PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Platinum and P1999

machin576
05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
This is a question that goes out to all of you high levels that have more plat than you know what to do with. I want to know how you did it. What is the secret? I saw somebody offer 400k AND a mana stone for a Fungus Staff. How the heck did you get 400k plat? Tell your secrets.

Anyone that reads this and does not have much platz, feel free to guess how much plat Bob has.

I am gonna go with $750k. I bet I am way off though.

Alex
05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
This was explained very well by some people in another thread, but i am too lazy to go find it at the moment. If anyone remembers just link it here and the op will have his answer quickly and efficiently.

baalzy
05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Some of them cheated.

Others farmed like holy hell. 500-800pp/hr, 6-12hrs/day for well over a year is some serious platinum.

Shadey
05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
This would be great to hear feedback on as prices on items in EC are ridiculously high. Tried one of the old plat farm spots today (aqua gobs) and they are already nerfed (pre when they were in live).

YendorLootmonkey
05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
I devote 3-4 hours a night to cybering in order to make my hundreds of thousands of copper pieces.

Oh wait, you said plat. =(

Trystych
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I was the one auctioning that kind of plat for the staff, still am. I play this game way too much, when not raiding I often farm things out of boredom.

My trick to getting plat was playing a necro main and levelling in lower guk and farming that back when even the tower loots were actually worth something. Then I did an enchanter alt for efreeti duoing, and a cleric alt for the same which I took from 39-50 at the efreeti camp. Solo classes are just better for gaining plat, nobody to roll against, if you play a melee try a necro alt. Clerics are also great for farming, every group / duo benefits from one and if you play well you can pull off some pretty ridiculous camps with small numbers of people (duoing fire giants, etc).

Killing hill giants, ice giants, seafuries, those are all good for gaining straight plat per hour if you play a class that is efficient at it.

Also important is to farm items you want instead of buying them. Only sell items in the tunnel when you have a long list of things to get rid of, at the right price there is generally a buyer for anything and having a big list of stuff means better odds of having your time in the tunnel being productive.

Shiftin
05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
plus trystych steals from the guildbank

(this is a joke)

baalzy
05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
This would be great to hear feedback on as prices on items in EC are ridiculously high. Tried one of the old plat farm spots today (aqua gobs) and they are already nerfed (pre when they were in live).

Some spots aren't necessarily nerfed on purpose, more like not fully implemented, it's just hard to find evidence to support why they should be dropping lots of money.

Everyone knows Treants in SK were supposed to be a cash cow, but they kinda suck now. Same for the rangers at the druid circle in WC, not only are they way harder because they cast spells that actually are worth a damn but they don't drop as much fine steel/random vendor trash as they should.

If I recall you're talking about aqua goblin parts/blood which sold for 1-3pp or so to vendors and you'd get one or the other basically every kill, and one of each in a single kill quite a bit of the time right? In Butcherblock?

Edit:
Further to the OP, a necro/mage could get to 50 in a months time depending on their playtime. Some people literally had over a year just to farm their bank accounts up before Kunark hit. I unfortunately wasn't one of them since I didn't come across the server until march :X.

Shadey
05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Yup the ones in BBM. On the Allakhazam posting for them it pretty much lists when they were nerfed by reading the feedback and seeing when people complained about it being nerfed. Want to say it was 02/03.

My char is only 16 atm and with the really high prices of things i'm looking for ways to make plat. Bone Chips and Silk (when you can find a buyer) can only get you so far. LOL

Estu
05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Yup the ones in BBM. On the Allakhazam posting for them it pretty much lists when they were nerfed by reading the feedback and seeing when people complained about it being nerfed. Want to say it was 02/03.

My char is only 16 atm and with the really high prices of things i'm looking for ways to make plat. Bone Chips and Silk (when you can find a buyer) can only get you so far. LOL

The best way to make plat is to level. Unless you're a warrior, you can get by pretty well on cheap or no gear. Even if you're a warrior, you can get some useful stuff in the kind of price range you can get from farming bone chips (e.g. PGT for ~100pp). The gear in EC isn't terribly expensive when you're level 50 or 60 and have the capability to make a lot of plat in a short amount of time; it's just daunting when you're a lowbie. But when you're a lowbie, there's no real need for all that expensive stuff.

When you get a little higher level, any monster that drops research components is nice for a little plat, as they will sell from 5g to several plat and weigh next to nothing. Aviaks in South Karana are a good relatively low level place for this. Mammoths in Everfrost around level 25 will often drop tusks that sell for 10pp each, but weigh 10 pounds. If you level in dungeons with a group, you'll also get access to some drops that will sell for 50-100pp or so at low levels, which can be nice. Dungeon mobs also tend to drop research components, ringmail, and bronze, all of which will sell nicely.

Innate
05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
of the 10 richest people on the server, 9 played the EC market buying low selling high, 1 prob duped manastones and CT robes

girth
05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey at least you don't have people making millions off an alchemy exploit.

nicemace
05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
when i was leveling my enchanter from 35 onwards charmin guards in grobb, i was making around 1k an hour.

i then went on to farm yaks and FBSS's when they were selling for 15k each. got 3 yaks in one night once :D

and just other small items here or there like hooded black cloaks etc.

... and i wasnt even around for manastones.

takes a bit of time, but if you dont waste your money, you end up building a bit of bank.. just find high value items and farm em.

but yeah... im a solo player. did little grouping.

Mcbard
05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Also important is to farm items you want instead of buying them.

This is important.

Another thing that might help out, especially if you plan on getting to end game is making wise investments. Stop spending 1k every 5 levels to buy better and better droppable gear, especially now with Kunark out, unless it's something that's going to remain at a fixed price and is best in slot for your class. Make wise investments. On my main I've spent approximately 2k in gear (my 2 rings and a couple armor pieces I got at a discount and later sold and profited from). Everything else is no droppable planar gear, and before that it was quested, not paid for, Lambent, which when sold made me a couple thousand platinum. Try to find deals on items you buy, don't buy rare kunark loot for 120k the week it comes out, when it's going to stabilize at 6-8k a month down the road. If you can, don't even buy it, go farm it and save yourself a lot of money. Try to be the person on the other side of that equation. I shudder to think of just how much plat the TR members that lived in crypt for the first couple of weeks made, but if they had held on to that stuff and sold it now it would be worth far less. Even if you need an item, if it's currently way over value I've considered selling it and just rebuying it later for a lot cheaper.

Try to buy things that are only going to go up in price. Things that no longer drop are a very wise investment. I've spent well over 5x what I've spent on my own gear on wr bags that will never go down in price, and items that no longer drop but are sought after.

I would say that between making smart investments, farming items every now and then, and just playing the market anybody with a high level character should be able to bank a lot of plat just over the course of adventuring.

Also, don't waste money equipping alts. My alts have either been given items (which I don't sell, just for principle) or I have quested them no droppable quest items that are good for their class. Once they're 46 they'll just get planar rot anyway.

Edit: This was really way to long of a post. It can best be summed up by saying: use simple business sense, and the more time you put in, the more platinum you're ultimately going to get out.

Harrison
05-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Being here since the "Beginning" was a huge boost, too.

I leveled and farmed Seafuries when there were 2 people on the island, max.

Now you have to fight 6 other scrubshits over spawns who will likely KS you, or try.

I made ridiculous amounts of money doing this. Once you have a good base you can start playing the market, which is extremely easy.

Mountaineer
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
There was an alchemy exploit? And I missed it, crap! What was it!

Mcbard
05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Being here since the "Beginning" was a huge boost, too.

I leveled and farmed Seafuries when there were 2 people on the island, max.

Now you have to fight 6 other scrubshits over spawns who will likely KS you, or try.

I made ridiculous amounts of money doing this. Once you have a good base you can start playing the market, which is extremely easy.

One day I'm doing seafuries for exp and some mage is sending me tells with something akin to "lol kill them already! damn bards!". The next day I'm kiting 8 seafuries at once killing 8 faster than he could ever dream of (grats medding and failing) and the same mage tells me "you've been reported greedy asshole".

Avoid that place like the plague man.

In b4 coolstorybro.png

Harrison
05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Well like I said, back in the day here...you had the island to yourself or another person tops.

Mardur
05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Those aqua goblins weren't added until luclin or pop. Stop making suggestions if you didn't play during classic.

Lazortag
05-09-2011, 08:24 PM
One day I'm doing seafuries for exp and some mage is sending me tells with something akin to "lol kill them already! damn bards!". The next day I'm kiting 8 seafuries at once killing 8 faster than he could ever dream of (grats medding and failing) and the same mage tells me "you've been reported greedy asshole".

In b4 coolstorybro.png

There's no way you can kite 8 at once efficiently unless you found some way of AE kiting giant-sized mobs.

Also I did some stats on this and Bards at level 50 killed seafuries about 2/3 the speed of mages, which is respectable, and nothing to complain over.

baalzy
05-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Those aqua goblins weren't added until luclin or pop. Stop making suggestions if you didn't play during classic.

Ah, well that explains that.

I apologize for not having known of every possible leveling spot when I was leveling up during kunark and not knowing that this didn't get added in until Luclin.

I figured when I finally did find out about them that they had just been a well kept secret.

Mcbard
05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
There's no way you can kite 8 at once efficiently unless you found some way of AE kiting giant-sized mobs.

Also I did some stats on this and Bards at level 50 killed seafuries about 2/3 the speed of mages, which is respectable, and nothing to complain over.

Anything over 4 and you really start to lose efficiency because you can't keep both chants on all of them too reliably. It took about 20 minutes to down all 8 though, and I think that's a pretty decent number. That was actually part of an epic kite of about 11 or 12 non-stop that lasted a little over a half hour. Never claimed it was efficient, was meant to show how people complain about something no matter what you're doing. :rolleyes:

Your stats don't really mean much.

Harrison
05-09-2011, 10:38 PM
The benefit to kiting them like that though is no competition. (besides KSing)

You may kill them slower but you will be guaranteed those 8. You can't always be guaranteed 8 in 20ish minutes depending on competition.

I would sometimes pull 3 and kite one around just to keep them to myself.

gnomishfirework
05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
The benefit to kiting them like that though is no competition. (besides KSing)

You may kill them slower but you will be guaranteed those 8. You can't always be guaranteed 8 in 20ish minutes depending on competition.

So, you're an asshole? Thanks for letting everyone know.

Kraftwerk
05-09-2011, 11:09 PM
The next day I'm kiting 8 seafuries at once killing 8 faster than he could ever dream of

It took about 20 minutes to down all 8 though, and I think that's a pretty decent number.

These two are contradictory. You claim you killed 8 faster than a mage could dream of, then state you killed them in 20 minutes? I can go through 4 - 5 per spawn cycle (6min40sec). In 20 minutes? Even with 3-4 people competition, I'm looking at least a dozen kills. So how exactly is your killing 66% of what I kill in equal time faster than I could ever dream of? Which leads me to my next quote...

Even when there are 5-6 people on the island, you can't kill 8 in 20 minutes? Not to turn this into RnF material, but seriously need to learn Seafuries a little better, at least if you're a mage. If you're a non mage class I understand, but locking down two static spawns at 6min40sec is 6 per 20 alone, add in tagging some fluctuating static spawns and if you can't speed tag at least 2 of those per 20 you're doing something wrong.

Moral of the story, learn SF spawn points. Then learn to tag+kite while your pet finishes one off so you have one already lined up. Then learn to buddy up with every single other person on the island in a concerted effort to lockdown every SF spawn whenever there is a Bard/Druid on the island in order to drive them away. I'm sorry but I just laugh everytime I watch a Bard or Druid lock up a spawn point for 10+ minutes while they do their dots and sit, or dots and run around bard speed (and good luck swarm kiting since SFs have a life expectancy of 2 minutes when there are Mages+Necros on isle).

Harrison
05-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Kraft, I'm not saying I ever had problems killing them. I'm saying that from McBard's view.

I was killing seafuries when you were still nailing snakes in nektulos. I've never had a problem killing them, or competing for them.

Pico
05-10-2011, 01:44 AM
I was killing seafuries when you were still nailing snakes in nektulos.

quoted for posterity

M.Bison
05-10-2011, 01:55 AM
words..

What druid would use dots to kill a single seafury, when he can quad 4 from 100% to 0% in 90sec? Followed by 5-6min of medding lol. If you were up against druids that dot/rotted SF's u were up against some bad druids imo. Maybe im more of an instant gratification type of person, but sitting there while dots eat away on a mob, while mana efficient, is terribly boring to me. I always quadded SF's when i was there, and i averaged about 1k/hr

Ennoia
05-10-2011, 02:22 AM
This is important.

Another thing that might help out, especially if you plan on getting to end game is making wise investments. Stop spending 1k every 5 levels to buy better and better droppable gear, especially now with Kunark out, unless it's something that's going to remain at a fixed price and is best in slot for your class. Make wise investments. On my main I've spent approximately 2k in gear (my 2 rings and a couple armor pieces I got at a discount and later sold and profited from). Everything else is no droppable planar gear, and before that it was quested, not paid for, Lambent, which when sold made me a couple thousand platinum. Try to find deals on items you buy, don't buy rare kunark loot for 120k the week it comes out, when it's going to stabilize at 6-8k a month down the road. If you can, don't even buy it, go farm it and save yourself a lot of money. Try to be the person on the other side of that equation. I shudder to think of just how much plat the TR members that lived in crypt for the first couple of weeks made, but if they had held on to that stuff and sold it now it would be worth far less. Even if you need an item, if it's currently way over value I've considered selling it and just rebuying it later for a lot cheaper.

Try to buy things that are only going to go up in price. Things that no longer drop are a very wise investment. I've spent well over 5x what I've spent on my own gear on wr bags that will never go down in price, and items that no longer drop but are sought after.

I would say that between making smart investments, farming items every now and then, and just playing the market anybody with a high level character should be able to bank a lot of plat just over the course of adventuring.

Also, don't waste money equipping alts. My alts have either been given items (which I don't sell, just for principle) or I have quested them no droppable quest items that are good for their class. Once they're 46 they'll just get planar rot anyway.

Edit: This was really way to long of a post. It can best be summed up by saying: use simple business sense, and the more time you put in, the more platinum you're ultimately going to get out.

Ehhh, if you know how to make cash, equipping alts is fun. Aside from my Magician, I had (have? idk I don't play anymore) 3 fully geared alts with close to everything BiS (at that time) and 2 fully geared characters for friends, while still having more cash than I know what to do with.

In b4 coolstorybro.png

Xping at Seafuries is a retard move. There's also no way you could kill 8 at once faster than a Magician. Fuck I got bored and was duoing with a Bard one night and it was actually slower than when I was soloing. Magicians who need to med are doing it wrong.

Anything over 4 and you really start to lose efficiency because you can't keep both chants on all of them too reliably. It took about 20 minutes to down all 8 though, and I think that's a pretty decent number. That was actually part of an epic kite of about 11 or 12 non-stop that lasted a little over a half hour. Never claimed it was efficient, was meant to show how people complain about something no matter what you're doing. :rolleyes:

Your stats don't really mean much.

20 minutes for 8 is actually really slow.

If you really want cash, farm AC for...well as long as you can tolerate it. Bind at camp, keep ring in a top inventory slot, kill yourself after he's dead (takes like3 seconds), rinse and repeat until you're rich.

Lazortag
05-10-2011, 04:41 AM
The next day I'm kiting 8 seafuries at once killing 8 faster than he could ever dream of (grats medding and failing) and the same mage tells me "you've been reported greedy asshole".

Never claimed it was efficient, ...

Seems like you did. And like everybody said, there is no way you were killing them "faster than he could ever dream of".

What's hilarious is that you should be able to kill seafuries at the same rate without locking up 8 spawns at once (just by using charm/dots), yet you wonder why someone would call you greedy for choosing the method that's more douchey, yet equally efficient. Maybe it wasn't worth reporting you but you have to admit it was greedy, and served no purpose but to deny other people of spawns.

xshayla701
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I was killing seafuries when you were still nailing snakes in nektulos.

Bahahah this is the best

Kraftwerk
05-10-2011, 01:24 PM
What druid would use dots to kill a single seafury, when he can quad 4 from 100% to 0% in 90sec? Followed by 5-6min of medding lol. If you were up against druids that dot/rotted SF's u were up against some bad druids imo. Maybe im more of an instant gratification type of person, but sitting there while dots eat away on a mob, while mana efficient, is terribly boring to me. I always quadded SF's when i was there, and i averaged about 1k/hr

You would not believe the types of Druids and Bards who make their way to SFs these days. But the root of the problem is that even on off hours there are 2-3 Mages/Necros on the isle which results in no more than 2 SFs alive at any given moment. So you're idea of quadding is more or less an unrealized ideal situation.

So what tends to happen is a Druid will tag one then run it around for 2-3 minutes looking for another couple to quad. Upon realizing that isn't happening he resorts to rooting it and doting it to death for 10+ minutes (I have watched one nameless Druid take 12 minutes). Now he has locked the spawn for 12-15 minutes preventing 2 respawns for his one kill.

Bards are worse now that the isle is permapacked. They will tag one then run looking for more. When they realize they can't even find a second one to charm kill the other with they resort to dot kiting their single SF. Resulting in them preventing 2 SF respawns as well. The regulars on the isle have the spawn points so well timed majority of day that a SF will go untagged maybe 10-15 seconds max, and alive for 60 seconds after that. Due to this climate there is a lot of contempt for slow killing classes that give the perception of locking up spawn points.

Mcbard
05-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Ehhh, if you know how to make cash, equipping alts is fun. Aside from my Magician, I had (have? idk I don't play anymore) 3 fully geared alts with close to everything BiS (at that time) and 2 fully geared characters for friends, while still having more cash than I know what to do with.

Ya, but it's an ineffecient use of money, just get them as much no drop gear as possible instead of sinking money into them, unless you already have a decent amount (I'm assuming the OP doesn't or he wouldn't have made the thread). Camping items > buying items.

Xping at Seafuries is a retard move. There's also no way you could kill 8 at once faster than a Magician. Fuck I got bored and was duoing with a Bard one night and it was actually slower than when I was soloing. Magicians who need to med are doing it wrong.

The XP was actually very solid during 51 and 52 for a solo bard, about 1% per 2 kills. They hit for far less and have less hp than any of the kunark mobs around that level. It took about a week before the annoying pet classes started wandering back to the island anyway. How did you kill slower with an additional person? If anything you should be killing at the exact same pace..

Mcbard
05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Seems like you did. And like everybody said, there is no way you were killing them "faster than he could ever dream of".

What's hilarious is that you should be able to kill seafuries at the same rate without locking up 8 spawns at once (just by using charm/dots), yet you wonder why someone would call you greedy for choosing the method that's more douchey, yet equally efficient. Maybe it wasn't worth reporting you but you have to admit it was greedy, and served no purpose but to deny other people of spawns.

This isn't exactly true for a number of reasons. First, I never claimed efficiency. Secondly, when I'm kiting 8, this minimizes the number of spawns he gets and so I can theoretically kill them faster then him via monopolozing most of the spawns, making sure they die at the same time and then retagging when the spawn. Third, what I just detailed, and whatever you think might of happened in all actuality didn't, I was getting the 3 pather repops on the south beach (this is where I kite and happens a lot). Anyway, this thread isn't really about seafuries since I don't think anyone actually farms them for cash anymore, or at least I would hope not.

Sorry to the OP for it getting off track, but hopefully my previous post helped a little! :)

Kraftwerk
05-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Anyway, this thread isn't really about seafuries since I don't think anyone actually farms them for cash anymore, or at least I would hope not.

Why? Is there another secret spot in Kunark that guarantees 1.5-2kp per hour for no effort?

soup
05-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Anyway, this thread isn't really about seafuries since I don't think anyone actually farms them for cash anymore, or at least I would hope not.

lol what?