PDA

View Full Version : Which Server has the pure Launch Everquest game? No expansions?

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Because I am a server that includes the Scars of Velious which is the second expansion in the game. But I just want to pure launch game content, so which server has that version of the game with no Kurnark or Velious content?

Legidias
04-02-2019, 12:12 PM
I am a server

Oh god the AI's have gained sentience and started to play old elf sims

DMN
04-02-2019, 12:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTehdxIj0ZQ

aaezil
04-02-2019, 12:27 PM
If you are a server i think you have bigger problems

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 12:29 PM
I am IN a server.

Can I have a straight answer in this forum please?

I wanna play Everquest 1 without the Kurnark and Velinous expansions. Is that Possible?

aaezil
04-02-2019, 12:58 PM
I think you are looking for the forum user jakerees he should be able to answer all your questions

Danth
04-02-2019, 01:19 PM
There isn't one, at least not that has any population.

One of the commercial progression servers run by Daybreak is presently in pre-expansion only, but a) it won't be for long, and b) it has a lot of modern additions and hence is not strictly classic.

Danth

fadetree
04-02-2019, 01:31 PM
I am IN a server.

Can I have a straight answer in this forum please?

I wanna play Everquest 1 without the Kurnark and Velinous expansions. Is that Possible?

No.

Bardp1999
04-02-2019, 01:33 PM
I played one of the TLP servers from launch...pure classic gets pretty old pretty fast. Kunark and velious really help.

Danth
04-02-2019, 01:36 PM
I played one of the TLP servers from launch...pure classic gets pretty old pretty fast. Kunark and velious really help.

Classic is my own favorite period of the game, but it's marred by the woefully inadequate amount of content for levels past about 35. It was allright when P99 was in that period due to the low population at the time, but the present population (or higher) would be problematic to say the least.

Danth

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Classic is my own favorite period of the game, but it's marred by the woefully inadequate amount of content for levels past about 35. It was allright when P99 was in that period due to the low population at the time, but the present population (or higher) would be problematic to say the least.

Danth

So Kurnark and Velinous does not feature content and gameplay features that spoils what the original launch Everquest's gameplay?

What gameplay features do the first 2 expansion offers other then new continents, dungeons, monsters, and what have you?

Arkanjil
04-02-2019, 01:46 PM
This server is going to be the closest to launch Everquest that you’ll experience anywhere. The active population here is really what makes this server special.

Gatordash
04-02-2019, 01:51 PM
So Kurnark and Velinous does not feature content and gameplay features that spoils what the original launch Everquest's gameplay?

What gameplay features do the first 2 expansion offers other then new continents, dungeons, monsters, and what have you?

iksars, lvl 50-60, epics. Did you play original EQ and quit before kunark launched so you dont want to play it or something?

DMN
04-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Well, just an idea, but you could simply stick to the old world and only play there. You will still find plenty of people in the old world dungeons, so don't worry about that.

aaezil
04-02-2019, 02:00 PM
yeah dont ding past lvl 50, dont go to kunark or velious or use kunark/velious gear, and dont get your epic

Sounds great!

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 02:01 PM
iksars, lvl 50-60, epics. Did you play original EQ and quit before kunark launched so you dont want to play it or something?

Not that I don't want to play Kurnark.

Its that I worry that the launch content of Everquest will become irrelevant.

I have this goal and vow that I wanna fight and beat Lord Nagafen in that Dungeon of his. But I worry that not many people are forming parties to fight that guy becuase he's outdated. And people will be equipped with the new stronger gear that the expansions offer, making Nagafen easier.

DMN
04-02-2019, 02:11 PM

I have this goal and vow that I wanna fight and beat Lord Nagafen in that Dungeon of his. But I worry that not many people are forming parties to fight that guy becuase he's outdated. And people will be equipped with the new stronger gear that the expansions offer, making Nagafen easier.

He still drops some dank swag like cloak of flames, so I'm sure he's still on farm. Roll a cleric. Obviously you can't do anything about the gear of others, but it's the closest you are going to get. Nag was pretty much a joke in classic though. Vox was the real accomplishment.

Danth
04-02-2019, 02:13 PM

You don't have to worry about this. The original game does NOT become irrelevant on a server locked at Velious. Case in point, using your own example: Nagafen is, still (after 9 years!) routinely killed almost as soon as he spawned and he's hugely contested. He is easier, arguably, although with unlimited raid sizes and heal click items he was never truly difficult.

Many of the leveling zones are well-populated and routinely see significant grouping activity. Drops like flowing black silk sash, if no longer considered high-end, still see use.

I remember the "fun" of trying to play classic on servers with ~2000 population. Lower guk with 100+ people--stinks! I do not like either expansion quite so well as I liked the original. However, they're good enough while greatly resolving the original game's crippling lack of content. Even better would've been the original game having more to do at 35+, but at that point we're talking daydreams, not reality.

Danth

Legidias
04-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Usually at least 3 separate groups will race to kill Naggy upon spawn due to bladestoppers

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 02:16 PM
He still drops some dank swag like cloak of flames, so I'm sure he's still on farm. Roll a cleric. Obviously you can't do anything about the gear of others, but it's the closest you are going to get. Nag was pretty much a joke in classic though. Vox was the real accomplishment.

Just letting you know that I am COMPLETELY new at this game.

Never played Everquest 1 when it came out because I was a little kid. So now I am trying to experience this game as it was since I have tried out EQ 1 in its Live incarnation before.

I don't even know what works at all in this game. I mean I only just started fighting enemies and browsing merchants. I don't know where to get quests.

Rygar
04-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Ahhh I was once a ignorant young flower like you with hopeful dreams... fortunately mine involved entering into Plane of Fear with a small elite force and killing mobs for the challenge.

Mission Accomplished with my buddy Lyant on the first occasion and my buddy Zentile on the second:
https://i.imgur.com/VAA0vsc.jpg

Legidias
04-02-2019, 02:18 PM
You could try ALS. They try to play as classic as possible (until raiding lul).

Levelling up and gearing up, their ruleset excludes you from the mass market and you have to buy items +/- a certain level range from yourself IIRC

Danth
04-02-2019, 02:25 PM
I don't know where to get quests.

Everquest might be the worst-named MMORPG in the history of the genre. Most players only do minor amounts of questing. You locate quests by hailing various NPC's around the game world and responding to their [text] in brackets. It's clunky to say the least. In practice most players find quests by looking it up on the internet, usually on the P1999 wiki.

The majority of quests available at low-level tend to exist mostly for role-play (world lore) or faction purposes, occasionally for experience (gnoll fangs, crushbone belts), and very rarely for useful items. Unlike the majority of newer games, quests can be repeated as often as the user wishes. For example, in Warcraft you might've been sent to collect 10 bear hides. Not 8, not 11--10. Then no more. In EQ, you can take those gnoll fangs and turn them in whether you have 1, 10, 100--whatever.

-----------------------------------

With respect to the original game, take us at our word for it: The original's great, but by itself isn't really adequate to support a large population. Kunark and Velious, while expansions, were both part of the game's original design and ended up as expansions mainly due to budget and time pressures. That's why P1999 decided to stop with Velious--that's where the original "vision" was complete and, afterwards, the genuinely new expansions began.

Danth

DMN
04-02-2019, 02:31 PM
You could try ALS. They try to play as classic as possible (until raiding lul).

Levelling up and gearing up, their ruleset excludes you from the mass market and you have to buy items +/- a certain level range from yourself IIRC

He's not going to know ALS. It's a guild "auld lang syne". it's a good suggestion but being excluded from trading in EC isn't very classic, unless you played classic on the test server.

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
He's not going to know ALS. It's a guild "auld lang syne". it's a good suggestion but being excluded from trading in EC isn't very classic, unless you played classic on the test server.

Yeah I prefer sticking with the main server at Velious.

defener
04-02-2019, 02:52 PM
You could try looking at one of the new time-locked progression servers from Daybreak, particularly the Mangler server. It does not have any "content" past Classic until June (when the first expansion, Ruins of Kunark, unlocks). You'll have to pay to play it.

It does, however, feature many quality of life improvements that the original game lacked and thus is not strictly classic.

Evia
04-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Yeah based on what you're looking to do OP i think daybreaks Mangler server is right up your alley. It just launched like 2 weeks ago and will unlock expansions every 3 months. For someone wanting to do classic with no expansions and not have to play much catchup to others Id say its your best bet. It does cost a subscription tho and isnt as classic of an experience as here. With that said tho it was a fun experience to do a progression server from Daybreak at least once.

Zuranthium
04-02-2019, 03:09 PM

Classic had enough content for 35+ because of cities, ironically. There were tons of city guards/shopkeepers/NPC's that could be hunted. Every city area in the game became a battleground. That was such a great aspect of Classic, higher level players would be fighting right where new players started; made the game world so vibrant.

If those MOBs were left unnerfed for hunting purposes and if a Classic server opened with The Hole active (yeah it was Kunark era but it's a "classic" zone), then I think it would be plenty. It's actually the low/mid level areas that can be more crowded, at least depending on where the overall level range of the population is at.

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Everquest might be the worst-named MMORPG in the history of the genre. Most players only do minor amounts of questing. You locate quests by hailing various NPC's around the game world and responding to their [text] in brackets. It's clunky to say the least. In practice most players find quests by looking it up on the internet, usually on the P1999 wiki.

The majority of quests available at low-level tend to exist mostly for role-play (world lore) or faction purposes, occasionally for experience (gnoll fangs, crushbone belts), and very rarely for useful items. Unlike the majority of newer games, quests can be repeated as often as the user wishes. For example, in Warcraft you might've been sent to collect 10 bear hides. Not 8, not 11--10. Then no more. In EQ, you can take those gnoll fangs and turn them in whether you have 1, 10, 100--whatever.

-----------------------------------

With respect to the original game, take us at our word for it: The original's great, but by itself isn't really adequate to support a large population. Kunark and Velious, while expansions, were both part of the game's original design and ended up as expansions mainly due to budget and time pressures. That's why P1999 decided to stop with Velious--that's where the original "vision" was complete and, afterwards, the genuinely new expansions began.

Danth

Ok I see the bracket text in the NPC's dialoge. But how do I respond to it? Do I type in the exact same bracket words in the chat to continue because I did and nothing happens?

Basically how do I get these quests to appear in my Quest Journal?

Yasi
04-02-2019, 03:37 PM
If you have never played EQ before, go Play on the Daybreak Server Mangler. It has 2-3 more months of classic before Kunark will release. It also Features several non-classic things that make playing more forgiving and fun.

Pure classic is fun if you're enjyoing the nostalgic character. Pure classic is not fun if you're new to the game. It's unforgiving, complex, a ridiculous time-sink and inconvenient.

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 03:43 PM
If you have never played EQ before, go Play on the Daybreak Server Mangler. It has 2-3 more months of classic before Kunark will release. It also Features several non-classic things that make playing more forgiving and fun.

Pure classic is fun if you're enjyoing the nostalgic character. Pure classic is not fun if you're new to the game. It's unforgiving, complex, a ridiculous time-sink and inconvenient.

I am gonna try being hardcore though and play it anyway like how the people who started from the beginning did.

If I wanna have an easier experience, I rather play Everquest 2....or World of Warcraft.

Rygar
04-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Is clever troll being clever? Hmmm... Lots of click bait in your responses.

Danth
04-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Ok I see the bracket text in the NPC's dialoge. But how do I respond to it? Do I type in the exact same bracket words in the chat to continue because I did and nothing happens?

Quest journal? Everquest had no such thing in 1999-2001. Your quest journal is your own Mark I memory. If the client has one (the client used by P1999 dates from circa 2005-2006), it's probably not functional. The client has a number of relic windows and interfaces which do not function on Project1999 (alt. advance, etc).

In general you get the NPC to respond by typing out in /say a phrase including the exact same words as appear in the brackets. For example if the NPC asks you to [battle the undead] you can reply by /say 'I will battle the undead' and the dialogue should proceed. The NPC must be targeted when you do this. It's a role-playing game and you're supposed to be talking to the other person. The system's clunky and technically outdated to be sure, but there's a logic to it.

In some cases, you might have to know the trigger phrase in advance. In most cases, you can hand-in quest items to the appropriate NPC without going through the quest dialogue at all (you'll be glad for this if you have those 100 gnoll fangs to turn in). Obviously the dialogue becomes mandatory if you need to receive items FROM a quest NPC, and going through the dialogue also lets you confirm that your faction is adequate to do the quest at all. If your faction is inadequate the NPC will usually respond with some variation of, "Get lost."

Some quests can be quite tricky to figure out on your own. The gnoll fang quest I mentioned earlier is one such: The NPC you hand the fangs in for your bounty has no [bracketed] text, and instead you're supposed to learn about the quest by wandering around the city and hearing it from other NPCs during the course of various tasks they offer. Again, in practice this leads to most players using the P99 wiki.

The commercial "Mangler" server some folks have mentioned might be enjoyable, but it's not truly classic Everquest. It has a lot of changes. If you're enjoying your time so far on P1999, stick with it and see where it leads you.

Danth

DMN
04-02-2019, 03:51 PM

You have to put in some kind of written form somewhat grammatical relevant to the question. You can't just say the keyword. If some guy tells you he lost his [puppy]. You would respond with lines like "what puppy? or "where did you lose your puppy?

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 04:11 PM
You have to put in some kind of written form somewhat grammatical relevant to the question. You can't just say the keyword. If some guy tells you he lost his [puppy]. You would respond with lines like "what puppy? or "where did you lose your puppy?

The thing is I never played a game that actually makes me respond in that why with my own words.

I never played a game where typing a question like that ever happens, so I didn't know this game factors me responding as if I am talking to a real person.

The closest game I played that has something like that was the Ultima games, but that boils down to writing Name, Job, and Bye.

Argronok0
04-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Is clever troll being clever? Hmmm... Lots of click bait in your responses.

I know my questions sounds like clickbait trolly responses, but its true. I am that completely new to this game. I don't know how a lot of its mechanics work.

indiscriminate_hater
04-02-2019, 04:46 PM

Don't get on the Kunark or Velious boats and don't buy any items from those expansions. Boom done

Muggens
04-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Kurnark and Velinous

Aha youre talkin about Finland right?

Gatordash
04-03-2019, 01:38 AM
I know my questions sounds like clickbait trolly responses, but its true. I am that completely new to this game. I don't know how a lot of its mechanics work.

You can find the quest journal on the sidebar of the in game map obviously.

Argronok0
04-03-2019, 06:44 AM
You can find the quest journal on the sidebar of the in game map obviously.

But there is no in-game map. The Server itself tells its disabled for Project 1999.

But I did find the quest journal, but when I did accepted a quest (A guy from the Steel Warriors making me get 5 bat wings and 5 snake scales) the quest does not show up on the journal?

Rygar
04-03-2019, 06:49 AM
We used a spiral bound Mead notebook back in the day, and that's how we liked it.

beltruckus
04-03-2019, 08:48 AM
There is no quest journal, get some paper and write quest journal on top.

Legidias
04-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Or like, some sort of classic EQ wikipedia that lists all the quests

fadetree
04-03-2019, 10:20 AM
No quest journal. I recommend you look things up here:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Popular_Quests_by_Reward
https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Quests
http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/quests/
http://eqmagicians.com/page/classic-quests

Jimjam
04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
/note (insert text here)

/note to review.

Saves to notes.txt in your eq inventory.

I'd also love an unexpanded server.

Argronok0
04-03-2019, 11:49 AM
We used a spiral bound Mead notebook back in the day, and that's how we liked it.

One last question, are the Pop-Up Tips in-game broken?

Every now and again I get a pop up in-game that is supposed to show me a tip on game mechanics, but its blank, it shows nothing.

Is this a bug or There were no pop-up tips in Classic Everquest?

FatherSioux
04-03-2019, 11:55 AM
No pop ups in classic

Argronok0
04-03-2019, 12:01 PM
No pop ups in classic

Welp, time to get a strategy guide.