PDA

View Full Version : Project 99 is very boring.

Truthful
05-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Not only does the server feel very synthetic, leveling is extremely slow. Maybe speed up leveling to 100% xp bonus permanently and I'd consider playing here. Currently level 20, and gave up half way through. Killing orcs in highpass is NOT enjoyable for 3 hours to get a level, sorry.

Maybe it's actually fun at max level, but I doubt it. Leveling just takes away the fun.

Prince
05-12-2011, 05:06 PM
o

ukaking
05-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Have fun on your next WoW raid!

Doors
05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey bro theres always world of warcraft. I heard all you need to do is slam your face into your keyboard and whenever you regain consciousness you'll be max level.

Enjoy grinding the same dungeons with no end in sight for the same exact gear everyone else has.

hedbonker
05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
See ya.

Shadey
05-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Enjoy WoW. Its the instant gratification your looking for.

toddfx
05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Enjoy WoW. Its the instant gratification your looking for.

Word.

To the OP: You are free to go but just remember you'll never be truly L33T if you quit Everquest at level 20.

Lamprey
05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
This is classic EQ man, the way things used to be. Once you get past the difficulty, you'll find a game that's way more rewarding than anything else, precisely because it's difficult.

To paraphrase JFK:
"We choose to go to EQ and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Widan
05-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Enjoy grinding the same dungeons with no end in sight for the same exact gear everyone else has.

Let me introduce you to everquest raiding

Zeakus
05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
You guys just got troll'd

No way would that guy make it to lvl 20 and say that... Maybe level 6 or so.

Jave
05-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Don't let the door hit ya.............

Bruno
05-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Not only does the server feel very synthetic, leveling is extremely slow. Maybe speed up leveling to 100% xp bonus permanently and I'd consider playing here. Currently level 20, and gave up half way through. Killing orcs in highpass is NOT enjoyable for 3 hours to get a level, sorry.

Maybe it's actually fun at max level, but I doubt it. Leveling just takes away the fun.

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss107/kpkenney07/76718144.jpg

muddy27
05-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Go play one of those instant gratification games there are plenty or you could always go play another game were your instant this or instant that. Hell why not just ask for some gold bars on a platter im sure someone would just instantly give them to you. :rolleyes:

Athosblack
05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Why would you even post this? Get the eff out

danus
05-12-2011, 06:01 PM

nub

nymphloa
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM

EEeerrr who are ya!

Pico
05-12-2011, 06:03 PM
heh noob go back to ur world of "warcraft"

strokes neckbeard

--------
intel f43x 9548888 processor
28.3gb or superram
radeon HD 696969 fuckyea card

Bruno
05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
strokes neckbeard

Video or it didn't happen.

muddy27

strokes neckbeard

--------
28.3gb or superram

woah! you have a neckbeard pics or its not real. Also thats a pimp pc rig you got bro.

RiffDaemon

strokes neckbeard

--------
28.3gb or superram

Bwahahahahhaa

Frostyglitch
05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Clearly OP didn't play EQ back in the day. Because the fun of this game is the reward gained from NOT being able to hit level 50 in one day. The adventures you have along the way and the friends you make during this journey is the reason classic EQ is still alive today after a decade of crap being released from other wannabe's.

No hand holding, no care bares, just hardcore game play that rewards you incredibly for the time put in.

/sprays troll be gone

guineapig
05-12-2011, 06:18 PM

I wish I would have seen a post like this before I leveled up all those characters to 50... :(

stormlord
05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I have to partially agree with this, while in the same sentence, admit that in the past I've played in exactly the same manner with no complaints. I guess it really depends on different factors. If I was in a zone I had been in before a hundred times then i'd bore a lot quicker. If it was my first time and we weren't getting killed too much or we weren't having to find something that wasn't camped by someone else then I think it would be bearable and I could pass the time by chatting about sh**. If I was just in a good mood then anything will do.

I've found that - if I'm getting bored - going to a different zone or making money in a low level zone or playing an alt or just playing a different game altogether can help. Sometimes you just need to do something else that makes you feel again like you're progressing. And sometimes you just need a break. Kind of a vacation. I think it has a lot to do with how new this game is to you, however. I've played it way too much over the years to be inspired by it much anymore. Sometimes I do. It's not like I know every zone equally well. Some of them I hardly know at all. But even then, this game is the same game no matter what zone you're in.

There comes a point when you're playing EQ that you look past your level and see other things. If you don't focus on getting level 50 or doing raids then it's easy to look past it. But if you can't and raiding is what you want, then you just need to master the art of indirection or get a uber friend.

But beyond all these things I've said so far I do think EQ could use some changes. I notice a lot of people wanting to increase experience because they think that'll make it better. In my mind, this is a mistaken idea. First of all, when level 50 was the max, you wouldn't want people leveling up too fast with nothing to do at the top. The game would kill itself before they even get a chance to experience it. This game is in the many moments between 1 and 50. It's HOW the experience unfolds that matters, not how rapidly it does so. Let me try to explain ...

Camping is probably one of the worst mechanics in this game that I can think of. We're encouraged to sit in one place to ensure our safety and maximize our effectiveness. The longer you stay in one area, the more you learn about it, and the safer you become. The way named spawn further encourages us to stay in one place until they pop. They almost always pop in a certain place and once you find the PH you just kill it over and over. Thirdly, competition for camps can suffocate a group and force it to stay in one area regardless of its desires or capabilities. All of these traits that accompany camping lead to grind and repetitiveness. Players get bored. Increasing the experience will not remove the underlying problem. Without attacking the vulnerability at its source you ensure its survival in some other form.

And then there's hte fact that EQ punishes mistakes, sometimes severely. In a few of my other posts I've referenced this. Evil should be punished, not mistakes. Mistakes are almost always made. They're the one single thing about human beings that's common amongst all of us. We just can't make enough mistakes. This game hunts down every instance of fault and punches you in the gut and throws you over the cliff in response to each one. It's not very friendly. So, of course, to address the experience we would also have to give our attention to what EQ does and how it does it. Above all, replace the punishment with learning. That's what players want to be doing. Nobody learns anything while running back after dying, especially after the nth time. That doesn't mean death should be removed as a mechanic. Perhaps it could still remain but in a funner or more engaging form. Anyway...

And about afking and soloing... this game should give feign death or something like it to most or all classes. The fact that it can be so difficult to pause this game when real life happens is a crime. That's one of the reasons it can be such a drain. But another is the fact that soloing can be so hard for some classes. I understand that's one of hte sacrifices warriors make, but sometimes a guy doens't have much time and soloing is all he cna afford. If there was some way to be a temporary soloing warrior, as opposed to a group-dependent warrior, it would be beneficial. But this game doesn't allow us to temporarily change our class in big ways.

And then there's the classes and how the game changes at high levels. I think the fact that I started as a ranger in 1999 was the reason I liked EQ back then. If I had picked a warrior or rogue or a group-dependent class I feel very strongly that my feelings about this game would have been very different. AS a ranger I had a lot of flexibility in what I could do. I could solo. I had an interesting class. I could melee AND cast spells and use track to explore a zone. I trained fletching - loved my bow. I thought of myself as a tank too. It kept me interested. And I never leveled up very high back then. I had 13 days /played for about 3 months of play and was only level 13. I had a lot of fun exploring everywhere. I didn't care how slow it was because I didn't know level 13 was low. I was too stupid to know. But anyway, if I had leveled up higher I might have seen the hell levels or might have had to run further to get my corpse. The game tends to get harder the higher your level is. In summary, not having experienced high level back then I'm sure that also impacted my perspective.

I'm missing a LOT. I'd like to go over mudflation too. But I'll end it here. My point is that increasing experience is glossing over all of the flaws underneath the surface. Ignore those at your own peril. That's all I gots to say.

Daywolf
05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
3o3...
...EoE
er.. MoM
ugh ...WoW
This aint WoW.
EQ

Frostyglitch
05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
That's all I gots to say.

Is that all? :) Be sure to warn us when you decide to write a long post. :D

AreYouAngered MyBrother
05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
This young buck probably participated in one of those sports leagues that awarded trophies to everyone.

Goosefabba
05-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I bet he breast fed till 10

Dirtnap
05-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I bet he breast fed till 10

Must be big and strong then.

Pudge
05-12-2011, 06:41 PM
what you need is some PVP to spice it up

stormlord
05-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Must be big and strong then.Why did someone go and mentione breasts. Know I got that'll on my mind all day.

loyk85
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Umadbro?

Zenlina
05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Should have join the server before Kunark it was like all

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8501/zenlinazerg.gif

Now TR taken this concept to the next level, so hurry up and join the rush ;)

Torven
05-12-2011, 07:06 PM
You know what bores the shit out of me?

Soloing to the level cap.

Every mob outside of dungeons being easily soloed.

Quest based progression that has you do the exact same easily soloed quests in the exact same order every time, preventing you from leveling in different areas or grouping with anybody not doing the same quest as you are.

Replacing your equipment every single level with loot derived from some formula which was awarded by an easily soloed quest that everybody completes which had absolutely nothing to do with the item in the first place.

Every dungeon being instanced, turning the game into Diablo, preventing any interaction with anybody outside your clique, making the game entirely predictable and every dungeon run exactly the same, making any sort of loot drop unrewarding because everybody can and does get it.

Every item being bind on equip ruining any sort of economy.

All buffs doing virtually nothing, because god forbid they actually be required to do certain content or require resources to cast.

Almost zero travel time to anywhere, making the world a very small place with no remoteness anywhere and reducing the need to interact with other players for assistance even further.

Zero twinking or powerleveling to enjoy the fruits of your labors after leveling to the cap. (which took a week anyway)

Unsubbing because you had literally nothing left to do in the game because all of the content was consumed in a month.

Nitholias01
05-12-2011, 08:01 PM
You know what bores the shit out of me?

Soloing to the level cap.

Every mob outside of dungeons being easily soloed.

Quest based progression that has you do the exact same easily soloed quests in the exact same order every time, preventing you from leveling in different areas or grouping with anybody not doing the same quest as you are.

Replacing your equipment every single level with loot derived from some formula which was awarded by an easily soloed quest that everybody completes which had absolutely nothing to do with the item in the first place.

Every dungeon being instanced, turning the game into Diablo, preventing any interaction with anybody outside your clique, making the game entirely predictable and every dungeon run exactly the same, making any sort of loot drop unrewarding because everybody can and does get it.

Every item being bind on equip ruining any sort of economy.

All buffs doing virtually nothing, because god forbid they actually be required to do certain content or require resources to cast.

Almost zero travel time to anywhere, making the world a very small place with no remoteness anywhere and reducing the need to interact with other players for assistance even further.

Zero twinking or powerleveling to enjoy the fruits of your labors after leveling to the cap. (which took a week anyway)

Unsubbing because you had literally nothing left to do in the game because all of the content was consumed in a month.

Why does this sound so familiar... o WAIT!

Daywolf
05-12-2011, 08:04 PM
But even then, this game is the same game no matter what zone you're in.Eh, not really, I mean some zones imo are boring, at least to me. I pretty much play in Faydwer, just my thing. HHK vs. Unrest, hands down Unrest can get really intense and creepy-ish. I ran my main into Antonica here, starting in Surefall, finally wound up rerolling for a Faydwer character yet again. G/L Faydark, Steamfont, CB, Unrest, CM just never get old. Then I work my way to KC; the best of Kunark. About the only Antonica zone I stop by is Everfrost, though semi-boring, it's a nice pp farm early on. Karanas are ok too, depending on the class. The only downside about Fay here is that no one is outside the bank in Kelethin selling stuff as it was on pre-pop live. Aint 50-100 people sitting around the spires 24/7.

Camping is great, I hate games where you constantly move getting win-win tokens with gold star stickers... that everyone gets. Taking forever to get someplace to camp makes the game-world seem huge as an mmo should be, and effort to travel just like in rl but far easier. The only real improvement that could have happened to EQ is it becoming a sandbox game (for EQ2), as EQ2 should have been rather than the dismal failure of instanced mess it launched as (that Blizzard copied and excessively marketed as the thing all the cool kids play).

EQ is a real time-sink game. Casual play exists, you take months or years to max, casually. Play to play, not play to win! Start to burn out on grinding HHK for the 30th time? take a break and play an alt, maybe craft a stack of afternoon tea.

Tiggles
05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Posting in a troll thread.

Well done

mwatt
05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
OP,

The most fun of all is in the journey, not in being at the destination.