PDA

View Full Version : Wiki ZEM question

Budder
05-01-2019, 09:19 AM
In the ZEM guide on the wiki in the slots there’s 75 and 100 in the levels. What do those numbers mean?

Elysium
05-01-2019, 09:25 AM
% modifier to experience gained. i.e. 100% means you get normal amount of xp from mobs, 75 means you get 0.75x xp (a penalty), and 140 would be 1.4x the xp.

Swish2
05-01-2019, 09:33 AM
From what I remember, "75" is your standard XP zone, any higher than that and it has a positive modifier.

The only zone lower than that is Lake of Ill Omen.

d3r14k
05-01-2019, 10:49 AM
I'd caution anyone to take those ZEM numbers as an absolute truth. It's a good general guide, but they aren't exact.

Only the staff knows exact ZEMs and any research to figure them out yourself will be a lengthy experiment.

loramin
05-01-2019, 11:01 AM
From what I remember, "75" is your standard XP zone, any higher than that and it has a positive modifier.

This. When talking about ZEMs a ZEM of "75" means a zone with no modifier. I don't know who came up with that number, but for whatever reason that's the baseline. Most people don't like having to think that way though, so in many places where ZEMs are discussed people do the math to convert them into percentages, making a ZEM of "75" = a ZEM of "100%".

I'd caution anyone to take those ZEM numbers as an absolute truth. It's a good general guide, but they aren't exact.

Only the staff knows exact ZEMs and any research to figure them out yourself will be a lengthy experiment.

This. In general the P99 devs almost always picks classic mechanics over classic experience, but ZEMs are an incredibly rare exception. Their logic, as I understand it, is that no one playing on live knew the ZEMs unless they cheated by using ShowEQ (which, incidentally, is how all the EQemulator people before P99 knew the exact correct ZEMs from live).

Therefore they changed them here to restore the mystery, so players couldn't just look at the live/EQ Emulator numbers. But they didn't change every zone or change any particular zone too dramatically, so the old numbers are still somewhat useful to players, which is why they're still mentioned on the wiki.

Personally I'd welcome a player alliance to work together to experiment and determine some actual ZEMs, and would happily assist in it ... but it's far too massive of a task for me to start on my own, so I keep hoping that someday someone else will organize it.

Budder
05-01-2019, 11:06 AM
Thanks all!