PDA

View Full Version : Monk weapons: Tstaff vs Adamantite/BRS combo

Silverback
07-30-2019, 10:37 AM
Hi,
I'm curious what is the better overall setup for monk weapon at 50+.

From what I've read it looks like TStaff is an unresistable stun, 120 DD, and randomly is instant/6second/ or 12 seconds in duration.

Adamantite Club and Baton of Royal Stature have a resistable stun, 60 DD, 6 second in duration.

1. Is my data correct with the stun durations?

2. Any monks reading that have tried both setups and care to comment about it?

I appreciate it

Alesclandre
07-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Epic'ed fist is better than any non-raid weapon (Sky fist/Primal/Priceless/ToV) because of lower delay and damage bonus applying more often, especially on high AC mobs. Best non-raid offhands are Septer of Mastery (Kael nodrop) and Stave of Shielding (Chardok droppable).

I used Peacebringer/T-Staff untill i got epic then switched to fist+SoS/SoM until i got raid weapons.

Ruhtar
07-30-2019, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure on the damage difference without epic, but with epic, you can get more dps out of weapon swapping t-staff with fist hits in between than just dual wielding, at least until you get some good raiding weaps. However, since it's 2h, the dps is inconsistent compared dual wield.

The nice thing about the t-staff is really the damage component. The stun is nice for soloing or if you're the tank in a group setting, but some mobs are stun immune. Even if a mob is stun immune, the damage proc still hits. The only time it doesn't hit is if a higher leveled monk procs before you, so your hit won't take hold. I get double procs with it pretty often as well.

Silverback
07-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Epic'ed fist is better than any non-raid weapon (Sky fist/Primal/Priceless/ToV) because of lower delay and damage bonus applying more often, especially on high AC mobs. Best non-raid offhands are Septer of Mastery (Kael nodrop) and Stave of Shielding (Chardok droppable).

I used Peacebringer/T-Staff untill i got epic then switched to fist+SoS/SoM until i got raid weapons.

Great insight, I'll refer to that as I get higher in level.

Still curious about T-staff vs the 2 stun sticks.

Silverback
07-30-2019, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure on the damage difference without epic, but with epic, you can get more dps out of weapon swapping t-staff with fist hits in between than just dual wielding, at least until you get some good raiding weaps. However, since it's 2h, the dps is inconsistent compared dual wield.

The nice thing about the t-staff is really the damage component. The stun is nice for soloing or if you're the tank in a group setting, but some mobs are stun immune. Even if a mob is stun immune, the damage proc still hits. The only time it doesn't hit is if a higher leveled monk procs before you, so your hit won't take hold. I get double procs with it pretty often as well.

Further good info-

As far as my play style - I'll be solo tanking almost totally - and don't see myself with epic as a non-guild soloer.

Barlu
07-30-2019, 01:22 PM
As a solo Monk I use epic and TStaff. Poster above is correct that Epic fist mainhand and SoS is going to be your best droppable option but when soloing I use the bind wound macro in combat which is much better/easier with 2hb. You also get riposted less and do more damage when you riposte. I don’t do any of the switching for extra fist attacks and it does the job fine at 57.

I think you might be overvaluing the stuns when soloing. If your gonna solo a lot Fungi is the most important followed by epic. If you can afford T Staff and you would be much much better off selling the T Staff buying the Demon Fang MQ/LR and using a Peacebringer/IFS than just T Staff. TStaff is a nice item but fungi and epic are far more important.

The proc is nice and definitelt helps deal more dmg and mitigate damage taken but the clicks hast from epic is life changing. It also helps you be able to push and interrupt casters which opens up a lot more content you can solo. The Hole comes to mind which is where I am soloing now.

Silverback
07-30-2019, 03:16 PM
As a solo Monk I use epic and TStaff. Poster above is correct that Epic fist mainhand and SoS is going to be your best droppable option but when soloing I use the bind wound macro in combat which is much better/easier with 2hb. You also get riposted less and do more damage when you riposte. I don’t do any of the switching for extra fist attacks and it does the job fine at 57.

I think you might be overvaluing the stuns when soloing. If your gonna solo a lot Fungi is the most important followed by epic. If you can afford T Staff and you would be much much better off selling the T Staff buying the Demon Fang MQ/LR and using a Peacebringer/IFS than just T Staff. TStaff is a nice item but fungi and epic are far more important.

The proc is nice and definitelt helps deal more dmg and mitigate damage taken but the clicks hast from epic is life changing. It also helps you be able to push and interrupt casters which opens up a lot more content you can solo. The Hole comes to mind which is where I am soloing now.

an extremely helpful post - I'll start looking into monk epic, MQ, etc. I do have a Fungi and Adamantite Club/Stave of Shielding for my twinked lev 22. Leveling is and will be fast.

I'm curious why the offhand of stave of shielding would be better than adamantite club with epic? Club's ratio is 0.600 plus it has stun/dd proc while stave ratio is .607 and has major shielding.

thanks

Legidias
07-30-2019, 03:38 PM
You just answered it yourself that it has a higher ratio.

btravis1990
07-30-2019, 04:22 PM
an extremely helpful post - I'll start looking into monk epic, MQ, etc. I do have a Fungi and Adamantite Club/Stave of Shielding for my twinked lev 22. Leveling is and will be fast.

I'm curious why the offhand of stave of shielding would be better than adamantite club with epic? Club's ratio is 0.600 plus it has stun/dd proc while stave ratio is .607 and has major shielding.

thanks

The Difference is so minute you barely will see unless you are tryng to go top tier guild raiding min/max.

I personally use BRS and A-club and throw in peacbringer in it. Dont have funds for fungi but almost done with epic.

I am about to ding 49 and I will let you know about the double stun proc, from what a friend showed me the stun locks with my combo can be nuts. Not 100% consistant but allows for easy mow down of mobs.

I also thought i saw that BRS/A-club combo out DPS a T-staff by 3% somewhere?

Legidias
07-30-2019, 04:58 PM
Keep in mind procs are 1/min and max dex basically just raises it to 2/min. Off hand is half that. GL

Silverback
07-30-2019, 06:01 PM
good to know

As far as MQ'ing monk epic, I read through it and it seems I could get 'Immortals' from Skyfire, turn it in to Danl in Erudin to get 'Danl's Reference' then MQ with someone with Robe of the Whistling Fists and my Danl Reference to get 'Celestial Fists (book)'

Once I have 'Celestial Fists (book)' I could get a Demon Fangs MQ and get epic.

Is that accurate?

fortior
07-30-2019, 06:08 PM
Kill brother zephyl with 4 friends for the robe, waiting for a robe of the whistling fists MQ will take ages (and cost you like 20k)

Silverback
07-30-2019, 06:15 PM
I'm OK with the cost - might take me 6 months overall. Fine with that. Wondering if what I said in my post above is possible. couldn't tell for sure from the wiki guide. I'd basically get 'Immortals', pay 60K ish, and get epic if that would work

Kennie
07-30-2019, 06:18 PM
blam stick primary, sceptre of mastery offhand

jolanar
07-30-2019, 06:29 PM
blam stick primary, sceptre of mastery offhand

whats the dps comparison for blam/som to epic/som?

Kennie
07-30-2019, 06:31 PM

blam wins big

fortior
07-30-2019, 06:56 PM

depends on mob AC

super high AC = just hitting often and getting 11 added damage * a lot of times wins

blue trash mobs = blam blam blam

I don't have a blam stick or epic on my monk but I simmed it with a hacked up excel sheet while on call for work so I'll defer to any monk with in game experience on raids

I'm OK with the cost - might take me 6 months overall. Fine with that. Wondering if what I said in my post above is possible. couldn't tell for sure from the wiki guide. I'd basically get 'Immortals', pay 60K ish, and get epic if that would work

Or join a raiding guild, get to lv50+, gank bro Z (hes almost always up and not a rare spawn), MQ 2 pipes for like 10k total, ask someone doing skyfire nameds for spells for an immortal book, and ask 4-5 bored raiders nicely to help you with the fights

If you have a group willing to help you can literally do the entire epic aside from the pipes in one or two days

Silverback
07-30-2019, 10:11 PM
Personally I’m stuck playing semi-afk all the time so guild won’t be happening for me. I am curious to find out if I have immortals then mq for robe then mq demon fangs if that will work.

Triode
07-30-2019, 10:20 PM
Even on blue trash (e.g. in KC), at 57/58 my experience has been that epic fist is better than blam more often than not. When blam lands for double 165's a few times in a row, it feels awesome, but that is the exception rather than the rule. Epic fist spam is much more constant dps.

Parses by guildies and others posted here (see, e.g. https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2908882&postcount=22 ), seem to bear this out. Still a nice item and a fun 0 weight toy for monks, but fist is where it's at until raid quality weapons.

Garnaak
07-30-2019, 10:56 PM
On Live I could never truly solo on my monk until I got a t-staff. I didn't get epic (only ROLC) until I came back many years later on free-to-play and got him up to 80 where I solo'd it. Ripostes killed me when dual wielding.

Lionsfan616
08-01-2019, 01:05 AM
Dont ignore worn haste when figuring in dps. With blam stick + som you will be highest dps in parses outside of 60 rogues. Your best bet is to download a parser and test it.

Silverback
08-01-2019, 06:05 PM

I did want to get into this a little bit - How does the click haste allow you to push and interrupt casters?

Thanks again

Legidias
08-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Hit things faster = more hits with a push in each hit = moves mob farther = interrupt

Triode
08-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Dont ignore worn haste when figuring in dps. With blam stick + som you will be highest dps in parses outside of 60 rogues. Your best bet is to download a parser and test it.

FYI - this is the opposite of the results our guild monks have seen and as reported by others: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2908882&postcount=22.

Do you have access to parses where blam comes out on top as compared to epic fist? If so, I'd love to see them and increase the sample size. Fun weapon either way.

Gumbo
08-01-2019, 06:51 PM
I saw this posted about 6 years ago... It's a Monk Weapon DPS chart but I'm not sure if it's out of date or not?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMcElKYTJtaGVsanM/edit

Silverback
08-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Hit things faster = more hits with a push in each hit = moves mob farther = interrupt

Gotcha, thanks