PDA

View Full Version : PSA: "guise" is pronounced "guys"

Videri
07-16-2019, 07:52 AM
With Green99 coming out soon, I believe this is an urgent announcement. "Guise" is not pronounced "goose" or "gweess" or "goo-iss" or anything of the sort. If you're not sure you believe this, just think of the related word "disguise." Don't tell me you say "disgoose." Disgweess? Diss goo iss? Exqueeze me?

The word "guise" refers to the external appearance or semblance of something or someone. (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guise)

Here is an audio example of someone pronouncing the word correctly. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXskIJAREhU)

So...when we see "Guise of the Deceiver" in-game, how do we read it aloud? That's right: "Poopsock fest."

Thank you. Please spread the word.

d3r14k
07-16-2019, 09:44 AM
Good PSA. Can we also get people to stop saying SoW like the pig and say it correctly like sew (sewing machine)?

Don't tell me you say "disgoose"

Should I feed dis goose?

https://i.imgur.com/Nb5gegw.png

Thugnuts
07-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Honk if you eat Gnomes.

Jibartik
07-16-2019, 10:51 AM
I pronounce it key-nose

Swish2
07-16-2019, 10:55 AM
PSA: "guise" is pronounced "guys"

https://i.imgur.com/MRUKgRL.gif

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 10:58 AM
With Green99 coming out soon, I believe this is an urgent announcement. "Guise" is not pronounced "goose" or "gweess" or "goo-iss" or anything of the sort. If you're not sure you believe this, just think of the related word "disguise." Don't tell me you say "disgoose." Disgweess? Diss goo iss? Exqueeze me?

The word "guise" refers to the external appearance or semblance of something or someone. (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guise)

Here is an audio example of someone pronouncing the word correctly. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXskIJAREhU)

So...when we see "Guise of the Deceiver" in-game, how do we read it aloud? That's right: "Poopsock fest."

Thank you. Please spread the word.

I refuse to believe that any native English speaker pronounces it any other way than 'guys.'

If you're one of these people please show yourself you savage.

Nuggie
07-16-2019, 11:36 AM
I used to mispronounce "ch" in chitin like you would say "cheese" instead of "kite-in" ... it sucks to suck.

d3r14k
07-16-2019, 11:45 AM
I used to mispronounce "ch" in chitin like you would say "cheese" instead of "kite-in" ... it sucks to suck.

God dammit I was hoping you'd be wrong about this but Dictionary.com seems to agree with you.

chitin [ kahy-tin ]

Haunt
07-16-2019, 11:58 AM
I used to pronounce melee as 'meal-y'.

The mother lode of mispronunciation is the Alpha Investments youtube channel. That guy gets at least 15% of the words wrong when he tries to read MTG cards out loud.

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Most of us were kids when we started playing EQ. Mispronouncing chitin or melee is pretty understandable, even if it carried into adulthood. Mispronouncing guise on the other hand baffles me...

A fun exercise is to get a bunch of EQ players together and have them pronounce things such as Tunare, Luclin, and Qeynos. I've seen sooo many different pronunciations there.

honeybee12874
07-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Good PSA. Can we also get people to stop saying SoW like the pig and say it correctly like sew (sewing machine)?

Now that I think about it, I think I've been saying it both ways interchangeably and not giving it much thought... :confused:

Llandris
07-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Loo-clin

Muggens
07-16-2019, 12:50 PM
As a Norwegian we used to pronounce stuff in a funny way !
Example; Iron Blood Sword --> ee-rron bluud swerd
Rogue --> rouge (like the mascara), melee as meal-y and so forth

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Loo-clin

I’ve heard

Luck-Lin
Loose-Lin
Luke-Lin

ReadOnly
07-16-2019, 01:02 PM
Actually it's more like "guyz" with a hard "z" sound instead of a soft "s"

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Actually it's more like "guyz" with a hard "z" sound instead of a soft "s"

Not sure if trolling but there is no difference between guyz and guys in my pronunciation.

kjs86z
07-16-2019, 01:33 PM
I have two RL buddies that say "sew" for Spirit of Wolf

Its sow, like the pigs we all are.

Haloren
07-16-2019, 01:54 PM
I had some employee of CompUSA back in the day when I was picking up EQ Titanium box set trying to tell me it doesn't get pronounced like 'So-w', instead it should be pronounced like Sau-w.

Its unnatural and it has to be stopped. No no no no no. Fight me. Oh wait, CompUSA stores are no longer a thing, coincidence?!?!?!

lifewater
07-16-2019, 03:04 PM
I had some employee of CompUSA back in the day when I was picking up EQ Titanium box set trying to tell me it doesn't get pronounced like 'So-w', instead it should be pronounced like Sau-w.

Its unnatural and it has to be stopped. No no no no no. Fight me. Oh wait, CompUSA stores are no longer a thing, coincidence?!?!?!

I still say So-w. Sauw sounds rediculous.

Evia
07-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Most of us were kids when we started playing EQ. Mispronouncing chitin or melee is pretty understandable, even if it carried into adulthood. Mispronouncing guise on the other hand baffles me...

A fun exercise is to get a bunch of EQ players together and have them pronounce things such as Tunare, Luclin, and Qeynos. I've seen sooo many different pronunciations there.

Two-Nair
Loose-lyn
Key-know-ss

And yeah guise is totally guys

Evia
07-16-2019, 03:18 PM

Sorry pal but your friends are right. Its absolutely 'sew' not sow like pigs.

Fammaden
07-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Its neither sow nor sew because it isn't a word its an acronym. If you choose to pronounce it like a three letter word there's really no "wrong" way to do it, but really the letters do make the existing word sow like the pig. To be actually correct you should be saying "ess-oh-dubbleyoo" but that takes a lot longer than pronouncing it like a three letter word at which point you might as well just say "spirrituvewulf".

Jibartik
07-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Are you guys saying you want to go to Sea World? Or that you want to see the world?

bonesaw
07-16-2019, 03:34 PM

This is the #1 reason that I don’t use discord. I’d hate to hear people pronouncing things like this 100% wrong. I’d also hate to hear everybody else pronouncing something one way that is completely different than I have for the last 20 years (crystal ch-itin vs crystal kite-in).

Fammaden
07-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Why does everyone say Tee-oh-Vee instead of pronouncing it like Tauhv!

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Its neither sow nor sew because it isn't a word its an acronym. If you choose to pronounce it like a three letter word there's really no "wrong" way to do it, but really the letters do make the existing word sow like the pig. To be actually correct you should be saying "ess-oh-dubbleyoo" but that takes a lot longer than pronouncing it like a three letter word at which point you might as well just say "spirrituvewulf".

I'll take exception with this. The most commonly used variant of the heteronym sow is the one meaning to plant seeds, which is pronounced like the word sew (to sew a button). If that wasn't enough, SoW is an acronym as you stated and the letter 'o' is pronounced 'oh' not 'ow' so therefore the most natural way of saying 'S-O-W' aloud and progressing it to a fully verbalized word is to pronounce it like 'sew.'

I won't be outlawyered on this.

honeybee12874
07-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Wait.... do pigs even run fast? :confused:

kjs86z
07-16-2019, 04:25 PM
Wait.... do pigs even run fast? :confused:

https://youtu.be/1J5Mwajm60A

edit: I'll never, ever, pronounce SoW as "sew." Its s-o-w, sow you piggies!

Xulia
07-16-2019, 04:29 PM
It's "sew" - quit choosing to be wrong.

tsuchang
07-16-2019, 04:40 PM
So, we have it as SoW like in broadcasting seed, or SoW as in maken baken?

Davardo
07-16-2019, 04:45 PM
So then if SoW is sew, is SoE also sew? You fucking degenerate. Or do you say sew-ee?

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 05:36 PM
So then if SoW is sew, is SoE also sew? You fucking degenerate. Or do you say sew-ee?

I’m sure this made sense in your head when typing it but.... wat?

Row and roe are both pronounced the same. Not sure what your point is.

Davardo
07-16-2019, 06:28 PM
I’m sure this made sense in your head when typing it but.... wat?

Row and roe are both pronounced the same. Not sure what your point is.

SoW or SoE, if using voice coms and you ask for a SEW, which one should they give you? Or do we take the time to say "I mean the one with the e."

Sure, Spirit of Eagle is a Luclin spell, but a majority here continued to play into and beyond Luclin.

Evia
07-16-2019, 06:51 PM

Sew-ee

Jibartik
07-16-2019, 06:51 PM
I still dont know if you're saying sew because you want S O W or if you're saying sew because you want S O E and it's taking a long time to explain it, Kevin.

Keza
07-16-2019, 07:17 PM
I'll take exception with this. The most commonly used variant of the heteronym sow is the one meaning to plant seeds, which is pronounced like the word sew (to sew a button). If that wasn't enough, SoW is an acronym as you stated and the letter 'o' is pronounced 'oh' not 'ow' so therefore the most natural way of saying 'S-O-W' aloud and progressing it to a fully verbalized word is to pronounce it like 'sew.'

I won't be outlawyered on this.

Common variant is kinda pointless when it comes to correct pronunciation since they don't originate from the same source. It's basically citing a word from a different language as a reason at that point. I would also guess the verb 'sow' is a less common variant, since everyone I've ever heard say it has pronounced it as the noun, though I can't imagine the verb or noun are very common in this day and age. Hell, SoW as in Spirit of Wolf might be more common.

He's correct, it's an acronym with no designed pronunciation so it technically doesn't have one. If we're trying to turn it into a word with old English logic then Spirit of Wolf would be a noun, wouldn't it? You don't say you're Spirit of Wolfing. You say you're casting SoW. Casting is the verb, SoW is just the name, therefor a noun.. I think? So in that case it would be pronounced as a noun, like sow/pig. Unless I'm completely wrong.

In either case I've used the noun version for 20 years and I cannot be stopped. It's simply impossibru.

Jimjam
07-16-2019, 07:24 PM
It makes you run SoW fast.

Troxx
07-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Yes. Yes it is Sow as in a female hog.

Psyborg
07-16-2019, 08:00 PM
SoW or SoE, if using voice coms and you ask for a SEW, which one should they give you? Or do we take the time to say "I mean the one with the e."

Sure, Spirit of Eagle is a Luclin spell, but a majority here continued to play into and beyond Luclin.

I would ask for eagle.

Borak
07-16-2019, 08:59 PM

It's always been sew for me.

Granted, I've always played a bard, since the beginning.

I imagine that all bards pronounce SoW as 'sew'. After all, people think they're 'sew' fast when they have SoW, but us bards know, they're not sew fast after all. If you choose SoW over Selo's, you reap what you sow.

Videri
07-17-2019, 03:53 AM
Should I feed dis goose?

https://i.imgur.com/Nb5gegw.png

Definitely. :)

TomisFeline
07-17-2019, 05:59 AM
It's always been sew for me.

Granted, I've always played a bard, since the beginning.

I imagine that all bards pronounce SoW as 'sew'. After all, people think they're 'sew' fast when they have SoW, but us bards know, they're not sew fast after all. If you choose SoW over Selo's, you reap what you sow.

best post here so far. you are tapping into that same vein of creativity and ascendance that the guy who does stream of thought posts does, except with less stream of thought and more puns. don't ever change.

whichever way you pronounce it, one can't deny pronouncing it like 'sew' sounds both ugly in phonetics and poor in pattern matching compared to 'sow'.

to make the decision easy, what other noun has the same letters as sow, and how is that word pronounced?

savages

TomisFeline
07-17-2019, 06:00 AM
someone should make a vote thread
I'm computer illiterate, otherwise I would

fadetree
07-17-2019, 08:16 AM
So...sew is sow and soe is so too? If that's so, then so is like sew and soe?

Maresydotes and doesydotes...but liddlelamsedivey?

TomisFeline
07-17-2019, 08:22 AM

sew is so,
sow is sow

Fammaden
07-17-2019, 08:31 AM
There is no SoE this is P99, false equivalence.

Psyborg
07-17-2019, 08:40 AM
to make the decision easy, what other noun has the same letters as sow, and how is that word pronounced?

savages

So by that logic:

to ask for a SoW is pronounced as the sau variant.
to SoW someone is pronounced as the so variant.

Frug
07-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Hard pass.

Frug
07-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Two-Nair
Loose-lyn
Key-know-ss

2 out of 3. Anything else?

Knowmercy
07-17-2019, 09:41 AM
another good one - cuirass

first encountered it in Morrowind

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Cuirass_of_the_Savior%27s_Hide

I pronounced it: see-yer-ass, i think its more like queer-ass. Think theres only one or two examples of it in classic-velious

Psyborg
07-17-2019, 09:51 AM
another good one - cuirass

first encountered it in Morrowind

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Cuirass_of_the_Savior%27s_Hide

I pronounced it: see-yer-ass, i think its more like queer-ass. Think theres only one or two examples of it in classic-velious

Definite queer-ass, though I also mispronounced it as cure-ass growing up.

Halfcell
07-17-2019, 10:42 AM
2 out of 3. Anything else?

You are one of those savages calling Loose-lin Luck-lin aren't you?

Its Kite-an
Guys
Toon-air
Key-nos
Vee-shawn
And I have to go with sew, not sow.

While we are here Torpor is pronounced closer to Torp-er than it looks, and Erudite is air-oo-dite not Ee-roooo-dite

Unrelated to EQ, milk does not have an e in it, stop pronouncing it melk, and both does not have an L in it, stop saying bolth.

Frug
07-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Toon-air

That's adorable.

Also Erudite is air-oo-dite not Ee-roooo-dite

Ah, no.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/erudite
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/erudite
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/erudite

Long "U" sound.

Halfcell
07-17-2019, 10:57 AM
That's adorable.

Ah, no.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/erudite
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/erudite
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/erudite

Long "U" sound.

Did you actually listen to the pronunciation? I am definitely right.

NachtMystium
07-17-2019, 11:30 AM

According to those links you’re both wrong for excluding one over the other. Both are correct.

Official correct pronunciation:
Toon-air
Sow like the pig
Luck-Lin
Kay-noss
Vee-shin
Yuh-keesha
Sol-you-seck
Shah-men

If you say sew you’re toxic

Frug
07-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Did you? Most use the "you" sound as the preferred. None of them sound like "oo" as in "boot".

Err-oo-dite. nope.

Immok
07-17-2019, 11:36 AM
According to those links you’re both wrong for excluding one over the other. Both are correct.

Official correct pronunciation:
Toon-air
Sow like the pig
Luck-Lin
Kay-noss
Vee-shin
Yuh-keesha
Sol-you-seck
Shah-men

Yi-Ke$ha
Shay-men

Halfcell
07-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Yuh-keesha
Sol-you-seck

So gross, Sol-you-sek?

Sol-uh-sek
And I dont know about Yeh-keh-sha, but that's how I have always pronounced it.

Videri
07-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Yeah, a lot of people think it's "uh-ROO-dite" or even worse, "YUR-uh-dite," but it rhymes with "terabyte" and has the same accent pattern. Or you can say the fancy British "air-you-dite," but that really really sounds like an adjective to me.

Videri
07-17-2019, 11:45 AM
Did you? Most use the "you" sound as the preferred. None of them sound like "oo" as in "boot".

Err-oo-dite. nope.

What about the first pronunciation on the Merriam-Webster link? Sounds like terabyte.

Jibartik
07-17-2019, 12:22 PM
I pronounce it Yer-ah-din

that wrong?

Dolalin
07-17-2019, 12:44 PM

that wrong?

There's always someone at the end of the thread to make the same lame joke everyone expected and got on page one.

Don't worry though guy, you're funny.

Jibartik
07-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Can someone who is not a raving lunatic tell me if I'm wrong about my pronunciation?

Mblake81
07-17-2019, 01:10 PM

It will always be sew to me. RIP

You are one of those savages calling Loose-lin Luck-lin aren't you?

Luke-Lynn

Jimjam
07-17-2019, 01:21 PM

It is soandso. Which is confirmed classic.

Jibartik
07-17-2019, 01:23 PM
karana-eats ivey too wouldn't you.

Fammaden
07-17-2019, 02:11 PM
While we are here Torpor is pronounced closer to Torp-er than it looks, and Erudite is air-oo-dite not Ee-roooo-dite

Stuff like this is just many gamers having shitty vocabularies. Happened in WoW with names all the time too. Many players seem to stumble with shit like noctivagant or diaphanous and think they are made up fantasy words, when they are just adjectives. RPG's use some obscure ones for sure, but just normal adjectives despite rarity.

Videri
07-17-2019, 02:36 PM
Can someone who is not a raving lunatic tell me if I'm wrong about my pronunciation?

There's nobody here but us lunatics!

that wrong?

Yeah, that is wrong. Lots of people say it that way. But why would "Er" be pronounced "Yer"? It's not like eureka. It's not spelled Euradin (shudder). It's like error, or era. Yeradin is a dyslexic way of interpreting Erudin. Either Air-oo-din (if you say Air-oo-dite) or Air-you-din (if you say Air-you-dite).

Immok
07-17-2019, 02:38 PM
...Happened in WoW with ...

"Wew" ...?

Jibartik
07-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Yeradin is a dyslexic way of interpreting Erudin. Either Air-oo-din (if you say Air-oo-dite) or Air-you-din (if you say Air-you-dite).

I am dyslexic!

Videri
07-17-2019, 02:39 PM
"Wew" ...?

HAHAHA If "SoW" is pronounced like "so," then I believe WoW is pronounced like "woe." *calls WoW "woe" for rest of his life*

Videri
07-17-2019, 02:49 PM
I am dyslexic!

That'll do it!

Jibartik
07-17-2019, 03:15 PM
What do you mean by atht'it od ll?

Psyborg
07-17-2019, 03:25 PM
HAHAHA If "SoW" is pronounced like "so," then I believe WoW is pronounced like "woe." *calls WoW "woe" for rest of his life*

If there was a commonly used word pronounced "woe" for the word wow then I would agree.

fadetree
07-17-2019, 04:02 PM
karana-eats ivey too wouldn't you.

+1

nilbog
07-17-2019, 05:01 PM
row row row your boat

Cen
07-17-2019, 05:57 PM
I used to say cazic thule phonetically like an American, but now I know its Ka Zick Tool Ay and not a th like thistle. My brain exploded when brad mcquaid said it

Videri
07-17-2019, 06:22 PM
row row row your boat

Rau rau rau? What does that mean? :p

Fammaden
07-17-2019, 06:46 PM
row row row your boat

row noun (3)
ˈrau̇

Definition of row (Entry 5 of 6)
: a noisy disturbance or quarrel

row verb (3)
ˈrau̇
rowed; rowing; rows

Definition of row (Entry 6 of 6)

intransitive verb
: to engage in a row : have a quarrel

tsuchang
07-17-2019, 07:30 PM
Cripes, now I'm going to have to ask peps asking for SoW how they pronounce it before casting it. OR on an alt, asking how the druid wants it pronounced before I ask for SoW. I sure don't want to be thinking so when the druid is reading sough or sow or sew or any of the plethora of others we can come up with here.
Life of an EQer can be so stressful.
What if someone is reading plaught when I'm offering plat?
(I just deleted a rant that ended with the word diarrhea. You should thank me for deleting it)

Jibartik
07-17-2019, 09:05 PM
sow sow sow me please
ill trade you sow for breeze
merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
tips for sow & breeze

tsuchang
07-18-2019, 12:29 AM
OH NO, now it's breeze.
Is it ba reeze, br eeze bre eze?

Cecily
07-18-2019, 12:37 AM
Gwee see of the dec iever

Wonkie
07-18-2019, 12:48 AM
Gwee see of the dec iever

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/french-english/d%C3%A9guisement

Jibartik
07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
OH NO, now it's breeze.
Is it ba reeze, br eeze bre eze?

Wait are telling me that breeze is pronounced braze or something?

I am not as smarter as I thought. :confused:

Mblake81
07-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Because the guy who got me into it pronounced it this way, which happens when people read words sometimes but never hear the correct pronunciation, and since he has passed away in 2014, this word will never change to me. Right or wrong it doesn't matter to me its always SO.

Cen
07-20-2019, 04:06 PM
A halfling cleric is the best race class combo for utility use of a guise. Bristlebane as a religion has second best faction across all good evil and iksar factions combined, and clerics cant invis. Halfling + de + hide/sneak with bristlebane is best , but the only downside is clerics can,be de too so not as unique. The best unique is probanly human karana ranger.

Clerics are also top tier manastone users so halfling cleric hands down best guise manastone character. Boom :p

Evia
07-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Because the guy who got me into it pronounced it this way, which happens when people read words sometimes but never hear the correct pronunciation, and since he has passed away in 2014, this word will never change to me. Right or wrong it doesn't matter to me its always SO.

Tell em

Nuggie
07-22-2019, 01:27 AM
A halfling cleric is the best race class combo for utility use of a guise. Bristlebane as a religion has second best faction across all good evil and iksar factions combined, and clerics cant invis. Halfling + de + hide/sneak with bristlebane is best , but the only downside is clerics can,be de too so not as unique. The best unique is probanly human karana ranger.

Clerics are also top tier manastone users so halfling cleric hands down best guise manastone character. Boom :p

Non tunare clerics miss out on easy quests in Velious. This is a mistake. Don't dark elf clerics get a click invis item quest in vanilla? Halfling cleric seems like a waste in comparison.

Still can't beat the dark elf paladin with FA that was mentioned earlier.

shuklak
07-22-2019, 03:08 AM
It's commonly pronounced as "geese" in educated circles.

Cen
07-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Non tunare clerics miss out on easy quests in Velious. This is a mistake. Don't dark elf clerics get a click invis item quest in vanilla? Halfling cleric seems like a waste in comparison.

Still can't beat the dark elf paladin with FA that was mentioned earlier.

Thats what ive been considering. What would you do as the base race diety? :p I might make me a dwarf

Nuggie
07-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Well, if you're deadset on playing a cleric for vanilla I would go dark elf for:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Regent_Symbol_of_Innoruuk
http://wiki.project1999.com/Terror_Forged_Mask

Maybe these are what I was thinking of with the invis comment... been a long time. Can always do invis with http://wiki.project1999.com/Ring_of_Shadows

Cen
07-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Well, if you're deadset on playing a cleric for vanilla I would go dark elf for:

Maybe these are what I was thinking of with the invis comment... been a long time. Can always do invis with http://wiki.project1999.com/Ring_of_Shadows

Terrorforged is human erudite only also for anyone doing that.

loramin
07-22-2019, 07:01 PM

If you're going for the items, Human (Innoruuk) is better, precisely because they can wear the mask you mentioned (Dark Elves can't) as well as two other items:

Innoruuk-worshipers can get the Regent Symbol of Innoruuk (http://wiki.project1999.com/Regent_Symbol_of_Innoruuk) and other Innoruuk-worshiping Cleric items (http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Special:MultiCategorySearch&limit=500&wpInCategory1=Innoruuk+Worshiper+Equipment&wpInCategory2=Cleric+Equipment). Also their faction lets them complete quests for Dread Forged Shield (http://wiki.project1999.com/Dread_Forged_Shield), Fright Forged Helm (http://wiki.project1999.com/Fright_Forged_Helm) (an instant-clickie that gives See Invis and Infravision), and Terror Forged Mask (http://wiki.project1999.com/Terror_Forged_Mask), which are difficult for other religions.

... but of course it's not just about the items: Dark Elves get the Hide racial, and Humans don't.