PDA

View Full Version : Need Motivation To Play - Suggestions?

brutall
05-22-2011, 05:37 PM
From 1999-2004 I played EverQuest, and I had some fantastic and exciting times with friends, my guild, etc. However, more than ten years later, I am now in a very successful World of Warcraft guild, work 40 hours a week, desire to spend time with my gal and I have an all around pretty good existence. I remember EverQuest very fondly, and nothing will ever change that.

Yet, I'm afraid to come back for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons is that I'm afraid the controls will be too dated. In WoW I rely on my mouse for so much: movement, abilities, attacking. In EQ, if I recall correctly, you can't click through your character, you can't hold both mouse buttons down to move forward, and it's just an old style that I don't think I'd enjoy anymore. Is what I recall correct? If so, what have you all done to get around/over it?

The other reason is that I raid three nights a week in WoW, and work/spend time with my girlfriend on the other nights. I don't plan on making P1999 an everyday event, but if I do start to play it, I will eventually reach level cap, and knowing myself the way I do, I know I'll want to raid to some degree. All of this leads me to ask, "How is raiding on the server?".

I view P1999 as something I can do once or twice a week for short sessions and enjoy, but I'm just so stinkin' afraid of the controls. I enjoy the smoothness you experience in controlling your character in WoW. I enjoy having time to raid and live my life the way that I do right now. Do I need to be concerned for either with P1999?

Sinlea
05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
I took a break from p99 and played a little bit of WoW and got bored. It wasn't too bad after coming back. I played here with asdw for movement and always use my mouse to turn and look around. I play in third person and it can be annoying when you want to click something and you end up clicking yourself instead, but you get over it. It's not game breaking stuff, really.

Lorastine
05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Uh, you can use your mouse to move forward. You just can't bind the side buttons to strafe or anything else. Also I played in a very hardcore "Successful" WoW guild for a long time - and playing Everquest even now is so much better. There's much more involvement to the game itself, and in WoW I always felt like it was just the same thing over and over and it never took much to figure things out. Not to mention that everything new is always released with beta videos, etc so most people don't even make their own strats.

EQ is a community, can you think of friends you have on WoW that aren't part of your raiding guild? I never could, unless I PvP'd with them - heh.

Kika Maslyaka
05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
well the P99 uses Titanium era interface, so its actually 2006 UI rather than original 1999 ;)

Yes you can move around with mouse, but from 3rd person view (from above and beyond like its common to wow) and camera movement while in 3rd person view, is it not as smooth as in wow, and takes time to get used to

your biggest issue most likely will be the difficulty curve of the game itself. The game was designed with group play in mind.
So you log in, spend 30 min gathering a group, 30 min getting to destination, killing mobs sitting on same spot for 2 hours, etc. Unless you play a good solo class - like Necro, you won't achieve much in short term sessions.

You feel that you will be really under time constrains, I would suggest trying out one of the other custom servers on Emu, which offer more relax gameplay, like The Hidden Forest for example.

Troy
05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
The other reason is that I raid three nights a week in WoW, and work/spend time with my girlfriend on the other nights. I don't plan on making P1999 an everyday event, but if I do start to play it, I will eventually reach level cap, and knowing myself the way I do, I know I'll want to raid to some degree. All of this leads me to ask, "How is raiding on the server?".

I view P1999 as something I can do once or twice a week for short sessions and enjoy, but I'm just so stinkin' afraid of the controls. I enjoy the smoothness you experience in controlling your character in WoW. I enjoy having time to raid and live my life the way that I do right now. Do I need to be concerned for either with P1999?

FYI: At 5 hours a week, it would likely take you 2+ years to reach level 60 if you don't play a solo class - especially if you play an untwinked melee character. My ubertwinked ranger has over 8 days /played, mostly in marathon xp sessions with little exploring/questing, and is level 44.

Honestly if I could only play once or twice a week for short sessions I'd be playing WoW instead of EQ. This game is not made to be played in a casual manner at all.

Odeseus
05-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Echoing the above post. If you're under a time constraint, seriously consider playing a solo class if you're planning on playing at all. 1-50 as a mage in almost no gear will not take very long if you know what zones to go to. And gear as a mage is almost irrelevant. Just get your torch focus item and you could hit 50 naked. Gets rougher 50-60 though but not impossible.

As a mage, I often logged in for an hour or two and got a decent chunk of xp and felt like I progressed. You just have to remember that you will NEVER be as good as someone who plays nearly 24/7. If you're okay with not having the best gear/max level immediately, you'll do fine. If you really want to be "the best on server" or something like that, you will epically fail and you will hate it. It all comes down to your expectations and your attitude. And no one can speak for you in that aspect. You have to decide for yourself.

As for raiding, it is random because boss spawns are pretty random. If you want to raid the top content, be prepared to sink a ton of time into it and/or literally be on call to log in if a boss pops. I have no idea how you would "schedule" a raid here unless it is just farming Hate/Fear, and even then, someone could have gone up recently and the whole thing might be down. Again, if you really want to raid, be prepared to sink some time into it.

Eldaran
05-23-2011, 08:23 AM
It's free to come back and try and for me being in this game again is the greatest breath of virtual air i've had in years. I will never play WoW again and haven't for months. I tried to play Rift for a little bit but ended up coming here and it was the nail in the coffin. You have nothing to lose by coming here to try things out. You will always have your life and WoW to fall back on. If you enjoyed this game back in the day then there is a ton of nostalgia waiting for you.

etplante
05-23-2011, 09:59 AM
If you need motivation to play, can only play a few hours a week, but still want to raid and are afraid of outdated controls...I'd say you probably won't be very successful here. Your best chance is to roll a pet/solo class but honestly that's just not the way EQ circa Kunark era was designed to be played. But then again this is free so no harm in giving it a shot.

Nagash
05-23-2011, 10:47 AM
As Odesseus and Troy highlighted, if you have very limited time to play (10 hourish per week), it will take you donkey's years to reach the level cap so I wouldn't worry about this yet. The only 2 advises I can give you (that have already been given to you by others) are to play a class that can solo (at least the few time when you log in won't be spent LFG) and.. to try it :) It's free, come back and see what you think about it. The interface is not exactly what it was in 99 (more user friendly now) and the server is nice and lively with a lot of good peeps around. Hope you will like it.
Welcome back home :)

Petitpas/Nagash

Dazen
05-23-2011, 10:56 AM
There are a ton of douchebags that play here dont be fooled

Supaskillz
05-23-2011, 11:37 AM
You will be able to raid a couple of nights per week if you are interested in raiding plane of hate and fear, although its hard to even consider these raids post kunark since a single group of 55+ can do well in them. If you want to raid dragons it is simply not possible. There is a huge amount of competition for high end content and as soon as a dragon spawns it is race between the guilds to engage it first. Thus you have to be able to log in on a whim to participate in dragon raids. I think you would want to carefully consider which guild is right for you given your constraints. I know at least a couple of guilds at this time that raid a few nights a week and do hate/fear/sky.

snwbrdr642
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
i raid in rift, we have the content down to 2 nights a week though, i also have a group of friends i play with.

if i felt like spending a lot of time in Rift outside of raids I probably wouldn't get very far here.