PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Dragon Necropolis Soloing Advice

loramin
04-14-2020, 05:32 PM
I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to Dragon Necropolis. I understand it's not a very friendly zone, with miserable corpse runs, so that's sort of kept me away ...

... but I also really want a http://wiki.project1999.com/Spirit_Talker%27s_Headdress (it seems to be the best possible Shaman helm with a polar bear head graphic :D).

So, I'm looking for any and all advice anyone can offer on soloing Dragon Necropolis. I'm especially interested in Shaman-specific info, and on how to get to and kill the Paebala (particularly the Spirit Talker) ... but I'll take anything I can get from those that know the zone well.

zati
04-14-2020, 05:46 PM
That area is really tough! Idk if it's possible to "solo" it all completely but iirc getting there involves riskin triggering a Fear/Dragon Construct/Swarming Beetle trap .. all of which are deadly unless you have FD available. Assuming you make it there the Paebala on that side of DN love to path together (hard to pull solo). To top it all off I think they can gate...

Before the NPC-push-interrupt...we had a trio of SK/Sham/War clearing it pretty steadily for 3-5 hrs at a time. Saw about 3 of the shaman only lances and 0 helms :(

loramin
04-14-2020, 05:53 PM
Wow, this sounds like quite a challenge! I do have the FD ring, but it's out of charges ATM: sounds like I might need to make a trip to Sky ... and might even need to recruit some help.

But if it's at all soloable, I want to try: gear upgrades are so few and far between for me at this point that I honestly don't mind spending a month or more on a single upgrade, and new challenges seem like fun instead of a burden.

loramin
04-14-2020, 06:03 PM
For future reference, just learned one important thing from people in-zone: stay away from the bones (they trigger dragon-summoning traps).

Izmael
04-14-2020, 06:12 PM
I don't think the risk/reward ratio warrants going there solo, particularly if you're new to the zone. I'd find a monkie duo partner and work from there.

Evia
04-14-2020, 06:14 PM
looks like a fun adventure! Lmk if you need a rogue to come help out.

loramin
04-14-2020, 07:52 PM
I don't think the risk/reward ratio warrants going there solo, particularly if you're new to the zone. I'd find a monkie duo partner and work from there.

Partly I'm doing this because I have plenty of time to play this game, so I don't mind spending a month learning to do something hard ... and in fact that actually sounds like fun.

But if it just isn't possible to do, I may well have to get help ...

looks like a fun adventure! Lmk if you need a rogue to come help out.

If that winds up being the case, Evia I may well take you up on that offer :)

One more question for people: is there any specific good loot in that "Paebala" area (or really anywhere in DN) that monks ... or any other class for that matter ... would want?

Khaall Drogo
04-14-2020, 11:40 PM
The Paebala Warbone, Rez Goo's, and Spirit Talker's 2 drops are the only thing those brand of rats drop :)

Doujou
04-15-2020, 04:06 AM
I wouldn't recommend solo'ing this area at all.

These rats are no joke, they are almost all sow'd, the shaman (the ones you want) are the worst, mainly because they gate. You can't fight them on their spawns typically because their area is so packed with them (statics + plenty of roamers). Before the push/interrupt nerf, you could monk/sham duo in that goo room but I'm sure that's not even possible anymore w/o sieves.

Solist
04-15-2020, 05:00 AM
The bear hat is self only graphic btw. It doesn't show to other people.

branamil
04-15-2020, 07:12 AM
Yeah there's no amount of study or preparation that would make this possible. The rats are mostly low 50s and summon and hit hard as fuck. Even if you find a spot where you can pull them solo, you're just one slow resists away from a nasty corpse run

loramin
04-15-2020, 11:17 AM
Yeah there's no amount of study or preparation that would make this possible. The rats are mostly low 50s and summon and hit hard as fuck. Even if you find a spot where you can pull them solo, you're just one slow resists away from a nasty corpse run

I wouldn't recommend solo'ing this area at all.

These rats are no joke, they are almost all sow'd, the shaman (the ones you want) are the worst, mainly because they gate. You can't fight them on their spawns typically because their area is so packed with them (statics + plenty of roamers). Before the push/interrupt nerf, you could monk/sham duo in that goo room but I'm sure that's not even possible anymore w/o sieves.

Well, Torpor Shaman can fight hard mobs that summon/gate by just running them out of mana, if they can do them solo: it's not easy, but it can be done (and again, I was looking for something hard). However, it's sounding like I won't be able to even get one solo, and if that's the case I'm going to have to get a group going.

But what truly disturbed was:

WHAT?!? :eek:

kotton05
04-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Solo’d it alot on diff servers here you would need a faction monk with bio orb to pull them safely.

First step is getting to the goo room near their area. Seriously doubt you could down one alone or even pull it effectively.

Danth
04-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Depending on where people park their dragon construct trains you might not even be able to get down to the paebala area at all without playing some construct-management games. This is not necessarily a negative since the top floor is quite often overrun with dipwit solo'ing Bards and I never oppose screwing with them. Be careful if you see "a" dragon construct blocking your way: they quite often heap up on each other and what looks like one quite often turns out to be 4 or 5 of them. they do not see invisible-to-undead but the spiders and other fauna do so it's usually hard to sneak by.

I recommend taking a feign puller, someone who can rez, and good crowd control who can double as a mana-drainer. Trying to do that area as a duo with the wife (me being a Shadow Knight, her a Shaman) we couldn't kill anything quick enough to be worth it and gaters are problematical because most of them are high enough level we can't even stun or fear them to interrupt.

Danth

ChooChoo Train
04-15-2020, 02:16 PM
There is a spot where the two factions of rats intersect and often battle. You could sit there invis/FD and attempt to grab a low hp one.

loramin
04-15-2020, 02:36 PM
There is a spot where the two factions of rats intersect and often battle. You could sit there invis/FD and attempt to grab a low hp one.

This is interesting, but it sounds like I'm facing three core issues that might make this not just "a big challenge", but flat out impossible to solo:

Getting there: I'm willing to be patient and keep trying until I find a time with no trap dragons in the way, but even so it sounds like 2 charges of FD might not be enough to get there
Gating mobs: to be clear, a Torpor Shaman can solo gating mobs, by just fighting at the spawn point and running them out of mana ... except ...
Clustering: it sounds like it's also not possible to fight a single mob on its spawn point, because they're too close together

I'm still curious to learn the zone more and see if there might be some unconventional ways to solve the above issues, but it's sounding like I'm going to have to turn this "fun solo challenge" into a "fun grouping challenge."

Jimjam
04-15-2020, 02:38 PM

Bug if true.

daemionx
04-15-2020, 05:20 PM
What I do to get around DN by myself as a shaman with FD ring is take my monk down first - trigger any traps, use eye of zomm to train off random constructs people left places, etc. Make sure to use lots of buffs before putting SoW up and carry IVU pots on this character so they don't get stuck somewhere bad. Have to FD and /q out of line of sight of mobs frequently to be able to cleanly train them off sometimes.

After I've cleared the way with my monk, I switch to my shaman and take him safely down (to do things like loot the Garzicor ground spawn).

But as has already been mentioned, none of this is worth the effort and even if you got to a place where you could fight a mob you want, it is likely not a safe spot to do so. Either it will gate and summon you or if you actually found its spawn spot and fought it there, you'd get tons of adds (too many to handle).