PDA

View Full Version : Bard Charm Kiting

fufanux
05-04-2011, 06:25 AM
How well does this work in comparison to how live was?

Duma
05-04-2011, 06:44 AM
If you are referring to picking up a lot of mobs and charming them one at a time so they get beat down by the others then not at all. Mobs don't snap aggro on everything around them when they get charmed like on live.

Galenbor
05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Charm kiting works, though you have to put in more effort here due to aggro not working like it did on live.

Classic example: When Bards hit 27, Froon and Choon in West Karanas was a "rite of passage" sort of deal, two identical mobs standing close to each other, who would start fighting the second charm landed. Here, you have to sic your charmed mob onto the other to start them fighting, and once charm wears off the charmed mob will be ignored even when beat on, plus the higher run speed means it can't keep up with the other one.

Ways to work around this, though a good deal more fiddly:

1) Consonant Chain; you need to snare to keep the target slow enough for pet to hit it, you can also enable charmed mob's taunt skill by pressing the button in the pet window (this setting persists between charms, only needs activating once). Mind you, taunt has varying degrees of success, i.e. don't count on it working.

2) Set up the option to swap between last 2 targets in the "Keys" tab so you can easily change targets and alternate snare/charm/dot (single target Chant dots, you want to stay out of range). I use Tab as that key since I'm moving with WADS, old habits die hard.

3) Remember to cause 1+ point of damage to mobs, so charmed pets don't eat 75% of the exp. Thank the AFK pet classes for this one.

Galenbor

Duma
05-04-2011, 09:05 AM
You can get away with not snaring a mob while charm kiting by running tight circles. Your pet will hit them without them being snared especially if it's has a larger than normal hit box like a giant.

Pescador
05-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Just alternate charming between two mobs and you don't have to snare because they'll beat on each other. You can add dots, too, and you'll get a feel for how fast you can start dotting before you steal aggro. Much, much more efficient than snaring one and having a charmed pet hit it, because now both mobs are damaging each other.