PDA

View Full Version : Can you use the sun?!

Smuuglie
08-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Can you use the sun in open zones like, let's say, the Karanas, to accurately know where north is (taken you know what time it is obviously with /time) Anyone ever tested ?

Swish2
08-25-2019, 08:59 PM
A weapon put on the ground always points north, I've never tested the sun in the sky vs the time.

daxchunjae1912
08-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Back in late 2000 I remember I got lost in Western Plains of Karana and that year I had just drove cross country from Connecticut to California. I’ll never forget driving at around 4pm along a long stretch of highway with the sun rays searing into my retinas making it difficult to see the road.

From that point on I always remembered the sun sets in the west and rises in the east. I used that info and the silly ‘Never Eat Shredded Wheat’ mnemonic and applied it to my hopelessly lost elf mage weeks later, I actually managed to find the pathway to Qeynos Hills without a trusty EQ Atlas map or the in game sense directions by following the sun! I felt like I accomplished something extraordinary that day. Oh, what memories!

Worry
08-26-2019, 12:35 AM
A weapon put on the ground always points north, I've never tested the sun in the sky vs the time. I tried testing this with my Blade of Carnage and a toon named Notswish ran up and snagged it from the shadows! :eek:

fastboy21
08-26-2019, 02:00 AM
I was really hoping this thread was going to be about solar powered laptops.

Whoop
08-26-2019, 02:35 AM
Praise the sun! Y

Zuranthium
08-26-2019, 02:38 AM
Sometimes did this back in the day, but the amount of Everquest that has no sun view is startling. Many zones are naturally dark or somehow block your field of vision, and then there's the issue of how frequently it rained in the zones that were more open. Also isn't useful when the sun is directly overhead rather than distinctly facing a certain horizon.

Swish2
08-26-2019, 03:17 AM
I tried testing this with my Blade of Carnage and a toon named Notswish ran up and snagged it from the shadows! :eek:

There you go, you know that wasn't me... the name says so.

If you're in the market for a new weapon though...

https://i.imgur.com/nmehiE2.png