PDA

View Full Version : new player intro

Bohab
05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Just saying hello! I should be in game tonight. I've read many posts in this forum over the last few days, you all seem very helpful and the community seems pretty decent thus far. I look forward to playing a vanilla EQ again!

EQ was my first MMORPG... I recall going over my friends house and taking turns playing his beta account. I got the game the day it was in stores and basically left real life behind me for a few years haha... I quit around 2001 to play DAoC where I became even more addicted to gaming...

Anyhow! I read a lot about new players taking the Gfay route. I'm more interested in playing an evil race. Back in those days my main was a SK (SK main in eq2 now)... I'd like to give that a shot again. I'm stuck between Troll and DE right now but I feel I'm going to struggle even more starting in those newbie zones... Am I digging my own grave right off the bat by wanting to play there? Troll is probably my number pick for my SK but the xp penalty atop of the hybrid penalty sounds horrific. Any insight on this?

My next thought was to build a Bard (my alt in old days). I have been reading some old posts (2010) regarding issues with song twisting in low levels. Is this still a problem?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Dr4z3r
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
First, welcome back!

Second, I hate to break it to you this way, but this isn't technically vanilla anymore, now that Kunark has been released.

And third, play what you enjoy playing!

Trolls and DE's don't have too tough a time running over to EC and begging buffs in the tunnel, and you can rush through levels (3-11 or so) pretty darn quick that way!

Bards function 99% the same as live (charm-kiting is the only real excpetion), so they're fine too!

jval2529
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Just saying hello! I should be in game tonight. I've read many posts in this forum over the last few days, you all seem very helpful and the community seems pretty decent thus far. I look forward to playing a vanilla EQ again!

EQ was my first MMORPG... I recall going over my friends house and taking turns playing his beta account. I got the game the day it was in stores and basically left real life behind me for a few years haha... I quit around 2001 to play DAoC where I became even more addicted to gaming...

Anyhow! I read a lot about new players taking the Gfay route. I'm more interested in playing an evil race. Back in those days my main was a SK (SK main in eq2 now)... I'd like to give that a shot again. I'm stuck between Troll and DE right now but I feel I'm going to struggle even more starting in those newbie zones... Am I digging my own grave right off the bat by wanting to play there? Troll is probably my number pick for my SK but the xp penalty atop of the hybrid penalty sounds horrific. Any insight on this?

My next thought was to build a Bard (my alt in old days). I have been reading some old posts (2010) regarding issues with song twisting in low levels. Is this still a problem?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Welcome! :D I'd say freeport and qeynos are the best places to start but that's just because of how everything is placed and I'm just used to the area. I started an Iksar toon the other day and the whole Nafrik area was barren, but im sure I was just lost. Anyhow in the end it won't effect your ability to group too much but I wouldn't start a troll because of the complications with factions.

Bohab
05-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Great! Thanks for your replies. Think I'll try a few spots out and see what fairs well with me. Looking forward to the challenge. I may be responding again soon, though your guide and the wiki in general should cover most of my questions. Thanks again.

Swish
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
If you end up on Faydwer as a Gnome, Dwarf, High Elf or Wood Elf (EDIT: Or even a half elf!)... consider the mail delivery quest from Felwithe to Kelethin over killing the local wildlife, it will get you to level 6 or so a lot faster and you'll have gold in your pockets for the spells you might need, or equipment if not!

Good luck :)

jval2529
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Great! Thanks for your replies. Think I'll try a few spots out and see what fairs well with me. Looking forward to the challenge. I may be responding again soon, though your guide and the wiki in general should cover most of my questions. Thanks again.

Im glad to know my guide is helpful. :D

Messianic
05-04-2011, 03:24 PM

If you go SK, save up your plat from selling HQ bear skins (15p each), bone chips, etc. You can snag a blade of Xalgoz for around 150-200p nowadays or a Nathsar Greatsword for a little more (both are better than a dark reaver).

Heck, you'll probably run into people who'll give you stuff like that on this server....