PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie! Saying hello!

Tecknologic
05-10-2011, 05:05 AM
Hello everyone! I heard about this server from a few different websites, and decided to check it out. I'm extremely bored with the newer fantasy MMOs, and decided to check this out.

Is there anything a newbie should know before attempting to learn this game the hard way? I would really like to try my hand at tanking in EQ, but healing and support roles sound like a lot of fun as well. My ultimate goal is to do raiding, but I'm in no rush to do so. Might as well enjoy what a lot of people say is the golden era of EQ.

Anyway, just wanted to say Hi!

San
05-10-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm right there with you. Just got it going earlier today. I have always thought it was best to pick a class / race that you like and just dive in when you are just starting out.

Supaskillz
05-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Check out http://wiki.project1999.org the guides tab should be helpful. I know someone who just came here and never played eq just added a guide to explain all the newbie stuff he learned.

kissemisse
05-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi!

falkun
05-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Ok, a few things about EQ that newer MMOs "fixed":

In P99 (Classic EQ), supreme classes exist. You want to be the most indestructible tank: Warrior. You want to heal end-game: Cleric. Pallies and SKs can tank all group content fine, but any raid content will be tanked by a warrior. The knights might offtank adds, but never the main boss.
That said, you are better off playing a class you enjoy, rather than min-max. Leveling in EQ is going to be a lot slower than newer MMOs. And depending on your race/class selection, it may be even slower. EQ, unlike recent WoW, is not about the end-game. The game doesn't "begin" at max level, it begins when you get stomped on and die to a beetle or bat at L1.
Travel takes time, there are no flight paths, no portals to click. You want to go somewhere at low level? Ask for a SoW and hoof it. you want to get across the continent, get cozy with your friendly neighborhood druid or wizard, and offer him a bit of compensation for his time.
The game world is out to kill you. You can die to blues/greens (especially if you afk without ensuring you're in a safe place). Don't go into a zone too high for your level and expect to make it out the other side alive. This fear will save your life.
Aggro range exists. Learn it, let it become one with you. Watching WoW morons accidently aggro trash in dungeons always confused me until I realized they never learned to judge aggro range like EQers did.
CRs (Corpse Retreivals/Runs). They exist. They suck. They teach you to appreciate living. Death exists and has true consequences in this game. You never know how alive you are at 1% health until death matters.
Your social status matters. There are no cross-server instances, people will learn your name, and reputation can and will get you groups or keep you from getting them. A good player is worth their weight, a ninja/moron will sit LFG.
The game doesn't hold your hand. You want to know where to go? what your spells are? Google. Or better yet, start at the wiki linked above by Supaskillz.

I'm sure there is plenty more, but this should help new players realize that "we're not in Azeroth anymore".

Swish
05-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Play a class you enjoy, that's the bottom line. Having previous MMO experience you probably know what you prefer in terms of tanking, healing, etc :)

I say it to everyone, but if you start as a high elf/wood elf/half elf (in Kelethin)/dwarf of gnome...make sure you do the mail delivery quest from Felwithe to Kelethin repeatedly to hit level 6, it will give you cash and fastish experience, and saves battering the local wildlife to death!

Goraxx
05-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Sup!

Hobby
05-10-2011, 08:15 AM

In P99 (Classic EQ), supreme classes exist. You want to be the most indestructible tank: Warrior. You want to heal end-game: Cleric. Pallies and SKs can tank all group content fine, but any raid content will be tanked by a warrior. The knights might offtank adds, but never the main boss.
That said, you are better off playing a class you enjoy, rather than min-max. Leveling in EQ is going to be a lot slower than newer MMOs. And depending on your race/class selection, it may be even slower. EQ, unlike recent WoW, is not about the end-game. The game doesn't "begin" at max level, it begins when you get stomped on and die to a beetle or bat at L1.
Travel takes time, there are no flight paths, no portals to click. You want to go somewhere at low level? Ask for a SoW and hoof it. you want to get across the continent, get cozy with your friendly neighborhood druid or wizard, and offer him a bit of compensation for his time.
The game world is out to kill you. You can die to blues/greens (especially if you afk without ensuring you're in a safe place). Don't go into a zone too high for your level and expect to make it out the other side alive. This fear will save your life.
Aggro range exists. Learn it, let it become one with you. Watching WoW morons accidently aggro trash in dungeons always confused me until I realized they never learned to judge aggro range like EQers did.
CRs (Corpse Retreivals/Runs). They exist. They suck. They teach you to appreciate living. Death exists and has true consequences in this game. You never know how alive you are at 1% health until death matters.
Your social status matters. There are no cross-server instances, people will learn your name, and reputation can and will get you groups or keep you from getting them. A good player is worth their weight, a ninja/moron will sit LFG.
The game doesn't hold your hand. You want to know where to go? what your spells are? Google. Or better yet, start at the wiki linked above by Supaskillz.

I'm sure there is plenty more, but this should help new players realize that "we're not in Azeroth anymore".

Best post I've read in awhile.

A+
Would read again...
NLE;WTKR
(not long enough, want to keep reading)

Walabaego
05-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Ha! Not in Azeroth anymore, excellent.

Welcome to P99!!

Hottbiscuits Dreadmuffin
05-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Well said, Falkun!!

I'd just like to add that if you play an evil race, realize that you're evil. Accept that you can't go everywhere your High Elf friend can. Faction is very important in EQ, and it takes a lot of time and effort to fix it if you ruin it or if it was ruined from the start.

If you get faction for killing something, make sure you know what the consequences will be if you continue on your rampage.

This is also one of my favorite things in EQ; If you're a Dark Elf and want to be loved by Wood Elves, it's totally possible (for the most part).

RiffDaemon
05-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Another thing to mention if you're coming from WoW or some other modern MMO:

Quest-giving NPCs are not readily obvious; there are no exclamation marks or other symbols floating over their head. You HAVE to hail everyone you meet and read the dialogue to find keywords that lead to quests.

eqravenprince
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I can't imagine starting off in EQ brand new. Here's a couple sites worth checking out http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Players:Adventure. And http://www.pro1999.com/.

Athosblack
05-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Welcome aboard and awesome post above! Everything posted above is golden. I learnt the hard way 6 years ago and man does it ring true now in my second go at EQ. Have fun!!!

-Moriarti; 16 Gnome Necro

Goraxx
05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Bard's are awesome! Learn to love them :D

Tecknologic
05-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, especially you Falkun!

Are people picky about character names, or will "Tecknologic" work?

San
05-11-2011, 02:09 AM
That's a good question. Not sure of the rules on this server for names. But the name you are asking about would be a good bard name :)

Troy
05-11-2011, 02:19 AM

People generally don't care, there are a lot of respected high level people with IMO extremely stupid names. You'd think that someone who played EQ 10+ years ago would have grown out of that by now! :confused:

falkun
05-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Let me refer you to here:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17488

In general though, people are pretty lax. Hell, I'm a bard with a name of "Deajay", noone's given me any flak for that.