PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Green is Coming to the Wiki Spell Lists ... But How?

loramin
09-08-2019, 12:20 PM
The wiki already has era information "templates". I listed them all here (http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Era_Templates), but the basic idea is that you can add (say) "{{Classic Era}}" to mark a whole page as classic, or add "{{Warrens Era Inline}}" next to something in the wiki to add the text "Warrens Era" (with an era-colored background) next to it.

However, with Green coming we're going to have two different servers in two different eras, which means players will care a lot more about eras. I'm not sure those templates will be enough.

For instance, they don't work with the class spell lists: they add (say) "Kunark Era", but the spell lists say "Kun". So, I tried a couple of experiments to highlight era information more prominently, without using up much more space:

the original Ranger spell list (http://wiki.project1999.com/Ranger#Spells)
the era-colored spell list (http://wiki.project1999.com/Ranger/Spells_Color)
the era icon list (http://wiki.project1999.com/Ranger/Spells_Icon)

The first one keeps the three-letters, but adds a colored background (I just used the wiki's existing era color scheme: classic green, kunark brown, velious blue). It also adds "Cla" for all the Classic-era spells (the current list just leaves them blank).

The second one replaces the letters with "icons" I made from the covers of the various boxes. I really didn't want to make the spell rows take up much more vertical space, so I had to keep these icons extremely small, but hopefully they're still recognizable.

Anyhow, my question to the community is: which do you like best? Please try to be open-minded, and remember that era info will be more significant going forward. Also, if you have any further feedback, alternative ideas, etc. please provide them in the comments.

Oh, and one last thing: you'll also notice that all three versions have checkboxes to let you filter spells by era. I plan to add these to all spell lists, but to do so I need to redo those pages with new templates ... and I need the answers to this poll so I can finalize those templates first :)

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 12:24 PM
classic or bust

Jibartik
09-08-2019, 02:44 PM
I think the colors looks more in theme to the rest of the wiki

also I think there should be a 4th designation, i have this problem on other eq sites a lot

Original, but not available on launch day.

I see lots of items on alla from temple of sol ro that are maked as ORIGNINAL for example.

I think it'd be nice if you're adding this designation to all equipment on the p99, to make sure that it has a 4th "original, but not on launch day" designation.

loramin
09-08-2019, 03:11 PM
I think the colors looks more in theme to the rest of the wiki

also I think there should be a 4th designation, i have this problem on other eq sites a lot

Original, but not available on launch day.

I see lots of items on alla from temple of sol ro that are maked as ORIGNINAL for example.

I think it'd be nice if you're adding this designation to all equipment on the p99, to make sure that it has a 4th "original, but not on launch day" designation.

Well, I think the jury is still out as to how much of that stuff will even be different on Green at launch. There's a possibility that Green will just launch with that stuff, making things easy for the wiki.

If that's not the case though I completely agree that we need "sub eras" for classic the way we have with sub-eras like the Warrens Era inside Kunark.

Jibartik
09-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Sure sure, Im speaking to the accuracy of our records.

Green should not be the benchmark, classic accuracy should be, and future green servers should strive for it I hope! :)

Vexenu
09-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Original is best. No need to add clutter by marking over 90% of the spells as Classic.

loramin
09-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Wow, no one liked my icons; guess I should have spent more time making them :o More importantly, the colored eras version has a strong lead, with the 9/11 option following it fairly close for second ;)

If anyone still wants to vote please do so now, and if you want to see anything else (eg. better era icons, different colors, whatever) this is your last chance to ask!

Jibartik
09-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Aw man sorry lor 8(

I liked them, I just thought the simplicity worked best of the color font background 8(

Ravhin
09-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Hey,

Anything else we need to do? I'm thinking the equipment lists by slot, are these actually used? Right now the options are "All", "Velious Only", "Pre-Velious Only". I guess it would be good to have a "Classic Only" or "Pre-Kunark Only"?

Are the era templates now fairly complete on items/NPCs/quests? If so, very nice!

monkeydoc
09-09-2019, 02:15 PM
I didn't pick the icons because they were more difficult to tell apart at a glance. Green VS Red is quick and easy. The icons were more similar to one another and therefore difficult to tell apart at a glance.

loramin
09-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Hey,

OMG the legend himself returns :D

Because I post here a lot about the wiki, some people think I'm "Mr. Wiki". But Ravhin is our true wiki lord and master. He's responsible for so many of the wiki's features, so everyone here should be super grateful to him!

https://i.imgur.com/I2Vm1GM.gif?noredirect

Anything else we need to do?

I'll PM you my thoughts.

Jibartik
09-09-2019, 03:48 PM
A thought that made me chortle in the shower this morning was, I was thinking it'd be rad (no offense to the GREAT WORK that you two have done helping to keep track of classic eq on the wiki) for nilbog to shut down the wiki the day they launch green without telling anyone so we couldn't use it lol

loramin
09-09-2019, 04:23 PM
A thought that made me chortle in the shower this morning was, I was thinking it'd be rad (no offense to the GREAT WORK that you two have done helping to keep track of classic eq on the wiki) for nilbog to shut down the wiki the day they launch green without telling anyone so we couldn't use it lol

It's a cute idea, but Google's cache ensures that even if he did most of the info would remain available.

Jibartik
09-09-2019, 04:47 PM
haha yea, its a fools errand but there are a lot of dummies that use it that would be like WHAT DO I DOOO??

lol maybe the majority of players

Maybe dummies is too harsh lol... Luddites!

Fraud
09-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Era-colored Spell List all the way.