PDA

View Full Version : Earthquakes?

Dark_Magic
05-30-2019, 10:48 AM
On Halloween 2018, Nilbog posted the following change under News & Announcements:

"0-3 Simulated Respawns will occur each month; 1-3 being the normal amount, and 0 existing as a possibility if we cannot do them at all."

Since then, I'm not sure we've had a single month with 2 or 3 quakes. 0-1 seems to be the norm. Are these automatic now since the Chardok 2.0 patch, or are they still manually triggered?

theonesler
05-30-2019, 10:57 AM
There is a thread about whether they are automated or manual. It seems most people are under the impression some are manually triggered. For instance, the one that happened the day before Mother's Day definitely seemed triggered. Similarly, the one that happened the evening of the new ToV raid mechanics release was 100% triggered, given it came with a message from Rog.

I think most people would enjoy more Earthquakes. I've only been around since the New Year so I'm sure there is a lot of history in this department that I am unaware of.

My ideal situation would be an earthquake week/repop week rotation:

Week 1 - Quake
Week 2 - Repops
Week 3 - Quake
etc.
etc.
etc.

But that's just me :)

aaezil
05-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Seems 0-1 falls between 0-3 move to resolved

Freakish
05-30-2019, 11:18 AM
It's supposed to say per year. Month is a typo and will be resolved in the next patch.

Menden
05-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Majority are manually triggered by Nilbog, him and Rogean are the only ones that know when they are going to happen.
Rogean did one the other day that was pretty out of the blue and not part of Nilbog's normal cycle.

Be happy they happen at all.

Legidias
05-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Was that the one that he prepared memes for in ToV lol

rezzie
05-30-2019, 02:25 PM
The latest quake had exciting new yellow text without the BROADCASTS message.

Hideousclaw
05-30-2019, 02:28 PM
Majority are manually triggered by Nilbog, him and Rogean are the only ones that know when they are going to happen.
Rogean did one the other day that was pretty out of the blue and not part of Nilbog's normal cycle.

That was the one where you said your patented "10 min" and he decided to spring it on that 10min mark for funsies?

Good times were had.

saftbudet
05-30-2019, 03:07 PM

No not happy they happen. Because all earthquakes are america prime playtime.

With no earthquakes atleast most ffa raid targets will eventually space out and have more varied spawn time.

Legidias
05-30-2019, 03:32 PM
Cause rogean / nilbog aint gonna wake up at 4:29AM just to trigger EQ.

Arm_Chair_Hero
05-30-2019, 03:55 PM
When Braknar left, he stated it was being manually done in a thread on reddit... Not sure if it should be taken with a grain of salt or not.

Either way it can be inferred through various patterns / facts that Earthquakes are manually done, or atleast have been for a time now.

Legidias
05-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Theyve (earthquakes) always been manually done. They were even officially announced as being manually triggered.

Server resets are different.

Menden
05-30-2019, 06:22 PM
That was the one where you said your patented "10 min" and he decided to spring it on that 10min mark for funsies?

Good times were had.

hah, yeah pretty much. The troll got trolled. Players benefited! :)

Twochain
05-30-2019, 06:43 PM
No not happy they happen. Because all earthquakes are america prime playtime.

With no earthquakes atleast most ffa raid targets will eventually space out and have more varied spawn time.

You didn't move to the East Coast of america to be closer to the server for quicker coths and optimal raid time? You sound pretty casual TBH

But for real, that's a selfish thing to say. "I don't like earthquakes because i'm asleep when they happen"

The majority of p99 players live in North America. Those who don't, but want to raid make it happen.

You want Raid targets to be spread out.......... that shit is terrible. And it's not like <Infernus> or <Europa> are going to have a better shot at getting a target over riot or aftermath if Lady M spawns at 5am EST. For example.

Menden, we are thankful for earthquakes. Dear lord are we.

zodium
05-31-2019, 04:35 AM

To be fair, I think people fundamentally aren't expressing a lack of gratitude for earthquakes, or desire for Nilbog to get up at 4AM, so much as a desire for automating them entirely. Automating earthquakes would be one of the best possible changes P99 could make for the raid scene. It has been for a long time now.

Two dependable quakes a month significantly eased a lot of the problems on the raid scene that existed at the time. For one, they removed the obstacles to lower-tier guilds realistically competing. They effectively broke the expertise stranglehold A/A held. They brought content spawn rates up in line with classic rates accounting for patches, significantly easing congestion and lowering the incentives to act in a cutthroat manner. But after a couple of months with no or only a few quakes, people stopped to feel the quakes were dependable (and again, it's not a matter of gratitude level here), and so the incentives gradually reverted back to "assume no quakes will happen, just in case they don't."

The perception of dependably regular quakes did a lot of real, tangible work for the raid scene. Sure, quakes are just tons of fun in and of themselves. And we all appreciate the fun we get out of the quakes! But the other, to my mind much more desirable benefits depend on people believing that quakes will happen, for sure. I don't think you have to be ungrateful to think it's a damn shame such a powerful tool so often seems to get neglected.

Edit: even better than twice a month would be a flat 1/15 chance per day to trigger a quake at a randomly rolled time to prevent people gaming conditional probabilities
Edit the second: it bears stating that given the above, the change from 2 to 0-3 quakes a month in a poorly conceived attempt to solve the conditional probability problem was a monumental self-own

loramin
05-31-2019, 11:09 AM

Love the new avatar Menden!

loramin
05-31-2019, 11:11 AM
To be fair, I think people fundamentally aren't expressing a lack of gratitude for earthquakes, or desire for Nilbog to get up at 4AM, so much as a desire for automating them entirely. Automating earthquakes would be one of the best possible changes P99 could make for the raid scene. It has been for a long time now.

And to be even fairer, Nilbog literally said he was going to automate the quakes (many months ago). I'm always one of the first to defend the staff and try to remind people how grateful we should all be for this server, but when the the project's co-founder tells the player base he's going to do something, I don't think the player base is in the wrong for expecting that thing to happen.

Menden
05-31-2019, 12:16 PM
Love the new avatar Menden!

Finally a Marvel character I can relate to, I was so happy.

saftbudet
05-31-2019, 01:19 PM
Thank you gms for an euro time quake!!

Hugs!