PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else started EQ in P99?

Midoo
04-16-2019, 02:20 PM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice the vast majority of people on here are 30+, tried EQ around the time Kunark/Velious was live, and play on P99 today for nostalgia. It takes a bit of time to come across people who are genuinely new to this game.

I myself started two years ago out of sheer curiosity, because unforgiving old school games are the only thing that could quench my nerd thirst. Now I'm pretty much comfortable with my main class and my alts and can navigate the world swiftly. (Tips and guides from veterans helped massively, and I hope to one day contribute to the community in return.)

Do you have any idea how rare games like classic EQ are these days? Seems like modern MMORPGs are designed for people with short attention spans who aren't interested in the genre in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the forums work but I'm interested in seeing if anyone else plays classic EQ purely for its vintage style and mechanics, and is experiencing the world of Norrath for the first time.

DinoTriz2
04-16-2019, 02:45 PM
I'm kind of in that category.

Yes, I played back in '99, but I was a stupid kid and played maybe a week on my friend's account (at his house).

I never got past level 14.

However, the game had a massive impact on me and nostalgia hit me hard.

enjchanter
04-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Honestly I'm kinda in the same boat. I played everquest some when I was very very young (7 maybe) and around PoP I never saw the game again until many years later I was just reading some random wiki stuff on everquest and thought to look it up and found out it was free to play on the live servers. Downloaded it , bumbled around modern eq for a bit, met a guy who was doing a progression guild on a dead server (this was before TLPs and was like an artificial TLP) and I learned alot about old school EQ from that until one guy mentioned the p99 server to me (which is what the small bits of the game I remember mostly consisted of) so I left modern servers, rolled on p99 and never looked back :)

Sonark
04-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Do you have any idea how rare games like classic EQ are these days? Seems like modern MMORPGs are designed for people with short attention spans who aren't interested in the genre in the first place.If you want to play the game and be bad at it, then yes.

The meta game of Live destroys p99 in every way.

Most people that play on Live are god awful players, because they play like it's p99.

Tuurin
04-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Honestly I'm kinda in the same boat. I played everquest some when I was very very young (7 maybe) and around PoP I never saw the game again until many years later I was just reading some random wiki stuff on everquest and thought to look it up and found out it was free to play on the live servers. Downloaded it , bumbled around modern eq for a bit, met a guy who was doing a progression guild on a dead server (this was before TLPs and was like an artificial TLP) and I learned alot about old school EQ from that until one guy mentioned the p99 server to me (which is what the small bits of the game I remember mostly consisted of) so I left modern servers, rolled on p99 and never looked back :)

Honestly have no idea how someone could play EQ at age 7. Seems like it would be massively confusing and frustrating for an average kid at that age. I have an 8 yr old who is frustrated all the time just playing Wii Lego games where there is literally NO penalty for death- instant respawn, no lost progression, etc.

Granted, I don't really let him play vids very much, so he's not a real "gamer" etc. but jeez it seems like EQ might be the most non-kid friendly game I could think of. Cheers for making it work I guess.

FungusTrooper
04-17-2019, 10:19 AM
If you want to play the game and be bad at it, then yes.

Most people that play on Live are god awful players, because they play like it's p99.

I don't think he's specifically talking about Live. While, yes, Live is a "modern" MMORPG, I think he's more talking about actual newer MMOs, which, yeah, do seem built for very focused short bursts of play. They gotta "appeal to everyone", etc.

DromalPhrenia
04-17-2019, 10:31 AM
If you want to play the game and be bad at it, then yes.

I think he meant more like how MMO's have things like fast travel, group finder, instances etc. If I log onto a modern MMO, I can teleport to basically any major spot (and often some minor ones) or at least travel there very quickly, I can press a button to find a group for me, and press another button to instantly zone into a dungeon that is populated solely by, and solely for, my group.

That's not to say they're EASIER per se, raids in FFXIV can get really complicated, but there's a lot less time investment. EXPing in p99 means finding either a group or an uncamped solo spot and spending hours at it, the time investment is much longer.

That said, it does sound like some things in live have been trivialized - mercs apparently make soloing things far easier and more viable for all classes. The little I've read does indicate that modern Live raids are much more complicated than tank swaps and CH chains though.

Danth
04-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Honestly have no idea how someone could play EQ at age 7. Seems like it would be massively confusing and frustrating for an average kid at that age.

I played on P99 a little with my daughter when she was 6. I stuck her on a Cleric, since they can melee decently enough at low levels (knowing she wouldn't make level 20, let alone high level), have useful spells, and are fairly straightforward to play. She picked up on the basic functionality of the game soon enough, meaning the ability to melee, target things and consider them, heal/buff other players, etc. Her reading was poor (understandably, given her age at the time) so she couldn't effectively read spell descriptions or chat. Overall she liked the game, although it was scary for her at times. She then discovered Minecraft, which better suits her desire to play around and build things than the combat-oriented EQ.

-----------------------------------------

I was an adult when EQ originally came out, but I've done a lot of things on P1999 that were new-to-me in the sense of never having done them the first time around. P99 is NOT merely a nostalgia trip. Maybe that helped bring me here, but nostalgia alone sure hasn't kept me here for the past ten years. Game has a lot of good to it, in spite of its faults.

Danth

DromalPhrenia
04-17-2019, 11:34 AM
I'm not new to EQ but I have at least one friend who is brand new and it's cool trying to strike a balance between helping him and letting him learn things on his own.

I wouldn't throw full thurg on a brand new player but I'd at least show them strafe-running so they don't get murdered quite as often at low levels.

kjs86z
04-17-2019, 11:43 AM
I played Asheron's Call in the 99-04 era, hopped on the WoW train w/ everyone else in '05 and did vanilla / BC / little bit of wrath.

Took a long break from MMOs due to the way the whole industry was going.

RL buds kept harping on me to try p99. Said fk it, what class do we need?

Almost 3.5 years later I'm still here and loving it.

edit: sorry folks, but AC is still the best game ever made....no contest...EQ is a good enough substitute.

azeth
04-17-2019, 12:05 PM
edit: sorry folks, but AC is still the best game ever made....no contest...EQ is a good enough substitute.

Did you mean vanguard: saga of heroes?

Sonark
04-17-2019, 02:27 PM
That said, it does sound like some things in live have been trivialized - mercs apparently make soloing things far easier and more viable for all classes.If you're raid geared for that expansion, and actually know your class (which, again, most people don't because they play like it's 2001) you CAN solo with a merc, but don't expect to get any good drops or take on any namers unless you're one of the few solo classes.

So...basically like it used to be, except if you get more people, you don't have to wait on a healer because usually everyone has one.Which is b The little I've read does indicate that modern Live raids are much more complicated than tank swaps and CH chains though.Vastly.

Strats and cohesion aside, the individual also has to know how to maximize their DPS output, or you just plain won't do enough damage, even if you're doing everything else right.

p99 is more unforgiving in the early game, but actually being a good player on Live is harder in any way you want to talk about, even without getting into things like AA counts and gear.

mumpz
04-17-2019, 02:49 PM
ITT: people that didn't start with p99.

in all honesty OP, you are a rare breed. i can count the amount of players i know that started with p99 on one hand. its disappointing really. most people cant get past the graphics.

I Felt Nostalgic
04-17-2019, 03:50 PM
most people cant get past the graphics.

Every single time I have tried to get someone into EverQuest they can't get past the dated graphics. It's kind of depressing.

Danth
04-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Same experience here as the former two posts, most folks from newer MMOG's that I've introduced to P1999 typically didn't mind the mechanics but couldn't accept the outdated appearance. I can still play Atari VCS games and enjoy 'em for what they are so I guess I'm part of the minority.

Danth

DromalPhrenia
04-17-2019, 06:36 PM
These posts about people bouncing off the graphics are real sad :( EQ definitely isn't the prettiest game but so many of the graphics are full of personality! Games like FFXIV and ESO allow for a ton of pretty princess dress up, but no character in those games has the personality of an Ogre with a goofy face, no monsters are like goblins and their godawful posture and their buttcracks... nothing in those games can make me laugh like a little gnome in a robe with a giant specter ready to fuck you up.

No doubt some of it is nostalgia, maybe even a lot of it, but I think EQ has personality that a lot of MMOS (old and modern) lack. I have friends who decided to check out the classic Anarchy Online server and DAoC server, and I've played both of those games, but holy shit your character is just bad looking. I remember thinking DAoC was cool for having cloaks but man I cannot imagine caring about my character in that game at all.

Worry
04-17-2019, 06:44 PM
I started as a wee child in 01 I think.

Missed classic in both unfortunately

Hopefully I'll be ready for Green.

Phenyo
04-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Never played EQ before p99 now im a scummy elflord who rules these lands

Psyborg
04-18-2019, 01:15 PM
I played Asheron's Call in the 99-04 era, hopped on the WoW train w/ everyone else in '05 and did vanilla / BC / little bit of wrath.

Took a long break from MMOs due to the way the whole industry was going.

RL buds kept harping on me to try p99. Said fk it, what class do we need?

Almost 3.5 years later I'm still here and loving it.

Awesome story! People discovering P99 without ever having played EQ are my favorite type of people.

Out of curiosity, is there a legacy AC project and, if so, why aren't you playing that over EQ? Glad you're enjoying this awesome game either way!

kjs86z
04-18-2019, 01:59 PM
Awesome story! People discovering P99 without ever having played EQ are my favorite type of people.

Out of curiosity, is there a legacy AC project and, if so, why aren't you playing that over EQ? Glad you're enjoying this awesome game either way!

I played on Darktide (pvp server). There are private AC servers but there has yet to be a server run by players that aren't tarnished by greed and wish to have an advantage over other players.

Too many exploits, cheats, etc on the private servers to have a fair pvp environment.

Our motto back on DT was always "exploit early, exploit often." It was the most ruthless, savage, unforgiving gaming environment ever conceived. Aside from some guild alliances / truces, it was essentially kill or be killed. We looked down on EQ players to be honest.

P99 is a super chill, friendly environment with all the glory of an old school MMO included. Exactly what I was looking for as an old washed up gamer.

FungusTrooper
04-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Did you mean vanguard: saga of heroes?

I'm sad Vanguard wasn't better than it was. Such great ideas.

I loved the idea of the seamless, explorable world. I loved the idea of the diplomacy system, and the house owning/customization, etc.

But yeah, man I didn't enjoy actually playing it, lol.

Jlpstrtkng
04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Honestly have no idea how someone could play EQ at age 7. Seems like it would be massively confusing and frustrating for an average kid at that age.

I started my first character when I was around 6 or 7 after watching my dad play. I picked a Druid and I think the highest I ever got was level 9. You’re right about the more intricate functions of the game. Those I never really learned till years later but you can kinda figure out melee and spells and commands if you’re a decently smart child and know how to read

Jorlaan
04-19-2019, 05:10 PM
I started in EQ back before Kunark came out and played on and off until WoW came out. I only ever got my druid main to 55, but had 4-5 other chars from low to mid 40's.

I played Shards of Dalaya on and off for many years, starting back when it had hundreds of people online at a time. It is in all honesty a very good upgrade of many of the mechanics that were/are SUPER frustrating in older EQ/P99, but as it is a custom world it's "not EQ", so most people weren't interested in checking it out. Now it's basically dead but a lot of questionable decisions by the newer devs over the years helped that along...but this is not a place to harp.

I started on P99 a couple years ago, only in the last few months have I started playing more often. I was unsure of whether I wanted to start a THIRD EQ game from the start but I now have a 31 monk main and am enjoying myself. This is a great community.

sacman08
04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
I started in 1999, saw the game as a top 10 seller at CompUSA. I thought the graphics looked poor at best compared to other games that were out, so I waited to buy and I talked to a co-worker who had played. He made it sound like a great game; thousands of people all together playing in a gigantic world. I bought EQ and I made a druid in Surefall and ran out to Qeynos Hills to adventure.. and was promptly killed by a Gnoll pup (lvl4 vs me lvl1). I got hooked immediately.
Eventually I had two groups of friends, EQ friends and Asheron's Call friends. I played between the two games regularly depending on who was on first. We all tried WoW at some point when it came out but pretty much all of us went back to EQ or AC.
After PoP my SK was largely nullified and no one wanted to group with me anymore, so I solo'ed most of 61 to 65 and after dinging 65 quit EQ in spite. I was tired of the game, it wasn't fun anymore it was hours and hours of work just to level.
When P99 came out I heard about it and tried my game again, I still had the original EQ install CD's. Of course they didn't work as I needed at least Titanium install. Got everything running and then realized P99 was kinda like live EQ in 1999 but different.
The community of people in P99 is way higher class of people than those who played on live, still there is a way of doing things on P99 versus what worked on live so it does require playing and learning what the P99 server considers good. (i.e. the level up via what zones at what levels.)

Silken
04-22-2019, 09:09 AM
A friend of mine (who I had moved away from in '92), tracked the progress of the game on Usenet for years, and both (eventually) got on the game the day it opened. I created a human rogue and he created a human cleric. At some point during the first week we got into an argument, because he was obsessed with knowing when I was poisoned, even the weakest of poisons, and we got into an argument when I stopped telling him about the short duration poisons that did next to no damage, so that he wouldn't waste all his mana curing them. He basically just rage quit that day, and I never saw or heard from him again, LOL.

Zuranthium
04-23-2019, 03:07 PM
sorry folks, but AC is still the best game ever made....no contest...EQ is a good enough substitute.

Asheron's Call was ahead of its time in terms of being zoneless and having better character customization, but the game itself was quite empty and didn't have as many interesting design details.

Nibblewitz
04-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Started EQ here!

Played WoW from classic to pandas, then some friends dragged me here.

Enjoyed the grind rather than quest hubbing, resource management, high-stakes cause and effect, and spell particles!

enjchanter
04-23-2019, 04:10 PM
I started my first character when I was around 6 or 7 after watching my dad play. I picked a Druid and I think the highest I ever got was level 9. You’re right about the more intricate functions of the game. Those I never really learned till years later but you can kinda figure out melee and spells and commands if you’re a decently smart child and know how to read

Yeah that was it pretty much. I played a mage and was explained that i summon my pet and click this button to make it fight and i cast this spell on the thing im trying to fight and if i get in trouble run to guards , so on so forth.

Made it to level 20! Probably by staying in crushbone for way too long

strongone70
04-23-2019, 06:40 PM
I started in 1999 three weeks after launch. Played on Tribunal sever, my guild Vis Veres.

Naonak
04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
I played from way back in 1999 on and off all the way up until December 2018. :)

Played on Tarew Marr which is the Drinal server now after the merges.

How the game has changed over the years.

I even tried the Phinny server (Daybreaks old school progression server). What a joke they are. No corpse run needed, only need to go to your corpse if you want the xp back, as all items are on you when you spawn. Faster leveling, global channels, LFG features, shared bank, in game market place to purchase xp potions etc and so on.

But seem to be a great money grab.:eek:

I quit in Dec 18 after another piss poor DB expansion release, just another few Kunark revamp zones at level 110 with more AAs added. :mad:

I joined the forums here in 2017 looking for old guild mates that maybe playing here, but have not found any as yet.

I googled p99 after trying to find a new game to try. But, nothing caught my eye, apart from wanting to try p99. Its been almost 5 months of casual playing now.

Oh, how much of the original EQ you forget when live has changed so much over the years. No maps, no merc to rez you, having to find groups, ports, rezzes, friends/mate to help you adventure.

How much I have missed this on live. I have the itch once more. I play a 60 High Elf Cleric who is Epic'ed now. Tagging along killing GODS and so on once more :)

Vexenu
04-23-2019, 09:48 PM
A friend of mine (who I had moved away from in '92), tracked the progress of the game on Usenet for years, and both (eventually) got on the game the day it opened. I created a human rogue and he created a human cleric. At some point during the first week we got into an argument, because he was obsessed with knowing when I was poisoned, even the weakest of poisons, and we got into an argument when I stopped telling him about the short duration poisons that did next to no damage, so that he wouldn't waste all his mana curing them. He basically just rage quit that day, and I never saw or heard from him again, LOL.

Your friend just wanted to roleplay as a poison curing specialist and you denied him that. Early EQ had all kinds of weird role playing like that. I remember some people played Monks and refused to equip any items whatsoever. Let's not even get started on the Warriors who rolled small races and stacked AGI because they thought it made them harder to hit.

d3r14k
04-23-2019, 10:06 PM
I remember a dude who would only use rapiers and role-played as a fencer. He was a good lad.

Swish2
04-24-2019, 05:21 AM
I remember a dude who would only use rapiers and role-played as a fencer. He was a good lad.

Whatever happened to him? Dare I ask.

d3r14k
04-24-2019, 09:19 AM
He got stabbed in the heart by a better fencer.

I'm not sure though, really. We were friends in live and then we lost touch. Two roleplayers passing in the night.

In before:

https://i.imgur.com/tlHCzJ2.jpg

Secrets
04-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Threads like these are why I wanted to contribute in the first place to P99: I hope that future generations and those who didn't get the opportunity get to try this wonderful game out.

Caillou
04-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Saw the commercials for the game when I was 7-8 but never got into it. Saw a post on something awful years and years ago now asking for people to join in a rush on this new Everquest classic pvp server called red. Been in love since albeit not always happily.

Edwadragon
04-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Grew an interest in eq when i was around 6-8 watching my uncle and babysitter's son play (i was a super easy kid to baby sit, literally just watched other people play video games..). Wasn't allowed to play because I was too young but I remember my uncle letting me give it a go when I was 8 ish toward when he quit playing. It was a thanksgiving dinner and I remember being ecstatic that he said I could try it. played for hours! went up for dinner, ate as quick as I could then ran back down to play till we had to leave. After watching what felt like hundreds of hours of the game, I was so ready. I buckled down and played the living heck out of that Shadowknight. I don't remember what level I got too, obviously not far but it was enough. I never got to play EQ again, continued to watch till my uncle quit and changed babysitters when I changed schools and it was out of my life... but the passion was still there....

Fast forward a few years and for christmas when I was 12 I got a bit of cash. Boxing day we went shopping and I strolled through electronics and WoW caught my eye. Of course at this time it was still vanilla... and I had JUST got a new computer (new to me, it was pretty junky). Asked my dad to read the requirements for the game and when he said it should work i bought it with just about all of the money I was given because it didn't need a credit card. I felt like I beat the system! I was never allowed to play MMOs because of a credit card but WoW could use pre-paid time cards!

So at this point... WoW was king to me. Played that game like it mattered. Had two friends who were always on right after school like me and we had the time of our life. Life went on and I got a newer computer and started trying other MMOs. Part way through BC I quit WoW (for the first of probably 6 or 7 times) and I jumped on every damn new MMO that came out. I could easily say without counting I've played over 25 MMOs (certainly didnt lvl cap every one) over the last 15 or so years but never even considered going back to try original EQ (but from what everyone is say i didn't miss alot). Everything from Korean grind fests to cartoon Weeb food but WoW was always what I went back to. It was just right... for so long... but as I'm sure everyone knows that game has slowly treaded down the path of entertainment rather than achievement (no i dont mean the achievement system, I want the weapon I'm holding to say I slayed a dragon, not some stupid digital plaque).

So friends... and after jumping into p99 2 months or so ago, and meeting great people that I play with night after night, and seeing repeat faces in our favorite camps, I truly feel I can say "friends". I have to say I truly feel like I have found the experience I have been longing for since the first time I quit WoW. I just dinged 30 last night on my Enchanter, Cathodin, committing genocide to the goblins under highkeep and I am still loving every second. I feel a bit like when I finally hit the level cap on my main I will have completed a very large chapter in my life going all the way back to when I was watching other people play the game and I got to give it that short try... It's actually almost a little nerve wracking... but damn it, is it fun.

More on enertainment vs achievement... all of the best stories are forged in adversity. Recent MMO developers seem to not realize this.... they look at adversity as the death of entertainment. When I walk into work in the morning and I chat about EQ, there's always a small recount of the more spectacular deaths (or not so spectacular ones... like using my new troll illusion in Erudin after buying it...) or close calls that truly leave lasting memories.

TLDR; pretty much started EQ here after seeing it as a kid and I love it. Also, bring adversity back to the MMO genre.... look at the dark souls series... obviously there's a market for those that want a challenge or to beat their head against a wall...

Sonark
04-24-2019, 08:53 PM
TLDR; pretty much started EQ here after seeing it as a kid and I love it. Also, bring adversity back to the MMO genre.... look at the dark souls series... obviously there's a market for those that want a challenge or to beat their head against a wall...All of that exists on Live.

Literally all of it.

This p99 elitism is really peculiar.

Edwadragon
04-24-2019, 09:08 PM
Well to be completely fair to live, I havn't played it sinse that time when i was 8... so i suppose when I'm done here (which I imagine I will eventually be) I'll give it a go as well.

d3r14k
04-25-2019, 09:13 AM
All of that exists on Live.

Literally all of it.

I think where a lot of the P99 elitism comes from is that Live seems like it has driven itself so far from the source. Yes, the content is still there, but it's such a deviation from what it used to be. Compound that with the mish-mash of features that came out over however many expansions and it's just a jumble of unplayable nonsense. In Live's rush to stay relevant, it tried to take facets from modern MMOs and cram them into EverQuest.

If I wanted to play a modern MMO, I'd play one (but none are very good, which is why I'm here until *cough* Pantheon 2026).

I'd also argue that there isn't much adversity left in Live, but I'll concede that I could be wrong there because I haven't played it in ages.

Just my two cents. If someone enjoys Live, I won't lambaste them for it. I just look at it and see it as an abomination and know it won't ever be for me.

urbanbo
04-25-2019, 02:23 PM
I started in June of ’99 on Tholuxe Paells. My coworkers at the time were nonstop talking about it – every – single – day. The thing that clinched it was when they started talking about killing orcs in Crushbone across a bridge and then this guy named Dvinn came out of his castle and killed everyone. I remember starting in Felwithe just in front of the bridge on the right side. I must have stood there for 5 minutes wondering WTF is going on. I also remember how hated wizards were because they could KS everything – even from your group. This was when damage was still calculated individually even if you were in a group.

Gohie
04-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Bought my 1st computer in 99 So I can stay up late playing. Picked the Xegony server at random. Did meet my wife 1 or 2 year After playing. Before quitting we play together all the time. Well like most was the people new friends we met along the way

Sonark
04-25-2019, 07:24 PM
I think where a lot of the P99 elitism comes from is that Live seems like it has driven itself so far from the source.Ok Yes, the content is still there, but it's such a deviation from what it used to be. Compound that with the mish-mash of features that came out over however many expansions and it's just a jumble of unplayable nonsense."Unplayable nonsense"

I'm sorry, what.

"Unplayable"

...a game that people still play, continue to play, and continue to learn more about to get better at playing...

Is unplayable.In Live's rush to stay relevant, it tried to take facets from modern MMOs and cram them into EverQuest.It didn't try, it succeeded at implementing those things.

"cram" has connotations of its own, but the really "bad" stuff that people seem to really dislike around here don't exist on Live, or are entirely optional.If I wanted to play a modern MMO, I'd play one (but none are very good, which is why I'm here until *cough* Pantheon 2026).A lot of the vague things people seem to throw out about "modern" MMOs doesn't apply to Live, that I've seen, and a lot of those things are also completely optional.

If you want to run, take a boat, or have a pocket Druid or Wizard to get you around, you can.I'd also argue that there isn't much adversity left in Live, but I'll concede that I could be wrong there because I haven't played it in ages.I'm sorry, but what adversity exists on p99 except for starting out with no gear? "Classic" has been catalogued and researched TO DEATH to the point that there's a wiki and also this message board for trivializing anything you're not sure about.

There are things to get you through a lot of levels that don't mean much of anything anymore because the game is focused towards the top end on Live, but good luck not being awful at your class, and even better luck getting into the raid scene.
I just look at it and see it as an abominationThis is the only thing you've said that I can't actually successfully argue against, because it's objective opinion.

You don't like it, and it's fine to say you don't like it, but don't make up justifications out of thin air.

Not liking something is fine. Making things up to rationalize it when it's irrational is not.

It's like you meant to provide an answer for the elitism, and then just...described your own elitism.

Edwadragon
04-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Frankly, Sonark, you sound like a Live fanboy. Which is totally fine. I'm a fanboy for plenty of things, but it doesnt mean I'm a buzz kill for those that aren't.

You mention how things are optional which clearly shows you dont get what I or others are saying about adversity. I'm new here but I have to imagine a large part of the reason there is a draw to p99 is you HAVE to do it the hard way, or long way, or the more inconvenient way or janky as fuck way. And also probably because it's not been overcomlicated with system after system. And so that when you reach what ever milestone you want to get to and you see someone at or with that milestone, you have the mutual respect that you both lived through "the grind" and it was the same grind. Not that I optionally decided to make up some hardcore mode only for myself with no reason other than to hamstring myself when compared to everyone else.

You LITERALLY contradicted yourself to that end! You wanna know what's even more optional than taking a boat or druid ring? Use of the wiki you just said trivialized p99. Which I did do by the way till lvl 12 when i realized I should really do some reading and when I realized I screwed up and put 25 int 5 cha on my enchanter instead of vice versa.

If youre going to just walk into a post and on the p99 forums and start whining about all of the p99 elitism and telling everyone their wrong... first maybe look at the top of the page and realize that if there was ever a place for "p99 elitism" it's probably exactly here. And also realize that if you you're going to start throwing around terms like "good luck not being awful at your class, and even better luck getting into the raid scene" maybe you should check your "elitism". What ever that means.

Sincerely,

Everyone who's just here to have a good time with some people they met online.

Evia
04-25-2019, 08:06 PM
This is the only thing you've said that I can't actually successfully argue against, because it's objective opinion.

You think that any of what you posted was a successful argument on your behalf? You're ego is making you delusional. The hilarious irony of the whole thing is 95% of your 'successful' responses were literally your objective opinion. Do you work for daybreak? Cause you're definitely drinking their koolaid.

d3r14k
04-25-2019, 08:49 PM
It's like you meant to provide an answer for the elitism, and then just...described your own elitism.

Since you wanted to break down the rest of my post, I'd read this bit again:

Just my two cents.

You seem to be taking this really personally. I wasn't necessarily trying to start an argument, but you look to be doing an Alamo last stand type thing while standing on Live's hill. And frankly, any elitism you accuse me of for stating my opinion seems disingenuous when you respond in kind. I'm glad you enjoy Live and that people still play it. I don't want it to die or anything. But IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, SIR, it's not even remotely the same game other than the EverQuest name.

Ennewi
04-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Edwadragon
TLDR; pretty much started EQ here after seeing it as a kid and I love it. Also, bring adversity back to the MMO genre.... look at the dark souls series... obviously there's a market for those that want a challenge or to beat their head against a wall...

All of that exists on Live.

Literally all of it.

Classic has its rage-inducing moments, but Live doesn't come anywhere close to Dark Souls.

Ok"Unplayable nonsense"

I'm sorry, what.

"Unplayable"

...a game that people still play, continue to play, and continue to learn more about to get better at playing...

Is unplayable.

Barbie Magic Genie Adventure is also playable, but very few grown men are going to derive any enjoyment out of it unless they have daughters who insist dad plays along and even then... I'm not comparing the two games, just pointing out that you're being argumentative rather than debating the issue, taking what he said literally when it was clearly meant as a figure of speech.

If you want to run, take a boat, or have a pocket Druid or Wizard to get you around, you can.

If you want to, you can. That's a far cry from having to because no other option exists.

I'm sorry, but what adversity exists on p99 except for starting out with no gear?

Night blindness. Book in the face (eventually, hopefully). Hybrid xp penalty (once upon a time). Lackluster bow damage. Limited spell slots. Manual song twisting. Separate banks. Etc.

The fact that you're so offended by what one or two people on here think says a lot. The general public lambastes classic as archaic and graphically bad, but most of the community here just laughs it off and goes back to playing. We're either too addicted or too mature now to care, or both possibly.

There's nothing wrong with liking checkers, but you're comparing it to chess and then calling us chess players elitists. Or maybe a better comparison would be Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering? Skyrim and Morrowind?

Sonark
04-27-2019, 03:01 AM
Frankly, Sonark, you sound like a Live fanboy.No.

You're all p99 fanboys, and have complete fabrications and misconceptions about what Live EQ is, or how to play it, and no one here likes to have that bubble burst.

Sonark
04-27-2019, 03:03 AM
And frankly, any elitism you accuse me of for stating my opinion seems disingenuous when you respond in kind.Incorrect.

Your justifications are hot garbage, and I've successfully argued against them, but the fact of your opinion insofar as having it is fine.

Which I've said. But IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, SIR, it's not even remotely the same game other than the EverQuest name.It's not the same game.

That is correct.

Sonark
04-27-2019, 03:12 AM
Classic has its rage-inducing moments, but Live doesn't come anywhere close to Dark Souls.No, but neither does p99?

Neither of them are anything like Dark Souls, or anything like as hard as Dark Souls.Barbie Magic Genie Adventure is also playable, but very few grown menHahaha what in the fuck.

What a ridiculous, belittling, elitist thing to say. are going to derive any enjoyment out of it unless they have daughters who insist dad plays along and even then... I'm not comparing the two games, just pointing out that you're being argumentative rather than debating the issue, taking what he said literally when it was clearly meant as a figure of speech.You are horrifically bad at making points and making a sound argument.

I'm being "argumentative" only in the sense that there are things being said that are demonstrably wrong, and I have the information to counter those comments with facts.

You guys are elitist as fucking shit.
If you want to, you can. That's a far cry from having to because no other option exists. Ok?Night blindness. Book in the face (eventually, hopefully). Hybrid xp penalty (once upon a time).It's great you named three things that don't actually exist on p99. Lackluster bow damage....then don't use a boy? This isn't a point, either. Limited spell slots.Limited?

There isn't an infinite number of spell slots on Live, either. Manual song twisting.It would definitely surprise you to learn this, but actually being good at your class on Live involves key binding and manual use of your abilities.

p99 Bard is average player, again if you're actually GOOD, for every single class on Live, and everyone here likes to talk about how hard that is. Separate banks. Etc.This...isn't adversity?The fact that you're so offendedI'm offended by awful arguments and justifications.

I'm going to keep repeating this, because all the elitists are popping out of the woodwork and flying off the handle, but fundamentally having an "opinion" about something isn't something I or anyone else can take away from them.

But when they attempt to bolster that "opinion" with absolute nonsense, that absolute nonsense is absolutely something I can address and debate.by what one or two people on here think says a lot. The general public lambastes classic as archaic and graphically bad, but most of the community here just laughs it off and goes back to playing. We're either too addicted or too mature now to care, or both possibly.Ok, so, wait.

Basically, you should know exactly what it's like to have someone belittle and dismiss the style and type of game you like to play, because people do that to you about p99.

But then...you turn around and do exactly that about Live, and you don't see the lesson here?There's nothing wrong with liking checkers, but you're comparing it to chess and then calling us chess players elitists. Or maybe a better comparison would be Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering? Skyrim and Morrowind?You are genuinely awful at metaphor.

Sonark
04-27-2019, 03:14 AM
You think that any of what you posted was a successful argument on your behalf? You're ego is making you delusional. The hilarious irony of the whole thing is 95% of your 'successful' responses were literally your objective opinion. Do you work for daybreak? Cause you're definitely drinking their koolaid.I'm not even sure why you're here.

Swish2
04-27-2019, 03:40 AM
You know they're biting when they separate out 7-8 quotes of a previous post.

Ennewi
04-27-2019, 06:45 AM
No, but neither does p99?

Neither of them are anything like Dark Souls, or anything like as hard as Dark Souls.

I stated that Classic EQ wasn't on par with Dark Souls and only alluded to it being in the same ballpark; Live has been tailgating in the parking lot. Bad metaphor?

What a ridiculous, belittling, elitist thing to say.

Followed by the disclaimer that "I'm not comparing the two games." Personally, I like pompous and silver spoons better than elitist, but at least you incorporated some alliteration.

You are horrifically bad at making points and making a sound argument.

I wasn't going for a sound argument. I was going for laughably absurd, taking your literal interpretation to the extreme to add some perspective.

I'm being "argumentative" only in the sense that there are things being said that are demonstrably wrong, and I have the information to counter those comments with facts.

Reacting emotionally versus responding thoughtfully / arguing versus debating.

You guys are elitist as fucking shit.

See, this would be an example of reacting emotionally.

It's great you named three things that don't actually exist on p99.

Night blindness exists and the hybrid xp penalty existed for the longest time and (likely) will reemerge on the Green server.

then don't use a boy? This isn't a point, either.

Bows not being viable is a point, and a valid one at that. You, the player, are all but restricted to one form of damage output--melee--and the alternative places you at a marked disadvantage. Really, I should have just said that the entire Ranger class was the embodiment of adversity. This leads into a finer talking point, which is that classes aren't balanced here.

Limited? There isn't an infinite number of spell slots on Live, either.

Did I say Live had an infinite number? No. Live has more slots and more spells to choose from and players can expect even more in the future, just as players expected back in classic waiting for the first and second expansion.

It would definitely surprise you to learn this, but actually being good at your class on Live involves key binding and manual use of your abilities.

It wouldn't...I knew that from speaking with players who went to Fippy and Phinny, and others who still play on Live. Again, players can make the effort to be exceptional but they don't have to because less demanding alternatives exist.

This...isn't adversity?

Separate banks create adversity to the extent that players often resort to ground transfers, waiting for guild members to help, or trusting complete strangers not to make off with their pixels. Those risks lead to more memorable experiences and these forums have numerous threads describing those experiences in great detail in case anyone somehow forgets them.

I'm offended by awful arguments and justifications.

I'm going to keep repeating this, because all the elitists are popping out of the woodwork and flying off the handle, but fundamentally having an "opinion" about something isn't something I or anyone else can take away from them.

You love the other version. Hey, good for you. Whatever floats your boat. But that can skew your perception of it. Parents are often the same way about their kids, who in their minds can do no wrong (hence the dad/daughter Barbie game metaphor).

Ok, so, wait. Basically, you should know exactly what it's like to have someone belittle and dismiss the style and type of game you like to play, because people do that to you about p99.

But then...you turn around and do exactly that about Live, and you don't see the lesson here?

Except I wasn't belittling or being dismissive of Live; I made comparisons which you assumed were disparaging. Morrowind is harder to get a handle on than Skyrim. Fact. Morrowind offers more creative freedom for players. Fact. Morrowind came before Skyrim. Another fact. In those ways Classic EQ is more like Morrowind and Live is more like Skyrim. Opinion?

Also, the lesson here is to remain largely unaffected by what others say and to instead consider their point of view as one would when roleplaying a character. It's even easier to do online with the relative anonymity and the delay between each post.

You are genuinely awful at metaphor.

You're one to judge. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2541154#post2541154) I fail to see the connection between the two. The metaphor only works when comparing EQ and WoW to DC and Marvel.

The three examples I used implied that while Live is still more popular, it is also more accommodating and, as a result, less rage-inducing than Classic. Yes, the playerbase on Project1999 has discovered ways of making their own accommodations, but the staff has also taken a fair number of those accommodations away, with less-than-classic fixes which have induced similar levels of rage on these forums.

Madbad
04-27-2019, 12:04 PM
Reported for egregious misuse of the quote function.

Danth
04-27-2019, 12:16 PM
I don't like the "live" game because I think it looks ugly, has uninspired content design, lousy dungeons, and I detest things like NPC players (mercenaries) and alt. advance. How's that?

Danth

Ennewi
04-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Reported for egregious misuse of the quote function.

Quoted for egregious misuse of the report function.

Edwadragon
04-27-2019, 08:03 PM
No.

Yes.

Sonark
04-28-2019, 05:02 AM
I stated that Classic EQ wasn't on par with Dark Souls and only alluded to it being in the same ballpark;Which is horrifically inaccurate Live has been tailgating in the parking lot. Bad metaphor?Yup.Followed by the disclaimer that "I'm not comparing the two games."That you weren't comparing the two games isn't relevant. The relevance comes with the point of comparison and the dismissive, condescending attitude, which is hilaaaaaariously ironic.

If you'll notice, the only point of comparison I've made between the two games is that Live is objectively harder to play. I've made no other comments or insinuations about anything other than the horrifically elitist people that play p99. Personally, I like pompous and silver spoons better than elitist, but at least you incorporated some alliteration.Gosh mister.I wasn't going for a sound argument. I was going for laughably absurd, taking your literal interpretation to the extreme to add some perspective.Still horrifically bad at bringing anything tangible to the conversation, yup.

This isn't some meta level shit on your part.Reacting emotionally versus responding thoughtfully / arguing versus debating.I'll wait to be given what you consider are my emotional responses, because you're going to be wrong.See, this would be an example of reacting emotionally.Oh we're already there.

Lovely.Night blindness exists and the hybrid xp penalty existed for the longest time and (likely) will reemerge on the Green server.Oh boy!
Bows not being viable is a point, and a valid one at that. You, the player, are all but restricted to one form of damage output--melee--and the alternative places you at a marked disadvantage. Really, I should have just said that the entire Ranger class was the embodiment of adversity. This leads into a finer talking point, which is that classes aren't balanced here. Wow you mean Classic has balancing issues?

Like how everyone says ignore every other stat and throw it into Stamina out of the gate, almost but not quite regardless of Class?Did I say Live had an infinite number? No. Live has more slots and more spells to choose fromYeah but not enough slots to suit all the situations and play styles, without re-memming.

Like people have to do here.It wouldn't...I knew that from speaking with players who went to Fippy and Phinny, and others who still play on Live. Again, players can make the effort to be exceptional but they don't have to because less demanding alternatives exist.p99 is the least demanding alternative to currently playing EverQuest, I agree.
Separate banks create adversity to the extent that players often resort to ground transfers, waiting for guild members to help, or trusting complete strangers not to make off with their pixels. Those risks lead to more memorable experiencesYou literally can't quantify "more memorable"

It's not something that has anything of meaning or value outside of the immediate, subjective sense.

You could literally sum up your entire post with "I find p99 more memorable/meaningful" and just stop there, but here you are, going on about nothing. and these forums have numerous threads describing those experiences in great detail in case anyone somehow forgets them. People had a good time and remembered those.

That's good.

Not sure why that's separate or unique from...any good experience anyone has ever had in any avenue of life, but gosh golly gee whizYou love the other version.Do I? Have I said that, suggested it, or dismissed p99 as "unplayable" or made comparison between it and a game for children that "grown men" would never derive enjoyment from?

Because I'll way for you to show me where I did that, and all that you have to do is re-read this thread to see where people said that about Live. Hey, good for you. Whatever floats your boat.It is genuinely absurd that you're even bothering to say this. But that can skew your perception of it.Continuing the ironic absurdity. Parents are often the same way about their kids, who in their minds can do no wrong (hence the dad/daughter Barbie game metaphor). Hahaha guy.

There was no "deeper meaning" to your metaphor other than you being a fucking cunt, and being really fucking bad at making a point.
Except I wasn't belittling or being dismissive of Live; I made comparisons which you assumed were disparaging.Now you're backtracking and lying?

Fuck off, guy.Morrowind is harder to get a handle on than Skyrim. Fact.Yes.

It's not relevant, but yes.Morrowind offers more creative freedom for players.Also true, also not relevant.Morrowind came before Skyrim. Another fact. In those ways Classic EQ is more like Morrowind and Live is more like Skyrim. Opinion?The meta game of Live being on a completely different level of what p99 offers completely, utterly and objectively destroys this comparison.

You are so fucking bad at this.Also, the lesson here is to remain largely unaffected by what others sayNo one here has yet evoked an "emotional" response from me.

There's people saying stupid fucking things, and me pointing out why they're fucking stupid things to say. and to instead consider their point of view as one would when roleplaying a character. It's even easier to do online with the relative anonymity and the delay between each post.You have a hard on for p99 and are an awful debater.

That's all I've learned from you.
You're one to judge. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2541154#post2541154) I fail to see the connection between the two. The metaphor only works when comparing EQ and WoW to DC and Marvel.K?The three examples I used implied that while Live is still more popular, it is also more accommodating"accomodating" to what, exactly?

That's never been specified. and, as a result, less rage-inducing than Classic.So...even though you haven't put the same amount of time into it, you've never gotten as mad and so...that makes it...less than...what?Yes, the playerbase on Project1999 has discovered ways of making their own accommodations, but the staff has also taken a fair number of those accommodations away, with less-than-classic fixes which have induced similar levels of rage on these forums.So...this is about a specific kind of rage that you've felt?

Can you just say that?

"This game makes me a specific kind of angry I can't get anywhere else."

Just say that.

Don't bolster what is a perfectly fine opinion with really awful nonsense.

Just have it, own it and live it. Because that's fine.

Sonark
04-28-2019, 05:15 AM
I don't like the "live" game because I think it looks ugly, has uninspired content design, lousy dungeons, and I detest things like NPC players (mercenaries) and alt. advance. How's that?

DanthEehhhh fair enough?

Ugly is sort of in the eye of the beholder, "uninspired content" is more mindless fluff that doesn't have any real meaning or value, particularly when basically everything that came after the original game is more or less technically "inspired" by what came before, so is kind of a backhanded way to say you don't even like the thing that you originally try to say you like, and "lousy dungeons" is something else that's just gonna make me squint and wonder wtf the reasoning behind that is, but you can not like mercenaries until the cows come home or alternate advancement and that's okay.

"I just don't like it" is the only sensible argument anyone here has brought forth.

quido
04-28-2019, 05:28 AM
P99 was my first EQ and first MMO experience. Got hooked basically immediately.

Edwadragon
04-28-2019, 06:22 AM
Sonark is hurt. horrifically so.

Hah.

d3r14k
04-28-2019, 08:45 AM
I've never seen someone state so many opinions and then declare they won an argument with facts. Quoting someone and simply responding does not equal a success. I think it'd serve you well to take that away from this "argument", since that's what you seem to want to make it.

But really, I'm impressed at your mental gymnastics. Continue on, Sonark.

Ennewi
04-28-2019, 01:54 PM
Sonark, talking to you is like typing text at a fanatic NPC whose part of some obscure, repetitive quest that was never fully implemented. It's amusing at first, but then frustration sets in with the realization of just how meaningless and unrewarding this will be if I even succeed in getting a different response out of you. Consider the replies in this thread as bug reports for your mind. I award you no points and may the devs of the universe have mercy on your account.

honeybee12874
04-29-2019, 02:23 PM
Hi there, just wanted to chime in!

Yes, P99 is my first ever experience with Everquest!

I had never heard of the game until last year when my boyfriend showed it to me. He used to play on Live (started when he was 11 or so) and now plays on P99 for the nostalgia and the community.

At first I thought the game looked pretty uninteresting, but I would watch him play sometimes. Finally, I was convinced to create my own character in August 2018! And now here I am, another P99 addict! :D