Clothing:
https://i.imgur.com/0aKPmcY.jpg

Clothing (never clothings):
https://i.imgur.com/7Up0XOz.jpg

Gear:
https://i.imgur.com/qPaCila.png

Gears:
https://i.imgur.com/TpeOfzV.jpg

Help me save the server from this grave grammatical gaffe. You never "get some gears" unless you're shopping from Bom Knotwood in Steamfont Mountains. When talking about a single item, it is correct to say "a piece of gear" or simply "an item." Not a gear. Talking about two items? "Two pieces of gear." An unspecified number of items? "Gear." "I hope you get some gear." "You've got great gear, man."
Example of a person asking about this, and the answer (https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/gear-vs-gears.1024875/).

So unless you're working on your Tinkering, I don't want to hear the word "gears" come out of your pixelated mouth!!!1!

Jayzeus
07-31-2019, 04:24 AM
Weird flex but ok

Halfcell
07-31-2019, 05:05 AM
I think when people say "get some gears" they are using it as slang. They don't actually think the plural of gear is gears. I suspect this problem is more likely a failure on your part to understand the affectations of common speech than it is theirs in understanding proper english.

Domni
07-31-2019, 05:22 AM
I think when people say "get some gears" they are using it as slang. They don't actually think the plural of gear is gears. I suspect this problem is more likely a failure on your part to understand the affectations of common speech than it is theirs in understanding proper english.

this

aaezil
07-31-2019, 06:26 AM
I found some pretty great gears yesterday

Bondrake
07-31-2019, 07:57 AM
Not everyone's first language on the server is English.

entruil
07-31-2019, 08:45 AM
What about loots....

I always loots my gears.

honeybee12874
07-31-2019, 09:34 AM
What about loots....

I always loots my gears.

No, no, it's "phat lewtz." Learn your terminology!

fadetree
07-31-2019, 10:40 AM
It's nothing to grind your gears over.

But yes, it's probably mostly a slang usage...I hope. The problem is that not everybody realizes it, especially non-english-first-language types, and so it can cross over from slang usage to being confusing. English is pretty crazy anyways, and that increases the need to be accurate when speaking or writing.
Bad English is spreading, I see terrible stuff often on supposedly journalistic outlets, like 'loose' instead of 'lose' and things that aren't even sentences. Problems with the weak verb construct are very noticeable - people say things like 'I have went' instead of 'I have gone', for instance.
Oh well, the other argument is that language changes anyway and so don't worry about it, but even a flexible language like English needs some kind of coherent core structure or otherwise you're just making crap up and it becomes impossible for people to learn. Core grammatical rules are there for a reason.

jolanar
07-31-2019, 01:00 PM
gearii

Videri
07-31-2019, 01:32 PM
To clarify, my pretend anger is merely for humor's sake; and it is not directed at people whose first language is not English. I'll always respect the hard work of learning a new language. I'm studying Spanish myself. It's not easy.

How is the usage of "gears" to refer to "gear" slang? It's not like pronouncing "garbage" with a soft g as in the classic dad joke. "Garbazh."

Anyway, people who are learning English and people who just don't know any better will be led astray by misuse of the word "gears" to refer to "gear," which is already a kind of plural noun just like "armor" and "water" and "equipment."

What about loots....

I always loots my gears.

Oh man, "loots" is also misused...painfully. hehe :rolleyes: If you got one item, you got loot. If you got two items, you got loot. Only bards should be talking about lutes!

Videri
07-31-2019, 01:35 PM
gearii

Listen here, you!

Benanov
07-31-2019, 02:14 PM
How is the usage of "gears" to refer to "gear" slang? It's not like pronouncing "garbage" with a soft g as in the classic dad joke. "Garbazh."

Anyway, people who are learning English and people who just don't know any better will be led astray by misuse of the word "gears" to refer to "gear," which is already a kind of plural noun just like "armor" and "water" and "equipment."

Oh man, "loots" is also misused...painfully. hehe :rolleyes: If you got one item, you got loot. If you got two items, you got loot. Only bards should be talking about lutes!

English never met a word it didn't like. It's highly mutable, and sometimes those words escape and go elsewhere.

I to this day will call Incoming when a restaurant server is bringing food to my table.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

Evia
07-31-2019, 03:47 PM

Qft

indiscriminate_hater
07-31-2019, 03:58 PM
what's it like being poor in EQ?

Videri
07-31-2019, 04:06 PM
English never met a word it didn't like. It's highly mutable, and sometimes those words escape and go elsewhere.

I to this day will call Incoming when a restaurant server is bringing food to my table.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

Sure, English is mutable, but its flexibility serves a purpose. Taking the U out of colour improves it by simplifying it. Using "they" to refer to a single person of unspecified gender adds flexibility. Saying inc instead of incoming is more efficient. But adding an S to a word which is already plural is not an improvement or alternate usage or colloquialism...it's pointless. I'm still curious to hear why "gears" qualifies as slang. Are you guys saying it's like a nickname for gear? Like calling Mike "Mikey"?

fadetree
07-31-2019, 04:55 PM
It's a form of infantilism, in which imitating the way that a young or mentally challenged person might construct grammar is used for usually humorous effect. So it's a slang usage rather than an actual slang word. It works a lot better when all participants know that it's actually incorrect, from which you deduce that the person is being humorous. If the person does NOT know that, then it's just kind of sad.

It's like, that, man. GET ME SOME GEARS.

Fammaden
07-31-2019, 05:03 PM
shuddup n gimmie mah lewtz!!!1

Videri
07-31-2019, 05:54 PM
It's a form of infantilism, in which imitating the way that a young or mentally challenged person might construct grammar is used for usually humorous effect. So it's a slang usage rather than an actual slang word. It works a lot better when all participants know that it's actually incorrect, from which you deduce that the person is being humorous. If the person does NOT know that, then it's just kind of sad.

It's like, that, man. GET ME SOME GEARS.

Well explained. I can accept this reasoning. I myself like to say things incorrectly on purpose, often including a little clue that I'm being sarcastic or hyperbolic.

Swish2
08-01-2019, 02:35 AM
But is it luck linen or loose linen?

unleashedd
08-01-2019, 08:56 AM
I don't want to hear the word "gears" come out of your pixelated mouth!!!1!

wait.... you can HEAR me?!

Videri
08-01-2019, 02:34 PM
wait.... you can HEAR me?!

https://i.imgur.com/hw18eZL.gif