PDA

View Full Version : Stamina at CC?

MegamanXZOBMV
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
--TL;DR = Question at the bottom --

Quick question about investing points in Stamina at character creation. I'm not very savvy with the more ''mathcraft'' side of EQ, so forgive my ignorance.

I read a lot about how the amount of HP gained by Stamina isn't really worth the cost of attribute points when making your character, but I read in some other sites (two really, which only mention it sorta passively), that Stamina increasing items are much harder to find than .. say.. Wisdom or Intelligence.

I don't know if that's true or not, I don't recall ever noticing or pondering that back when I first started EverQuest. So my real question is this:

--- How useful is Stamina really, compared to other stats, and is there any class in particular that should possibly consider investing into it at Character Creation? ---

Just curious, I do remember dumping points into stamina whenever I made a character that had Stamina as a ''recommended'' attribute. Intriguing to know whether I ended up totally screwing over my character from the beginning or not.

Mardur
05-07-2011, 11:58 PM
No matter what class you roll, putting as many points into stamina as possible is never a bad decision. The only classes where it's kinda iffy are enc/wiz/mag as their hp gain from stamina is not very good compared to the other classes.

Kika Maslyaka
05-08-2011, 12:12 AM
by my latest measurement, at lev 50:

Warriors get 4.5hp per 1 STA
Pure casters get 2hp per 1 STA

rest of classes somewhere in between - didn't tested them, but tanks will be closer to warriors, and priests closer to casters.

but important notion is, that STA is the hardest stat to raise. So if you are a melee, go to STA all the way. Necros also have tendency to go into STA, but this usually happens after they max out INT and run out of +hp items to acquire...

Danth
05-08-2011, 12:20 AM
My advice on the subject is to tailor your character to your needs. Stamina mostly becomes the predominant stat at endgame, and particularly during Velious when other stats are easier to raise. So if all you care about is the long-term (or if you play a big race that already has high strength), go heavy stamina.

On the other hand, a lot of melee races have somewhat low strength, armor is heavy, and encumbrance can be a real problem if you're a new player without 'twink' items. This is no myth either; I knew at least 7 tanks who did quit their characters on P99 due to this issue. Having perfect stats for level 60 does you no good if you quit in frustration at level 25. I usually go heavily into strength for my characters and I've never had cause to regret it. At most you give up a few percent of your potential max health; that few percent never stuck me as being worth a lifetime of weight issues. Your mileage may vary, so to speak, so choose what works for you.

Casters often put left over points into stamina because they might not have a better use for them.

Danth

MegamanXZOBMV
05-08-2011, 12:29 AM
I see, so generally it may be worth my while to put some points into Stamina, particularly for a Melee/Tank-type toon? Good to know it's not a ''worthless'' stat, I've played many games with lots of those, and it always disappoints me.

I'm not really out to be the absolute best at whatever class I make. I'll be making a Half-Elf Warrior, which obviously isn't the best choice of race for a main tank, but I enjoy it and that's all I need. That's not to say that I don't want my Warrior to still be at least somewhat viable, I still want him to work.. I just don't care too much about min-maxing him and whatnot.

I think he'd definitely still receive mostly Strength for his bonus attribute points, but I'll toss in some Stamina where i might've spent a little on Agility instead. I remember when I got the game, a few weeks after EQ came out.. and my dad made a Wood Elf Ranger. Exceptionally low-strength, and we kept wondering why he was walking so slow and lost copious amounts of stamina while using his two-handed sword, Hah.

Mardur
05-08-2011, 01:50 AM
If you're making any sort of melee character put as many points into stamina as humanly possible. There are a few stats in EQ that aren't very useful, stamina isn't one of them.

The first time you survive a fight with only a few HP remaining you'll thank yourself.

Dr4z3r
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
If you're making a Half-Elf warrior, there's zero reason to spend anything on agility. I'd say the most spread-out stats there's any reason to do would be 10str, 10sta, 5dex, but you probably want to split them between STR and STA exclusively.