PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 04:39 AM
I'm wondering if its against the p99 rules for me to offer 25k plat to anyone that can get GINA or GTT or any audio trigger program working with Wineskin on MAC OSX.

Can anyone provide any insight before I post something officially requesting this?

Swish2
08-01-2019, 04:57 AM
So you're going to trade someone 25k in game for no reason that they can decipher?

Risky play, I'd say. If it was allowed, would every RMT seller use it?

There has to be a nerd or two on here that can help you without any plat gains going on :p

ScottBerta
08-01-2019, 05:14 AM
Ya, I agree with Swish that’s a slippery slope.

CodyF86
08-01-2019, 05:17 AM
Save that plat and teach yourself a language like Python and you can write one yourself.

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 05:25 AM
So you're going to trade someone 25k in game for no reason that they can decipher?

I hand people (and get handed) similar amounts of plat all the time for what might appear to be nothing, from when we trio farm myconid spore king.

Each Fungi drop we always split and take turns buying out the Tunic, and whoever is covering the split for that Tunic gives the other 2 partners 17.6k for their share.

Should I be logging these transactions with tells explaining what its for each time or something? I'm sure if GMs were ever suspicious they could just go back and check the logs to see the split agreement from group chat on the chars that actually killed the king and looted the tunic... right?

Swish2
08-01-2019, 05:40 AM
I hand people (and get handed) similar amounts of plat all the time for what might appear to be nothing, from when we trio farm myconid spore king.

Each Fungi drop we always split and take turns buying out the Tunic, and whoever is covering the split for that Tunic gives the other 2 partners 17.6k for their share.

Should I be logging these transactions with tells explaining what its for each time or something? I'm sure if GMs were ever suspicious they could just go back and check the logs to see the split agreement from group chat on the chars that actually killed the king and looted the tunic... right?

I wouldn't think you'd need to log that, but at least you have a record of who you were grouped with, what dropped and when and there's some kind of breadcrumb trail to where it came from.

25k out of nowhere to someone you don't know? Well...just be careful ^^

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't think you'd need to log that, but at least you have a record of who you were grouped with, what dropped and when and there's some kind of breadcrumb trail to where it came from.

25k out of nowhere to someone you don't know? Well...just be careful ^^

Yeah that's why I wanted to check here before I go any further with it. I was really hoping a GM would chime in and let me know its ok, even if its a 1 time exception for the benefit of all Mac users on p99.

I'm not the first nor the last person with this issue, there's already a thread requesting if anyone can get GINA working on the technical section of the forums, but no one has had any luck getting it to work - I'm guessing because there is little to no incentive to do so, which is where this idea came from to begin with.

elwing
08-01-2019, 06:28 AM
And do they pay you 70$ to have some gina issues?

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 06:33 AM
And do they pay you 70$ to have some gina issues?

Wtf are you even talking about? No one ever mentioned paying any RL money for anything. I wouldn't even be the person getting paid in this scenario, I was hoping to offer someone else plat if they can figure out how to get Gina to run on a Mac OS. Read much?

I'm guessing reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Jimjam
08-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Wtf are you even talking about? No one ever mentioned paying any RL money for anything. I wouldn't even be the person getting paid in this scenario, I was hoping to offer someone else plat if they can figure out how to get Gina to run on a Mac OS. Read much?

I'm guessing reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

He's saying one might use the smokescreen of 'GINA issues' to excuse selling 25kpp for $70.

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 07:03 AM
He's saying one might use the smokescreen of 'GINA issues' to excuse selling 25kpp for $70.

A fair point I suppose, but this is an issue that only needs to be solved one time for the entire p99 community.
As soon as someone is able to get it working, we can post it in the thread for the p99 MAC installation guide here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56238&highlight=install

Or in this thread about all the downloads and addons that go with p99: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130053

Or in this thread specifically asking for the exact same thing: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292498&highlight=gina

Or even just a new official GINA installation guide thread.

Chapelle
08-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Not a p99 lawyer, but from looking at the server policy:

7. Real Money Trades (RMT) are not allowed on Project 1999.

The involvement of any currency, items, or services external to any Project 1999 Server (Including but not limited to: real money (USD, Euro, Etc), regulated or otherwise (Bitcoins), Food/Delivery, Virtual currency of any other game (Platinum on Live or other EQEmulator Servers, Beta Keys for the latest new game, etc)) for any of that Project 1999 server's virtual items or service (Including by not limited to: Items, Platinum, Powerlevelling, Accounts/Characters) is strictly forbidden.

You're trading an external service for platinum. Roll the dice if you want, but it seems pretty cut and dry.

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Not a p99 lawyer, but from looking at the server policy:

7. Real Money Trades (RMT) are not allowed on Project 1999.

The involvement of any currency, items, or services external to any Project 1999 Server (Including but not limited to: real money (USD, Euro, Etc), regulated or otherwise (Bitcoins), Food/Delivery, Virtual currency of any other game (Platinum on Live or other EQEmulator Servers, Beta Keys for the latest new game, etc)) for any of that Project 1999 server's virtual items or service (Including by not limited to: Items, Platinum, Powerlevelling, Accounts/Characters) is strictly forbidden.

You're trading an external service for platinum. Roll the dice if you want, but it seems pretty cut and dry.

Well then the only question would be if we could get a GM ruling to deem this as a service internal (as opposed to a service external) to Project 1999 Server, since it would be in an effort only to benefit the community by incentivizing someone with advanced computer knowledge that can figure out how to get GINA or GTT working for MAC users with wineskin (like its already been done for the Mac install of EQ itself).

jolanar
08-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Definitely not legal. Good way to get your account banned and also the person who you gave the plat to banned for RMT.

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Definitely not legal. Good way to get your account banned and also the person who you gave the plat to banned for RMT.

I wouldn't do anything without getting consent from a GM that deemed it as a service internal to the p99 community with the results posted as a guide for all current and future Mac users, so no one's getting banned for anything.

loramin
08-01-2019, 10:32 AM
I will say that I've "gotten away with RMT" a couple times now when I've offered plat to people for wiki work. But, when I do those, there's two key factors that I think prevent it from being RMT:

1) communal (P99) good: it benefits the wiki/everyone (this case might qualify for this part)
2) I give out small amounts of plat 1-2k, to help lowbies get started (I don't think 25k qualifies for this)

Why not just offer money? If you care this much, maybe you can spare $25 instead, and that might be enough to entice someone. Or alternatively, as my esteemed guild mate suggested:

Save that plat and teach yourself a language like Python and you can write one yourself.

(... except I'd use Javascript personally :).)

Or in fact, if you just learn how to use command line scripts, you can even make a "ghetto gina" super easily for some things by using the "grep" command. Don't want to watch your EC tunnel character to see when some item you want is offered? Just "grep" your tunnel mule's log file for the item and it will show up whenever someone auctions it. If you "pipe" that command in to a beep command, you can even get an audio alert.

loramin
08-01-2019, 10:36 AM
P.S. I've actually played around a little with making a Linux version (which would work on Mac also) of Gina using Node/Javascript. I found the libraries I'd need and it's definitely possible ... but I'm swamped at work right now teaching other people how to program and don't have the bandwidth for a new project right now.

Legidias
08-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Only scrubs need to rely on third party UI's and triggers anyways

fastboy21
08-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Only scrubs need to rely on third party UI's and triggers anyways

still easier to play with them...only scrubs need them, but only an idiot would intentionally make their life harder for no reason.

Sunderfury
08-01-2019, 08:00 PM
The answer is you can't pay plat for that.

Ashintar
08-01-2019, 08:03 PM
Trading services or goods outside of the game for services or goods inside of the game or vice versa should absolutely be against the P99 TOS and falls under the RMT umbrella. How is trading an item / service / or currency inside the game for a service outside, such as help with your math homework, any different than platinum or item inside the game for IRL cash or a PayPal transaction outside?

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 09:02 PM
The answer is you can't pay plat for that.

Understood. Thank you for your reply, that's all I needed to know.

Videri
08-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Understood. Thank you for your reply, that's all I needed to know.

Good luck getting GINA working on a Mac. Let's keep each other posted if we learn how.

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Someone was able to help me, but not using Wineskin.

There is a limited use windows 10 ISO that Microsoft provides a download for. It is limited use functionality though, so it can't do certain things like customization settings. It can however run EQ and many other programs just fine, including GINA.

So this seems to be a good workaround for being able to run EQ with GINA together on a MAC, through this basic version of windows that Microsoft provides.

Now the question is, how can I compensate this person for his time and effort that can be approved by the GM's?

The person that helped me figure this out would like to buy a discounted Fungi Tunic since I farm them regularly, would that be acceptable?

If that is not acceptable, could I perhaps powerlevel his Enchanter instead? As a favor to favor kind of deal.

elwing
08-01-2019, 10:30 PM
On the other hand, gina has nothing to do with p99 currency so you can definitely pay $ for that...

Stryker85
08-01-2019, 10:38 PM
On the other hand, gina has nothing to do with p99 currency so you can definitely pay $ for that...

Now that you mention it, this does seem Fiver kind of thing.