PDA

View Full Version : Empty rooms upon empty rooms

3d_glasses
08-22-2019, 08:29 PM
I find a (ill admit) pretty cornball satisfaction when, in cities with empty rooms upon rooms, I find one to camp in. I'll even set my character on a bed or a chair. Recently, seeking pointless lodging in the room above the Freeport Port Authority I thought to myself, "Why not make these empty rooms upon empty rooms have some meaning?" And so I left a pair of Drake Hide Leggings i had been carrying around on the dresser - hoping some intrepid wanderer would have something to find. After logging I looked up the time dropped stuff fades away - three minutes! Any suggestions on how to make empty rooms upon rooms have more meaning/use? Any favorite random spots - like the dancers in Neriak? Freeport underground?

Opehy

Jibartik
08-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Ok so I used to have a room above a shop in Nfreeport. Im sure many of you use it. For ages I camped there, every character I had, and rarely anyone would set foot in there though. There was a bed, a table and a chair. And one female merchant. My wife.

She kept the apartment tidy and all my rechargeable in tip top shape, while I'd slay beasts for coin to give her to go shopping with everytime I'd visit to have her sew up my tattered armor and gear. Id camp every character I had there and do transfers, it was great. I loved the absurdity of it all lol it was convenient, but also inconvenient. How stupid smh.

I wish this game had homes so bad!

I'm also pretty sure at least twice in my life I have roleplayed renting a room at that Inn in Felwith to camp a character. I liked the rested exp mechanic in wow that was a cool way to encourage this type of asshattery.

3d_glasses
08-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Haha yea...i wish there was an emergent behavior fix like players commonly filling the rooms with random/weird stuff but as long as it fades so quick that cant happen....

Modwolf
08-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Where will I drop xfer if people are poking around.

3d_glasses
08-22-2019, 09:15 PM
Latest Guild <WeTransfer>

-Opehy

Tanom5
08-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Latest Guild <WeTransfer>

-Opehy

I cry a little inside that a genuinely nice thread became an advertisement board.

3d_glasses
08-23-2019, 12:03 AM
Whats your solution to the empty rooms upon empty rooms?

-Opehy

Tanom5
08-23-2019, 12:14 AM
Ah. It seems I misunderstood your post. I read it as you advertising for your brand new service guild like Dial. I am sorry.

3d_glasses
08-23-2019, 12:21 AM
But you said it was a genuinely nice thread : (

-Opehy

Tanom5
08-23-2019, 12:22 AM
It is. I just misunderstood your later post.

Chortles Snort|eS
08-23-2019, 06:11 AM
me lieK to CamP in seKret Guk bedRoom sumTime near watErfall

TomisFeline
08-23-2019, 06:49 AM
lol

Teppler
08-23-2019, 09:27 AM
I always thought a cool 'world interacting' element Everquest could have is making it so all the taverns have random conversations with between NPCs that give hints to really detailed epic like quests. Some times the hint will be repeated every day, some times the hint will only be said once. This idea is kind of inspired by the idea that there were so many quests that went unsolved in the original everquest.

3d_glasses
08-23-2019, 09:43 AM
I always thought a cool 'world interacting' element Everquest could have is making it so all the taverns have random conversations with between NPCs that give hints to really detailed epic like quests. Some times the hint will be repeated every day, some times the hint will only be said once. This idea is kind of inspired by the idea that there were so many quests that went unsolved in the original everquest.

This is a great idea! I always feel like im constantly checking the wiki for info but there's really no alternative

-Opehy

jolanar
08-23-2019, 09:51 AM
I doubt there are any unsolved quests in Everquest. Only broken quests.

3d_glasses
08-25-2019, 12:15 AM
I doubt there are any unsolved quests in Everquest. Only broken quests.

A valid comment but it mischaracterizes the statement. We are discussing ways to make the empty rooms upon empty rooms in cities more meaningful to everyday playing, regardless of whether quests have ultimately been solved or not. Its kind of like instead of putting out the storylines as a separate box in game, the storylines are produced by city dwelling NPCs

foxchris509
08-25-2019, 01:29 AM
empty rooms upon empty rooms lmao

Wonkie
08-25-2019, 01:36 AM
eq is basically a graphical mud so

make the rooms lockable and silence chat/emotes outside them

let's get weird

Swish2
08-25-2019, 03:42 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity for custom content <3

Jibartik
08-25-2019, 10:02 AM
Related but not related..

When I was a young boy, I was also a powerful paladin. Outside of guk one day I encountered a hurt half elf bard, she asked me to help her retrieve her corpse from a room deep within guk.

I had nothing better to do and am a noble paladin and heroic young boy, so I said "ok sure!"

I thought she was behaving a bit strange all the way to her corpse, but the short story is, once we got their and sat down to med after clearing the area a moment of silence passes and then I see:

Xerlela slides her hand into Dementors grieves.

I instinctively reached for the power cord of my computer and yanked it (and not myself) out of the wall.

It was the first time I ever pulled the plug on a computer, a skill I would later use to save my life in pvp.

Chortles Snort|eS
08-25-2019, 10:19 AM
and deN everboDy cLappED