PDA

View Full Version : Green Wiki

Jlpstrtkng
08-14-2019, 12:42 AM
Do you think we’re gonna have a new separate wiki for all the vanilla items Pre nerf for green or will the regular wiki go back to showing these items as dropping? Loramin that’s your que lol

loramin
08-14-2019, 11:32 AM
For the record, I'm just one wikieditor (albeit a prolific one with admin privileges). It's certainly not "my" wiki, it's ours. So that means "we" need to solve the issue. But of course, I have been thinking about it a lot and ... ugh.

Some stuff will be easy. A lot of content already has "era" flags at the top which indicate when it was introduced. A lot of the wiki fixing will just be adding some more of those flags, but again the bulk is already done.

The harder stuff is when a mob/item/zone/spell/whatever actually changes between eras. Think of the Temple of Droga: it had one version up until fairly recently, and now it has another. Up until now the wiki has just shown the current version, so when it changed on Blue the wiki changed to match.

Now, someone needs to go back through the page's history and recover the version before that happened. And once they do, they need to create a new page, maybe "Chardok (Pre-Revamp)", rename the existing page (to maybe "Chardok (Post-Revamp)"), and then make the current "Chardok" page a disambiguation page with links to both.

... or at least that's one possibility. Maybe when you go to look at the old version, it's really not all that different. If that's the case, maybe we can keep having just one page for the zone, but have two "basic info tables" at the top for the two versions.

And really, this all leads up to my master plan, which in a nutshell is: "let's wait and see". In my experience the "right solution" for the wiki is almost always dependent on the content. So to me it doesn't make sense to make some master plan for Green. Instead, I think we should just tackle each "Green issue" as it comes up, on a case-by-case basis.

Over time we'll start seeing patterns and organically the wiki fall into place ... or at least that's my hope :D