PDA

View Full Version : Situation: Filling the last spot in your group...

Friday
05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
You've got a balanced group put together already. You need 1 more person; a dps.

The only two people available are a wizard and a ranger. Equal level and of good character.

Who do you choose and why?

azeth
05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
If the situation is in regards to an experience grind: Wizard due to a far lesser exp penalty.

If the situation is in regards to an item camp: Ranger for more utility, root/snare/heals.

Messianic
05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I play a wizard, and i'd probably choose the ranger.

I haven't parsed it (which is why I say "probably"), but the wizard is probably doing less sustained damage during fights.

Maybe if I was camping something that was caster or healer heavy (which is most high-end dungeons, now that i think about it) - in that case, i'd go wizard.

Knightmare
05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Really would need more info. Some things depend, like on your lvls and the mobs you're killing. Is it a melee heavy group? Are you fighting mobs with a d/s? Are there healers in the pulls, or groups, where big burst/aoe is more useful? Have you an enchanter in group with caster buffs or a shaman with melee buffs?

Most groups, it just doesn't matter that much. But there are times where it's situational. And if you're truly going to go by 'prime' class for the absolute optimal group, then it would depend entirely on the situation. Different classes excel in different areas, and at different times.

While any great player can make it a good group, regardless of class, there are always situations to consider either way, and that's what would make my mind up: what do we need most for what this group is doing right now.

If that doesn't matter, then grab whoever's first or most wanted by the group and just have fun. That's main point after all!

Ihealyou
05-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Just stick with 5 people.

Versus
05-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Just stick with 5 people.

this

Kassel
05-11-2011, 11:39 AM
wait for a monk or rogue to log in

falkun
05-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Screw the min-maxing, send a tell to both and whoever responds/arrives first gets the spot. If you've already fulfilled "the holy trinity", just fill spots. Assuming everyone's a decent player you will kill faster than you would sitting around with your thumb up your butts pondering this question.

Stop worrying about what is "best" and worry about what is "fun". This isn't your job where you are trying to optimize your work, this is a game where you are trying to enjoy the time the most.

YendorLootmonkey
05-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Fill it with a ranger. It's easier to tell when the ranger goes AFK for 75% of the time.

Messianic
05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Fill it with a ranger. It's easier to tell when the ranger goes AFK for 75% of the time.

This.

Also, the tags on this thread are awesome.

Dr4z3r
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
In CoM or KC, the ranger.

In Seb or Chardok, the wizard (evac).

eqravenprince
05-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Melee dps is almost always better. Although if my group was Warrior, Cleric, and 3 Wizards, sure I'd add another Wizard.

falkun
05-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Melee dps is almost always better. Although if my group was Warrior, Cleric, and 3 Wizards, sure I'd add another Wizard.

I'd be looking for a bard/enc at that point. Mana regen at high levels without crack/mana battery is slow.

Ingrum
05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
The only time I would ever group with a ranger is if my other choice was a wizard named Friday. Can't stand that guy.

Shadey
05-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Screw this exp penalty crap I hear people whining about. IT DOESN'T MATTER! If someone says it does they are full of it. Get the person in the group you feel best fits the group. If a ranger fits better then choose the ranger. If wizzy choose the wizzy.

Fists
05-11-2011, 04:18 PM
would love to see a same level wizard out dps my ranger!

Dr4z3r
05-11-2011, 05:12 PM

With one of you medding and the other dead, we all know it's just going to be a tie.

Wizard
05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Deff a very situational thing - Although I think most people would go with a Wizard due to the ranger stereotype's.

YendorLootmonkey
05-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Easy, just select a 5-second time horizon.

Wotsirb401
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Most likely ranger. They seem to both be rare classes in P1999, What Yendor said, Wizzie can nuke /sit /gas station run , /stand /nuke , /date with wife, /sleep, /ding =)

Fists
05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
shhh yendor, we need to look more appealing.

YendorLootmonkey
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
shhh yendor, we need to look more appealing.

Right, oops. RANGERS DO SO MUCH DAMAGE OVER A TIME HORIZON OF ZERO, THAT IT IS UNDEFINED!!!