PDA

View Full Version : Using a dot to kill, camping out before death to avoid faction hit question

Petrified Wood
11-03-2019, 05:52 PM
As the title infers ~ I am curious what happens to a mob and their corpse if you camp out before their death, after doting them for the kill. Does the mobs corpse just poof away or does it fall to the ground having the poof timer to loot like normal? Just curious if anyone has tested this. This could be a well know method of killing for all I know, just never done it/read about it myself. Thanks for any response that's helpful, cheers!

Floppycat
11-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Pretty sure when you camp or go LD all your spells wear off on any mobs.

Polixa
11-03-2019, 05:55 PM
If it dies with no player having hurt it still in the zone, it poofs.

Petrified Wood
11-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Ahh ok, I had that suspicion and was about to add that to the scenario above, only the person doting was killing it. Thanks for the quick reply and confirming what I was guessing. Shame though, might of been a new way for me to get some kills that I normally have to avoid hehe.

DMN
11-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Ahh ok, I had that suspicion and was about to add that to the scenario above, only the person doting was killing it. Thanks for the quick reply and confirming what I was guessing. Shame though, might of been a new way for me to get some kills that I normally have to avoid hehe.

Are you a necro? Cause you can kill without faction hits on them.

Petrified Wood
11-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Nope, I am not a necromancer. I do have a druid so I guess in the scenario outlined above I was thinking about that class. I am curious what you mean by them not taking a faction hit. FD? Just pet attacking?

Swish
11-03-2019, 06:24 PM
What are the mobs OP? If its a city faction, you can trash it and bank around the wall in most cities. As a druid you just need one city that can do things like food/drink/etc anyway ;)

I'm a typically evil faction player, and the faction issues aren't that limiting if you're used to them.

Baler
11-03-2019, 06:24 PM
I remember zoning out to avoid faction hits back when I started and was duoing with a friend. Course I didn't get exp.

Petrified Wood
11-03-2019, 06:26 PM
I did not actually have something specific in mind when asking. Was just a random thought that I was curious about is all. Does not harm/solve any real issue I was having. Thanks for the reply's though. :)

DMN
11-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Nope, I am not a necromancer. I do have a druid so I guess in the scenario outlined above I was thinking about that class. I am curious what you mean by them not taking a faction hit. FD? Just pet attacking?

I havent done it in sometime on my necro, but if i recall right, you had to back pet off, make sure the mob wwas dottted up, and stay FD before it dies.

Pootle
11-04-2019, 04:32 AM
Waaay back on Live, I was camping the Halfling Mask for my rog.

I Snuck/Hid my way to a clear spot near the spawn point and camped.

Using my Druid who was factioned in Chardok and bound just outside, I would root/DoT the placeholder, gate before he died to avoid faction hit, then run back in and down to the camp spot.

Doing this i only took faction hits on the named itself.

Still took me 3 months for that damn mask.

saftbudet
11-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Waaay back on Live, I was camping the Halfling Mask for my rog.

I Snuck/Hid my way to a clear spot near the spawn point and camped.

Using my Druid who was factioned in Chardok and bound just outside, I would root/DoT the placeholder, gate before he died to avoid faction hit, then run back in and down to the camp spot.

Doing this i only took faction hits on the named itself.

Still took me 3 months for that damn mask.

how would a /q work on the ph/name when dots on and its health is like 1% or less?

Pootle
11-04-2019, 06:54 AM
I am not sure it the client still thinks you are online for a bit when you /q
So i don't know if you will miss the faction hit or not.

If you are not in zone when the mob dies, and nobody else is on the agro list, then it will not leave a corpse to loot. So do not try this with the named.

This was a long time ago on Live... I haven't done this on 1999, and to be honest I would really want to confirm if we are getting into 'exploit' territory here....

I guess its no worse that dragging trash to guards (or giants to dwarfs etc) in some zones. You are not getting anything for the PH kills, no cash, no exp.

Petrified Wood
11-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Yep, I know from experience on my monk that you can avoid faction hits with a successful FD but if you are without a FD class then I guess I have my answer :)

mycoolrausch
11-04-2019, 12:11 PM
You can /q to avoid a faction hit and have your DOT kill the mob.

[Sat Jul 13 22:46:01 2019] Oracle of K`Arnon has taken 55 damage from your Wrath of Nature.
[Sat Jul 13 22:47:09 2019] Welcome to EverQuest!
[Sat Jul 13 22:47:09 2019] You have entered Ocean of Tears.
[Sat Jul 13 22:47:19 2019] --You have looted a Robe of the Oracle.--

Petrified Wood
11-04-2019, 07:20 PM
You can /q to avoid a faction hit and have your DOT kill the mob.

[Sat Jul 13 22:46:01 2019] Oracle of K`Arnon has taken 55 damage from your Wrath of Nature.
[Sat Jul 13 22:47:09 2019] Welcome to EverQuest!
[Sat Jul 13 22:47:09 2019] You have entered Ocean of Tears.
[Sat Jul 13 22:47:19 2019] --You have looted a Robe of the Oracle.--

Hmmm. I guess it is a viable strategy, though it may go against the spirit of the game since it is possibly a exploitable situation. Next question for the thread ~ do you feel that this should be allowed if it is indeed possible to kill a mob with consequence?

DMN
11-05-2019, 02:56 AM
If it works like in the original /q with a dot going would not work. As soon as you are flagged as linkdead the server considers you an NPC. So corpse poof.

kaluppo
11-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Pretty sure when you camp or go LD all your spells wear off on any mobs.

This is actually not the case. I know for a fact that a snared or rooted mob stays snared or rooted even if the player who cast the spell camps. I know this because the population on blue is so bad right now that I have used my 60 druid to help level my 20 paladin who cant find a group to save his life.

Druid gets mob to 1% health and camps. Paladin logs in right where druid rooted and ensnared mob and gets aggro/finishes mob off. They will regen fast when druid exits game but will only make it to 20% so paladin only has to kill a mob with 20% health to get full XP. But mob is still ensnared and unable to run away.

Videri
11-05-2019, 11:01 PM
I remember zoning out to avoid faction hits back when I started and was duoing with a friend. Course I didn't get exp.

You could zone out early enough that you have time to zone back in, then receive exp with no faction hit. :)

AgentEpilot
11-05-2019, 11:31 PM
I had no clue, interesting that corpse poofs with no one in zone Ive tried this before and always wondered lol.

Pootle
11-06-2019, 05:15 AM
You could zone out early enough that you have time to zone back in, then receive exp with no faction hit. :)

This would not work. (at least i dont think so)

When you zone back in the next tick of the DoT would register against you, and add you back onto the mobs agro list.

You would get the exp, but also the faction hit.

I had no clue, interesting that corpse poofs with no one in zone Ive tried this before and always wondered lol.
Does not matter if people are int he zone or not, it's based on if there are people on the mobs agro list or not.
If nobody is on the list, then the game deals with the mob death as if an NPC killed it. Like when the guards kill a mob.... corpse poofs instantly.

Ligma
11-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Like when the guards kill a mob.... corpse poofs instantly.

Mostly true. If mob is 55+ you get exp and loot from 1 damage.

Pootle
11-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Mostly true. If mob is 55+ you get exp and loot from 1 damage.

I did not know that. So many years in this game and still learning stuff.

Ligma
11-06-2019, 03:55 PM
People used to start faction wars with NPCs and do 1 damage for the exp and loot.

This was possible in a lot of zones but came to it's climax in plane of tactics. A lot of people might remember it being done to priest of discord.

Devs here decided faction wars wasn't something they wanted to recreate.

Lulz Sect
11-06-2019, 07:43 PM
balls

silo32
11-06-2019, 10:18 PM
People used to start faction wars with NPCs and do 1 damage for the exp and loot.

This was possible in a lot of zones but came to it's climax in plane of tactics. A lot of people might remember it being done to priest of discord.

Devs here decided faction wars wasn't something they wanted to recreate.

not classic

Ligma
11-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Tbh I don't know when the 55+ part was added but faction wars were definitely classic.

Aalderon Crystafire
11-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Hello there,

I didn't see you mention your class but as a Bard I have very successfully killed mobs without faction hits using Charm. Usually it was when I wanted to clear out a shopkeeper's inventory. If a mob dies while it is your pet, either from your own DOTS (which don't drop when it is charmed) or from another mob it will poof and you will get no faction hits.

Cheers.

Stormcrow505
11-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Necro in Kurns lastnight, I was killing furbies without get faction hits using Dots, FD, and then letting the pet tank them. Even with the pet attacking I didn't get faction hits. Not sure why Burynai faction is such a fuss, but I was trying it out anyway.

stebbins99
11-14-2019, 06:02 PM
That's how you do it Stormcrow! Due to the mechanics with FD and EXP, I wonder if your pet is stealing 50% of the exp should he outdamage your DoTs (post-flop)

Stormcrow505
11-14-2019, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the pet still takes 50% if it out damages the dots.