PDA

View Full Version : Are there enough people on blue? Just curious

cantabile1972
11-16-2019, 03:48 PM
I want to return to EQ after last playing as a teenager, but with the experience of original to Velious. I tried the Teal, but I would really like to be able to go to Velious and such instead of waiting a year or more.

The question is, are there enough players on the Blue server to even group with, do things with, or is the population too low? Is it mostly box players?

I remember Velious and Kunark being so much more fun with a mid range bard than I do with no expansion. But if the population on blue is too low than I may just suffer through the long wait for expansions!

Any reply wold be helpful.

Tilien
11-17-2019, 03:38 PM
"too low" depends on what you want to do. I've been able to find consistent groups in Unrest, HHK goblins, City of Mist, and Karnor Castle. That being said, they might not be ideal sizes or compositions. You will likely need to solo some of the time. Going to EC during peak hours or weekends will likely allow you to get cheap mid range gear and buffs from the remaining players there.

That being said: If you want a 6 man group every night in any zone you want it ain't happening on blue.

Danth
11-17-2019, 03:50 PM
The question is, are there enough players on the Blue server to even group with, do things with, or is the population too low? Is it mostly box players?

Multi-boxing is against the rules on all P1999 servers and players who do it are aggressively banned. If you weren't aware of it, you are now. Don't do it if you want to stick around here. The players you see in-game are individual players. Even with "Blue" population taking a hit due to the new servers, it still has a pretty good population.

Danth

Tilien
11-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Multi-boxing is against the rules on all P1999 servers and players who do it are aggressively banned.

I assumed he meant people who sit afk in tunnel or camps while playing a second toon on Green or Teal (which is allowed), but could be wrong.

For what it's worth I've done /who count a few times and it seems to be about 1/3 to 1/2 of the population is still "leveling" with toons between level 10 and 50, with the assumption that most under 10 are mules and over 50 are raiders.

cantabile1972
11-17-2019, 05:45 PM
Glad boxing is frowned on!

Anyway thanks again for the info...

kjs86z
11-17-2019, 09:34 PM
plenty of people on blue willing to help new folks too

Sporkotron
11-17-2019, 11:42 PM
Nah, not really.

Fammaden
11-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Not like it was, you missed out. I'm playing on the new servers but blue really was a great experience despite the reputation for mudflation and "toxicity".

You can do it though, you just have to be able to stomach a solo friendly/naked friendly class. Maybe you still find groups but if you slog it out on a necro or druid or shaman or some shit you can probably get into a raid guild eventually, unless the population tanks even harder.

dashsam13
11-18-2019, 12:23 AM
I'd go teal/green if i were you. I'm playing on Blue as a necro atm and its pretty lonely out there.

Rolling teal/green may not be as big of an issue as you think, depending on how much you play.

Crede
11-18-2019, 01:12 AM
Blue is no doubt slower right now, but I don't mind it. It's nice not having to compete for camps. You're not going to be getting groups left & right, but plenty of groups can still be formed leading to smaller & more interesting compositions which I find more fun anyway. Never understood the appeal of always wanting full groups, which typically the xp is awful and nobody is really playing their class to its potential. Raid scene is still pretty active on Blue as well, so join a guild and make some more friends if you have the time.

As others have said, I'd say just pick a class that can do both solo/groups for flexibility. You could always just play green/teal when you want to be more social, and play blue when you want to explore more of Norrath. Playing a char on 2 different servers at the same time is allowed, so there's that too.

kotton05
11-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Nope roll on teal/green

Swish
11-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Once the legacy items are gone on green/teal, you should start to see some kind of drift back towards blue...particularly as twinks begin to become more geared on the new servers.

Once there's parity for twinks on both servers, the old guard might choose to return to their roots.

Right now green/teal are good, but how do you feel about the people you're playing with? Do you have stronger ties to a new crop of people you've met or the ones you left behind? Let that decide for you.

Bazia
11-18-2019, 06:17 PM
tbqh playing teal is kinda just making me want to skip to velious and play blue

Malikail
11-18-2019, 09:56 PM
Nope roll on teal/green

I strongly advise against that. Massively overpopulated not enough content and the game isn't that much fun at this stage anyway. They wrecked blue to release basically garbage, call me when kunark's out maybe it'll be worth doing

Malikail
11-18-2019, 09:56 PM
tbqh playing teal is kinda just making me want to skip to velious and play blue

Me too and it was so much fun when it still had a viable population

Crede
11-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Green/teal is a total shitshow. the staff’s greatest creation was and will always be blue.

El-Hefe
11-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Green/teal is a total shitshow. the staff’s greatest creation was and will always be blue.

Teal has been awesome so far. Where are you getting you info from?

aaezil
11-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Blue is dead

Lhord99
11-19-2019, 09:45 PM
here we go again

Troxx
11-20-2019, 12:02 AM
Blue is honestly better now for everything except finding random pugs in out of the way locations or play times when most adults are productively at work.

I’ve had no problems finding pickup groups in the high traffic areas. Cash camps are more available and the raid scene isn’t nearly as much of a crowded clusterF. Blue pop will rebound when green/teal population matures and there are 700-1000 mid 40s to lv50s all fighting over not enough spawns in lguk and solb. Pop will shift/spike back to green/teal when kunark launches. Rinse and repeat with velious until it’s all absorbed back into blue.

wagorf
11-20-2019, 05:14 AM
The pros outweigh the cons. Random pugs and daps are hard to locate, but everything else is just better. Less toxic players, less fight over camps, and I bet the raiders love it that they no longer get screwed over from competitions.

But none of this matter to the nerds who can't showcase their gears on blue because stuff is more common.

scifo76
11-20-2019, 07:36 AM
I've had zero problems doing stuff on Blue since Green launched, including having fun and making good cash.

jbel123
11-20-2019, 08:08 AM
i thought it 's supposed to be very slow, but the other night KC was so full my duo partner and i had to leave because we didn't have enough mobs to keep us busy.

we're trying different zones to have some space to ourselves.

kjs86z
11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
i thought it 's supposed to be very slow, but the other night KC was so full my duo partner and i had to leave because we didn't have enough mobs to keep us busy.

we're trying different zones to have some space to ourselves.

What levels / classes? KC is notorious as being the busiest 50+ zone. It was literal ass cancer when Blue was busy.

jbel123
11-20-2019, 01:44 PM
What levels / classes? KC is notorious as being the busiest 50+ zone. It was literal ass cancer when Blue was busy.

Level 53 enchanter and 50 cleric duo.

I know KC is terrible. But we had just 90 minutes to exp, so didn't want to go to an unfamiliar zone. KC is familiar, and we thought it would be quiet with the low pop.
We were wrong. We were clearing LCY easily and then finding it hard to find other mobs. There was a group in RCY, captain and hands.

We ended up going to the hole the next day and dying twice before figuring stuff out

Crede
11-20-2019, 01:51 PM

I know KC is terrible. But we had just 90 minutes to exp, so didn't want to go to an unfamiliar zone. KC is familiar, and we thought it would be quiet with the low pop.
We were wrong. We were clearing LCY easily and then finding it hard to find other mobs. There was a group in RCY, captain and hands.

We ended up going to the hole the next day and dying twice before figuring stuff out

You could be shredding 2nd/3rd floor CoM with this combo, or somewhere like Burning woods hang out by the bees/undead ruins with a greater war boned skeleton and let it do work, they innately dual wield too which makes them great pets.

jbel123
11-20-2019, 03:06 PM
We did a lot of COM 2nd and 3rd floor from level 50-53. got kinda bored of that place. never done any exping in BW. i'll check it out.

probably going to do seb/HS once I get off my lazy ass and get those keys

kjs86z
11-20-2019, 03:35 PM

Go get your Charasis keys. Stock up on torches. Bind at the cliff in OT (you should see some corpses there). Learn the entrance break in, then cut your teeth in basement and quickly move to North.

The XP is going to fly by and you'll (almost) never have to worry about competition. You'll have a solid sense of progression. Corpse your key(s) at your bind point for quick access to North (and eventually West + South). When you're very comfortable with the zone you can start busting out toys like Ghoulbane or Staff of Undead Legion and really start wrecking everything in sight.

(ps I'd be happy to show you around on any one of my chars if you'd like a little rope-learning....wiping in HS can be sucky if you're new and don't have backup...having a set of basic CHA gear for CRs banked is not a terrible idea)

Goodest
11-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Go get your Charasis keys. Stock up on torches. Bind at the cliff in OT (you should see some corpses there). Learn the entrance break in, then cut your teeth in basement and quickly move to North.

The XP is going to fly by and you'll (almost) never have to worry about competition. You'll have a solid sense of progression. Corpse your key(s) at your bind point for quick access to North (and eventually West + South). When you're very comfortable with the zone you can start busting out toys like Ghoulbane or Staff of Undead Legion and really start wrecking everything in sight.

(ps I'd be happy to show you around on any one of my chars if you'd like a little rope-learning....wiping in HS can be sucky if you're new and don't have backup...having a set of basic CHA gear for CRs banked is not a terrible idea)

Ol' toxi here will fall asleep at random points just keep her alive.

jbel123
11-20-2019, 04:11 PM

everyone has been pushing me to HS. tbh - the CRs are what's putting me off. the idea of having to go back in to retrieve corpses without keys is... ugh.

i'll def take you up on a guided tour.

the cha gear in bank is for lulling past mobs for CR?

kjs86z
11-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Ol' toxi here will fall asleep at random points just keep her alive.

this