PDA

View Full Version : What are P99's Finances?

Beldan4
04-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Ok I just had a interesting conversation in teamspeak with someone about how much it costs to keep these servers up. I am trying to get a little verification here.

Is there anyone that can give a list as to how much each month it costs just to keep this running?
Is it possible for whoever's in charge to tell us how much they get in donations each month to keep this running?
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that everyone else is donating so they don't have to, which means nobody is. I know that ASKING for money might get them in trouble, but is there any reason they can't tell what % of each month's goal they meet each month for basic upkeep?

Buellen
04-07-2019, 04:44 PM
No clue for here , but other project for other mmo's I have seen Around $100 - $200 needed per month to maintain the project.

Tupakk
04-07-2019, 04:47 PM
lol Teamspeak, what era do you live in.

Rog hosts the servers through place of busniess. It cost little to nothing.

aaezil
04-07-2019, 04:50 PM
lol Teamspeak, what era do you live in.

Jauna
04-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Roger Wilco > Teamspeak

branamil
04-07-2019, 05:39 PM
If you're not sure you just mash that PayPal button and help them out

Legidias
04-07-2019, 05:40 PM
I didn't realize Teamspeak made pagers for 1999

Daloon
04-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Discord is 100% garbage until they add Whisper function.

AM uses Teamspeak for voice comms, Discord for chat, so a good chunk of the server obviously does.

Halox
04-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Discord is 100% garbage until they add Whisper function

And until they can make an overlay that actually works. TS overlay works every time. Discord cant even detect that EQ is running. LAME.

I do like the built in text channels of Discord though.

jolanar
04-08-2019, 07:49 AM
Discord is 100% garbage even if they add Whisper function.

Fixed that for you. Discord is so overrated.

Legidias
04-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Man, people really are playing classic without two monitors and no need for overlays at all

mumpz
04-08-2019, 08:44 AM
servers running windows sbs in rog's mom's basement so they dont cost much

Smedy
04-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Ok I just had a interesting conversation in teamspeak with someone about how much it costs to keep these servers up. I am trying to get a little verification here.

Is there anyone that can give a list as to how much each month it costs just to keep this running?
Is it possible for whoever's in charge to tell us how much they get in donations each month to keep this running?
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that everyone else is donating so they don't have to, which means nobody is. I know that ASKING for money might get them in trouble, but is there any reason they can't tell what % of each month's goal they meet each month for basic upkeep?

talking from own experience and knowing that rogean works as a sysadmin id say the upkeep each month is less then 10$ even though they will make you believe its 500$+

Cen
04-08-2019, 09:32 AM
P99 is funded by the greatest nation in the world.

Do-nation.

Also discord needs to add stereo sound because its the year 2019 and I can buy a pleasure robot but cant speak into people's left and right ears specifically with a binaural microphone on discord.

DinoTriz2
04-08-2019, 10:05 AM
I run a little web development company and I pay around $1000/month for my servers.

I'd have to imagine they exceed that.

redhorse
04-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Man, people really are playing classic without two monitors and no need for overlays at all

So I used to use AMD Eyefinity to run multiple monitors. Had a few gateway 24"s that were amazing for like 8 years, but I recently did a rebuild, was sick of ati (now adm) drivers, the fat ol bezels in the way, and wanted to swap to nvida.

A little bit of research discovered that the gaming community in general had moved away from multi monitor setups. Reason being for whatever reasons the drivers and card setups that were previously required to run them at a decent frame rate, now scaled like shit. In place of this, ultrawide monitors came to prominence. I checked them out shopped around, and liked this new solution.

In light of all this I swapped to a 3440 x 1440 ultrawide, and there is just no looking back. At work i still have 2x 1920 x 1080p monitors and it is honestly quite adequate. However every time I go home home and boot up I'm like, oh fuck yeah, this is so much better. You get similar real estate but with just so much cleaner look and interface.

Point of all this is, not everyone that doesn't run dual monitors is behind the times. :P

Izmael
04-08-2019, 11:05 AM
Power / bandwidth costs are probably under $50 / mo. EQEmu is relatively lightweight.

Hardware cost probably a few k USD back then, who knows what it runs on, though.

Wall O Lead
04-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Pair of tin cans attached by a string > Teamspeak

Nirgon
04-10-2019, 11:17 AM
talking from own experience and knowing that rogean works as a sysadmin id say the upkeep each month is less then 10$ even though they will make you believe its 500$+

Miss ya pal

Aussie
04-11-2019, 05:12 AM
Rogean rents rack space in a co-lo data centre by Lightower.
He owns multiple pieces of hardware in this rack space, including servers and networking equipment.

I went looking, as he has in the past posted photos of the setup but cannot find them at current.

This is (unfortunately) not a setup that can easily be run on a cheap VPS setup, and while never posted I would estimate the costs to be hundreds per month.

loramin
04-11-2019, 11:22 AM
I run a little web development company and I pay around $1000/month for my servers.

I'd have to imagine they exceed that.

Dude, either you're massively incompetent, way underselling your company by calling it "little", or you need to seek AWS.

$1k/month is wayyyyy too much for a "little" web dev company.

Artaenc
04-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Everyone seems to be of the opinion that everyone else is donating so they don't have to, which means nobody is. I know that ASKING for money might get them in trouble, but is there any reason they can't tell what % of each month's goal they meet each month for basic upkeep?The only thing you need to know is donating as much as you can spare will only help if you're playing on this server. If you happen to win the lotto make sure to give in the millions :)

YendorLootmonkey
04-11-2019, 03:53 PM
I was told that Red server runs off a Raspberry Pi Rogean has sitting as a conversation piece on top of the toilet in his guest bathroom, but I am not certain that's true.

indiscriminate_hater
04-11-2019, 05:18 PM
I was told that Red server runs off a Raspberry Pi Rogean has sitting as a conversation piece on top of the toilet in his guest bathroom, but I am not certain that's true.

I heard it is situated in a waterproof glass bulb in the toilet itself

Champion_Standing
04-11-2019, 05:22 PM
I doubt donations cover the cost of the server, Papa Rogean doing this out of the goodness of his heart and his own pocket for our benefit.

DinoTriz2
04-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Dude, either you're massively incompetent, way underselling your company by calling it "little", or you need to seek AWS.

$1k/month is wayyyyy too much for a "little" web dev company.

I'm using Rackspace. They aren't the cheapest, but they're solid.

I probably have around 300 websites hosted with me?

It's been a while. I could probably get cheaper with Liquid Web or something but changing hosting providers is like pulling teeth.

I've never been incompetent in my life.

I Felt Nostalgic
04-11-2019, 08:15 PM

Then why are you on your 3rd account that I know about and I've only been here since January... :rolleyes:

loramin
04-12-2019, 12:40 AM
I'm using Rackspace. They aren't the cheapest, but they're solid.

I probably have around 300 websites hosted with me?

It's been a while. I could probably get cheaper with Liquid Web or something but changing hosting providers is like pulling teeth.

I'm leaning towards:

way underselling your company by calling it "little"

But it really depends on what "300 websites" means. 300 single pages used for affiliate links or whatnot should not cost that much, but 300 fully distinct sites each with their own back-end (using non-trivial amounts of CPU/memory/disk) might cost something like that ... though I certainly wouldn't call such a host "little".

feniin
04-12-2019, 12:52 AM
It's weird that you would believe anything that Dino says, Loramin.