PDA

View Full Version : Tallest peak and lowest valley?

pogs4ever
08-06-2019, 03:01 PM
I don’t remember Z height in the loc in classic 99.

But, since we have it. Does anyone know where the tallest and lowest points on norrath are?

Legidias
08-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Objectively, plane of sky & the hole

Jibartik
08-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Oh my god what a quest.

What a quest indeed!

https://i.imgur.com/7xDi7Nz.gif

Worry
08-06-2019, 03:46 PM
I'm on it.

Jibartik
08-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Whoever gets the final numbers correct deserves a GM reward.

Please post all your findings here people! This quest is the greatest quest I have ever heard! It could take months!

https://i.imgur.com/TojNJMY.gif

Xulia
08-06-2019, 03:50 PM
I don’t remember Z height in the loc in classic 99.

But, since we have it. Does anyone know where the tallest and lowest points on norrath are?

If you exclude the Planes since they could be considered separate dimensions, the highest point on Norrath is The Dreadlands' Combine Spires with the lowest point being the Crypts in The Hole.

However, if you consider that "The Hole" is also sections of the Plane of Earth it gets cloudy. So let's exclude The Hole - I would say the next lowest point would be either Kedge Keep since its entrance is already below sea level or Sleeper's Tomb for the same reasons. It would make sense for the CoV and Yelinak to want to keep as much physical earth between Kerafyrm and the rest of creation as possible. Not that it mattered...

feniin
08-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Is the top of Skyshrine higher than the big Combine spire?

Xulia
08-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Is the top of Skyshrine higher than the big Combine spire?

Possibly - the only reason I would think the Spires may be taller is due to Skyshrine's proximity to sea level whereas the Dreadlands are already elevated well above if you consider the climb from the ocean in Overthere, through Frontier Mountains, and then across the massive western glacier.

E-Queue
08-06-2019, 04:10 PM
So, is the z-axis independent in each zone? Like, if it's +100 at one zoneline, is it +100 on the other side? Or does each zone have its own z coordinate system?

pogs4ever
08-06-2019, 06:05 PM
I’d think we’d have to calibrate each zones Z access to each other. Would have to start with prominence (or whatever the opposite of prominence is for valleys) and then figure out relative relation of each zone to each other ? That volcano in skyfire has some good prominence but I’m not sure it beats some of the frontier mountains. Which a lot of frontier peak mountains have cool stuff at the top worth a gander :)

Jibartik
08-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Here is what I think we should do.

Lets create a pot.

If you contribute screenshots of a high or low Zaxis, you must be willing to contribute 1k to the winner.

If you win, PM each person and setup a date to accept your 1k

if you do not get that 1k from a poster then you are legally abliged to NAME AND SHAME them ITT until they give you the 1k they owe.

This is the quest!

We will vote, when we think we have completed the search and wish to award the winner.

This is my epic player run quest, that nobody will partake in but I hope they do! :)

Videri
08-06-2019, 09:12 PM
I think zones' Z-axes should be considered independently. -100 in The Hole is the same as -100 in Lake of Ill Omen. Then there would be no disagreement about whether The Hole or Sleeper's Tomb is lower; or whether TOFS is higher than the Combine spires in DL. It's just finding the highest and lowest raw Z values in any zone. Thoughts?

Fuzy
08-06-2019, 09:33 PM
I don’t know why but reading this thread and responses is one of the most satisfying things I’ve done in a while.

fiveeauxfour
08-06-2019, 09:48 PM
jibartik what kinda brownie dust you snortin bro

Jibartik
08-06-2019, 10:40 PM
I think zones' Z-axes should be considered independently. -100 in The Hole is the same as -100 in Lake of Ill Omen. Then there would be no disagreement about whether The Hole or Sleeper's Tomb is lower; or whether TOFS is higher than the Combine spires in DL. It's just finding the highest and lowest raw Z values in any zone. Thoughts?

100% agree :cool:

YE STATED ARE THINE RULES OF THE QUEST IN DON QUOTED TEXT

Jlpstrtkng
08-07-2019, 01:13 AM
jibartik what kinda brownie dust you snortin bro

^

Zuranthium
08-07-2019, 02:47 AM

From a standpoint of looking at every zone as a singular box, there's merit to doing those measurements. But thinking about the overall landscape and elevations throughout Norrath is more fun!

To me the highest point of Everfrost Peaks should logically be the highest point in Norrath. That's the Himalayas of the planet. :cool:

And for lowest point, somewhere in The Buried Sea (not released during Classic, but seen on the world map). The ocean is a deep place. Too bad we didn't get better underwater game areas. "Atlantis" should been located over there somewhere.

Pootle
08-07-2019, 03:53 AM
I would say the next lowest point would be either Kedge Keep since its entrance is already below sea level

But kedge isn't at sea level is it? I mean its entrance in in a lake, which does not necessarily mean sea level.

However saying that, you do have to run down a long way to get into Dagnars from Butcherblock, and BB is at sea level.....

EDIT:
The more i think about it, the more I come to agree with you Xulia.

plzrelax
08-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Too bad we didn't get better underwater game areas. "Atlantis" should been located over there somewhere.

That’s where the combine should have really ended up. Under the ocean, instead of on the moon

Nisrak
08-07-2019, 08:01 AM
There's a simple way to figure this out. Go to freeport docks as measure the z-axis, which is your "sea level" measurement. Then traverse each zone and measure the z-axis on either side of every zoneline, giving a relative elevation of each zone. Then it's just a matter of finding the highest point based on the zone elevation and elevation of a particular location in the zone.

Titanas
08-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Having experience as a world designer 0,0,0, is just where the artist puts the pen to the paper. That is why each zone doesn't really have much structure with the locations. I haven't done a /loc in the hole but I wouldn't be suprised if z=0 was down in the town area of the hole. and the entrance is z=2000 or something.

Jibartik
08-07-2019, 09:04 AM
ohh the hole may be the highest point in everquest how spooky is that?? what does it mean?

and for the haters https://wiki.project1999.com/Fairy_Dust :cool: :o

ineubis
08-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Yes, reading some of the recent posts is the way to figure this out. If zones have an altitude so to speak, they should vary greatly or at least not all be the same. Presumably a mountain zone would all be + several thousand Z coords at high altitude.

Nisrak
08-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Yes, reading some of the recent posts is the way to figure this out. If zones have an altitude so to speak, they should vary greatly or at least not all be the same. Presumably a mountain zone would all be + several thousand Z coords at high altitude.

Yeah, the only issue could be that it may not be consistent for different paths. Running from A -> B -> C may result in a different altitude than A -> D -> C. This could even be the case for two different zone lines between two zones. I doubt the developers worried about making altitudes consistent when designing zones and zone lines

Naethyn
08-07-2019, 09:35 AM
I want screenshots with min or max Z, everything else is just made up. Be even better if you keep the location a secret.

Legidias
08-07-2019, 09:44 AM
How about which zone has the most Z variance within the same zone?

Modwolf
08-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Where are the screenshots?!

fadetree
08-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Enough chatter. Bring us screen shots. Glory awaits!

Cen
08-07-2019, 11:10 AM
From a non statistic standpoint, what is the highest point of land in norrath and lowest anyway? Hole/Kedge and Everfrost or something?

Stolistic
08-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Dreadland Spires reach to about +2373
ToFS highest point in Iceclad is +1329
The lowest point in The Hole is approximately -909
Kedge's lowest Z is approx -349, but has a max Z of +363 (still less than the Hole as zone height is concerned)

Jibartik
08-07-2019, 02:53 PM
if you find the zone with the highest Z you win the pot.

Bbeta
08-07-2019, 04:10 PM
I love pot

Jibartik
08-07-2019, 04:26 PM
are you smoking the pot!

Crookstinger
08-07-2019, 04:44 PM
There's a simple way to figure this out. Go to freeport docks as measure the z-axis, which is your "sea level" measurement. Then traverse each zone and measure the z-axis on either side of every zoneline, giving a relative elevation of each zone. Then it's just a matter of finding the highest point based on the zone elevation and elevation of a particular location in the zone.

This seems like the most logical approach. I may hop on tonight and take some readings in the Freeport area and see how things match up. At one point I tinkered with the idea of making topographic maps of the EQ zones, and the handful of test zones I ran were successful, but it was more work than I was willing to undertake.

One thing to note is that the Z reading in the /loc is from the top of the character's head, not at ground level. Gnomes standing at the same elevation as barbarians will show lower Z readings. To get the true elevation of the ground, use the enchanter minor illusion or illusion: tree spells. Druid tree illusions might work too.

fadetree
08-07-2019, 05:31 PM
From a non statistic standpoint, what is the highest point of land in norrath and lowest anyway? Hole/Kedge and Everfrost or something?

Non statistic? There's no other way to describe it...do you mean without numbers? I don't think anyone is sure, that's the point.

Jibartik
08-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Non statistic? There's no other way to describe it...do you mean without numbers? I don't think anyone is sure, that's the point.

very, very high. :o

Legidias
08-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Whats the height of the hole at time 0 when you drop in from paineel?

Jibartik
08-07-2019, 06:07 PM
Whats the height of the hole at time 0 when you drop in from paineel?

very, very, very, low.

Zuranthium
08-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Dreadland Spires reach to about +2373
ToFS highest point in Iceclad is +1329
The lowest point in The Hole is approximately -909
Kedge's lowest Z is approx -349, but has a max Z of +363 (still less than the Hole as zone height is concerned)

Nice info. What about max height for the The Hole to see a differenetial?

Someone should mark how low Kedge starts from underneath the Lake in Dagnor's Cauldron too, because that may put it relatively deeper than The Hole as compared to "land".

Wonkie
08-07-2019, 06:40 PM
yelinaks room z -162.75

:)

Jibartik
08-07-2019, 06:49 PM
yelinaks room z -162.75

:)

We got our first 1k thrown into the pot bois! :cool:

Stolistic
08-08-2019, 09:54 AM
Nice info. What about max height for the The Hole to see a differenetial?

Someone should mark how low Kedge starts from underneath the Lake in Dagnor's Cauldron too, because that may put it relatively deeper than The Hole as compared to "land".

The Hole pretty much starts at 0Z with a few unreachable areas maybe +75 Z.
Entrance to Kedge within Dagnor's is around -333 Z. with the water level being 0 Z.

bilirubin
08-08-2019, 10:37 AM

I think he means within the logic of the universe of Norrath. Like is there a bit of lore that would explain a certain location (like Sleeper's Tomb) as being the lowest geographic point on Norrath.

booter
08-08-2019, 11:24 AM
The winners will be people who find out that some random zone has an odd starting z-axis for no good reason, because EverQuest.

Jibartik
08-08-2019, 12:31 PM
hey if those are the physics of this universe, those are the physics of this universe :o

zanderklocke
08-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Can you use EQ Zone Viewer to do /location measurements?

That would probably make it really easy to figure this out quickly.

Jibartik
08-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Can you use EQ Zone Viewer to do /location measurements?

That would probably make it really easy to figure this out quickly.

but then the pot would be like 2k so you only game yourself! :cool:

Halfcell
08-09-2019, 11:00 AM
I dont know why people keep focusing on Kedge, it's in a lake. Granted BB is at sea level, but even still the assumption that a lake on the other side of a zone called Butcherblock Mountains is at or below sea level is dubious.

What we can be sure of is that Siren's grotto starts at sea level and goes down. Also, I dont know exactly where ST and DN are, but assuming they are below their respective teleporters, they are good candidates for lowest zone. Hell, the lava pit in NToV might be the lowest point in the game. I dont see any above ground temple there.

As for highest zone it is almost certainly High Keep, have you seen the drop down to EK on the back side of Highpass? If it's not high keep it's probably Frontier Mountains, some of those peaks are above the top of the skybox. Everfrost seems unlikely to me as I suspect it's cold because it's up north, not necessarily high in elevation.

Jibartik
08-09-2019, 11:15 AM
I dont know why people keep focusing on Kedge, it's in a lake. Granted BB is at sea level, but even still the assumption that a lake on the other side of a zone called Butcherblock Mountains is at or below sea level is dubious.

Well physically geographically speaking, BB is at sea level as its adjacent to the Ocean of tears... and the approach to DC is pretty flat, maybe +/- 200-400 feet if I was being generous. Then the path through DC zone tunnel is about a -1k foot decline and then the lake, and then kedge, and then kedge is a very vertical zone...

So physically geographically (is that even a thing?) I would say its a very good guess as to the lowest point.

Though the hole is also basically at sea level too hmm :thinking gnome emoji:

Braelyn
08-09-2019, 11:18 AM
I can confirm that the top of the peak above the Town of Kejek in Stonebrunt Mountains is 1455. Should be able to get a screenshot tomorrow.

Xulia
08-09-2019, 11:32 AM
EDIT:
The more i think about it, the more I come to agree with you Xulia.

What do I get for being right 5 pages ago.

Xulia
08-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Butcherblock is at sea level. Crossing into Dagnor's there's a slight incline that leads into a decline, then into the lake, THEN into Kedge Keep. So you're already well below sea level when you zone into Kedge.

What we can be sure of is that Siren's grotto starts at sea level and goes down. Also, I dont know exactly where ST and DN are, but assuming they are below their respective teleporters, they are good candidates for lowest zone. Hell, the lava pit in NToV might be the lowest point in the game. I dont see any above ground temple there.

But there are numerous staircases leading up in NTOV before you get to the lava pit. The way that WW zones into ToV suggests that since the entrance is in a deep canyon it may be the lowest -- however WW does have an ocean to measure sea level, and the entrance to ToV isn't below sea level.

As for highest zone it is almost certainly High Keep, have you seen the drop down to EK on the back side of Highpass? If it's not high keep it's probably Frontier Mountains, some of those peaks are above the top of the skybox. Everfrost seems unlikely to me as I suspect it's cold because it's up north, not necessarily high in elevation.

The peaks of Frontier Mountains feasibly reach to the top of the Dreadlands' western glacier, about where the entrance to the "Hidden Valley" is, and the Combine Spires dwarf even those. What's never made sense to me is that the Combine Spires for how ridiculously oversized they are, are only visible from a certain distance. Those things are so huge that even with atmospheric blurring you should be able to see them from The Overthere.

Jimjam
08-09-2019, 12:11 PM
For people saying take a /loc at sea level and then compare /loc at zonelines as you move through the zones to find the 'true' +/- z loc... I'm pretty sure you're going to find that sea level won't be constant.

Could this be evidence for a Round Norrath conspiracy?!

Halfcell
08-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Well physically geographically speaking, BB is at sea level as its adjacent to the Ocean of tears... and the approach to DC is pretty flat, maybe +/- 200-400 feet if I was being generous. Then the path through DC zone tunnel is about a -1k foot decline and then the lake, and then kedge, and then kedge is a very vertical zone...

So physically geographically (is that even a thing?) I would say its a very good guess as to the lowest point.

Though the hole is also basically at sea level too hmm :thinking gnome emoji:

I am not sure taking the "as the player walks" way of deciding elevation is necessarily the ideal approach. As an example, the climb up to high pass is clearly shorter than the drop to EK on the other side, so either the ocean is higher in Freeport than in Qeynos, or you gain elevation somewhere in between.

As well Frontier mountains are entered lower on the OT side than they are exited on the LOIO side, so unless the majority of frontier mountains is below the level of the lake of ill omen, which makes little sense, it too would be full of water, I just dont think walking from zone to zone is accurate.

Assuming the planet Norath follows the same basic rules of gravity and geography as our world, as the globe in Skyfire suggests it does, there is a rise in elevation on the approach to a mountain range, even if it seems pretty flat as you stand there and walk around.

Xulia
08-09-2019, 01:11 PM
I am not sure taking the "as the player walks" way of deciding elevation is necessarily the ideal approach. As an example, the climb up to high pass is clearly shorter than the drop to EK on the other side, so either the ocean is higher in Freeport than in Qeynos, or you gain elevation somewhere in between.

As well Frontier mountains are entered lower on the OT side than they are exited on the LOIO side, so unless the majority of frontier mountains is below the level of the lake of ill omen, which makes little sense, it too would be full of water, I just dont think walking from zone to zone is accurate.

Lake of Ill Omen used to be the connecting hub between Veksar -- misnomered in earlier lore and the Wiki as Varnek - and Cabilis as they were likely both trading hubs for the Sathirian empire back in its hayday. Veksar then sank into the ground that became the Lake of Ill Omen due to a curse. The Lake of Ill Omen would also be seen as a freshwater source since it is not fed from the sea. Most of the water in LOIO comes from a pool of water running downhill from the FV zoneline -- possibly the result of a sinkhole collapsing and exposing an underground well. The Iksar may have contributed this natural occurrence to a "curse", or maybe Veksar really was cursed and this lake appeared and swallowed the city. Because magic. Either way, LOIO is definitely not at sea level and sits at a middling height compared to FM.

It's also possible that LOIO is a tarn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn_(lake)) and the ice in the Dreadlands used to cover a much larger region of Kunark in ancient times.

Halfcell
08-09-2019, 02:14 PM
It's also possible that LOIO is a tarn (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn_(lake)) and the ice in the Dreadlands used to cover a much larger region of Kunark in ancient times.

This is probably the most likely answer, and was my original assumption, point being that if the valleys of FM are below LOIO, and it was filled by glacial melt, the frontier mountains would be a lake too at least to a depth of the height of the zone out to OT. The only sensible conclusion is that ALL of FM is actually above LOIO and the devs were just better at computer science than geology and geography.

Jimjam
08-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Could be both were tarns, turned lakes, but silted up after the ice retreated. The earthworks of creating a large city caused a compacting or other interruption of the silt in what was to become the LOIO, which then displaced groundwater, causing it to rise up from the spring that feed the water that ended up on top of the lake and flowing down into the sea by the port.

Xulia
08-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Could be both were tarns, turned lakes, but silted up after the ice retreated. The earthworks of creating a large city caused a compacting or other interruption of the silt in what was to become the LOIO, which then displaced groundwater, causing it to rise up from the spring that feed the water that ended up on top of the lake and flowing down into the sea by the port.

This is more likely than a "curse" causing a whole lake to appear and a city to sink. Also possible historical revisionism by later emperors (Rile wasn't too fond of daddy Venril) to explain why they wouldn't rebuild Veksar considering there was ample time to do so between the rise and fall of the Sathirian Empire.

Say what you will about the Iksar, but even when sunken into a lake and driven from their capitol, most of their buildings remained. Civil engineering is apparently one of their strong suits. Looking at you aqueducts of Sebilis.

Jibartik
08-09-2019, 03:10 PM
I am not sure taking the "as the player walks" way of deciding elevation is necessarily the ideal approach. As an example, the climb up to high pass is clearly shorter than the drop to EK on the other side, so either the ocean is higher in Freeport than in Qeynos

lol well ya got me there :D

Maybe the planet look like this

https://i.imgur.com/vE5Kw3n.png

NORRATH NOT ROUND OR FLAT OH NO

Naethyn
08-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Since no one else seems to understand how this competition will work. I will start it off.

https://i.imgur.com/gCnXqVi.jpg is the negative to beat.

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 03:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NCs4hc7.png

what do i win?

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 03:54 PM
should we include the zone in our screenshots? so we keep it p99?

Xulia
08-09-2019, 03:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NCs4hc7.png

what do i win?

You cut the screenshot before we can see the zone you're in.

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 03:55 PM
You cut the screenshot before we can see the zone you're in.

https://i.imgur.com/6f5vKiD.png

demokatt
08-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 04:07 PM
do you need me to make a youtube video of me doing it? lmao

Jibartik
08-09-2019, 04:09 PM
This is our first, official official entry.

So technically if you are right, you get 1k from me, and 1k from yourself (as you entered with a SS)

But we should give it some time until we've got a few entries before we decide the first one is indeed the highest lol

Jimjam
08-09-2019, 04:10 PM
In essence, this is a competition for the most negative (and most positive) player in game?

Naethyn
08-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Please note that no actual plat is involved and on one is responsible for revealing what zone its in. Simply post a screenshot with the most or min Z value and you take the lead.

Xulia
08-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Please note that no actual plat is involved and on one is responsible for revealing what zone its in. Simply post a screenshot with the most or min Z value and you take the lead.

How do you figure that you shouldn't reveal what zone you're in?

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 04:25 PM

i was kidding about the reward. But why not reveal the zone?

i personally do not acknowledge any continents discovered after Velious. 8)

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 04:37 PM
for the haters

https://youtu.be/eoJcZ51-h8k?t=202

Xulia
08-09-2019, 04:40 PM
for the haters

https://youtu.be/eoJcZ51-h8k?t=202

Not a hater, in fact I am applauding you. Thank you, Bbeta!

Jibartik
08-09-2019, 05:00 PM
that was awesome and your dedication to winning is even better.

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 05:06 PM
thanks friends

Jibartik
08-09-2019, 05:08 PM
I love how it sounds like your friend is like "good luck" :eyeroll:

Halfcell
08-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Since no one else seems to understand how this competition will work. I will start it off.

https://i.imgur.com/gCnXqVi.jpg is the negative to beat.

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

Bah, much more fun to argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Why would you bring numbers into this?

Coeur
08-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Master Yael area

https://i.imgur.com/WUg9GOp.jpg

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 06:04 PM
niceeee! we have a new lowest

im thinking the highest will be island 8 in shy. thats wayyy up there. DL spires still the winner atm

Xulia
08-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Might be a bit tough to get a Z axis for the lowest point in ST...I know my lvl 59 butt isn't getting in there anytime soon.

Bbeta
08-09-2019, 06:28 PM
hmm, hold my beer

Jibartik
08-10-2019, 11:59 AM
well this is mute but I wanted to see some kedge numbers and idk how far along we are but I did think it was interesting that the kedge enterence and the start of kedge zone line were aprox the same Z loc

I could only get -32 before I got scared, I do not know how to survive in kedge :(

https://i.imgur.com/toOz4Lz.png

DC water level

https://i.imgur.com/WgmTAVo.png

Kedge's cave

https://i.imgur.com/bvT1TJT.png

Zone in of Kedge

https://i.imgur.com/p3OWb5T.png

As deep as I could get (that first shaft I got scared :( )

Jibartik
08-10-2019, 12:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/LL27Zbf.png

BB druid spires are basically at 0

https://i.imgur.com/xqXpCXs.png

with a very slow grade of 0.(edit lol 0)1 to DC :o

https://i.imgur.com/Q97O3uQ.png

and then suddenly you are 500 feet in the air when you zone into DC :p

https://i.imgur.com/nsZXwpx.png

Gfay zone has a slow grade (down) of -1.23 (lol why am I doing this) (note the zone line is actually at like 2)

https://i.imgur.com/78ny6Yv.png

oh hey look Gfay is right on target. /shrug

Jibartik
08-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Well I guess I'll work on this map until Im dead or I finish

https://i.imgur.com/GJcs1Wz.png

can someone find me a girlfriend plz

Halfcell
08-10-2019, 05:17 PM

and then suddenly you are 500 feet in the air when you zone into DC.

#vindicated

Vasarious
08-10-2019, 07:49 PM

and then suddenly you are 500 feet in the air when you zone into DC :p

https://i.imgur.com/nsZXwpx.png

Gfay zone has a slow grade (down) of -1.23 (lol why am I doing this) (note the zone line is actually at like 2)

https://i.imgur.com/78ny6Yv.png

oh hey look Gfay is right on target. /shrug

I guess you could rationalize the discrepancy of zone z axis that border each other as the game skipping a little travel time. Like say the trip from butcher to dagnor's is super boring and pointless so it skips that climb and dumps you at the top of the pass inside dagnors.

That said, the walk down from that zone in seems pretty pointless, as does the one from e karana to highpass but hey, who knows. Maybe that long ramp up is because the levels expected to traverse it run a higher risk of dying trying to make it back out. Theres a lot less risk of a level 13 running thru butcher to get to dagnors than the other way around. That's a long ass run up the pass if you're running for your life from some goblins or skeletons.

Chortles Snort|eS
08-12-2019, 11:52 AM
wuT abOut kinG eyEs GorGE sumThing
dEy RockS lOoK REal hIgH!
no cAn cLimB!

Zuranthium
08-12-2019, 11:10 PM
I guess you could rationalize the discrepancy of zone z axis that border each other as the game skipping a little travel time. Like say the trip from butcher to dagnor's is super boring and pointless so it skips that climb and dumps you at the top of the pass inside dagnors.

There's no reason Dagnor's Cauldron itself should be higher than Butcherblock, when looking at the world map.

Jibartik
08-13-2019, 10:03 AM
There's no reason Dagnor's Cauldron itself should be higher than Butcherblock, when looking at the world map.

They don't call em everquest's mysteries for no reason :p

platapus
08-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Here's a thought, has anyone checked to see if all the water in the game is at 0 z axis?

Maybe its like some weird rule with their engine, that if game designers want water in their zone, they just place the ground, below 0 z axis?

Just a thought.

Maciver
08-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Can't believe i read this whole thing after coming inside for a drink. Going back outside ffs.

Xulia
08-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Something that would help resolve the issue of Z axis would be to know the process and application used to build the Classic zones. Then we could see if the +/- Z values were associated with height/depth outside of those zones or if each zone has an independent 0.0 Z point.

Jibartik
08-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Can't believe i read this whole thing after coming inside for a drink. Going back outside ffs.

The best place to get a drink is at about -0 :p

Here's a thought, has anyone checked to see if all the water in the game is at 0 z axis?

Maybe its like some weird rule with their engine, that if game designers want water in their zone, they just place the ground, below 0 z axis?

Just a thought.

The waterline in DC was like -8 iirc but I'm going to do more sleuthing :cool: