PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding alt char

wholewitt
07-31-2019, 01:33 PM
So I've only ever played Necro to max level on live back in roughly 2001. Just started P99 again and have done enchanter and like it but I'm looking for some advice on what class to play from here. Having done necro and enchanter I know 100% that I don't want to play a pet class. I've obviously read up and played in groups with all classes but would appreciate some perspectives of other classes and why people enjoy them.

These opinions will apply to Green which might effect the outcome due to melee being weaker.

rotenvok
07-31-2019, 01:50 PM
you have played casters throwing spells away of the danger, so now go melee like a warrior or a monk to fight in vanguard, warrior needs gear to have an easier begining, you can support him with the plat of your high lvl casters

Benanov
07-31-2019, 02:10 PM
I've really only played Shadowknight and Rogue to decently high levels, but i've played almost everything to about 10-15.

I made a Shadowknight again here on P99. Tanks seem to be pretty rare, comparatively.

Cabilis is crawling with monks. Necros and Shamen are fairly common; Shadowknights are uncommon; Warriors are rare.

People tend to play more self-sufficient classes, and almost everyone has a pocket druid.

Cen
07-31-2019, 02:11 PM
So you might try a melee, but may be turned off by lack of gear?

Theres a naked punching class for that!

Nuggie
07-31-2019, 02:13 PM
Bard. You will appreciate the challenge.

Benanov
07-31-2019, 02:18 PM
I'll second Bard. There are certain classes in this game where playing that class makes the game feel entirely different.

Bard is one of those.

Orionsaight
07-31-2019, 02:25 PM
I would do monk or sk. I think that's the best way to learn how to be MT or puller in group. I leveled a high level paladin and don't know how I did it; maybe I just got lucky. I don't know how hard pulling can get, but it scares me.

wholewitt
07-31-2019, 04:02 PM
So my only fear with bard would be it seems like it would be extremely busy twisting 3 songs constantly. Obviously swarm kiting would be very fun risk reward and I wouldn't need to wait for a party. So that is appealing as well.

Tank or monk also sound fun, hell even cleric and ranger seem appealing to me because i feel like they would all force me into parties more often than the Necro / Chanter has.

kjs86z
07-31-2019, 04:11 PM
I actually really enjoyed leveling a cleric.

Evia
07-31-2019, 07:25 PM
Consider Rogue! The ability to explore dungeons unscathed 99% of the time, as well as being highly sought after for groups, is pretty fun. It'd force you to play differently because you'd be required to group (and melee!) and really couldn't solo. It's incredibly straight forward in regards to playstyle, but that can be a negative to some. I played an enchanter on live and while I loved having to do 100 different things a minute, the simplicity of the Rogue was a healthy and welcoming change for me.

10/10 would Rogue again

Troxx
07-31-2019, 09:38 PM
I’ve always wanted to play a cleric but have never gotten around to making one. I legitimately enjoy healing in groups. I’m afraid CH chain for raids might give me aids though. That’s the one thing that has kept me from making one. Sooner or later I’d feel compelled to participate in the 111 222 333 ...

Nuggie
07-31-2019, 10:58 PM
Yea, ch chains aren't a ton of fun. Also easy to point fingers at when they screw up and duck when they shouldnt have.

wholewitt
08-01-2019, 08:33 AM
So I think I've definitely decided no pure caster. Leaning Warrior, Monk, SK, or Bard. Maybe slightly leaning bard more than the rest.

My thoughts.

Rogue: Seems a little too simple
Warrior: seems more sought after and better end game than SK and needs much less XP. Maybe a little too simple
Monk: sounds like FD and pulling take skill and can make you stand apart from the rest. While I hate to sound like a min maxer it sounds like a non iksar monk wouldn't be worth it? Would it be better to wait for Kunark?
Bard: Extremely busy but very rewarding, useful in many different ways/situations. Ranger: never gets mentioned, I've read many threads on here that basically say master of none but good at a lot. But I did see someone mention that once you get 55 it's an extremely fun class to play.

Nuggie
08-01-2019, 10:51 AM
If you are a bard everyone will fight to have you in the group on raids. Can't get enough bards.

Halfcell
08-01-2019, 11:03 AM
My thoughts.

Rogue: Seems a little too simple
Warrior: seems more sought after and better end game than SK and needs much less XP. Maybe a little too simple
Monk: sounds like FD and pulling take skill and can make you stand apart from the rest. While I hate to sound like a min maxer it sounds like a non iksar monk wouldn't be worth it? Would it be better to wait for Kunark?
Bard: Extremely busy but very rewarding, useful in many different ways/situations. Ranger: never gets mentioned, I've read many threads on here that basically say master of none but good at a lot. But I did see someone mention that once you get 55 it's an extremely fun class to play.

My critiques:

Rogue: yes simple, but fun, worth a look.

Warrior: simple to do wrongly, moderately difficult to do well. However warriors are crazy expensive. I am 100k into mine and still feel weird playing him cus he is not done.

Monk: Human monks are fine, dont feel like you have to roll an Iksar. Expensive to gear out, but unlike warriors they perform well with mediocre gear as well.

Bard: I am not well versed, because I have never leveled one beyond 20, but every high end bard I have ever known loves them.

Ranger: only class in the game less important than a druid. Would not recommend. There is a reason they are famous for eating Death Touches.

I noticed you didn't mention any priests, but you may want to take a look at cleric or shaman. Both are expensive at high levels, but can perform very well with little investment at lower levels.

Benanov
08-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Having played a rogue on live... Rogue has some mechanics you can't find on other characters at all.

Backstab, Pickpocket (most rogues end up Master Looter), Pick Locks, Disarm Traps (although, until imo LDoN, this was pointless; same with Alcohol Tolerance), Hidesneak, Evade, Secret Handshake...

(Aside: One of my favorite moments on Live was someone springing a booze trap. I was the only person to level AT and it paid off - I could actually communicate with other players for the next 15 minutes.)

wholewitt
08-01-2019, 11:49 AM
I noticed you didn't mention any priests, but you may want to take a look at cleric or shaman. Both are expensive at high levels, but can perform very well with little investment at lower levels.

Since my main will be chanter I'm wanting this char to not be pure caster.