PDA

View Full Version : New Wiki Page: Find Mobs By Level

loramin
03-18-2019, 08:42 PM
I have another new wiki page up, but this one is super simple and I can't really take any credit for it, because I stole the core idea from:

This query can help you find monsters of your level. For example if you're level 40 and want to kill level 35 things.

https://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=500&offset=0&redirs=0&profile=default&search=%22Level%5C%3A%5C+35%22+-%22Shopkeeper%22+-%22Merchant%22+%22Class%5C%3A%5C+Warrior%22

Props to Branamil for the original idea, but since I figured people might not be fans of tweaking that long mess of a URL, I created a wiki page that does it for you:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Mobs_By_Level

No need to modify any URLs, just type in a level, hit ENTER (or click "Submit") and you'll get the same exact search (ie. a search for all "Warrior" mobs of the specified level who aren't merchants). Hopefully this helps adventurous folks looking for new monsters to kill (and who haven't found a good spot in the Per-Level guide, which is linked in my signature).

Enjoy.

Wallicker
03-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Thanks I had the above link saved this makes it even easier

Wallicker
03-18-2019, 08:57 PM
This however doesn’t let you change to search by any class other than warrior

loramin
03-19-2019, 02:01 AM
This however doesn’t let you change to search by any class other than warrior

Fixed.

Hibbs
03-19-2019, 02:32 AM
Maybe I'm just bad but I don't get it

Jlpstrtkng
03-19-2019, 06:28 AM
Cool script. Very useful. Maybe there is a way to exclude the Magelo profile links in the searches though

jolanar
03-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Great idea. Once it gets some more polish it would be great. I searched for level 40 mobs and a whole bunch of player magelo pages came up.

Wallicker
03-19-2019, 07:07 AM
Thanks loramin <3

loaf
03-19-2019, 08:19 AM
I have been looking for something like this; thank you Loramin!

Maschenny
03-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Nice work!

loramin
03-19-2019, 11:00 AM
First off, while thanks is always appreciated, I just want to reiterate that Branamil deserves all the credit. He came up with the idea, I just coded it up to make it easier to use.

Maybe I'm just bad but I don't get it

It's a simple tool, so there's not much to get. Let's say you're level 35, so you're looking for level 30 mobs to kill. You go to the page, enter "30" for level, and you get a list of Warrior (non-caster) mobs of that level. If you want a different class of mob, you can change the class field. If you dig through the results, presumably you can find a new hunting spot.

I see the page mainly being useful for people looking to get off the beaten path. Of course, the Per-Level Hunting Guide (link in signature) was designed for that purpose too, but this is for people who really want to get off the beaten path :)

Cool script. Very useful. Maybe there is a way to exclude the Magelo profile links in the searches though

Great idea. Once it gets some more polish it would be great. I searched for level 40 mobs and a whole bunch of player magelo pages came up.

Fixed.

jolanar
03-19-2019, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know the formula to determine what is blue or light blue to your character?

Cilraaz
03-19-2019, 11:16 AM
Here ya go (http://wiki.project1999.com/Game_Mechanics#Consider_Color_Scalings_with_Level)

Nagoya
03-19-2019, 10:08 PM
this is nice, thanks :)
is it possible to add a zone in your search?

edit: nvm, not so many results no need to add a filter

Hibbs
03-19-2019, 11:02 PM
It's a simple tool, so there's not much to get. Let's say you're level 35, so you're looking for level 30 mobs to kill. You go to the page, enter "30" for level, and you get a list of Warrior (non-caster) mobs of that level. If you want a different class of mob, you can change the class field. If you dig through the results, presumably you can find a new hunting spot.

https://i.imgur.com/i6WzSIv.png

This is all I see, so unsure where to "enter 30 for level"... am I missing something?

Caldwin
03-19-2019, 11:15 PM
This is all I see, so unsure where to "enter 30 for level"... am I missing something?

That's all I get too.

Caldwin
03-19-2019, 11:23 PM
I was using Internet Explorer (v. 11.0.9600.18098) before. But, Firefox (v. 41.0.1) works ok.

Hideousclaw
03-20-2019, 12:43 AM
I was using Internet Explorer (v. 11.0.9600.18098) before. But, Firefox (v. 41.0.1) works ok.

IE? Going for that classic feel?

Caldwin
03-20-2019, 01:10 AM
IE? Going for that classic feel?

I tend to have a bunch of stuff open at once. On my laptop, I use Firefox for some things, but IE for other stuff, like P99 Forums, to break up the load. Otherwise, if I only use one of them for everything, it will increase the chances of it crashing. Lately though, I've been having more trouble with IE. I would upgrade IE to a newer version, but I'm leery of doing so, since it's tied to windows and I don't want certain upgrades that may break certain software.

On my PC though, I use Firefox mostly.

Hibbs
03-20-2019, 01:24 AM
Oh yea on my phone and I can see the search there. Thanks.

loramin
03-20-2019, 01:26 AM
https://i.imgur.com/i6WzSIv.png

That means the Javascript code (which is necessary since wikis don't let you add form fields) isn't working. Unfortunately I don't have access to an Internet Explorer machine, but if anyone does and can report back any error messages I can hopefully fix it.

As an aside, normally when I program I use tools to help avoid this sort of issue, but the wiki limits things in a way that makes using those tools difficult.

mizzbiscuits
03-20-2019, 01:53 AM
I love this! The wiki is my bff.

Tethler
03-20-2019, 04:15 AM

That's the red server search :D

Tethler
03-20-2019, 04:17 AM
That means the Javascript code (which is necessary since wikis don't let you add form fields) isn't working. Unfortunately I don't have access to an Internet Explorer machine, but if anyone does and can report back any error messages I can hopefully fix it.

As an aside, normally when I program I use tools to help avoid this sort of issue, but the wiki limits things in a way that makes using those tools difficult.

I see that same page from my work PC (uses IE), but there are no error messages. Just loads like a usual page.

loramin
03-20-2019, 11:13 AM
I see that same page from my work PC (uses IE), but there are no error messages. Just loads like a usual page.

Thanks.

Based on that I'd guess that the people with problems are probably on IE8 (there was a big change between IE8 and IE9; basically Microsoft stopped being assholes and started playing by the same rules as everyone else) ... but that browser has such low usage now I'm kind of surprised that multiple people would have problems, so I figured maybe it was affecting all IEs.

Caldwin
03-20-2019, 03:34 PM
Thanks.

Based on that I'd guess that the people with problems are probably on IE8 (there was a big change between IE8 and IE9; basically Microsoft stopped being assholes and started playing by the same rules as everyone else) ... but that browser has such low usage now I'm kind of surprised that multiple people would have problems, so I figured maybe it was affecting all IEs.

Both my laptop and computer at work uses IE11. Neither shows the wiki page correctly. While on my laptop (and PC) I can use Firefox, at work I'm stuck with IE.

loramin
03-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Both my laptop and computer at work uses IE11. Neither shows the wiki page correctly. While on my laptop (and PC) I can use Firefox, at work I'm stuck with IE.

Here's instructions for getting errors on IE11:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/all/how-can-i-display-javascript-errors-in-the-status/a159a366-967f-4bb4-a8cb-13ba725cedda

I realize it's a hassle, but if anyone wants to bother and paste the error messages here I'd be happy to try and fix them. It's just that without knowing what the actual problem is it's difficult for me to fix it.

Redlite
03-22-2019, 03:33 PM
This is great, thank you!

Would it be possible to add an HP range search as well?

loramin
03-22-2019, 03:59 PM
This is great, thank you!

Would it be possible to add an HP range search as well?

Short answer: no. First off, a healthy percentage of mobs don't even have HP info, but more importantly the limited Mediawiki search can't search for ranges, it can only search for exact strings. So to search for "between 100 and 200 HP" you'd have to search for "HP: 100 and HP: 101 and HP:102 and ... HP: 200".

The slightly longer answer is that it absolutely would be possible to do something like that with a custom MediaWiki (PHP) extension, much like how Rahvin created our custom item searches (the ones you see when you look at rogue arm slot items or whatever). However, unless you happen to program in PHP and feel motivated, it's unlikely this will happen, as Rahvin is retired and I hate PHP with a fiery passion :)

Caldwin
03-23-2019, 03:33 PM
I don't know if this helps any (not at all familiar with debuggers), but in "load.php" the debugger in IE11 says "Object doesn't support property or method 'startsWith'" for the following statement:

$(function(){var hideDelay=0;var trigDelay=250;var hideTimer=null;var ajax=null;var currentPosition={left:'0px',top:'0px'};var container=$('<div id="itemHoverContainer">'+'<div id="itemHoverContent"></div>'+'</div>');$('body').append(container);var $mouseoverTargets=$('span.ih a');var isItemCategory=document.title.startsWith('Category :')&&document.title.includes('Equipment - Project 1999 Wiki')&&!document.title.includes('Worshiper Equipment');if(isItemCategory){$mouseoverTargets=$ mouseoverTargets.add('.mw-content-ltr a');}

loramin
03-23-2019, 05:16 PM
I don't know if this helps any (not at all familiar with debuggers), but in "load.php" the debugger in IE11 says "Object doesn't support property or method 'startsWith'" for the following statement:

$(function(){var hideDelay=0;var trigDelay=250;var hideTimer=null;var ajax=null;var currentPosition={left:'0px',top:'0px'};var container=$('<div id="itemHoverContainer">'+'<div id="itemHoverContent"></div>'+'</div>');$('body').append(container);var $mouseoverTargets=$('span.ih a');var isItemCategory=document.title.startsWith('Category :')&&document.title.includes('Equipment - Project 1999 Wiki')&&!document.title.includes('Worshiper Equipment');if(isItemCategory){$mouseoverTargets=$ mouseoverTargets.add('.mw-content-ltr a');}

Thank you Caldwin, you're awesome. The non-tech speak version of that is that most browsers added a "startsWith" method ages ago, but evidently Internet Explorer didn't get around to it until IE12. I usually am careful to only use older Javascript code (for this reason), but I didn't realize "startsWith" was something IE had failed to implement.

I have since fixed the page; if any IE11 people could check and let me know if it works now I'd appreciate it!

Caldwin
03-23-2019, 06:05 PM
It looks like it's working now. I'm getting the same thing I'm getting with Firefox... a list of mobs that is the level I entered.

loramin
03-23-2019, 06:55 PM
It looks like it's working now. I'm getting the same thing I'm getting with Firefox... a list of mobs that is the level I entered.

Woot!

branamil
03-25-2019, 07:42 PM
I do not approve of my intellectual property being used in this manner. Please cease and desist.