PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation between Enchanter, Cleric or Mage?

Hagglebaron
05-06-2019, 07:19 PM
For Green 99 I plan on playing one of these three. I spent most of my time on Blue tunnelquesting when I played here, so I'd love to hear some feedback on what the experience of these classes will be.

Cleric I assume will always need a group, but will always be welcome in one and in great demand for guilds as well?

Mage good solo, but how is their potential in groups viewed by most people?

Enchanter has a ton of potential I know, but in groups their role seems very demanding with the crowd control and babysitting a charmed pet that can murder you in a couple rounds of combat.

Thoughts?

DMN
05-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Mages are going to be excellent DPS on a new server with melee classes running around with wet noodles. Though if they keep the original necro pet quirks necros will crap all over mage (and anyone else's DPS) if you give their pets fine steel daggers.

Cleric is one of the most boring classes in groups but one of the most mentally taxing in a raid situation. You will certainly be in demand for guilds and such. Enchanters are the opposite of all the cleric aspects above, and the server is probably going to be filled with them.

Hagglebaron
05-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Mages are going to be excellent DPS on a new server with melee classes running around with wet noodles. Though if they keep the original necro pet quirks necros will crap all over mage (and anyone else's DPS) if you give their pets fine steel daggers.

Cleric is one of the most boring classes in groups but one of the most mentally taxing in a raid situation. You will certainly be in demand for guilds and such. Enchanters are the opposite of all the cleric aspects above, and the server is probably going to be filled with them.

I'd like to be welcome in groups, the only classes I did play on Blue were shaman and necro, and while as a necro I could offer value between dps, charm pet in certain places, hp tapping and feeding to party, crowd control etc, groups often seemed to pass over necros frequently believing them to be soloers with little to contribute to a group.

Mages are badass in vanilla I recall yea, but don't they go downhill hard and fast in their 50s in Kunark?

DMN
05-06-2019, 08:30 PM
I'd like to be welcome in groups, the only classes I did play on Blue were shaman and necro, and while as a necro I could offer value between dps, charm pet in certain places, hp tapping and feeding to party, crowd control etc, groups often seemed to pass over necros frequently believing them to be soloers with little to contribute to a group.

Mages are badass in vanilla I recall yea, but don't they go downhill hard and fast in their 50s in Kunark?

Mages and wizards start sinking after kunark, sure. Only due to charms do necros and enchanters avoid the same fate. So what expansion do you want to "focus on? Vanilla, kunark, or velious? if you want to know about velious there is no reason to even add the qualifier p99 "green" because that's were blue is right now. People are going to say enchanter or cleric, and i told you what the main differences are going to be with them if your main focus is raiding/grouping.

Hagglebaron
05-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Mages and wizards start sinking after kunark, sure. Only due to charms do necros and enchanters avoid the same fate. So what expansion do you want to "focus on? Vanilla, kunark, or velious? if you want to know about velious there is no reason to even add the qualifier p99 "green" because that's were blue is right now. People are going to say enchanter or cleric, and i told you what the main differences are going to be with them if your main focus is raiding/grouping.

Well following the classic timeline, we have 2 years of vanilla, a year of Kunark and presumably a year and a bit of Velious correct? So a strong vanilla showing is good, but I'd like to remain at least somewhat potent in Kunark/Velious.

I Felt Nostalgic
05-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Wizard

Topgunben
05-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Come October 2019, my local drug dealer will be delivering me a large quantity of meth. Ill also be calling in sick with Cancer.

168 continuous hours of continuous uninterrupted gameplay should do the trick, regardless of which class I choose.

And people say Everquest is unhealthy..... psh.

Swish2
05-07-2019, 04:11 AM
Honestly if you play a class that's required versus the one you really want to play you're going to burn out.

My first main to the mid-50s on P99 was a cleric. Great class, does big things, but I learnt I'm not as keen sitting passively at the computer watching health bars. You burn out if your heart isn't in it. Hindsight it's nice to have an epic cleric for rezzes.

I think the server will even itself out. I can see there'll be a bunch of people wanting to do "guise druid", "guise ranger", "guise monk". That's fine, but there's going to be some kind of bottleneck if people don't want to play key classes... and people will filter into those classes for LFG time reasons <3

Osprey39
05-07-2019, 06:49 AM
Make some friends and make your own 6 man team. As long as you have a tank, healer and some CC, friends (hopefully) aren't going to care what you play.

That's the way it was back in the day and I'd like to think that still holds true today. I don't know though. The friggin' web these days has gotten everyone thinking they have to be powergamers to play any game no matter what so who knows.

Yasi
05-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Stop thinking about min maxing and start enjoying the game by playing whatever class you like.

All three classes have their strengths in vanilla as well as later expansions. Although chanter and necro might be stronger dps than mages due to charm, you don't often find groups with more than 1 chanter or necro (so there's room for a mage!) unless you're grouping with min maxing neckbeards and then you'll probably prefer to leave anyways.

Given that chanter and cleric fill roles only they can fill adequately in later groups, they'll find a group more easily than a mage.

Cleric will find group the easiest due to naturla short supply of clerics.

Chanter has strongest solo potential. "demanding" is a strong word: you tash+charm a pet every 5minutes and tab through mobs to mez after pull. Dunno if I'd call this "demanding".

Mage will be able to find something to solo as well.

Cen
05-07-2019, 09:12 AM
A guise brell paladin will round things out :p