PDA

View Full Version : Am superstitious or...?

Brut
11-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Does it help to waggle back and forth facing left and right while casting to not get push interrupted? Feels like when not doing it, em gets pushed backwards and interrupted a lot, but doing this negates the pushback and em gets spells off more consistently. /ponder

Videri
11-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Thoughts:
There are two ways of getting interrupted: stun and push.

Push
Melee hits cause a small amount of push. Your orientation when hitting an enemy determines the direction in which they are pushed. However, your orientation when hit has no effect on the direction in which you are pushed. The only thing that matters is the direction in which the NPC hitting you is facing (which will always be directly toward you).

So I know of no mechanic by which waggling would mitigate interruption by push.

Stun
If an attacker doesn’t land bash, you won’t be stunned. (Wait, is that true? I’m not sure that’s true. Paging Daldaen or Jimjam.)

Anyway, if you’re facing the mob, you have a chance to use your passive avoidance abilities (Dodge, Parry/Block, and Riposte). If you’re facing away from the mob, you do not get to Dodge/Parry/Riposte (I don’t know about Block...monks are OP, so I wouldn’t be surprised). Anyway, waggle too far and you might present your rear arc to the mob and nerf your own avoidance abilities. So waggling is possibly counterproductive or possibly doing nothing.

Erati
11-04-2019, 02:29 PM
miss Brut's face

Videri
11-04-2019, 02:33 PM
The following applies if you have the Channeling skill (no monks, rogues, or warriors):

Push interruption is all about X/Y distance from where you started casting. For anyone not sure what I mean, try corner-casting. Stand in a corner, as far in as you can go. Start a long spell, like Gate or a Shielding or a port. Run all around, all you want, then get your character back into the corner before the spell finishes. You will “regain your concentration and continue your casting” every time.

And by the way, Z axis doesn’t matter. Levitate really high, start casting Levitate or Gate or Shadow Step, and click off Levitate. You’ll start to fall, but finish the spell. Levitate will stop you in midair (no damage), Gate will take you home, and Shadow Step will put you on the ground instantly with no damage. Don’t try this on a rogue, though (no Channeling).

If you get pushed backward while casting, try to walk forward the same amount to increase the chance your Channeling skill succeeds and you finish the spell. Or just push your back into a corner or at least a wall so you can’t be pushed.

jolanar
11-04-2019, 03:13 PM
And by the way, Z axis doesn’t matter. Levitate really high, start casting Levitate or Gate or Shadow Step, and click off Levitate. You’ll start to fall, but finish the spell. Levitate will stop you in midair (no damage), Gate will take you home, and Shadow Step will put you on the ground instantly with no damage. Don’t try this on a rogue, though (no Channeling).

Why do you fail spells while sinking in water then?

Baler
11-04-2019, 03:14 PM

This is so annoying lol

Videri
11-04-2019, 03:15 PM

You shouldn’t. If you are experiencing that, it may be a bug. Unless you’re being hit or moving laterally for some other reason.

Jorlaan
11-04-2019, 05:38 PM
The following applies if you have the Channeling skill (no monks, rogues, or warriors):

Push interruption is all about X/Y distance from where you started casting. For anyone not sure what I mean, try corner-casting. Stand in a corner, as far in as you can go. Start a long spell, like Gate or a Shielding or a port. Run all around, all you want, then get your character back into the corner before the spell finishes. You will “regain your concentration and continue your casting” every time.

If you get pushed backward while casting, try to walk forward the same amount to increase the chance your Channeling skill succeeds and you finish the spell. Or just push your back into a corner or at least a wall so you can’t be pushed.

I have been playing EQ in some form since just a couple months or so after it was released and this is the first time I've seen such a clear and simple explanation of channeling. Some of this I think I "intuitively" knew from playing so much EQ, but I've never tested some of the possibilities and some of this is kinda surprising.

Nitholias01
11-04-2019, 08:37 PM
i definitely wiggle hoping not to get stunned

planarity
11-04-2019, 08:55 PM
very interesting! I sometimes tap my forward key to counteract the push and facilitate channeling, but that's very difficult to do consistently

Swish
11-04-2019, 09:26 PM

lag... https://i.imgur.com/arycBtR.gif

...and maybe slight movement along the X/Y axis as you're sinking? I'm not sure if you stop swimming if you suddenly just descend on the Z axis.

Brut
11-05-2019, 02:20 AM
Got general idea of how the mechanics work, yea, but think I'm basing the idea that facing left and right would cancel out the push because the character is in the middle of turning as the push happens?

Kinda like if I run and stop to cast, I spin left or right a bit first before casting, which usually works so I don't get interrupts for the sudden stop plus latency.

It's most likely just pure placebo tho and makes combat slightly less monotonous. Har Har.

Videri
11-05-2019, 02:27 AM
Got general idea of how the mechanics work, yea, but think I'm basing the idea that facing left and right would cancel out the push because the character is in the middle of turning as the push happens?

Kinda like if I run and stop to cast, I spin left or right a bit first before casting, which usually works so I don't get interrupts for the sudden stop plus latency.

It's most likely just pure placebo tho and makes combat slightly less monotonous. Har Har.

Wait...maybe you're onto something. I also make a short, quick mouse turn when I stop running just before starting a spell...maybe if you get pushed, THEN do a short waggle, it forces the game to realize you're NO LONGER BEING PUSHED and gives you a better chance to channel???

Also btw I realize you're a long-time player and I hope my pedantic monologue didn't patronize you. I was thinking of the other possible readers.

Videri
11-06-2019, 01:45 AM
I just cast several spells while sinking downward in water.

I did give my character a couple seconds to stop X-Y motion before starting my spells, as I always have, since in water your inertia carries you forward for a couple seconds.