PDA

View Full Version : How does Stamina relate to how many HP you have?

dusk883
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I did a search and didn't see anything, curious how each Stamina point translates to Hit Points? Does it change depending on level? Class?

I ask because I want to be a Human Warrior and torn between Hit Points or Strength... anything to lower my downtime as I suspect I'll *have* to solo some with my schedule.

Thanks again for this server... its amazing to be back in old school EQ

Pescador
05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
sta >> str for a warrior. you just need to proc and then absorb damage.

Messianic
05-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Stamina...Does it change depending on level? Class?

Both. Tank classes get far better STA returns than casters, and that return increases with level.

I ask because I want to be a Human Warrior and torn between Hit Points or Strength...

This is a pretty frequently discussed topic. If we're talking about starting stats, you're probably best off making sure your AGI is 75 (I can't remember if humans have that naturally, I think so), and pumping your points into STA. Why, you ask? Because STR comes very, very quickly from high-end gear and gets maxed easily. STA doesn't max as easily.

But that's just from a min-max perspective. It's not a gigantic deal as long as you don't pump all str - which would kind of be a waste end-game.

anything to lower my downtime as I suspect I'll *have* to solo some with my schedule.

Extra hp won't decrease your downtime, since your regeneration rate is constant. Also, do not expect to solo as a warrior, at all, unless you're buffed or twinked or level 8 or below.

baalzy
05-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Aye, unfortunately if you want to play a tank type but have a schedule that won't really allow you to group very often roll a paladin or a shadow knight. SKs can fear kite and Paladin can kill undead solo pretty effectively (especially if you get a Ghoulbane early).

If you just want to play a melee who is also capable of solo, go monk. Bind wounds/Mend help with your downtime coupled with good damage mitigation & high damage output make it possible to solo fairly well.

If you don't care about being a melee at all, then necro/shaman/druid/magician/bard are all quite capable of soloing (well bards CAN melee, but it's more effective to use your songs w/ appropriate instruments).

As a completely brand newbie your first time playing and you want to play a melee class, I'd suggest either going 10str/15 sta or 15str/10 sta (depends on which race you pick).

Somebody who is making a twink would likely just go all Sta since they'll be able to load up on +str right away.

dusk883
05-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all the great info... yeah, the downtime thing is going to kill me I suppose. Maybe I do need to roll a Paladin after all.

Messianic
05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the great info... yeah, the downtime thing is going to kill me I suppose. Maybe I do need to roll a Paladin after all.

If you want to solo, SK is a much better route. They have many of the same tools Paladins have and more.

SK fear-kiting is actually much more effective on undead given mana costs of regular fear vs undead fear, cast time, etc.

SK's also have the massive utility of being the only melee class with access to self invis, invis to undead, See invis, and FD.

SK's also are virtually the same as Paladins in anti-undead DD once you hit your high 50s (Paladins only get their highest undead DD one level prior to SKs getting the same spell).

Although, it is really nice to have Greater and Superior Healing in a pinch...

dusk883
05-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Hadn't considered SK until you brought that up... I think I liked Paladin for the LoH as I make crappy decisions and thought Lull would let me single pull more often when solo. Only really played an Enchanter and Necro, always wanted to melee and wear PLATE for some reason since then.

Knuckle
05-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Lifetaps end fights quicker than heals. Clerics are terrible soloers while necros are one of the top solo classes.

Kika Maslyaka
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
these numbers may not be exact, but should be very close:

at lev 50:

warrior - 4.5hp from 1 STA
paly/sk - 3.8hp from 1 STA
cleric - 2.5hp from 1 STA
INT casters - 2hp from 1 STA

and yes it scales up with level.

karsten
05-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Paladin can kill undead solo pretty effectively (especially if you get a Ghoulbane early).

go get a ghoulbane on your paladin and then go into lguk, say, at level 40

then laugh at yourself