PDA

View Full Version : Is mob XP based on the level or the con of the mob?

tristantio
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
For instance, at 36 a level 35 and a level 29 both con dark blue.

Kika Maslyaka
05-10-2011, 07:26 PM
on level of mob.
the con only represent average difficulty of encounter - such as Dark Blue = "It can still kick your ass" :D

thought system is heavily inconsistent. As you go higher, the mobs become so much more deadly, that the only thing that matter is actual difference in level between you and it.
At lev 60, a lev 59 blue con will beat the living crap out of you in a matter of seconds :D

At higher levels there are instances when its easier/better XP to chain pull light blue's, than a single dark blue - specially for melee classes

quellren
05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
It's my understanding that mobs award a fixed number of exp points regardless of level.
Disregarding the racial and class exp modifiers which can be explained in the FAQ:
Say a lvl 29 mob gives 20,000 exp (unless it's trivial green con)
If you are lvl 10, 20k is a good portion of a level. (like dumping a gallon of water into a bucket)
If you are lvl 35, it still gives the same 20k, you just have a much bigger 'bucket' to fill.

Also: expect there to be a point where soloing dark blues is no longer efficient. Kika is right, at 60, a lvl 59 will make you a snack excepting rare circumstances like Low-MR mobs that can be kited.

Kika Maslyaka
05-10-2011, 10:11 PM
well yes, but what I meant is:
level 1 mob gives 100 XP
level 26 mob gives 26k XP (for a example)
etc
but each level you need to earn more Xp to ding

there is however max Xp cap for a level, so you cannot just kill couple of reds (with outside PL help) and get like 20 levels in 1 shot.
I believe the cap is like no more than 2/3 of level XP can be gained from a single kill, and gets smaller as you go up.

so even thought, you are level 1, and your friends just set thing up so you killed a level 50 mob, which worth shit load of XP, the most you will get from it is 1 level :)
Or something along those lines =)

Rejuvenation
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
if (conlevel != 0xFF && !resexp) {
switch (conlevel)
{
case CON_GREEN:
add_exp = 0;
add_aaxp = 0;
return;
case CON_LIGHTBLUE:
add_exp = add_exp * RuleI(Character, LightBlueModifier)/100;
add_aaxp = add_aaxp * RuleI(Character, LightBlueModifier)/100;
break;
case CON_BLUE:
add_exp = add_exp * RuleI(Character, BlueModifier)/100;
add_aaxp = add_aaxp * RuleI(Character, BlueModifier)/100;
break;
case CON_WHITE:
add_exp = add_exp * RuleI(Character, WhiteModifier)/100;
add_aaxp = add_aaxp * RuleI(Character, WhiteModifier)/100;
break;
case CON_YELLOW:
add_exp = add_exp * RuleI(Character, YellowModifier)/100;
add_aaxp = add_aaxp * RuleI(Character, YellowModifier)/100;
break;
case CON_RED:
add_exp = add_exp * RuleI(Character, RedModifier)/100;
add_aaxp = add_aaxp * RuleI(Character, RedModifier)/100;
break;
}
}

This is from the open source ProjectEmu code page. If the server is based off of this code, then it looks like exp is only dependent upon mob con level. That being said, tons of stuff is different on this server, and I of course havn't seen the code so I wouldn't know if they have implemented exp gain differently.

Doors
05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I am interested in knowing the code behind the RedModifier, YellowModifier, etc. Just not motivated enough to research it myself heh.

Kika Maslyaka
05-10-2011, 11:07 PM
the con modifiers are part of custom rule system which can adjusted by server admin
what they do is alter default 100% XP given by a mob to give more or less Xp based on the rule value.
This is used to for example to force players to only fight mobs which are very close to their own level - like WoW/EQ2 system

for example: a lev 10 usually gives 100 XP at lev 10
with default settings, it always gives 100 XP.
with modified rules you can make it that for each level it below you, its looses 20% of XP worth

so if you are lev 10 - mob worth 100 xp
if you are lev 11, mob now worth 80 xp
if you are lev 12 mob now worth 60 XP

this is in addition of the growing XP bar that needs to be filled.
this makes XPing A LOT slower

Rejuvenation
05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Kika is correct. rulesys.h contains the prototype of the rule functions. When it calls RuleI( ) it checks to see what the server has set in its database for the modifiers. That being said, it doesn't pass the actual level of the mob, so the server would have to check the mob's level again after checking the ConModifier values to distinguish further between mob levels. I am not a dev so I cannot check to see what the database does with these though.

Slave
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
The answer is that both are used. The level of the monster is the base, and the con affects that. If the mob is light blue, I've noticed you get AT THE MOST 1/2 the experience you would have if it were blue. This is despite a mere 1 level difference in the mob and his friend that you just killed.

So the ultimate thing to take from this is, kill dark blue cons. They give you full experience AND have a far less chance of melee or spell mitigation than higher con mobs.

baalzy
05-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd think that the xp is customized on here. I've gotten 'You gain experience' messages on green mobs before in P99. Where in the case above it clearly shows that green cons give 0 xp.

Example: at lvl 40 or 41 I was killing the guards inside Rivervale, one of the guards (the one outside the fishing shop I think) conned green, but gave me xp anyways.

Dantes
05-11-2011, 02:56 PM
So slaughtering the lowest level dark blues possible would be more efficient than fighting mobs that are only 1 level below you.

guineapig
05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
So slaughtering the lowest level dark blues possible would be more efficient than fighting mobs that are only 1 level below you.

Totally.

hypothetical example (I made up the numbers):

level 50 mob takes 1.25 minutes to kill and gives 1000 exp
level 46 mob takes 30 seconds to kill and gives 500 exp

In this example you can kill 3 level 46 mobs in roughly the same time as it takes to kill 1 level 50 mob. The level 50 mob gives double the exp but due to rate of kills it's better to kill the level 46 mobs.

Tibador
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
But dont forget there are exp modifers for zones that effect the outcome.

baalzy
05-11-2011, 03:55 PM
You wanna kill mobs below lvl 40 as long as you possibly can. At lvl 40 the amount of HP on mobs goes up dramatically.