PDA

View Full Version : unlocking good changes to the game.

Tsuken
02-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I understand we want the classic feel of Everquest back, which is awesome. However, some changes were good changes which shouldn't be removed.

List here the things you would like to be added to the server even though they were not in classic.

I'll start:
Soulbinders - I'm a druid, so I can bind myself, so this is not for me, but they're very handy. And nobody is making money with binding people I think. Often there is nobody around to bind with this relatively low population.

Shared Bank - Removes the need to drop stuff on the ground to transfer or to have another person transfer it for you (in the hope he won't run off with it)

/melody - I haven't seen a bard yet that twists 3-4 songs at the same time. I hear a bug is preventing it? Maybe /melody will help with the issue. And I used to play a bard in live. it's not that fun to be expected to twist 3-4 songs in every group. Twisting requires a lot of button tapping. And I mean A LOT and constantly.

karsten
02-26-2010, 09:54 PM
soul binders are something i could either go for or without, np either way there

shared bank not working is, to my understanding, an emu-wide problem and extremely difficult to fix

melody being implemented is something i've supported for YEARS on every emu i've played on. I leveled a bard to 60 on vztz, got him his epic, and then never logged him on again because twisting is so annoying. there's a reason that even on 2000+ player servers on live there were still only a handful of raiding bards.

Implementing melody is a great idea for this server and will revolutionize the make-up of the server population by class

Malrubius
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Sorry, but this should be moved to Rants and Flames.

xblade724
02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Pff, keep soulbinders. I love people paying me money for binding them ;D Shared bank would be nice because you don't have to be uber risky about losing goods or getting scammed.. but melody is just cheap and takes away from the classic gameplay.

Jify
02-27-2010, 03:16 AM
/melody[/B] - I haven't seen a bard yet that twists 3-4 songs at the same time. I hear a bug is preventing it? Maybe /melody will help with the issue. And I used to play a bard in live. it's not that fun to be expected to twist 3-4 songs in every group. Twisting requires a lot of button tapping. And I mean A LOT and constantly.

You should check out IB! Our bards do it on a regular basis. ;)

As a bard, I say BOOOO melody. It separates the good from the bard!

Humerox
02-27-2010, 04:51 AM
1. No. Relatively low population? We're regularly hitting 500+ and it seems half of them are druids. I haven't had many problems getting a bind for my alts.

2. No. I like the rush of knowing my bag of twink gear may be gone cuz some stealthy rogue snuck into my little safe spot with me. That's classic.

3. No. Real men twist. Else there's 50 bajillion half-assed bards running around. (I never could twist, dammit. Hurts my old, arthritic fingers.) And it DOES separate the good bards from the wannabes.

Senicus
02-27-2010, 05:47 AM
I agree for the binding, if not only to encourage new players with the lower population.

Honus
02-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Please, please please no soullbinders. I hated them when they put them on live and I hate them to this day, even with a melee toon.

ssyrax82
02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
There's no need for soulbinders, there are casters in MOST major cities at any given time.

As far as the shared bank, find a guildmate to help you, or do it the way we all used to do it, sometimes, it sucks when your shit is gone, but what can you do.

No comment on Melody as I know nothing about it.

Honus
02-27-2010, 07:40 AM
2. No. I like the rush of knowing my bag of twink gear may be gone cuz some stealthy rogue snuck into my little safe spot with me. That's classic.

I agree, it's kind of like cliff diving without the cliff... which I guess would just be diving which isn't as big of a deal, but you know what I mean.

Ghesta
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I'd disagree with the OP.

Soulbinders would be good if the server pop was around 100 and it was hard to find someone to bind you, but as it is you can't run through freeport without smacking into 30 or 40 level 14+ casters during peak hours.

/melody would lead to more bards, but would it lead to better bards? It didn't exist for like 6 or 7 years in EQ and bards got along just fine

Saltinecracker
02-27-2010, 04:06 PM
/melody would lead to more bards, but would it lead to better bards? It didn't exist for like 6 or 7 years in EQ and bards got along just fine

Yeah bards got along good, but in classic they wasn't gimped on their AoE range. Since, something has been takin away it would be nice to at least make up for that huge loss.

Vlarius
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
/melody = most horrid thing to ever be done w/ the bard class. The class is so over powered it's rediculous. Having them as "special gems" should be just that. Why taint something so special w/ auto play. /melody is 1 step shy of not even playing the class.

Taluvill
02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Booo on Melody.

Mythoxxus does his deal just fine. Bards arent that bugged if you can level them up, because once they stop failing songs and "fizzling" they become much easier to play, so i've heard.

Zordana
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
1. No. Relatively low population? We're regularly hitting 500+ and it seems half of them are druids. I haven't had many problems getting a bind for my alts.

3. No. Real men twist. Else there's 50 bajillion half-assed bards running around. (I never could twist, dammit. Hurts my old, arthritic fingers.) And it DOES separate the good bards from the wannabes.

full ack!

Danth
02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
The funny thing about EQ bards and their combat system:

It probably requires less button spamming than regular combat in most any newer MMOG.

(actually, the annoying spamminess of newer games is partly why I'm here)

Danth

Ghesta
02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
It probably requires less button spamming than regular combat in most any newer MMOG.

QFT

Wigglepoo
02-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi!

I'm Wigglepoo. I'm new! I'm a gnome! :)

I was in Kelethin today tryin' to get a bind and no one could hewp me. I was so sad!

I did a /who and there were 'bout 20 or so folks in zone and all but one was exceptionally small (level-small, not like gnome-small) and the one other person was anonymous.

I sat there for what seemed like MONTHS and finally went and played my li'l mage Wiggleypoo who was bound earlier by a very nice enchanter lady person. Wiggleypoo is also a gnome! :)

Thank you for reading my message to you. Soulbinders please, though if I don't get 'em I won't cry 'cause cryin' isn't going to solve anything n'stuff.

Atern
02-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Actually, the way i would transfer items between chars on EQ Mac (which goes up to PoP btw) was to put them in something like a forge or brew barrel while i logged in another char. Should make it so items you put in there stay when you close the container.

r0gue6
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Here's all I want.

1. Raid window
2. Guild window

Trimm
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I stopped playing on live shortly after LDoN... what is /melody? It sounds like an auto-cast for bard songs, but what specifically does it do?

Morfnblorsh
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, it's basically an auto-cast for bards.

You have something similar to spell slots in which you place songs in the order you want them played. It then goes through this "playlist" in an endless loop automatically.

Trimm
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM
So every bard because the best bard on the server by default. I say boo.

guineapig
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
You know what, I can twist 3 songs easily and can do a 4th under optimal circumstances (ie: not being hit by a mob, not missing a note, etc) but that being said when I'm in a group I don't get to communicate AT ALL outside of using hotkeys. For being a bard I really don't get to say much, much less try to entertain my group.

On the other hand I do agree that it would seem like easy mode to use /melody and it would make my bard skills more of a novelty than a requirement.

As far as soulbinders go, I'm indifferent as I have been lucky enough to get binds when I need them (only play during peak hours). That being said, I feel for the Barbarian Warrior who spent an hour traveling from Halas to Crushbone only to get killed by a train at zone and not having a chance to bind near the 4 cities he passed by en route.

guineapig
03-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi!

I'm Wigglepoo. I'm new! I'm a gnome! :)

I was in Kelethin today tryin' to get a bind and no one could hewp me. I was so sad!

I did a /who and there were 'bout 20 or so folks in zone and all but one was exceptionally small (level-small, not like gnome-small) and the one other person was anonymous.

I sat there for what seemed like MONTHS and finally went and played my li'l mage Wiggleypoo who was bound earlier by a very nice enchanter lady person. Wiggleypoo is also a gnome! :)

Thank you for reading my message to you. Soulbinders please, though if I don't get 'em I won't cry 'cause cryin' isn't going to solve anything n'stuff.

Hey wiggleypoo! I remember you. Let me know if your other character still need a bind.

guineapig
03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
As far as I know the raid window is in the game. We used it once then stopped because people were claiming that it was buggy. Personally I didn't see anything wrong with it. Also, I don't know if it's frowned upon by the admins since it isn't classic. I can live without it.

Guild window on the other hand I SORELY MISS. I have absolutely no clue as to what our guild looks like right now. I don't know who's a main, who's an alt, what classes we are short on, I can never tell who's online since doing /who all guild always comes up short. I fail to see what the harm would be in adding the guild window, unless it's an Emu issue???

Survival
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
soulbinders was just another way to keep the community from forming closer bonds, i said it before and ill say it again the fact that this game was made so that the players really needed each other was what really made it a sociable and addicting game, friends were bound to be made, via rezzes, ports, soul binds, etc

celicara29
03-02-2010, 02:09 AM

(actually, the annoying spamminess of newer games is partly why I'm here)

Danth

Yep, nearly every class in EQ2 requires some heavy duty button mashing. Playing a brig/swash would give you some serious finger dexterity with as much as you'd be hitting the number keys, then alt or ctrl + number keys, all in a matter of seconds.

Even in tough fights, spellcasting is pretty laid back in EQ.

xahtiZtoN
03-02-2010, 05:02 AM
/melody is not a gamebreaking command. It's also not classic. I don't even know if it can be implemented on emu... nevertheless, melody does not make the bard. the bard makes the melody. Just because ANY ole player can make a bard and make a hotkey that twists songs, doesn't make them good. A good bard always will be able to CC/charm/etc when the situation calls for it, and be able to twist beneficial songs between.

Bottom line, the melody command allows bards to be a little more relaxed and enjoy the game like other players who just nuke or heal ->afk etc. It will still be incredibly easy to tell the "bad" bards from the "good" ones. See: EQLIVE

Blither
01-16-2012, 05:09 PM
/agree with guineapig.
Raid window is nice, but not a gamebreaker if it never gets implemeted. The guild window, on the other hand, is sorely needed. I'm a guild leader and I really need a good guild window to know what our current state of affairs is - right now if someone leaves the guild I have no good way of knowing it.
On our website there's a guild roster, which every member is supposed to keep updated himself. Do they all do it? Of course not. For some it's even a sore point, causing friction because we require them to do something that they'd rather not bother to do.