PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand cleric spells

Lamprey
05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi guys,

Stupid newb question. I remember, from playing way back in the day, that casters would get their spells every few levels (mages get spells at 4, 8, 12, etc.). I thought priests got their spells the same way, at lvl 5, 9, 14, 19, etc. But when I look up eq1 cleric spells, they're listed for each level - there's some lvl 1 spells, some lvl 2, 3, and so on.

So what's the deal? Does my lvl 3 cleric need to hit 5 before being able to upgrade spells? Could anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!

quellren
05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Use this.
http://www.pro1999.com/cleric-spells.html

The spells you see listed in ZAM every level are from the great 'dumbing-down' revamp.

falkun
05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Where are you looking up your cleric spells? The wiki shows clerics getting spells at discrete levels and is probably more accurate than ZAM for P99.

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Cleric

Asfasfos
05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Does my lvl 3 cleric need to hit 5 before being able to upgrade spells?

Yes it does, you are not looking to a classic spell list, look in the wiki that falkun linked you

baalzy
05-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Live revamped the spell system so that every casters get new spells every level, theres also a boatload of spells from other expansions that you won't be able to use here so those aren't very good resources. Use the p99 wiki that other people have linked.

falkun
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
For my own curiosity, when was this "spell every level" or "the great-dumbing down" (as quel put it) patch? I left EQ around 2004 and it hadn't happened yet as far as I know (to be fair, my pally was max level, so he didn't have any more levels to get spells and my bard...well bards always got a spell every level).

Lamprey
05-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Perfect! Thanks guys.

RiffDaemon
05-12-2011, 01:27 PM
For my own curiosity, when was this "spell every level" or "the great-dumbing down" (as quel put it) patch? I left EQ around 2004 and it hadn't happened yet as far as I know (to be fair, my pally was max level, so he didn't have any more levels to get spells and my bard...well bards always got a spell every level).

Probably around the time Serpent's Spine came out, when they introduced the new resting feature and such.

RiffDaemon
05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Ah! Found it. It came a little after Dragons of Norrath:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2005-1.html
------------------------------
May 11, 2005
------------------------------

*** Headlines ***

-Many quests in city zones that give XP as a reward now give significantly more.
-Four new missions are available that take you back to Qeynos, Unrest, Befallen,
and Hate's Fury.
-Veteran's Rewards will be available on May 13th. You can find out more details about
these rewards here.
-The required levels on many spells level 50 and below have been changed so that all
casting classes will now receive at least 1 new spell every level.
-Great new functionality has been added to the mail system. Some of the major features
are listed below, but also check the bottom of the patch message for details.
-Multiple recipients, including a dynamically generated guild mailing list.
-EverQuest mail forwarding. You can now have your EverQuest mail forwarded to the e-mail
address registered with the station account of the character you are playing. NOTE: you
cannot reply to the forwarded mail.
-New Address Book. You can now setup mailing lists on your client and store your friend's
addresses in your address book.