PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting a character.

Passau
05-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I played on the Al'Kabor server until recently.

I have a few questions. (I think the first one has been answered).

I have a relative that enjoys playing when he visits. He does not have his own computer, but he lives close by and often plays on my computer when I am doing other things. It sounds like I need to get an IP address exception if I wish him to have his own account and to play on my computer.

The next thing is that I am a tradeskiller, I think I would have one main and eventually an alt and 6 mules. It sounds like boxxing even for transfers is forbidden. I think I transfer stuff too frequently to mules to always be expecting the assistance of other players. Dropping stuff on the ground seems quite risky, the item can poof before the mule grabs it. Does using ovens, pottery wheels, kilns, etc work. And if it does is there much risk of a dishonest player helping themselves? Is there any effective way to transfer items to mules without having to always bother other players?

I have been shopping for Titanium. Looks like it cost $20 in January. Now it cost $84. I can still get Secrets of Faydwer for under $20. Is Titanium worth quadruple SoF? What am I losing if I get SoF instead?

And my last question is about what class to play. I know, play what you enjoy. However, I enjoy playing many classes. I am not worried about getting to level 60. I know I can do it with any class, it just takes time. The classes I am thinking about playing are cleric, rogue, warrior, enchanter, or bard. Which of these classes is most needed for level 60 raiding?

Messianic
05-13-2011, 03:26 PM
There are cheaper ways to get titanium. This is a great server, and worth the time. Do some googling.

I hope I haven't been too forward...

Also, don't ask which class is needed. Ask which class you'll enjoy more. Guilds need people who love their class more than any other more than they need X class.

Supaskillz
05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
In my opinion the class in shortest supply for raids is bards. Bard resists are pretty huge on dragon raids imo and will matter more if some of the smaller guilds want to race dragons with small numbers. That being said I am sure you will be able to raid with any of the above characters.

soup
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
You only need an IP exemption if you and your relative were trying to play at the same time from the same IP. If you log off then he logs on, no need for IP exemption (although there is a 3-4 minute delay between one account logging off and before another can log in from the same IP since the IP needs to clear)

If you're transferring to the same account (so theres no 3-4 minute IP clear delay) ground transfers are generally pretty safe as long as you've planned ahead and have both chars camped at the same isolated spot. I haven't used the tradeskill stuff for transfers, so I don't know. Most people are honest, but some people definitely would be more than happy to take your stuff. You shouldn't have problem finding people in EC to help you transfer though, especially as you're starting out and aren't rich. Most people wont jack your pelts and silks or whatever, but I would avoid asking shady looking naked level 1 characters.

From what I understand, Titanium is much preferred since SoF will have issues, but I haven't used it so can't fully comment.

Not gonna recommend a class, you need to pick what you want to play. You would be able to raid with any of those classes.

Dantes
05-13-2011, 04:05 PM
The effective way to do transfers is to make friends and ask them to help you with a transfer. At any given time there's 5-6 people I know in EC who will transfer for me. This is an online game with living and breathing people, be social :)

Kobias
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Just throwing a few tips out there for you, for your decisions :) Not sure if you've played in classic before, and some of these might come as a surprise.

You can only have one tradeskill above 100 (or is it 50?), iirc. per Character.
Bards cannot /melody. You'll need to twist manually.
Theres no OOC (out of combat) mana regen
Transfers are best done via a friend. They can make a level 1 alt in any city you need. I'm usually always happy to assist in transfers, provided I'm not teamed. Look me up if you need at some point.
Ground Transfers are safe as a 2nd resort; items don't decay for several minutes on the ground, so you'd have plenty of time to camp/return. I would recommend some place out of the way, like freeport/qeynos sewers.
Corpse runs -- when you die, your stuff is on your body.
Warrior's cannot invis or gate (OT Hammer?). I always found this a handicap I personally couldn't bare. When you die, you're pretty much helpless to defend yourself as well.
Enchanter's don't have Breeze ATM from what I've heard.
Clerics get paid very well for resses, but expect mass tells.
No translocators. Expect long waits/rides on boats =)
You cannot bind @ Timorous Deep Firepots anymore (/sigh)
Gfaydark area is probably the most popular/populated Newbie Starting area, with the exception of Iksar Noob land.
Leveling is very slow here, or can be. Don't let it discourage you, find a good team/guild and socialize =)
Most classes/Races have Experience Penalties or Bonuses. Check the Wiki if you're interested in minimizing/maximizing your XP Gain. (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics#Experience_Penalties)

Shadey
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Great Post Kobias. :)

Simonlol
05-13-2011, 04:39 PM
There are cheaper ways to get titanium. This is a great server, and worth the time. Do some googling.

Hahaha, smooth! :cool:

Shadey
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Choosing the Best Class for Your Playing Style
http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Choosing_the_Best_Class_for_Your_Playing_Style

Passau
05-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank you for your answers.

It sounds like both I and my relative can have an account from the same ISP. an exception is needed only we plan to be on at the same time. For the foreseeable future, we will not be playing at the same time. So no exception is needed.

For transfers, it sounds best to have the assistance of friends and stuff stays on the ground for a few minutes. No one every answered about using forges, ovens, kilns, looms, etc for transfers. Do items ever decay in them? (besides server resets) Also someone brought up a good point about the number of tradeskills one can have over 100, I thought the limit was only one skill over 200.

As far as downloading an illegal copy of titanium, I would prefer not to do that. Would anyone familiar with SoF please tell me if they had any additional problems getting EQ running and if they notice anything different in the game because they used SoF instead of Titanium? The $65 - $70 savings of SoF is significant to me.

As for what class to play, I am going to rephrase my question. Thank you for telling me to play the class I enjoy. I agree, that is very important. I mentioned 5 classes previously. I am thinking about starting a cleric. I am still considering the other 4 classes I mentioned though. My question now is: Is it easier for clerics to get groups that most other classes. Also, do the raiding guilds need more clerics?

Shadey
05-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Of the classes listed I'd rate them in this order for ease of getting groups. Cleric, Enchanter, Bard, Rogue and then Warrior.

Also this is situation depending on what zone your LFG in.

Nineran
05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Clerics are in massive demand. For raiding and grouping. If you enjoy playing a cleric you will have no issue finding groups. I find clerics and warriors are the hardest to come by for groups. But I'm a bard so I don't run into the Bard/Ench issue.

mjrau
05-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Slice of fried gold there

degenvf
05-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Also, don't ask which class is needed. Ask which class you'll enjoy more. Guilds need people who love their class more than any other more than they need X class.

rofl :)

Morlaeth
05-14-2011, 09:27 PM

I see what you did there.

MegamanXZOBMV
05-14-2011, 10:59 PM
When it comes to the differences between the Titanium and Secrets of Faydwer clients, I can offer no advice as I've gotten neither myself. But, due to the rarity of Titanium and the price tag associated with the ones I can find, I'll likely be getting SoF and I get let you know how it works out for me. As some others may have pointed out, there's other ways of ..erm.. acquiring .. Titanium, but I wouldn't recommend it. However unlikely the proposition of getting in hot water for using that method, it's still possible. I did a lot of stuff like that up until recently, when my ISP threatened to shut down my internet for torrenting a game I actually own.

I don't know how putting items in crafting objects works, I've never done it, but when I played EQ Live, I can distinctly remember many occasions where I just put something on the ground, logged out & back in, and retrieved it without it suddenly disappearing or getting picked up. The only instance I recall where that didn't work was when I did it near the Freeport bank.. and it was a very bad choice of location of my part.

As for classes, The Cleric and the Warrior are definitely going to get you in the groups, and Enchanters and Bards stand a good chance. I know a good Enchanter is always welcome, and when I played EQ up until GoD a Bard generally was high in demand. I don't see why a Rogue wouldn't get many groups, but I never got too far into a Rogue so I can't say for sure. The Rogue and Warrior may have some difficulty later on if they can't find a group, but I don't think that will be a problem, especially for the warrior. I can safely say that I leveled my Half-Elf Warrior up to 40 with soloing (and the occasional group) and the original and Kunark-expansion zones. It only took forever.

For raiding, I'd say a Wizard, Cleric, or Warrior.. Cleric or Warrior given your list. Unfortunately, I haven't raided on P99 yet, so don't take my word for it, that's just my assumption.