PDA

View Full Version : Enchanters, how's life at 60?

dekova
06-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Lots of stuff is immune to charm and mez now, yeah? Do you get grumpy that your tools don't work? Do you still feel valuable/needed in groups and raids? What's life like as a 60's enchanter?

I've done a shaman to high 50's and thinking about an enchanter for green, wanted to get feedback from those who have gone before me.

Legidias
06-05-2019, 11:18 AM
You sit in velks at BM and farm flawless diamonds

Baylan295
06-05-2019, 11:42 AM
I love playing my Enchanter. It’s my only toon at 60, but he’s been 60 for a year and I still don’t get tired of it. I have lots of options in terms of doing fun stuff, am almost always useful in a group or raid, and can frequently contribute in meaningful ways.

Lots of people say that enchanters are just buff bots on raids, but there is a lot more to it on most raids - you can charm, blur, bind sight, and with the right tools engage and work on FTEing and holding mobs out of camp. People that are buff bottling aren’t getting the most out of their class - and in some raids, enchanters are absolutely critical (looking at you Hate and Fear).

Crede
06-05-2019, 11:50 AM
enchanters are extremely boring at 60 in all aspects of the game IMO, except maybe if you want to solo some cool shit and make money. Don’t get me wrong, I loved leveling my enchanter and is my only lvl 60, but just not fun at 60 unless you are really trying to be optimistic like Baylan.

I’d recommend to anyone to start a druid,mage, or enchanter, get rich and then twink out a char that you’ll enjoy more in the end game. For velious raiding, that’s pretty much melee classes, excluding pal/sk, and clerics.

For green? Well I never played classic, but that might be the one exception where cc is so critical to breaking the planes, enchanters should see a lot more action there.

indiscriminate_hater
06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
enchanters are extremely boring at 60 in all aspects of the game IMO, except maybe if you want to solo some cool shit and make money. Don’t get me wrong, I loved leveling my enchanter and is my only lvl 60, but just not fun at 60 unless you are really trying to be optimistic like Baylan.

I’d recommend to anyone to start a druid,mage, or enchanter, get rich and then twink out a char that you’ll enjoy more in the end game. For velious raiding, that’s pretty much melee classes, excluding pal/sk, and clerics.

For green? Well I never played classic, but that might be the one exception where cc is so critical to breaking the planes, enchanters should see a lot more action there.

In other words: don't play the one class that's truly capable of controlling game mechanics. Instead play an exciting class, like one where you put on autoattack

Karthil
06-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Chanter at 60 feels broken--in a good way. Maybe not Torpor Shaman broken, but pretty damn close.

Sure you likely won't be charming much in NToV (you can now charm the hatchlings though, so maybe you will!), and mezzing becomes less of an option on some of those encounters, but for those instances you can be a reliable goalie or use mem blur.

Some of the highest end encounters your pet dps will be the highest dps at the raid (Troopers for AoW, sprites for Tunare, juggs for Trak, etc.). It's exciting because it's high risk and high reward, and you need to be on your toes.

Plus, for any non-raid encounters late-game, enchanters are beat in solo ability only by torpor shaman and some mega-geared monks, and I don't think there's a better duo partner out there with a healer. It's a pretty rare zone where you can't find a charmable mob that can stand up to the lvl 55+ mobs with haste, slow, and heals.

Lvl 60 chanters are fun, powerful, and incredibly versatile.

Mblake81
06-05-2019, 12:18 PM
but just not fun at 60 unless you are really trying to be optimistic like Baylan.

hes not optimistic, that is what is done.

Ah, Min/Max. Knights are useful once again, hell so are druids. You are saying only play a rogue, monk, warrior or cleric for raiding. Guess that epic mage is useless as well and so are their summoned items.

I will take every class in game, come on over to Riot where you won't be min/maxed to death.

P/S: Bards are Bards, they do what they do.

Crede
06-05-2019, 12:21 PM
In other words: don't play the one class that's truly capable of controlling game mechanics. Instead play an exciting class, like one where you put on autoattack

Right, except they’re buff bots/situational charmers on raids. Not at all melee turn on auto attack. Want to stay active at 60? Roll a monk/bard as I see you already have.

I posted a thread about the most fun class at 60. Rangers actually won by a long shot, with bards coming in second. Enchanter was maybe mentioned once? 90% of what made you love your enchanter isn’t carried into the end game. If you’re cool with that, roll it but velious clearly favors melee classes.

Crede
06-05-2019, 12:27 PM
hes not optimistic, that is what is done.

Ah, Min/Max. Knights are useful once again, hell so are druids. You are saying only play a rogue, monk, warrior or cleric for raiding. Guess that epic mage is useless as well and so are their summoned items.

I will take every class in game, come on over to Riot where you won't be min/maxed to death.

P/S: Bards are Bards, they do what they do.

Wrong, I’m no min Maxer. I love my erudite pally. But they simply aren’t needed in raids until later expansions where knights were truly critical. OP is talking about feeling valuable in raids. You can make it work if you love your class, but if you’re more concerned about feeling valuable, those really aren’t the classes to do it.

enjchanter
06-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Enchanter is super fun, it's the only class besides my up and coming bard that I can log in and instantly have fun no matter what I'm doing that day.

Charming is awesome! I have a fascination for magically forcing monsters to fight their friends in every game I play and luckily enchanters in EQ's have the best charm function I've seen in any game. Plus charming instantly gives you the best tank / dps available at any level. Inviting an enchanter for dps is completely legit.

Soloing is a big thing for me. I tend to not enjoy relying on people and being subject to the LFG waiting room. Enchanyer offers you the best solo experience because you can literally solo 99% of the game via various methods.
Sniping names at the bottom of a dungeon solo is the best feeling. Have caught and killed chottal at 5 am many a times!

But I want friends ! Well enchanters are among the most highly sought after classes for groups. Hell, some groups wont start without one. Even if for nothing other than c2 and haste, you are a huge boon to your group.

The world is your playground, enchanters when played right are gods among mortals. If you're not enjoying an enchanter at 60, I think you are not pushing the boundaries enough !

Baylan295
06-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Right, except they’re buff bots/situational charmers on raids. Not at all melee turn on auto attack. Want to stay active at 60? Roll a monk/bard as I see you already have.

I posted a thread about the most fun class at 60. Rangers actually won by a long shot, with bards coming in second. Enchanter was maybe mentioned once? 90% of what made you love your enchanter isn’t carried into the end game. If you’re cool with that, roll it but velious clearly favors melee classes.

I raid in a top end guild and categorically refute that enchanters have to be buff bots. I am plenty active and play a critical role on raids. Then I get to go and solo damn near anything I want.

Gimp
06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
I raid in a top end guild and categorically refute that enchanters have to be buff bots. I am plenty active and play a critical role on raids. Then I get to go and solo damn near anything I want.

I haven't played in forever, but chanters are certainly more than buff bots and could be a force in FTE races back in the day. Not sure if they still do those though.

Mblake81
06-05-2019, 01:24 PM
The recent TOV changes have made every class included again. The raid isn't min/maxed with the poverty attitude that only those who make that work are needed.

Jibartik
06-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Playing an enchanter is plying playing everquest with a game geine (https://youtu.be/C86OsYRACTM) that has mana.

06-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Playing an enchanter is plying playing everquest with a game geine (https://youtu.be/C86OsYRACTM) that has mana.

Unless there is anything that you can Theft of Thought, then its impossible to actually spend that much mana. Honestly though, Enchanters are busted. They function completely naked and still scale well with gear.

Ravager
06-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Nothing is really fun at 60 though to be fair. At 60 you're just parking places and filling slots. When the leveling is done, things get pointless fast.

Jibartik
06-05-2019, 06:14 PM
Nothing is really fun at 60 though to be fair. At 60 you're just parking places and filling slots. When the leveling is done, things get pointless fast.

The irony is, I'd argue that the only thing fun at 60 is what you can do with a chanter or shaman haha

Ravager
06-05-2019, 06:39 PM
And that's why we all still play this stupid old game, different aspects appeal to different people.

Tecmos Deception
06-05-2019, 06:59 PM
90% of what made you love your enchanter isn’t carried into the end game.

90% of players don't spend much time in tov or st or whatever. There's shitloads of solo, duo, group, and raid content where enchanters are enchanters.

Jibartik
06-05-2019, 07:01 PM
After all these years Im just trying to fricking spawn this level 15 little sob brownie.

Rang
06-05-2019, 09:10 PM
I'd imagine chanter, necro, and mage will be among the top of the board when it comes to number of classes online on green for the first few months. Enchanters will be in extremely high demand for all of the high end camps (can't break efreeti or lguk camps without a good monk or enchanter). They are easily the strongest caster in classic. I don't think there is another class that could solo efreeti in classic actually.

P99Druid
06-05-2019, 10:31 PM
Chanter at 60 feels broken--in a good way. Maybe not Torpor Shaman broken, but pretty damn close.

Plus, for any non-raid encounters late-game, enchanters are beat in solo ability only by torpor shaman and some mega-geared monks

Enchanters are better than torp shamans, and way better than monks.

Baa
06-05-2019, 11:41 PM
Will let you know once I get to 60, however it has taken me 9 years to get to level 58 - so i imagine I should hit level 60 in approx 2022.

Quinas
06-06-2019, 02:48 AM
Will let you know once I get to 60, however it has taken me 9 years to get to level 58 - so i imagine I should hit level 60 in approx 2022.

I hear that. Been stuck at 57 for nearly a year and took me 6 years to get to 57.

Been enjoying my Shammy though, nearly 34.

Baylan295
06-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Enchanters are better than torp shamans, and way better than monks.

There are some things that shamans can solo that enchanters can’t, but enchanters can solo a lot more things that a Shaman can’t, IMHO.

You don’t really see shaman doing deep dungeon soloing often, or anything in SG, because charm is the most incredibly broken spell in the game for solo play.

Slow is a close 2nd, though.

Jibartik
06-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Depending on what you want to kill an enchanter is better than a shaman, but depending what you want to kill, a necro is better than an enchanter...

So it all depends, like the crypt? better to be an enchanter... IMO

For Giants and WW? Better to be a shaman... IMO

for crypt? Arguably better to be a necro cus enchanter is overkill kinda... and necro has no "OH SHIT moments"

So it all depends on how and what you like to do and play.

Vizax_Xaziv
06-06-2019, 05:06 PM
I'd imagine chanter, necro, and mage will be among the top of the board when it comes to number of classes online on green for the first few months. Enchanters will be in extremely high demand for all of the high end camps (can't break efreeti or lguk camps without a good monk or enchanter). They are easily the strongest caster in classic. I don't think there is another class that could solo efreeti in classic actually.

Mage especially (at least during classic)

Halfcell
06-06-2019, 07:10 PM
I have not played a 60 chanter on P99, but I had one on Agnarr, which was similar at the time. It is, without any doubt in my mind, the most powerful class at 60. Even better than a Torp Shaman, which is what I play on P99. Raiding kind of sucks on a chanter because melee are needy biotches and haste drops too fast, but with charmed pets your DPS can get really gross.

DromalPhrenia
06-06-2019, 07:24 PM
It's extremely fun outside of Raids, and still plenty of fun IN raids, although that depends on what role you're playing. Some raids really make use of your abilities (Charming for massive DPS, AoE groups to help massacre kites, really on-point mem blurs etc.) and some are less enchanter-specific roles that you're still good at doing, just not the only class that can do them.

Outside of raiding, you're insanely powerful but still very killable, so you still get that enchanter feeling where you either pull off something amazing and feel like a god, or you get unlucky or make a mistake and it all goes to shit. I don't really have points to compare to other classes, but Enchanters really only suffer at the very low levels, and I think they just get better and better as you level :D

Frudrura
06-06-2019, 07:52 PM
I think it is good but I only solo farm stuff.

DromalPhrenia
06-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Really, let me reiterate: BEING A LOW LEVEL ENCHANTER SUCKS ASS.

Luckily on green, mez will be super important since untwinked groups are not handling multiple mobs very easily, and you get mez at four :)

nostalgic99
06-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Can we give enchanter pets TWO same LORE weapons? I want to give the pet two Ghoulbanes with boon to do some serious damages to undead.

Ravager
06-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Really, let me reiterate: BEING A LOW LEVEL ENCHANTER SUCKS ASS.

Luckily on green, mez will be super important since untwinked groups are not handling multiple mobs very easily, and you get mez at four :)

Low level enchanters have it pretty easy. They can still split camps themselves, mez and root nuke and their animations aren't that bad as pets, especially with slow. They can bind anywhere, so long corpse runs shouldn't be a thing. It does suck they won't get mana regen till 29, but there's enough old world quests that give good loot and exp that can't be locked down, it hardly matters. Assuming you mean low level = sub 20.

1-20 is a cake walk with the old world quests for any class.

Troxx
06-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Enchanters are potent, important, and powerful at all levels.

The velious enchanter problem is just one of perception. The class enjoys nearly Demi-god status for most of its leveling career along with too many years in classic and kunark. When you have that much time with that much power it’s a cold splash of water in the face to get yanked down from low-earth orbit and be simply a comparatively strong class.

Plane of Growth raids (cc/charm the premier boss dps at the end).
Plane of Mischief shenanigans.
Kael premier dps.
Ruler of Sirens Grotto.
Velks high end camp mastery.
Same for DN because ... well charm!

Enchanters remain intact with their tool kit for most of velious content (group and raid). There are, however some places parts of their toolkit is unavailable, and that’s hard for a class that isn’t used to being not overpowered.

Having some limited content where mez is ineffective and you don’t have a thing to charm isn’t a bad thing. Enchanters were never originally intended to have the most desired buffs, mastery over chaos, premier independent soloers AND be the best damage dealers. This is evident by the charm pet nerfs that came after GoD.

fadetree
06-07-2019, 10:05 AM
News flash:
People feel differently about things!

sentinel
07-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Personally, I stopped playing my enchanter at 56. I absolutely loved leveling up until then. I just got sicked of being responsible for the entire group's success. I'm often stuck with charming, slowing, CC, buffing, etc. Those aren't unreasonable responsiblities or anything, I just got tired of it.

My baby lizard monk is doing great in the Field of Bone!

White_knight
07-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Personally, I stopped playing my enchanter at 56. I absolutely loved leveling up until then. I just got sicked of being responsible for the entire group's success. I'm often stuck with charming, slowing, CC, buffing, etc. Those aren't unreasonable responsiblities or anything, I just got tired of it.

My baby lizard monk is doing great in the Field of Bone!

Yah I agree with this. Had chanter on red and agnarr and I felt people would go hands off in groups and just expect you to do all the work.

Misek84
07-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Whether u like enchanter at 60 depends entirely on your play style. If you like pressing auto attack and take frequent afk breaks than enchanters arent for you. If you like challange, figuring out new strats, and thinking outside the box than ench are the best.

Solo/due - at 60 ench are probably the best at soloing high lvl content, tied only with shamans. You can solo things like A4 on PoM, SG, and other things most classes could only do in full groups. There was a thread few years ago with challenges with what an ench can solo and some very skilled enchs were able to solo some crazy things. Its more high risk and stressful than sham cause charms can break at any time, mobs summon, your pet that broke charm is usually buffed alot, and ench wear cloth. Each high end solo encounter is unique strat and involves a steep learning curve to be able to solo successfully. While on a sham the strat is generally the same (root/debuff/dot) and more stable.

Groups - Ench are very good in group situations and you wont have trouble finding groups. Not only are you crowd control which is fun in of itself, if your a good ench you take a pet which probably would make you the highest dps in group. Once again your ability to afk is limited since pets can break anytime, so a frequent afk’er cant really take pets.

Raids - This is what your average ench will find boring especially by velious raiding. Most just become buff bots. However, the few motivated and skilled ench can really shine in raiding, peting troopers in kael, mem bluring adds in tov, being instrumental in pulls. A really good ench can b very useful in raids but it involves taking on risk and finding unique ways to contribute to different encounters instead of just being a buff bot.

In the end it all comes down to you play style. If you prefer simpler life without much risk/stress than you’ll end up being just an average ench who just mez in groups and buffs at raids. But if you enjoy a challenge, motivated to learn ways to “exploit” game mechanics, figure out unique ways to handle different encounters, an ench enchanter can be very fun and do stuff other classes can only dream of.

Tuurin
07-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Can we give enchanter pets TWO same LORE weapons? I want to give the pet two Ghoulbanes with boon to do some serious damages to undead.

That won’t work. Ghoulbane is Primary only.

To answer your original question though, yes you can give 2 of the same lore weapons to a pet as long as they are Pri/Sec weapons and the pet will equip them both.

Zalaerian
07-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Give it two clubs of the ice ocean or conflag daggers. Just use two different toons to hand to pet and they equip

Jibartik
07-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Give it two clubs of the ice ocean or conflag daggers. Just use two different toons to hand to pet and they equip

Hmm it seems you have learned some tricks that make you more skilled at everquest than others. ;)

Zalaerian
07-09-2019, 03:06 PM
Hmm it seems you have learned some tricks that make you more skilled at everquest than others. ;)

Truth

Quinas
07-10-2019, 02:41 AM

Wouldn't want a conflag dagger to go poof :eek: