PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Solist's Icy Wand

Osprey39
06-21-2019, 06:27 AM
I have a 21 wizard and I've been told I should covet this item and I'm having trouble seeing why. It has a 5 second cast time and casts a spell that I only use at this point for finishing off stuff that is at 1 or 2% life. Why should I want this thing?

I can see it being useful to lower level wizards but at my level, it seems pointless. Am I missing something?

Cen
06-21-2019, 08:01 AM
You'll use it to the 50s even quadding. When at 0 mana it finished off stragglers , but maybe around 52 your meditate can outpace its dps

Legidias
06-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Cause nukes take mana. If you have a sow or something, or even just root, you can spam wand all day and end fights with >80% mana. 90% of wiz solo is downtime.

Tudar
06-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Clickies are the best way to conserve mana in classic.

Anything that you can click instead of cast will save you time in the long run, or sustain you during long fights / groups / raids.

In some cases its convenient as well in order to not use an additional spell gem. (SoW boots, Levi Cloak, See Invis bracer, Snare etc)

Crawdad
06-21-2019, 10:16 AM
I have a 21 wizard and I've been told I should covet this item and I'm having trouble seeing why. It has a 5 second cast time and casts a spell that I only use at this point for finishing off stuff that is at 1 or 2% life. Why should I want this thing?

I can see it being useful to lower level wizards but at my level, it seems pointless. Am I missing something?

From 12-20 its pretty amazing, but after that it can feel a little lackluster. Like others have said though, you will have times when mobs are at 1-5%, and not having to use mana to kill something is very nice, especially for wizards.

Add to that, there isn't really anything for wizards that increases their effectiveness too much. 200 int and sow potions/jboots lets you quad, temp flux staff lets you aggro, and then clicky nukes. Besides that, not much different from a naked wizard. Wizard life isn't too varied, I feel for em.

Ravager
06-22-2019, 07:52 AM
It's annoying to waste mana on a wandering orc pawn that breaks your meditation.

mycoolrausch
06-22-2019, 10:25 AM
velious era wizards are the worst class in the game and perhaps the worst class in the history of any MMO. FYI A level 24 wizard spamming nothing but that crap wand on a target will out dps a level 24 wiz using their very best nuke. Verant didn't realize wizards were bad until luclin when they fixed them.

fastboy21
06-22-2019, 01:07 PM
velious era wizards are the worst class in the game and perhaps the worst class in the history of any MMO. FYI A level 24 wizard spamming nothing but that crap wand on a target will out dps a level 24 wiz using their very best nuke. Verant didn't realize wizards were bad until luclin when they fixed them.

Mostly true. Still a fun class to play...and you will out dps lots of folks in grps and raids if you play right...because many of your teammates are semi-afk watching youtube videos.

P99Druid
06-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Mostly true. Still a fun class to play...and you will out dps lots of folks in grps and raids if you play right...because many of your teammates are semi-afk watching youtube videos.

If you have wizards topping damage in your raid then something is very wrong with your raid.

fastboy21
06-22-2019, 04:20 PM
If you have wizards topping damage in your raid then something is very wrong with your raid.

Did I say that they should top the parse?

mefdinkins
06-22-2019, 05:35 PM

wizards are still beast for certain fights lol and do amazing dps on kunark mobs. when you get VP loot you can do 21 dps w/ 0 mana on boss fights and 56 dps w/ 0 mana on regular mobs with rend robe and lurestick.

After my first Dain fight in Velious I'm pretty sure an epic mage pet out DPS'ed me, then the TL nerfs sealed the deal of depression and now I drop hella deeps on a rogue instead.

I still think a wiz is a vital part of raiding and necessary for any encounter especially when people are porting around for mobs with big windows but yeah isn't always the funnest class for everyone.

fortior
06-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Did I say that they should top the parse?

love trying my very best to climb out of the bottom 10%

Secrets
06-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Just roll a rogue. Much better class.

Rage16
06-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Anyone have a wand for sale, been trying to get one for over a week :(

Cen
07-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Anyone have a wand for sale, been trying to get one for over a week :(

The truth is that they actually get generated and sold as fast as they can be on the server since kurns is being vaporized 24/7, and few people play or want to play a wizard so the majority of the people want to sell it. The good news is it's quite inexpensive for how exceedingly rare it is.

aaezil
07-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Hey look a guy who has never killed a kunark dragon. Wizards are boss.

Cen
07-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Hey look a guy who has never killed a kunark dragon. Wizards are boss.

Artillery never took fortifications in history, therefore artillery has no purpose. The end :D

Muggens
07-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Go team Wizzerd!!! Boom!!!

Muggens
07-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Just roll a rogue. Much better class.

I love porting and quadding and nuking stuff on my rogue

Halfcell
07-01-2019, 08:33 PM

This is unfortunately so true. It's one of the many reasons that it makes me sad that Luclin will never release on P99. Wizards in one expansion go from port bots that you log out to play your rogue once the raid gets in zone, to clearly the top raid DPSers in the game in Luclin, which is imo what wizards were always intended to be.

Valura
07-01-2019, 10:13 PM
would not recommend wizard

Ravager
07-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Wizard is plenty fun if it's your thing. Beauty of this game is every class fits a different game style. It's why so many of us are still playing after two decades.

Muggens
07-02-2019, 07:37 PM
^Hear Hear^