PDA

View Full Version : Will you be getting a guise of the deceiver on green99?

Swish2
04-29-2019, 06:13 AM
Lets have a poll <3

Do you see yourself as a guise owner?

Jimjam
04-29-2019, 06:18 AM
There are plenty of custom servers where I am sure it is easy enough to get your hands on a guise, or even buy a mana stone on blue.

The real scarcity is server filled with 1999 excited nerds struggling through content, sharpening their rusty two handed swords, turning animals into tattered armour and making real decisions of which spells to skip.

I'm going to embrace that aspect as I don't know if I could really find that anywhere else again.

Then after a fortnight I'll return to blue :D.

DMN
04-29-2019, 06:34 AM
There are plenty of custom servers where I am sure it is easy enough to get your hands on a guise, or even buy a mana stone on blue.

The real scarcity is server filled with 1999 excited nerds struggling through content, sharpening their rusty two handed swords, turning animals into tattered armour and making real decisions of which spells to skip.

I'm going to embrace that aspect as I don't know if I could really find that anywhere else again.

Then after a fortnight I'll return to blue :D.

Filthy bluebie.

Jimjam
04-29-2019, 06:56 AM
Mate, I am going to start a redbook guild on red! then on an alt account create a competing red book guild, and there will be wars and bloodshed and tea!

Coridan
04-29-2019, 07:54 AM
I'm rolling a Dark Elf SK, so I don't really see a point in getting it

azeth
04-29-2019, 07:55 AM
I'm rolling a Dark Elf SK, so I don't really see a point in getting it

Hybrid exp penalty is going to be a nightmare, again.

Coridan
04-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Hybrid exp penalty is going to be a nightmare, again.

That's why it's only a Dark Elf and not a Troll/Ogre

jolanar
04-29-2019, 09:09 AM
Too casual to even bother tbh. Not worth the drama.

Lurgort/Sseri
04-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Already have two guises on Rise of Zek from 'nilla Era when PvP was fun.
Going to avoid this one...

Cen
04-29-2019, 09:42 AM
I would actually sacrifice all my blue characters and their possessions to start a fresh human karana ranger on blue with the mask and nothing else, because its the thematic character I would want more than anything.

But I cant win a fight with all those green people who will go for one. Its too stressful.

Yasi
04-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Ill go dark elf warrior, so there is zero risk of guise or manastone charming me into the clusterfuck their camps will cause.

Jimjam
04-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Ill go dark elf warrior, so there is zero risk of guise or manastone charming me into the clusterfuck their camps will cause.

Mana stone tradable.

maskedmelon
04-29-2019, 11:43 AM
just want to confirm that I will not be getting a GotD.

Yasi
04-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Mana stone tradable.

Not for a very long time.

Squabbles123
04-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Guise? Screw that, I want Rubicite Armor!

azeth
04-29-2019, 01:49 PM
Don't forget to get hyped about Lustrous Russet

AnthonyHJ
04-29-2019, 02:50 PM
So... Why is guise such a big thing? I understand why people are excited about the manastones and fungus-covered staves, but is a DE illusion clicky really all that exciting?

Of course, I have a DE enchanter, so maybe my perspective is skewed...

Byrjun
04-29-2019, 03:17 PM
So... Why is guise such a big thing? I understand why people are excited about the manastones and fungus-covered staves, but is a DE illusion clicky really all that exciting?

Of course, I have a DE enchanter, so maybe my perspective is skewed...

It's a major status symbol. Being able to play a Dark Elf Paladin/Ranger/Shaman/Monk is just cool.

And it has practical uses for large races so they have an easy way to shrink in dungeons.

Danth
04-29-2019, 05:24 PM
Voted no. I have a guise on my Paladin and I barely use him anyway. What do I need another for?

Danth

Snaggles
04-29-2019, 05:28 PM
How much time until it's nerfed?

I can't imagine grinding up a class that I would want to play with one (pally or ranger, for me) quick enough with the xp penalty and then sitting it out in a group or waiting for the group.

I duo'ed the camp years ago with my brother for his bard. Took us like 14 hrs w/o any contesting. Maybe crap rng or the drop isn't as common now but damn...

Edit: Hmm DE monk. Ok maybe.

Expediency
04-29-2019, 05:48 PM
I am excited to try green, I welcome the huge clusterfuck the first few weeks will bring. Zero interest in spending time trying to get a gotd though, and I would only get a manastone if I somehow fell ass backwards into possession of the camp.

Danth
04-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Manastone's an interesting case because it isn't Lore. Early on some individuals hoarded bags full of those things, in some cases individually holding the camp for days at a time if not more.

If "green" follows the original timeline, we'd have that stuff for something over 6 months. Most of those items were removed in October '99. The pre-expansion era lasted a little over thirteen months, from mid March '99 until late April 2000 when Kunark finally opened.

Danth

Osprey39
04-29-2019, 09:43 PM
It's a major status symbol. Being able to play a Dark Elf Paladin/Ranger/Shaman/Monk is just cool.

And it has practical uses for large races so they have an easy way to shrink in dungeons.

Status symbol for hardcore nerds maybe. Also, just because you illusion you to a DE ranger so you can pretend you're friggin' Drizzt, everyone knows you're still a wood elf. I'll concede the point about large races being able to use it to shrink but that's still not worth wasting time on to me.

Troxx
04-29-2019, 10:53 PM
Too casual to even bother tbh. Not worth the drama.

hillgiantchamp
04-29-2019, 11:45 PM
I played on this server in oct 2008 shortly after its launch. I remember i hated the guise. Raids where awful. 90% of the people where dark elf. Everywhere you go you only see dark elfs. It killed the immersion for me. Didn't know who was who on a raid with 30+ people. I refused to get one for that reason. Its only cool once you cant get them anymore and years have gone by.... Did camp 2 manastones tho. Oh man is that camp rough. Think it took me roughly 36 hours straight or something dumb for the first one. Good thing i was single at the time. Wont be getting one now married and with a 10 month old baby working 5 days a week. But I am looking forward to a ranger with lustrious russet and a mistwalker (probably wont happen tho because there will be so many people who want it to). I did however get a dark elf mask on blue during a gm event (actually got 2 of the 3 that dropped during the event and gave one to my brother) on a 60 dwarf cleric. Was really nice for being able to bank and sell in evil citys.

shout out to <Rusty Longswords> and <Transcendence>

unleashedd
04-30-2019, 12:26 AM
i wont be getting a guise, manastone, or rubicite armor. between kiting my dogs, PLing my kids, backstabbing the wife, and raising my gardening skill, i am too casual to have a chance at those items...

DromalPhrenia
04-30-2019, 12:36 AM
whats even the lowest level alt you can train into the ass up camp? a good aligned cleric can head straight to L guk, is one DA enough to bumrush the camp?

branamil
04-30-2019, 12:56 AM
no because I have a job

JayDee
04-30-2019, 01:37 AM
It won't be as cool when everyone has it

waffel
04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
no because I have a job

Why not play at work like everyone else?

Rimitto
04-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Why not play at work like everyone else?

good to know what the NYTimes staff is doing all day. :rolleyes:

Moerne
04-30-2019, 12:29 PM
No interest. I usually play DE's, so it would have no point for me. Manastone on the other hand would be nice, but I'm not enough of a masochist to even try.

DromalPhrenia
04-30-2019, 09:01 PM
it'd be cool to be a dark elf druid with a manastone i guess but nah i dont even know if i'll play green. might check it out at launch just to do it, but i feel like it'll lose its shine FAST

no one answered my question about the easiest class to train a group at those camps either :(

Swish2
04-30-2019, 10:45 PM
No interest. I usually play DE's, so it would have no point for me. Manastone on the other hand would be nice, but I'm not enough of a masochist to even try.

This is a great point, my cleric, enchanter and SK are all dark elves (and would DE again), and if I ever level a wiz or mage it would also be a dark elf :p