*72 w 16 hour variance ie has to be tracked compared to just a static 8 hrs.