PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions from a 1999-2001 EQ player

WhiskeyOctober
05-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Yes, it was a very long time ago the last time I was in the EQ world. Around the time Luclin came out, I wasn't that interested in EQ anymore. One of my biggest regrets too is that I didn't play on a red server when I did play EQ.

I have two questions about this project, but first, thanks for making it, if nothing else it provided some great memories I hadn't even thought about all these years.

1. How many people play on the server, and what is that player population like in comparison to the population densities of EQ servers back in 1999-2001? (to this day I still don't know how popular EQ 1 got...)

2. Is PvP available on it?

I apologize if these have been asked already. I browsed the PvP forum but I couldn't tell if this was an active feature or not as of yet with P99.

Zakaton
05-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Easy question first, no PvP unless you turn in your book and go red. There is supposed to be a PvP server coming, check the PvP forum if you're interested.

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone and population is usually around 800 -1000 when I log on in the evening. In the morning it's more like 250-300. As I remember it EQ back in 1999 got pretty unstable when more than 2000 people logged on. We were up that high when Kunark launched in March.

I'd say the population density is pretty good and reminiscent of classic EQ. People know a lot more now so there's less wandering around and more competition for the good spots.

WhiskeyOctober
05-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Thank you for the response.

Also, I am just now learning about the Titanium requirement...I went on amazon and there is literally -one- up there, and it's $100.

Any way to obtain this at a lower price?

Supaskillz
05-27-2011, 01:52 AM
I hear that there is a bit torr way to get eq titanium than amazon

Mikaelo
05-27-2011, 01:55 AM
inb4ban

Swish
05-27-2011, 02:03 AM
I began to lose interest around the time that LoY was released, having said that it did have one of my favourite zones... "The Gulf of Gunthak" really did have a pirate feel to it, and I often went down low in the water looking for things.

On another reminiscent note, wasn't it the Fennin Ro population that were always whining about overcrowding? Was it them who planted the seeds of discontent that started new servers like Luclin/Lanys T'Vyl coming up? Did the server select screen show the amount of players on each server? Or did I dream it?

I started on Prexus because a short server name was the only way I'd remember where I was playing the last session :D derp

Fourthmeal
05-27-2011, 02:44 AM
I began to lose interest around the time that LoY was released, having said that it did have one of my favourite zones... "The Gulf of Gunthak" really did have a pirate feel to it, and I often went down low in the water looking for things.

On another reminiscent note, wasn't it the Fennin Ro population that were always whining about overcrowding? Was it them who planted the seeds of discontent that started new servers like Luclin/Lanys T'Vyl coming up? Did the server select screen show the amount of players on each server? Or did I dream it?

I started on Prexus because a short server name was the only way I'd remember where I was playing the last session :D derp

I see what you did there

snwbrdr642
05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I see what you did there

4th meal i hope that pic in ur sig is what u actually look like.

bakkily
05-27-2011, 03:51 AM
i played prexus too, back in 02-04

bakkily
05-27-2011, 04:01 AM
kriv, what guilds did you belong to? was in sacred haven here

Fourthmeal
05-27-2011, 04:06 AM
4th meal i hope that pic in ur sig is what u actually look like.

It's my RL pic dude.

Kika Maslyaka
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Thank you for the response.

Also, I am just now learning about the Titanium requirement...I went on amazon and there is literally -one- up there, and it's $100.

Any way to obtain this at a lower price?

Jack Sparrow is giving one away... :cool:

Eldaran
05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Jack Sparrow is giving one away... :cool:

Isn't his ship docked in Pirate Bay?

NachtMystium
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Pirates often used many other ways to obtain things they desire. I wonder if that's why they called them pirates?

maestrom
05-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Is there a reason folks are so cryptic and talking about pirates and such instead of coming out and saying it clearly?

Knightmare
05-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Because they can't exactly have posts spelling out or explaining how to do something that is illegal if it is in regards to playing this game. If something illegal is posted it would have to get taken off the forums, lest it appear the devs support such illegal action... or at least obviously, knowingly, allowed it to take place.

Thus the dancing. Is it obvious? Well, there is plausible deniability in the way it's done, even if only barely :)

(Yes, I know, plausible deniability is not the best term as it refers to CIA operations and chains of command, still, you get the jist :))

maestrom
05-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Seems like sony could have made some money if they had titanium available on their site.

WhiskeyOctober
05-27-2011, 01:14 PM
A little update, I actually did look into it. It just seems though, based on the comments of the DL file, that nobody can seem to get it to work.

Zakaton
05-27-2011, 01:22 PM

I was on the Rathe way back when and I remember when it crashed (yet again) a bunch of us got into SOEs chat and started "Split The Rathe! "Split The Rathe! They eventually did.

And yeah, at one time they did show the population numbers. That was pulled when DAOC came out, I think.

E-bay has one decently priced copy
http://cgi.ebay.com/EverQuest-Titanium-Edition-/150610822666?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item23111ac60a

vossiewulf
05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
A little update, I actually did look into it. It just seems though, based on the comments of the DL file, that nobody can seem to get it to work.

Sometimes you can find things for dl in multiple places on the internet. Some of them work, some don't, you have to look around and find the right one.

Rasah
05-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Is there a reason folks are so cryptic and talking about pirates and such instead of coming out and saying it clearly?SOE is very much aware of P99, and in fact we are somewhat competing for the same demographic with their progression servers. They allow P99 to exist because nobody benefits from a "free" server, and they still profit from the sale of their software. If anyone were even to suggest that it would be possible to obtain the software through means other than purchasing it would give SOE grounds to take action against P99 if they chose.

Messianic
05-27-2011, 01:39 PM
It's my RL pic dude.

Your hair is frightening.

Fourthmeal
05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Your hair is frightening.

It was a phase I went through.

Reynard_CT
05-27-2011, 03:46 PM
It was a phase I went through.

Awkward phase of puberty where the new hair grew in the wrong place?

Its actually pretty cool to be honest... I'm just jealous.

username17
05-27-2011, 04:11 PM
SOE is very much aware of P99, and in fact we are somewhat competing for the same demographic with their progression servers. They allow P99 to exist because nobody benefits from a "free" server, and they still profit from the sale of their software.

How is SOE profiting from the sale of their software?
Titanium is no longer available via retail.

If you buy Titanum from eBay it's from a single person, not SOE.
The seller doesn't send a check to SOE with a % of the sale.

The only way SOE could make a profit from Titanium is if it sold a digital copy on the station store. But a) The store is down b) You're buying a CD key at that point when all you need is the software itself.

Doors
05-27-2011, 04:42 PM

I DONT GET IT