PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter solo?

mjrau
05-11-2011, 08:31 AM
I have got to 17 as an enchanter and often find it hard to get groups in aussie prime time. i was wondering, is there a recommended way for an enchanter to solo? i have tried some charm stuff but it seems a little unreliable. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ennoia
05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Charm. It's really the only way.

Messianic
05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
At level 17? I'm surprised, Ennoia - you're normally quite knowledgeable. You really think Charm is the only way, even prior to Cajoling Whispers?

I found using the animation pet to solo as a chanter (I have one who's about to ding 17) actually very reliable. You just have to get into a rhythm of using your resources as effectively as possible, i.e. stepping in to take a few hits here and there into your 20s, using pet hp as a primary defense since they regen fairly quickly, slows/dots depending on the mob you're fighting, etc...

At 16, the spiders in upper guk were still a great place to solo, and as a noob, you'll probably enjoy the gem drops. You can bind near the zone line in Grobb and go dark elf form to buy/sell there.

tingling
05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Xornns_Enchanter_Guide

that might be helpfull...

it goes over a couple of methods of soloing... check it out

Scrooge
05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Unless you're heavily twinked, charm soloing under mid 30s will be extremely hard, not efficient, and not fun at all unless you're really good at it, and even then it can be overwhelming at times.

When I was leveling, I recall starting my charming career solo around lvl 24 (this was when the server was a couple of months old mind you, I didn't even have a single item that gave any stats at all 'till low 30s), and while it was lots of fun it was also very risky.

As Messianic said above, the summoned pets work really well, especially in the lower level ranges.

Swish
05-11-2011, 09:16 AM
I found using the animation pet to solo as a chanter (I have one who's about to ding 17) actually very reliable. You just have to get into a rhythm of using your resources as effectively as possible, i.e. stepping in to take a few hits here and there into your 20s, using pet hp as a primary defense since they regen fairly quickly, slows/dots depending on the mob you're fighting, etc...

At 16, the spiders in upper guk were still a great place to solo, and as a noob, you'll probably enjoy the gem drops. You can bind near the zone line in Grobb and go dark elf form to buy/sell there.

Spot on!

Personally for something like enchanter soloing I'm far too safe and prefer a nice open outdoor zone (Field of Bone, Oasis, etc) but good advice! :D

Reubin
05-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I have got to 17 as an enchanter and often find it hard to get groups in aussie prime time. i was wondering, is there a recommended way for an enchanter to solo? i have tried some charm stuff but it seems a little unreliable. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Summon your animation pet
Give pet a rusty/summoned weapon so it dual wields (pretty sure this works by 16 but not 100% sure)
Cast Haste on Pet
Pull/Root Mob
Slow Mob
Dot Mob
If mob hasn't hit you yet, let him hit you and let pet devour
Repeat

Using this method I'm able to solo fairly efficiently. I'm still doing it occasionally at level 37. Charm is too unreliable to be really efficient. The key is finding a safe place and getting into a rhythm of buffing/medding/pulling. I was one of the few lucky ones who got Breeze at level 16 the night Kunark came out which sped up my soloing tremendously. Not sure if it's been put on merchants yet but if it hasn't you can still do this method, the exp probably just won't be as fast. I think at 16 I was probably in Oasis still, but you are very close to the level Crag Spiders become doable. I'd probably wait until 17 or 18 to try them...but I flew through to 25ish there and made some decent money combining the silks into swatches (buy a sewing kit).

Messianic
05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Spot on!

Personally for something like enchanter soloing I'm far too safe and prefer a nice open outdoor zone (Field of Bone, Oasis, etc) but good advice! :D

I used to feel the same way - it just takes a long time to get a feel for how to hold indoor camps safely, and knowing which camps are actually good for this (i.e. the spawn times are fast enough or the mobs are plentiful enough to actually have pulls when you need them without busting your camp - which is less of a concern with lull/mezz etc). Once you get the hang of it, the ZEM makes indoor soloing awesome. Loot's better, too...

mwatt
05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Here is what I did 15 to 19 with my chanter, using the Animation to solo:

1. Ran to SK and set up shop in a small valley just slightly SW of KFC.
2. Trade SoW for Breeze or just bum a SoW from nearby Druids/Shamans who are typically based at KFC.
3. If no SoW and < 17, just kill Baby Elephants and the one Egret that wanders through that valley. You will have to wander to the E/NE of KFC a short ways to pick up more Baby Elephant kills.
4. If SoW and >= 17, you can try Elephants, Egrets that are stationary at KFC and possibly a few Darters.

The little valley I described is completely safe to AFK at and it sports 2 wandering Baby Elephants and one wandering Egret. These are not enough to keep you busy if you are single-mindly playing the game. However, they are enough if you are doing something else while playing, e.g. chores, guitar, etc. If you are fully engaged in the game, then pulling prey from the vicinity of KFC will usually keep you busy.

The other nice thing about this spot is of course Krak the merchant atop KFC. This is convenient for selling your loot (tusks stack btw and sell decently) and also for "jade banking". What's "jade banking"? That is my name for the process of buying jades using your excess non-platinum coinage. The jades have a pretty good sell back ratio (i.e. you only loose about 10% of your money when you buy and sell back). Jades aren't very heavy, they stack, and Krak has an infinite supply.

P.S. Baby Elephants are among the easiest mobs to kill in all of Norrath.

Blyte Glumm
05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I solo'd(few goruping experiences) to 50 on a x6 xp pvp server without using charm.

I just buffed my pet.. pulled with tash or choke if tash wasn't needed... then used whirl till ya hurl+choke.. the lull line works fine for splitting pulls.. did orcs/dervs -> upper guk a bit -> CT -> LG/Sol B

whirl might not be as broken on this server as it seemed to be on that server however.. but it made mobs into punching bags there... and I just used illusion troll to regen back the little dmg I took while letting the mob hit me to engage my pet.

falkun
05-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I solo'd(few goruping experiences) to 50 on a x6 xp pvp server without using charm.

I just buffed my pet.. pulled with tash or choke if tash wasn't needed... then used whirl till ya hurl+choke.. the lull line works fine for splitting pulls.. did orcs/dervs -> upper guk a bit -> CT -> LG/Sol B

whirl might not be as broken on this server as it seemed to be on that server however.. but it made mobs into punching bags there... and I just used illusion troll to regen back the little dmg I took while letting the mob hit me to engage my pet.

I'm sure some Encs will correct me, but whirl was pretty broken on this server until about 2 updates ago. This nerf and another to charm duration calculation really hurt a bunch of chanters flying on ezmode.

baalzy
05-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Whirl lasted full duration until just before or maybe just after Kunark release. This meant enchanters could keep mobs stun-locked and could solo way more difficult mobs then they should have been able to.

Now it has a high probability (or maybe always?) of breaking when hit.

It was a nerf that came about a year too late on P99(was done on live after 2 weeks of server open).

mjrau
05-11-2011, 08:23 PM
That sounds like some good advice, I'll have to try it. I've been in Oasis and there is a nice spot near P2 that doesnt seem to track many of those damn pumas. I hadnt throught about guk at all so might go check there seeings its pretty close by.
i have tried out whirl till you hurl but it only seems to last seconds sometimes and seems to be quite unreliable, perhaps i am using it wrong.
This is pretty much the character that i want to play, my necro is aweosme but i have played one to 50 (which was max level at the time) and remember it being boring for those last few levels. Druid is pretty fun but repetative and I'd like to be helpful to my guild or party whenever I get one.
I scored a crude stein when i was traipsing around oggok looking for my levitate spell so thats nice at the moment but I dont have any other items worth speaking of. What the first thing tha ti should go for? i was considering doing the stein of moggok quest?

Baa
05-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Using my pet to solo is pretty easy once you get your rhythm down, somebody mentioned it but I usually do as follows

Tash
Root
Slow
Take a hit to let pet melee
Drop a few nukes
Repeat

Sure charm soloing you can take down bigger targets but I have found that I level quicker using my pet to farm blues. (Just my opinion!)

14 - 16 - Spiders in uguk
16 - 20 - Gorge hounds in WK
20 - 24 - Aviaks in lake rathe (two guards or 4 in middle using lull)
24 - 29 - Centaurs
29 - 39 - Misty Thicket guards for super cash + exp. would probably do singles from 29 to 34 then use lull to take the gate from 34 to 39.
39 - 44 - Spectres

Thats where I am at so far but the above except for gorge hounds all offer decent $$ and great exp.

If you ever have any questions shoot me a tell on Evilbaa, Minibaa or Monklybaa as I am also a Aussie and should be on around the same times.

Edit: They fixed lull but it still works well enough in most cases, I rarely have a critical resist where I get aggro

mjrau
05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Sweet. Been out of it for a while, but will definatley give it a crack this weekend :)

Thanks for the info.

Splorf22
05-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Sadly even I have to support the whirl nerf. At 45+ you could regen back the mana required to whirl during the stun duration itself, so it was basically endless killing. I went through level 45 in 6-7 hours or so doing the Ishva Mal's room plus the 4 that spawn in the adjacent room - 11 dark blue mobs every 15 minutes or so.

The biggest tip I can give you for pet soloing is to always make sure you have a max level pet - reclaim and resummon until you do. Even 1-2 extra levels for your pet will make a huge difference.

I highly recommend duoing. As an enchanter you can duo with just about anyone - I even duoed with a twinked rogue in unrest once. Every 10 seconds I would toss in a stun so he could slide around and backstab. My favorite groups are small/unusual groups where I have to be creative, and plus just soloing can get boring with no one to talk to.

Zigfreed
05-19-2011, 04:17 AM
Lots of good advice up there. Heres my bits..
Charm is unnecessary, your pet is surprisingly ok just make sure it dual wields and is hasted. Slows shouldn't be necessary imho if you fight things that don't eat 1.7 pets per mob. Stick to dungeons period, the ZEM bonus makes outdoor zones look stupid lame. Aaand finally, soloing is gonna be your "best" xp (by a retarded amount sadly) but grouping/duoing is where the actual fun is. It's a long way to 60 I suggest making friends while you go!

Glorindale
05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Charm. It's really the only way.

Actually I solo'd early and often without charm. You'd be surprise how OP the chanter pet is.

Root -> engage pet by taking damage -> slow/debuff/dot/nuke

tokso
05-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm 48 and still leveling quickly and easily with my regular pet. Very little downtime if you use your rune to eat the damage you have to take to make your pet attack.