PDA

View Full Version : combat flee stun

Novemix
08-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Added in the February 10, 2019 patch.

Anybody else think the stun happens way too often and for too long of a duration?

I'm not asking for the game to be easy, but this thing is extremely un-fun.

I played live through at least Planes of Power and don't remember this being remotely like it is now on P99.

Jibartik
08-22-2019, 06:41 PM
There is only 1 thing that could potentially make me hate this game.

Being stunned another 1 or 2 million more times.

GOD I hate being stunned so much. Want to position yourself? NO NOT FOR 2 MORE SECONDS, want to look up? NO NOT RIGHT NOW etc.

When I'm raging I yell "ALL THIS IS DOING IS MAKING THE FIGHT MORE ANNOYING NOT MORE DIFFICULT I'M STILL GOING TO WIN."

Arvan
08-22-2019, 06:54 PM
They stunned your back on live but it was not this bad its ridiculous right meow.

Jibartik
08-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Being stunned is the devil.

fastboy21
08-22-2019, 08:05 PM
This has been brought up before (pretty much like the day after it was patched in).

My personal "feel" of the mechanic is that the stun-while-running is a very classic needed update, but it seems to be happening too much...

I'm not sure how else to research the frequency of how it was on live without just relying on intuition and memory, which are obviously super flawed.

I'm not even sure if it stayed the same or decreased with level on live...I seem to think that it was higher at low level, but that is possibly just because I was more likely to be running from stuff at lower levels.

Novemix
08-22-2019, 08:15 PM
Well, in the absence of any hard data about frequency, I'm hoping that if the devs read this, they see (again?) that this is currently very un-fun and can be backed off (frequency reduced, chance to stun made less, how ever you want to phrase it) to a more reasonable level. Maybe as much as half what it is currently.

soulsummenor
08-22-2019, 08:18 PM
When you are running away from mobs and get hit, it's like being rooted. Might as well just make all the mobs proc a root.

Keza
08-22-2019, 10:57 PM
I doubt there is any likelihood that they could know the exact proc chance of this unless someone official has access to the code which is probably long dead, or perhaps one of the devs has a perfect memory.. and isn't long dead. As for whether it's 'un-fun' or not I could list thousands of games that I find so shit that I think they should just shut them down. Current live EQ to start and ending with some of the most popular games in the world. One man's trash. Is still trash - but some people like them. Regardless, being CC'd is never fun since it takes away your ability to play the game, but that brings us to the crux of your argument. The point of p99 isn't technically to make the game fun, is it?

I personally recall this resulting in my death many times on live. I'm not saying it's an exactly perfect proc rate, there's no way I could know, but if you don't remember it happening much I'd guess you either have a bad memory or weren't as awful at the game as I was and didn't experience it as often as I did, because I remember whirltillyouhurl simulator '99.

Novemix
08-22-2019, 11:54 PM
Well, there's a line between challenging and just silly. My point in making this thread was to get people to weigh in, and I think that the consensus will be that it's on the silly side of things right now, and that maybe just possibly the devs might make a change to un-silly it. Is it the end of the world if nothing happens? No, but here's hoping a change might be made.

Haynar
08-23-2019, 12:30 AM
Parsed it from live. Calculated from logs. It came out about 12% per hit to stun.

Don’t get hit.

fastboy21
08-23-2019, 12:44 AM
Parsed it from live. Calculated from logs. It came out about 12% per hit to stun.

Don’t get hit.

It feels like a lot more than a 12% chance per hit...but its prob just the perception.

Thanks for posting, btw. Did you parse it from live (as in the modern EQ) or from logs in vanilla-veliuos era?

Novemix
08-23-2019, 01:25 AM
It feels like a lot more than a 12% chance per hit

I'd have to agree. But yes, thanks for responding Haynar, appreciate it.

Kinaki
08-23-2019, 03:19 AM
Cargalia's Pet vehemently opposes any changes to stun-from-behind mechanics.

aaezil
08-23-2019, 04:13 AM
Did you parse it from a lvl 10 cloth class or what lol

zodium
08-23-2019, 04:44 AM

Don’t get hit.

yeah I definitely remember Live stuns being very frequent, but I also seem to remember there being a 1-sec grace period between stuns that I'm not sure is implemented here (or maybe implemented on a per-mob basis)? Just a hunch I guess, there's some serious chain stunning going on that don't feel right to me, and a regression analysis on backstun proc chance wouldn't necessarily catch a grace period.

zodium
08-23-2019, 06:34 AM
on reflection this may have been a SoD thing

fastboy21
08-23-2019, 10:20 AM
It might also seem higher because mobs on p99 can hit you from a mile away if you aren't strafing.

alsa
08-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Another thing that might be in play is that on live the stun have a cool down. Say you have 4 mobs hitting you, each have 12% chance of stunning hit, which is great.

But without any kind of cool down, you can be in the middle of 1st stun when a second stun land and a third... It felt like on live stun happens as often as here, but it doesn't "root" us in place after 1st's full duration.

Maybe try to collect data with say 10 mobs hitting from behind and see if there is really a cool down on how often you can get stunned?

Haynar
08-23-2019, 10:48 AM
On live in classic. You strafe strafe strafe. You beg for sow. Sow drops you beg for sow.

I parsed on a lowbie. And parsed on a high level char. Basically i set char to walk and walked away. Its only valid when moving. But spent time parsing low level mobs on a level 75 char too. And it all came out about the same. Low level mobs stunned at same rate as higher level mobs.

I threw out all bashes when parsing.

fastboy21
08-23-2019, 12:03 PM
On live in classic. You strafe strafe strafe. You beg for sow. Sow drops you beg for sow.

Its true that in vanilla EQ on live sow and strafing were really important...but I don't think it equals out to the long distance hit bug on p99. I do consider that long distance hit to be a bug that I'm sure you've probably looked into before and would remove if you could...but it is apparently unfixable.

The difference probably doesn't matter much when you are running from mobs to escape melee or when you are long distancing pulling with a bow or spell, but it does make a huge difference if you are body pulling or medium distance pulling (like on a monk in a dungeon with shruikens) that mobs have a chance to stun you from out of distance. That one stun frequently means that the whole room of mobs you just tagged is now right on you, and what would have been a perfectly safe pull is now risky.

My first char on p99 was a bard and I learned to AE kite persistantly timing my turns and strafing to avoid hits...it is not similar to live doing the same thing. Its practically a different game when it comes to avoiding all hits on p99 while you AE kite (or at least it was...I haven't done a large AE kite on my bard since kunark on p99).

You're obviously a pretty smart guy who took a lot of time to try to reconstruct the mechanic as much as possible. I also think that adding the mechanic in was a really needed addition to p99.

I am saying that it feels wrong to me, and I'm grasping at straws to try to find out why. I have played on p99, every TLP in classic, as well as modern live EQ. So, it should feel about the same given how you parsed the data. But it doesn't, for some reason. Sorry, I know that this isn't super helpful...other than giving you some feedback.