PDA

View Full Version : Flopping against several casting mobs...

ineubis
02-14-2020, 05:09 PM
So I was camping Soothsayer Dregzak in Droga last week when the earthquake happened. My first time being in a populated area during an EQ, and didn't know what to expect. The text did say "get somewhere safe" so I didn't know if it was going to be a server shutdown or what.... my Gina timer expires, and nothing is spawning. I'm about to go invis, dropping pet and leave the camp because I don't want something bad to happen. Suddenly his PH spawns, I send pet in, then another spawn and another.

Suddenly pet is dead and I have 5 goblins on me, I run out the room agro'ing like 3 more on the way out and flop. Doesn't work because casters. I stand up and flop again, they keep attacking. Couldn't ever get a clean/successful FD out of like 15 attempts... Finally ran out of mana.

Long story short, I died and needed to get a rez at the bottom of Droga.

Question, how do you flop against multiple casters? Is there a way?

It was taking the gang of ~lvl 35 gobs quite a while to take me down, I /q'd hoping to be disconnected before they finished me, but no luck. Looking back almost a week later, I would have been smarter to just switch to OT hammer and hope for a proc....

/shrug

elwing
02-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Your best bet, indoor is to try to los the cast...

stebbins99
02-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Interesting situation-- sorry you died! One thing that might have helped is using your Harmshield and/or Quivering Veil (I usually have HS on my spell bar, but I'm admittedly pretty cautious). This would at least let the casters dump some/much of their mana whilst you're invulnerable.

Otherwise, depending on location and your movement speed, getting around a corner will force the casters to have to move/"chase" you (line of sight), creating a small gap wherein you might be able to get a FD cast off.

As for the OT hammer, funny enough, I've seen someone escape death down in HS with like 4% health with an OT hammer proc

ineubis
02-14-2020, 05:41 PM
depending on location and your movement speed,
I had been there a while, so normal movement (no SoW or JBoots indoors) and encumbered (the perfect storm). Yes, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to lose LoS, but it only agro'd more goblins.

SK don't get Harmshield in P99 :( Get Diamondskin for a peridot per cast. But I don't keep it loaded.

DMN
02-14-2020, 05:53 PM
You should have rooted them, and then moved behind a wall to FD

Ennewi
02-14-2020, 07:09 PM
As a Shadow Knight (assuming with no clickies like root nets or stun idols), maybe check to see that the neighboring respawns aren't casters, then run the small train to the corner farthest from and fear each of the aggroed casters, snaring beforehand if mana/hp allows, then feign death ASAP. Depending on your level advantage, it shouldn't matter if they get feared into other mobs; as long as those aren't casters too you'll have a better chance of getting a clean FD off.

Of course, this would mean having (invoke) fear already loaded or blood ember boots on your person, which does seem like a waste of a slot/bagspace, especially in most dungeon zones. But in emergencies, other than bash, fear is the one reliable way for SKs to interrupt casters.

ajohnymous
02-14-2020, 07:52 PM
It's really tricky. You have to FD when none of them are casting. Rooting and LoSing takes a couple out of the equation, otherwise it's just luck and timing.

Nibblewitz
02-14-2020, 10:13 PM
Just a bit of nuance:

You can flop while a mob is casting dispel since it is not a detrimental spell.

Sacer
02-15-2020, 09:05 AM
I believe npc need 2 condition to start casting, otherwise they will be running :

- be in range
- have line of sight

They do not need any condition to land the spell however.

So ideally you want to strafe run far enough so none of them are still casting, then flop.

Danth
02-15-2020, 03:03 PM
In that specific situation you're in trouble. Too many to fear any off, and indoor so you probably can't outrun them either. Best hope is to try to LOS some of them but that's very spotty. If you can find some geometry to run over (like a ledge) where the mobs will not follow directly then you're in business. If you had not run, you might've been able to kill 1-2 of the original 5 so you might've been able to feign out.

Danth

Scratch&Sniff
02-15-2020, 06:37 PM
just wanted to say reposte disc and OT hammer is good times

eqravenprince
02-19-2020, 05:24 PM
If a dot landed on you, then FD will not work.

Izmael
02-20-2020, 05:04 AM
If a dot landed on you, then FD will not work.

What? I FD my uber Green monk in Unrest all the time with Rabies on.

Veleria
02-20-2020, 12:22 PM
You can fear a caster to lower the number of casters on you. Of course, you will get trained but this might give you a window to feign.

ineubis
02-21-2020, 11:55 AM
thanks for the responses guys. Next time I will bust out the OT hammer. Can't believe I didn't think of it until 5 days post mortem. I also popped for a pre-nerf CoS since, although that won't drop agro. It would have avoided the agro at all with the click of a button.

isoka
02-21-2020, 12:23 PM
Get yourself some :
https://wiki.project1999.com/Leatherfoot_Raider_Skullcap

Really not hard to quest or quite cheap to buy in EC.
Get a fresh one on a mule and recharge when you use your "oh shit instant gate" for less than 200pp (100pp each)

stebbins99
02-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Congrats on your (pre-nerf) CoS! As an SK, it can really offer some QoL benefits when acting as a puller / splitter (two things SKs are already great at).

Of course, you'll have to get off a successful flop first in order for it to work. But, when you do, you can stand-up (post-flop) and immediately invis without re-catching agro. Only drawback is that that you can't have a pet out, less of a factor for SKs compared to NEC.

I've actually pulled a fair amount on my squishy necro using one, so I can only imagine how nice it'd be on an SK

eqravenprince
02-25-2020, 05:45 PM
What? I FD my uber Green monk in Unrest all the time with Rabies on.

Maybe this has changed since I last played my monk, but once I was dotted there was no such thing as being able to successfully FD. Once the DOT wore off, I immediately could FD successfully. Maybe it works with rabies since it only does 1 damage and you repair 1 damage every tick, so your health doesn't move.

Stryker85
02-26-2020, 05:33 PM
Maybe this has changed since I last played my monk, but once I was dotted there was no such thing as being able to successfully FD. Once the DOT wore off, I immediately could FD successfully. Maybe it works with rabies since it only does 1 damage and you repair 1 damage every tick, so your health doesn't move.

I've played FD classes for over a decade on live, and several years on p99, and I can assure you that this has never been the case (except maybe in very early classic era which I'm not sure about).

It most certainly isn't the case now currently on p99 or live for that matter. You can definitely FD while dotted, and you always have been able to, to my knowledge. Now if the DoT lands on you've AFTER you FD'd, then yes just having any spell hit you in general (except dispell effects) will break your feign.

eqravenprince
02-26-2020, 05:57 PM
I've played FD classes for over a decade on live, and several years on p99, and I can assure you that this has never been the case (except maybe in very early classic era which I'm not sure about).

It most certainly isn't the case now currently on p99 or live for that matter. You can definitely FD while dotted, and you always have been able to, to my knowledge. Now if the DoT lands on you've AFTER you FD'd, then yes just having any spell hit you in general (except dispell effects) will break your feign.

Ok, next question, if you FD and the mob wanders off while you are still dotted and you get up, will the mob reaggro?

fastboy21
02-26-2020, 07:31 PM
Thats a pretty tight spot, lots of casters...you can easily die in that scenario even at 60 if you aren't paying attention and/or lucky.

Given the area you are in I would probably have run outside the hut and trained up the ramp and run around until I could LoS them. If that failed I would have prob gated.

My typical strat is to root/scoot or screaming terror...but so many low lvl casters at once makes that kinda hard in your situation.