PDA

View Full Version : IP Excemption queued - can we play meanwhile?

laskje
04-06-2019, 04:50 AM
Title says it all.

I've got an IP Excemption request running in the petition queue for just over 2 months now, and looking at the GM situation, my daughter is still asking me every other day how long we have to wait, and I don't want to bump the petition and delay it further.

Am I allowed to let her play the game with me while we wait for this to get resolved, or would that result in an insta-ban?

chaos1990
04-06-2019, 06:32 AM
Tether her to a phone wifi. youll use about 1mb an hour if i remember correctly. This game was built to run on 56k. Just keep her off any ip you use until it goes through because once they get around to it they will be up your ass and likely ban you when they have time/resources. GMs are currently..busy. I don't see them taking any action on exemptions unless one decides to do a dump and clears all of the back logged ones at once.

laskje
04-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Not really an option, she'll be using my wife's desktop, both are wired.

Sunderfury
04-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Do not play together until exemption is approved, and do not bump. Much more staff have been trained in and are chipping away at the queue more and more each day.

Thanks for your patience!

Legidias
04-06-2019, 11:58 AM
RIP Braknar banhammer

Elerial
04-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Offtopic, but I've got a char on WoW named Sunderfury :P

aaezil
04-06-2019, 12:46 PM
I mean honestly if my choice was to wait 4 months for people to maybe get around to doing it or just use a vpn or whatever and play with my wife in the mean time im not sure what i would do. I would probably just choose another server lol

Legidias
04-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Just practice running figure 9's together and chatting at the same time

loramin
04-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Get a VPN. They're cheap ($5-$10 per month) and there is absolutely nothing in the rules (I've read the many copies of them) about using a VPN to let two humans play at once. It's only a rules violation if you use it to two-box.

laskje
04-07-2019, 01:43 AM
Get a VPN. They're cheap ($5-$10 per month) and there is absolutely nothing in the rules (I've read the many copies of them) about using a VPN to let two humans play at once. It's only a rules violation if you use it to two-box.

Isn't that going against the purpose of the IP Excemption though? I mean, the whole point - if I understand correctly, is to prevent multiple accounts from the same location.

I could argue similarly, that running from the same IP is only a violation if I'm two-boxing and not when my kid or wife are playing next to me, which begs the question:

If VPN connections "solve" the IP restrictions, then why have the IP restrictions at all?
Wouldn't it then be more reasonable to check for MAC addresses only?

biggame1717
04-07-2019, 03:20 AM
Isn't that going against the purpose of the IP Excemption though? I mean, the whole point - if I understand correctly, is to prevent multiple accounts from the same location.

I could argue similarly, that running from the same IP is only a violation if I'm two-boxing and not when my kid or wife are playing next to me, which begs the question:

If VPN connections "solve" the IP restrictions, then why have the IP restrictions at all?

GM's have personally said that they will not ban for VPN's. Your argument is correct, on the same IP it is only a violation when you are running two or more characters when you are the only one active. As far as your other question, I think it's just the way to easily stop two boxing, or accidental two boxing. Not everyone is willing to go out of their way to get a VPN, or pay for a VPN to play on a free server.

laskje
04-07-2019, 03:48 AM
GM's have personally said that they will not ban for VPN's. Your argument is correct, on the same IP it is only a violation when you are running two or more characters when you are the only one active. As far as your other question, I think it's just the way to easily stop two boxing, or accidental two boxing. Not everyone is willing to go out of their way to get a VPN, or pay for a VPN to play on a free server.

I hear you. It smells fishy, and essentially provides everyone with a VPN with the chance to run 2 people from the same house without applying - OK. Just means for those of us doing it the recommended way, we have to wait longer (in my case, months).

Swish2
04-07-2019, 04:50 AM
I'm always surprised the VPN replies aren't modded.

Khaleesi
04-07-2019, 06:24 AM
I'm always surprised the VPN replies aren't modded.

To what end or purpose?

VPN and tunneling should be entirely allowed and even endorsed, as an added bonus is that it can help resolve connection issues(both login and playing), latency can actually go down and etc.
This results in less 'why can't I stay connected?' 'why do I lag out LD on zoning?' threads and work needed for the guides.

And of course it means less IP exemptions being required. People forget IP exemption is not a system in place to be a clever way for staff to check that multiple people playing in the same internal network are not multi-boxing. Rather it's a gesture by the staff to enable a work around to a rule they put in place prior(no boxing).

VPNs are effectively the players' own form of an IP exemption. In the event they are multi-boxing then someone can report them and the GMs can observe if they wish to.

The only time a VPN can be really abused is in raid situations where you need to swap characters for some purposed reason or utility based/logistics cause. Which you would /q out then VPN and come back.
But the amount of TOV/Veeshan's Peak scenarios where that would be the case are a small percentage and shouldn't have bearing on the rest of the player base.

Frankly I don't care if someone LD's in a Guk group then uses a VPN to get back in. It's not like he's gaining some advantage - over what, his ISP and their poor service? Or it's unfair to other players whom have a bad ISP and have to endure a full LD?

The only thing I would advise GMs is be mindful that sometimes VPN users might look like they're trying to be sneaky but they aren't. Example? You LD on one character under a VPN connection, then you decide that you need to go on another character anyways to do something. You like to have one VPN server per your accounts(rather than have constantly changing IPS for them (public wifi, work, home, tethered which looks odd). However you forget to wait a minute or two to let time pass before you would normally be able to log back in (with the original IP). And thus you log in and circumvent the LD timer unintentionally.

I'd like to think they'd document a significant pattern of this behavior first before taking action on someone.

White_knight
04-07-2019, 06:34 AM
...how come so many people need IP exemptions all the damn time.

Would love to see the stats of how many approved exemptions get revoked/player gets suspended for boxing a few months later.

Khikik
04-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Don't bump your thread - It wont get you any extra attention from us, that's not how it works

Don't make duplicate requests - Just makes more work for us, which slows down how long it takes for us to process things

Be sure to read instructions - https://www.project1999.com/forums/announcement.php?f=25
If you cant be bothered to fully read the instructions then there might be a reason your request is taking so long

That being said its getting worked on, yes there is a backlog. However there is a few new guides recently myself included chipping away at it everyday. Just remember its not the only thing we do on the server...

https://i.imgur.com/SFIRb3q.gif

Thank you for your patience

Caldwin
04-07-2019, 05:47 PM

No, the whole point isn't to prevent multiple accounts from the same location. The whole point is to prevent multiple accounts being used at the same time by a single person.

Checking MAC addresses only help with multiple instances of the game on the same computer. It won't help if there is more than one computer involved.

Cylock
04-07-2019, 05:57 PM
2+ months and still waiting on a an exemption? Tsk tsk ...

Caldwin
04-07-2019, 06:04 PM
...how come so many people need IP exemptions all the damn time.

Would love to see the stats of how many approved exemptions get revoked/player gets suspended for boxing a few months later.

Because many people that played 20 years ago and now have spouses and children would like to play with each other at the same time.

My sister and her boyfriend have an IP exemption. When I visit, I connect through a phone.

Not refering to your response, but just about every time one of these IP exemption threads is posted, someone comes along thinking it's not legit. Are people that cynical to think everyone posting about IP exemptions have nefarious intentions? :rolleyes:

Legidias
04-07-2019, 07:02 PM
It's P99, so I expect most things are done to circumvent rules unless proven otherwise.

Malibu69
04-26-2019, 08:44 PM
Been playing on separate computers.. with my son for a few weeks now.. today I tried to log on and my accounts are suspended... who can I talk to about this?