PDA

View Full Version : Playing EQ with a steering wheel

cactus
07-13-2019, 06:12 AM
Would it be possible to play a bard on EQ with a USB steering wheel and pedals?

Could I twist with a shifter knob?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/logitech-driving-force-g920-wheel-gearstick-bundle-10139462-pdt.html

Serious question here.

Stryker85
07-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Yes this could technically work, and we will require video once you set it up pls.

Thulghor
07-13-2019, 06:34 AM
I really want to see this video. If this is awesome, I am going to get one.

Muggens
07-13-2019, 07:41 AM
I remember someone asking this a long time ago
Dunno how it worked out, cant search forums on my phone

Tuurin
07-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Tokyo Drift is the only reasonable choice for name if you can get it running right.

Sunderfury
07-13-2019, 12:32 PM
Heard of some future naming policy violations, subscribing to thread.

loramin
07-13-2019, 12:37 PM
https://www.project1999.com/forums/image.php?u=194677&dateline=1554429855

So with an avatar like that, I have to ask: did you pick it because you're a-maze-ing, or because you like hanging out in cages (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Ith)? ;)

tsuchang
07-13-2019, 04:57 PM
I'd like to see that video as well.

YendorLootmonkey
07-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Would it be possible to play a bard on EQ with a USB steering wheel and pedals?

Could I twist with a shifter knob?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/logitech-driving-force-g920-wheel-gearstick-bundle-10139462-pdt.html

Serious question here.

This is how Shinko pulls on his monk. Right pedal = move forward, left pedal = feign death, steering wheel to turn. Hit him up in a PM to see how he's got it configured.

kjs86z
07-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Monsterstickers Addhorsepower

cactus
07-18-2019, 04:14 PM
UPDATE:

steering wheel arrives tomorrow. If I can get it mapped property I'll post videos.

Hopefully I'll be swarming like this by this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBd5RY7GRo

kjs86z
07-18-2019, 04:36 PM
UPDATE:

steering wheel arrives tomorrow. If I can get it mapped property I'll post videos.

lol

Could you somehow set up the video at an angle behind you....so we can see the steering wheel / pedals AND the screen at the same time? That'd be amazing.

Muggens
07-18-2019, 06:33 PM
UPDATE:

Lol GL

Jibartik
07-18-2019, 08:57 PM
If you have any trouble with the wheels native ability to control your mouse and keyboard/everquest character, try Joy2key

I honestly think this is going to play out very well. With auto strafe/run and the ability to so smoothly adjust the mouse position with a steering wheel, by jove I sure do think it'll work!

I used joy2key to use a Xbox controller to play a rogue once and boy let me tell you rogues, do this. You really can get 80-90% of your abilities onto the keys and just xp or raid your day away leaning back maxin and relaxin.

I came up with a pretty nice system to simulate 3rd person console game style camera with the mouse wheeled out locked 3rd person cam. I set joy2key so that the RMB would be pressed while I was not holding the Left Trigger, and when I would hold the Left Trigger, joy2key would let go of the RMB. This made it so if I wanted to use the courser I would hold down left trigger, but if I let go of the left trigger the curser would disappear and mouse control would now rotate the camera. The right analog stick would control the mouse position, and with the RMB pressed down by default, that would pretty much give you a great 3rd person camera that felt like a console game camera and control, in case anyone wanted to try.

bodenn
07-18-2019, 11:11 PM
If you have any trouble with the wheels native ability to control your mouse and keyboard/everquest character, try Joy2key

I honestly think this is going to play out very well. With auto strafe/run and the ability to so smoothly adjust the mouse position with a steering wheel, by jove I sure do think it'll work!

I used joy2key to use a Xbox controller to play a rogue once and boy let me tell you rogues, do this. You really can get 80-90% of your abilities onto the keys and just xp or raid your day away leaning back maxin and relaxin.

I came up with a pretty nice system to simulate 3rd person console game style camera with the mouse wheeled out locked 3rd person cam. I set joy2key so that the RMB would be pressed while I was not holding the Left Trigger, and when I would hold the Left Trigger, joy2key would let go of the RMB. This made it so if I wanted to use the courser I would hold down left trigger, but if I let go of the left trigger the curser would disappear and mouse control would now rotate the camera. The right analog stick would control the mouse position, and with the RMB pressed down by default, that would pretty much give you a great 3rd person camera that felt like a console game camera and control, in case anyone wanted to try.

I do a similar method on a monk ran through a laptop onto my TV. I can sit on the couch and play. Its neat but the ratios are off on the UI.

kjs86z
07-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Times this weekend I will visit this thread in hopes of a video update: 10.

Optti
07-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Times this weekend I will visit this thread in hopes of a video update: 10.

yo same

Cen
07-20-2019, 04:13 PM
I've been mmoing with a foot pedal for interrupts for ages but no wheel lol

Evia
07-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Should I order a controller to play my rogue? Sounds like it could be fun...

I'd only need a button for sneak, hide, backstab, assist, target nearest npc, attack off (for evade) and activating disciplines. In theory this sounds quite possible and very enjoyable.

Jibartik
07-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Should I order a controller to play my rogue? Sounds like it could be fun...

I'd only need a button for sneak, hide, backstab, assist, target nearest npc, attack off (for evade) and activating disciplines. In theory this sounds quite possible and very enjoyable.

I think it really makes it fun if you get the new new xbox controllers, they have like 8 new buttons on the back, with those, then I think you could get everything youd want to do on a rogue, on a controller button 8)

loramin
07-20-2019, 08:49 PM
I think it really makes it fun if you get the new new xbox controllers, they have like 8 new buttons on the back, with those, then I think you could get everything youd want to do on a rogue, on a controller button 8)

It's all about the Steam controller: that thing is just about as customizable as you can possibly get without breaking the server rules.

The only downside is that (at least on Linux) you have to start Steam before you start EQ. Probably why I never use mine :(

Madbad
07-20-2019, 09:43 PM
I have messed around with my steam controller and EQ, there is certainly potential there.

Jibartik
07-20-2019, 10:55 PM
It's all about the Steam controller: that thing is just about as customizable as you can possibly get without breaking the server rules.

The only downside is that (at least on Linux) you have to start Steam before you start EQ. Probably why I never use mine :(

you're right, the only thing that sucks about this joy2key controller setup is the analog stick is analog (or is it not analog? Binary, its like go as fast as the mouse speed is immediately, no ramp or down, whatever that is) so the touch pad control that thing I bet is way better, I was meaning to try, I bought a 1 handed controller that looks like a space blaster that I was excited about but it was a piece and after that I moved on to other things.

But I am not sure about this steam/eq thing you speak of? Can you just not use the steam controller as a gamepad for any game?

tsuchang
07-21-2019, 03:09 AM
Mech Warrior had a large joystick that I think I'd like to try. Being old the mouse and track ball make my arthritis fuss.

Muggens
07-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Ive also played alot using a controller on my rogue. Works very well! Sounds like my setup too the way Jibartik explained. I believe my program was called Keysticks.

Havent really tried with any other class than rogue, but can vouch for it working like a charm on the rogue, any kind of setting. Switchinh to æ keyboard to type can be a hassle if ure very laid back comatose style

Jibartik
07-21-2019, 12:55 PM
I think any pure melee class can get away with puging with a controller and not having any problems, but once you get into the spell casting area and macros, it gets a little funky...

Now that I think about it, I think Ill try to setup my 1handed controller to try barding with, why not. It'd probably be easier to keep one hand on the controller and press buttons than try to feel around on the flat keyboard with my fat fingers while my dry ass eyes stare at the corner of my screen unblinking.

But I dont know why I'm telling you all any of that... Its not like Im going to make a video :o sorry.

loramin
07-21-2019, 01:14 PM
But I am not sure about this steam/eq thing you speak of? Can you just not use the steam controller as a gamepad for any game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/

You can use it for any game, but again I think you have to remember to start Steam first, which was always the annoying part for me.

And yes, it will definitely work better with melees than casters, but even casters can work, and that's a big part of why I like it over other controllers I've used. You've got four front buttons plus four left nav directions plus four "behind" buttons (there's also buttons on the bottom but they just trigger other buttons on top). Oh, and there's start/select and of course the joystick and right mouse.

If you throw SHIFT/ALT/CTRL onto a few of those buttons and then map most of the others to numbers, you wind up being able to trigger a whole bunch of stuff.