PDA

View Full Version : Which Tank class should I roll?

Midoo
09-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Warrior, Paladin and Shadow Knight all seem cool as fuck to me. I'm looking for a simple answer considering the following variables:

- I have zero patience and won't be taking these to max level so raid/endgame performance does not matter to me.

- I'm a huge fan of soloing because I'm not always feeling social.

- I'm still new to the server, my main is a level 35 barb shammy. I'm too broke to twink at all but I can craft banded armor and maybe afford a 500 plat weapon if I'm really willing to sacrifice and I can make sow/gate/ivu potions.

- I like doing big dick DPS but still at least be able to hold enemies to my face, so I need less of a tank-focused class and more of a damage dealer who can also hold aggro.

bigjeff100
09-11-2019, 03:16 PM
SK I'm thinkin? Also maybe consider a monk?

ineubis
09-11-2019, 03:22 PM
If solo is your primary thing I would sasy SK. Fear kiting is huge and got me all the way to 60.

Any big dick damage won't happen until you're above lvl 40 (when the dmg caps are removed) and have a nice 2H weapon, but not a DPS class by any means, unless well-geared.

For holding agro, the SK/PAL snap agro is great.

Zero patience and EQ do not mix :P

Jibartik
09-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Yeah SK for you for sure.

Any big dick damage won't happen

For any of these classes lol but the SK is your best shot at that. Altho on red servers, you are able to do that big dick damage you're so after, but not currently on p99s red server because there are no players there. (unless at 60 now a warrior is some berzerk crazy dps machine idk anything about that)

But I still think you will enjoy SK based on your bullet points.

Which one of the 3 seems most interesting to you to gear? Id go with that one.

Crawdad
09-11-2019, 03:26 PM
- I have zero patience and won't be taking these to max level so raid/endgame performance does not matter to me.
+Pal/SK

- I'm a huge fan of soloing because I'm not always feeling social.
+SK

- I'm still new to the server, my main is a level 35 barb shammy. I'm too broke to twink at all but I can craft banded armor and maybe afford a 500 plat weapon if I'm really willing to sacrifice and I can make sow/gate/ivu potions.
+Pal/SK

- I like doing big dick DPS but still at least be able to hold enemies to my face, so I need less of a tank-focused class and more of a damage dealer who can also hold aggro.
+War, or -Tanking

---
You'd probably be best off with SK, if you do want a tank. Either of the hybrid tanks are easy to pick up and tank fresh. Your healers might have to work a little harder, but they are the less gear dependent options. Gear is cheap for Pal/SK, SK solos better than Pal or War, and SK is AFK friendly thanks to FD. Warrior is the only tanking class that can fill a Dps role, sorta.

You might want to consider monk like bigjeff said, or possibly bard. Both can tank, both can deal damage (though by casting as bard), both have cheap lowbie gear. Or if you're set on a real tank class, try out SK.

Midoo
09-11-2019, 03:41 PM
40 minutes later my year and a half of experience with EQ kicked in and I realized I was probably describing a monk

You guys think it's worth it?

Danth
09-11-2019, 03:43 PM
For the ~200P cost of a wu's staff and a little extra platinum for bandages there isn't much opportunity cost. Give it a shot and see if it's for you.

Danth

Crede
09-11-2019, 04:13 PM
40 minutes later my year and a half of experience with EQ kicked in and I realized I was probably describing a monk

You guys think it's worth it?

It’s monk and it’s not even close. Such a broke class, especially now on blue with triple attack.

Honorable mention to warrior if you just want to tank a lot more but still do good dps.

DromalPhrenia
09-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Make a paladin, no one plays paladins

Arcticflava
09-11-2019, 09:05 PM
You described a Shadowknight.

Schmandis
09-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Make a paladin, no one plays paladins

I play a Paladin

Jimjam
09-12-2019, 02:37 AM
Ranger with silver swiftblade in banded or monk with wu's quivering staff in mesh armor. Those weapons you can both pick up dirt cheap. Add in a couple of platinum fire wedding rings, or if you can get a good deal, silver chitin hand wraps and that is budget spent.

Halfcell
09-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Yea, the answer to your question is either monk or ranger. Probably monk.

Jibartik
09-12-2019, 09:19 AM
If you like the outdoor zones more than the indoor ones, and like magic spells over melee slaps, go with ranger.

But if you're the opposite of those things make the monk!

bradsamma
09-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Rangers tank almost as well as a SK for group content and are the best pullers in outdoors zones.

Monks tank just fine in groups but have trouble with agro.

Both classes solo very well without too much twinking. Especially the monk.

SK is obviously the best tank if you want to solo without a huge amount of twinking but have sub-par DPS.

For each class, I would make a set of platinum fire wedding rings a priority. It is a huge upgrade at early levels for very cheap. After that, I would prioritize weapons. After that comes the SCHW for haste which are dirt cheap.

Finally you can start filling out all of your slots with ~100plat pieces.

Midoo
09-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Decided to roll a monk and I'm currently looking for help gearing him

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333644