PDA

View Full Version : Debating on joining in...

Malianna
05-25-2011, 10:02 PM
so I just went to the Prog servers SoE just set up...

and i hate it. How is it here? I'm looking to see what the old EQ1 was like,sense I came in late Luclin and never really got to enjoy all the aspects :)

im also considering either a necromancer,ranger or some sort of healer this time,ive been a long time Warrior and need a change of pace.

Quick EDIT:

I do have the trilogy edition..would that work with running P99?

bakkily
05-25-2011, 10:21 PM
would you guys say luclin was partly classic or not even at all? i played original like a month after kunark came out, but only ran throuh like 6 zones back then to lvl, bb, great fay, cb then oasis of marr and blackburrow got like lvl 22 on a pally

then came back luclin, to get a guy to 25 before pop came out, but didnt get to 46 for like a year back then, i sorta feel luclins classic because you still have to port to the moon, i always felt anything before pop was classic

Kobias
05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
How is it here? I'm looking to see what the old EQ1 was like,sense I came in late Luclin and never really got to enjoy all the aspects :)

It's very close to original ideology. P1999 has it's own differences from classic; Not needing to stare at spellbooks for starters. Leveling is slow here, although if your capable of soloing yellows/reds consistently you'd go up a lot faster than classes who can't.

@Graphics: Old spell graphics, old wolves/skellies are in! (Brown Skeleton pets are NOT in, however. /sadface)

im also considering either a necromancer,ranger or some sort of healer this time,ive been a long time Warrior and need a change of pace.

Clerics are always in demand for rezzes; expect to get a lot of tells for buffs, and rezzes. some of them pay, some don't :-p

Necromancers are great soloers, and can easily handle reds in many situations. Due to their mana regen buffs, downtime is a lot less than say a wizard or a mage soloing.

Rangers, I can't comment on. I don't expect them to be able to solo well at all, unless you have tons and tons of arrows. Expect a slow level grind.

Quick EDIT:

That will not :(

You need EQ Titanium, which is available from friends or....other places. You don't need a CD Key or anything like that to play here, just something to install the required files.

Although Titanium includes some files post Kunark/Velious, they're not used. We mainly require the client files from Titanium so that EQEmu has a standard communication protocol.

would you guys say luclin was partly classic or not even at all? i played original like a month after kunark came out, but only ran throuh like 6 zones back then to lvl, bb, great fay, cb then oasis of marr and blackburrow got like lvl 22 on a pally

then came back luclin, to get a guy to 25 before pop came out, but didnt get to 46 for like a year back then, i sorta feel luclins classic because you still have to port to the moon, i always felt anything before pop was classic

Luclin was...decently classic, but a twist from the things end-game that we're used to. Luclin changed graphics of things, added new player models, Alternative advancement..etc. All of those things are NOT in here. I don't forsee this server ever unlocking Luclin. Most people here feel Luclin is the expansion in which EQ Started to divert from the classic-like environment.

I personally loved Luclin, except for the graphics changes & VexThal raiding. AA was OKAY, but many expansions later it created a skewed environment for those who have AAs and those who don't. /dislike

------

If you want to come on board, the best starting areas for better grouping opportunities is probably Greater Faydark (elves/dwarves/gnomes), followed by Iksar Field of Bone.

(Be sure to read XP Penalties from the Wiki on classes/races. Some classes have -40% XP! This makes them somewhat less desirable for groups, as they slow the leveling of their groupmembers too... as a warning to you.)

Eastern Commons is the trading zone, as per old-schoolness.

Give it a shot if you can find Titanium anywhere :)

Ronas
05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
so I just went to the Prog servers SoE just set up...

and i hate it. How is it here? I'm looking to see what the old EQ1 was like,sense I came in late Luclin and never really got to enjoy all the aspects :)

Quick EDIT:

I be honest and say i am not sure you can handle classic EQ since there is no zone maps (Except Newbie zones) and centralize port/trade area like nexus and Bazzarr. On top of all this you need to be in specific areas if you want ports to other areas like emerald jungle/skyfire you would need to be in a Kunark dungeon to get evac over there.

If you played on the new sony progress server , this server works similar but is 5 times harder in terms of lvling up your toon and getting around as well as corpse recovery. But you will have a higher sense of accomplishment if you overcome all the hardship on his server. It is as classic as you can get over any other server emu/live around.

San
05-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Mal, I like you came back for SOE's prog servers. Played for a bit and to be honest was enjoying myself some. A bit of the nostalgia of going into CB or Unrest was cool. Heard about this place and when Sony went down thought I would give it a try even though it seemed a bit difficult to do with my limited computer abilities. Well, while I enjoyed some of the aspects of the prog servers, this is much much much better. It isn't the ol, wow I remember this place, this is fun. It is more of the, I can't wait to get home from work to play because the game itself is fun. The prog servers imo had alot more pain in the butt players than this does. Alot of very welcoming and helpful people on this server. I used Titanium to play so I cannot offer advice on that part of your question, but I believe there are many ways to find Titanium. Also if you encounter any troubles after doing your Titanium install and the steps use Duxa's all in one thingy off the Technical boards here and it helps a bunch. Hope you get it all taken care of and get to come join in the fun. Like Ronas just said though, this is alot harder than prog servers. But to me that is part of what makes the game better.

Rotted_Corpse
05-26-2011, 01:41 AM
I remember playing for a while on the first prog server before I fully retired from eq1 live. This is much more fun here since the game isn't easier like it was even on the prog servers.

Necro's are a blast. Shoot me a tell in game if you need anything.

Rangers are fun too but there is a bit of a stigma to them here a bit. As is this mythical XP penalty (that hits the group) that some worry WAY too much about.

In the end play what is fun for you! Damn what anyone says about the choice. :D

Rotted Corpse
Necromancer of Cabilis

gnomishfirework
05-26-2011, 01:53 AM
The XP penalty isn't mythical, it's real. It's hurts when soloing, but I never noticed in groups. I also only hear about the group hate for hybrids on the forums. I never had a problem on my SK.

I always start groups though, so that might be why.

Rotted_Corpse
05-26-2011, 02:11 AM
The XP penalty isn't mythical, it's real. It's hurts when soloing, but I never noticed in groups. I also only hear about the group hate for hybrids on the forums. I never had a problem on my SK.

I always start groups though, so that might be why.

amended my post. I should have been more specific. I was meaning it impacting a group which I do not believe it does. And if it it does its so minute it doesn't matter. :)

Malianna
05-26-2011, 09:15 AM
hmm..well, im sure ill decide then between a Necro and a cleric :P

thanks for the info guys..now i just gotta find a price for titianium for a decent price

Pan
05-26-2011, 10:01 AM
The exp penalty on hybrids does not hit the group. The exp is divided as it normally would be. The problem is that if you start with a group of people, the hybrids get left behind exp-wise.

It is hard enough to get a group w/a hybrid as it is. Quit perpetuating this myth.

oper8r00
05-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Group your friendly neighborhood ranger.... Like umm... Zilo or umm Love or umm Curahe... Think that's all the rangers left.

maestrom
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
The exp penalty on hybrids does not hit the group. The exp is divided as it normally would be. The problem is that if you start with a group of people, the hybrids get left behind exp-wise.

It is hard enough to get a group w/a hybrid as it is. Quit perpetuating this myth.

It most certainly does. If you are a human warrior and you group with an iksar SK and you are both level 35, the iksar SK has a TON more experience points than you do. Therefore, when Experience is handed out when a mob dies, the iksar SK will take a larger portion of the experience than another character would in that spot.

The hybrid penalty impacts the group INDIRECTLY because hybrids of a certain level soak up more experience than other classes of that level.

Link to follow.

How Experience Works (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Game_Mechanics#How_Experience_Works)

Supaskillz
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM

thanks for the info guys..now i just gotta find a price for titianium for a decent price

Those 2 classes will yield very different experiences. Necros are one of the top solo classes in the game, but have difficulty finding groups. Clerics are in high demand for groups, but not good at soloing.

Swish
05-26-2011, 11:21 AM

ARR matey, ye don't need to look far! Hope you find a copy ;)

Aadill
05-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Most people tend to roll a soloing class like a necro to make money then roll an alt down the road. Rolling a ranger regardless of preference in this case is a hell of a challenge. Necro would be more interesting than the cleric, for certain.

Messianic
05-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Cleric v Necro is an odd choice. One is the most efficient general soloer and arguably and situationally the most powerful, albeit with lots of utility - whereas the other is a nearly entirely group-dependent class with very little individual power.

I could understand halting between Necro and Mage, or Necro and Enchanter...But Nec/Clr are entire opposite sides of the spectrum.

Ultimately you need to play whichever you'd enjoy more. Just remember there are like a billion necros on this server, and clerics are nearly always in demand.

Messianic
05-26-2011, 11:41 AM

It's not a myth.

In a letter dated 1/14/01 from the EQ Producers regarding massive changes to the game:

I think that it would be appropriate to say that most players are aware that there are different experience requirements for advancement based upon the race and class you choose to play. Ogres, for instance, require more experience to level than Halflings, and Shadowknights require more experience to level than Warriors. As such, an Ogre Shadowknight requires FAR more experience to level than a Halfling Warrior does. What some people have discovered is that when in a group, everyone shares in this penalty

In regards to the sharing of the experience penalty, it was apparent in beta, before the penalty was shared, that those playing characters without an experience penalty leveled faster than those that did. It was obvious that this would occur, but it was to the extreme that a group of friends, all playing together, would become separated to the point that they could no longer group efficiently in the mid to upper-mid levels. So we chose to distribute experience in the group on the basis of the total experience of each member rather than the level, in order to keep groups together.

As such, a level 20 Troll SK, having more experience total than a Human Wizard of the same level, would get more experience from each kill, while the total experience for the kill was unchanged. Essentially, the SK would take part of the Wizard's share were everything distributed equally to begin with.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/editorial/011401_EQ_Producers_letter.html

Hobby
05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I am sure someone will PM ya with information on where you can attain a copy of titanium.

relapsee69
05-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I have yet to find a mob i could not solo that i wanted too. So to the guy saying a cleric is entirely group-dependent or no individual power. Obv you do not know how to play a cleric

Susanbanthony
05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I wouldnt put it like Relapse but yeah...

I solo'd my cleric 85% of the time from 1-50. Groups are for rogues.

Messianic
05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I have yet to find a mob i could not solo that i wanted too. So to the guy saying a cleric is entirely group-dependent or no individual power. Obv you do not know how to play a cleric

I don't need to know "how to play a cleric" - I just need to know the relative hp of mobs you would likely solo at each level, and a clerics ability to do damage.

You go ahead and solo - i'll bet you level 3-5 times slower than a necro/druid/wizard/mage/shaman of the same level.

So go ahead and root-nuke some undead (or even living, in some cases) mob to death then med for 4-6 minutes. If that's how you define "not group dependent," fine. I disagree, unless you have a pocket chanter.

But the good money says most clerics didn't level that way.

hedbonker
05-26-2011, 01:59 PM

^this

Root'n'nuke. Especially undead. Since root is so strong on this server, you can solo pretty easy with a cleric. On live it was not the case for a long time until they added the self DS and weapon proc that heals the cleric. Once they did that it was game on.

Tumdumm
05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
...the self DS and weapon proc that heals the cleric. Once they did that it was game on.

No joke I was just reminiscing about this while I was drivin to get lunch a couple hours ago. Pullin crypt of decay with a group of afk 50somethings and watching them all ding almost every pull, oh man good times. And all those nasty weapons clerics ended up getting!!!

Malianna
05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
hmm.

If I did end up making a cleric, there's a good chance that i can drag a friend along,sense he was a long time player,too (though on different servers).

So would a cleric be paired well with a warrior/tank class or would something like a mage/necro be better? It will probably never be boxing,sense i tend to hate such things :p

maestrom
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Boxing is very illegal here so don't do that. If your friend lives with you then you will need to petition for an IP exemption in the petition forums below (read the forum instructions when you get there) but don't hold your breath. The Dev's have had a hard time this last few weeks with the tornadoes and such and have limited resources for such requests.

Cleric/Monk is a decent team.
Mage/Necro is pretty unstoppable though.

Aadill
05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
So would a cleric be paired well with a warrior/tank class or would something like a mage/necro be better? It will probably never be boxing,sense i tend to hate such things :p

It's also not allowed :)

Most groups rely on cleric/tank/cc/dps/dps/dps setups so having the core tank and cleric is good but you'll be limited on what you two can do alone.

baalzy
05-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Boxing is also illegal and gets you banned.

Tank of any type works. SK would be better since they could fear kite. But Pal/Warrior will be capable of always getting duo'd xp, although not the most efficient with a cleric. However you've got the start to a great group at any given moment so you'd be successful. A monk would work well also in a duo with a cleric. Infact, a monk probably would work better for duoing and can be tanks too for some group configurations. At the high levels you'll have a pocket puller at all times which is also useful.

Malianna
05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
oh cool :D

what about shamans/druids? I can play all three healing types XD its just i get confused as to what i want to play more :(

Rotted_Corpse
05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Well since your initial interest is necro or cleric I'd advise the necro first. Make some plat and then roll your cleric. It is what I did before rolling my cleric. Though its not some uber twink like some. hehe.

You could still xp with your friend and agro kiting mobs he could still dps and not need heals. etc.

Or he could roll a mage maybe and with the two you could get rolling really easy on those two.

Rotted Corpse
Necromancer of Cabilis

Stumpes
05-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Maybe a ranger, but I have grouped with many SKs and pallys.

baalzy
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Maybe a ranger, but I have grouped with many SKs and pallys.

Because SKs and Pallys are strong tanks and allow a group to kill fast enough to make up for the xp penalty.

Rangers don't really provide this (insert 5 million people explaining why rangers are effective members of groups despite the glaring fact that all their roles can be done better by classes that have much less/no xp penalty).

linkmarem
05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
good job. i want new post mate. ;)

Malianna
05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
as a necro then,should i be a dark elf? :P

or should i go be an iksar (who are equally,if not more boss) XD

Rotted_Corpse
05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
as a necro then,should i be a dark elf? :P

or should i go be an iksar (who are equally,if not more boss) XD

Well i'd see if your friend is coming to play and then make that decision. If he is a mage or another class that is not available as an Iksar then you'd prob want to be a DE so you'll start in the same place (or closer to where he starts) and not have the problem of being on different continents (say if he starts a char based out of Freeport).

The regen from the iksar is superior but a DE necro can do great as well. It is the race I played for my necro on live. Here I chose an iksar for the regen (my necro was created before kunark on live).

Biggest drawback on iksar necro is even the other evil races hate you. heh.

Rotted Corpse
Necromancer of Cabilis

Rotted_Corpse
05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Because SKs and Pallys are strong tanks and allow a group to kill fast enough to make up for the xp penalty.

Rangers don't really provide this (insert 5 million people explaining why rangers are effective members of groups despite the glaring fact that all their roles can be done better by classes that have much less/no xp penalty).

Love the hate. NOT Perpetuating class hate is STUPID! Keep it to yourself.

Oh and who cares about the xp penalty. If you do fine good for you. But we don't need to hear about what you worry TOO much about here.

Malianna
05-26-2011, 07:32 PM
well,thanks for the info guys :)

I wont be playing though till around June 1st-8th depending on when it arrives :(

Vondra
05-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I played this game(on live) starting a few days after it first came out and left right before Kunark came out.

Even though that was a long time ago it didn't take long for me to get hooked again. I've been playing for a few weeks now and had a lot of fun so far. There's actually a good amount of people to group with too. The overall experience is definitely "classic".

Zuranthium
05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Biggest drawback on iksar necro is even the other evil races hate you.

...which is negated by the fact that you can just go from 1-60 and get your gear and do your banking without venturing to those cities/zones.

Rotted_Corpse
05-26-2011, 09:14 PM
...which is negated by the fact that you can just go from 1-60 and get your gear and do your banking without venturing to those cities/zones.

yup you can if you want to be an isolationist and stay on kunark the whole time. Me its fun going other places even if I have to invis through. :)

Fourthmeal
05-26-2011, 09:16 PM
think outside the bun

Zuranthium
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
yup you can if you want to be an isolationist and stay on kunark the whole time. Me its fun going other places even if I have to invis through. :)

Risk vs Reward. Certain players may wish to do something just for the hell of it, at times, but the vast majority of players need incentive. If an Iksar doesn't have to put themself at risk and spend time going somewhere they don't need to go, then they probably won't. The "reviled by every other race" ding against Iksars is thus rather irrelevant because they don't need to interact with the Old World if they don't want to. Kunark provides an abundance of excellent exp spots and equipment, while taking care of other necessary functions as well.

This could bee seen as a design flaw.

Rotted_Corpse
05-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Risk vs Reward. Certain players may wish to do something just for the hell of it, at times, but the vast majority of players need incentive. If an Iksar doesn't have to put themself at risk and spend time going somewhere they don't need to go, then they probably won't. The "reviled by every other race" ding against Iksars is thus rather irrelevant because they don't need to interact with the Old World if they don't want to. Kunark provides an abundance of excellent exp spots and equipment, while taking care of other necessary functions as well.

This could bee seen as a design flaw.

I wasn't disagreeing with you per say. If one wants to stay on kunark all the time sure they can. I personally like to go to other locations throughout eq. Makes the game more fun for me. :)