PDA

View Full Version : Help a Brother Out...

Deathrydar
06-08-2011, 10:40 PM
PLEASE don't make me regret for reaching out to the community for help! If you feel like flaming or giving a smart ass remark, I beg of you to find one of my other troll-worthy threads and flame me there...

Now, I want to make a REAL come-back to the server. Hardcore! Donations, everything....just like I was at launch, but I cannot get "sucked in" the way I usually do. I want to enjoy the game again and concentrate on one character until level 40 or so!

I need help on what type of race/class I should play. Any will be fun to me. I like to be evil, more than good....I like to melee more than cast spells....and I like to group when I have the time. But that is where the problem lies......I need a race/class that I can solo with, but one that also brings a lot to a group setting when I have time to be online for a while.

I know mostly all of the classes.....probably played em all up to 12 or so at least. I know that doesn't mean I have actually "played" them, but I have the basic understanding on what I should be doing. Played an SK, Bard and Cleric past 60 on live.

So I ask you, the Project 1999 community, if you were in my shoes and had a real 9-5 job, two kids, a wife that is sometimes very "needy" and long periods of times where you wouldn't be able to log on, and on top of it all, training to get your black belt in Tang Soo Do, what race/class would you pick?

Thank you very much for all serious responses! I hope to be back in the game by tomorrow or Friday night at the latest!!! :)

Zereh
06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Bard.

Vohl
06-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Iksar Monk, Shadowknight or Shaman.

loopholbrook
06-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Iksar Monk I'd say. Maybe Dark Elf Rogue?

k2summit
06-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Iksar or troll shaman.

Shrubwise
06-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Play a Cleric

Hasbinbad
06-09-2011, 12:56 AM
ranger

Troy
06-09-2011, 01:05 AM
So I ask you, the Project 1999 community, if you were in my shoes and had a real 9-5 job, two kids, a wife that is sometimes very "needy" and long periods of times where you wouldn't be able to log on, and on top of it all, training to get your black belt in Tang Soo Do, what race/class would you pick?

Honestly if I were that busy I wouldn't play at all, but if you're determined to play anyway I'd choose an agnostic enchanter of any race you like. Can solo decently without being twinked, can go to any town without grinding faction (which you won't have time to do), and is always wanted in groups.

Monks are the only melee that can really solo effectively but you need a lot of plat to do it - especially considering that you will not be able to loot any mobs ever or suffer an AC penalty. A couple of backpacks full of bandages alone will put you at the weight limit if you have no coins and no gear.

nalkin
06-09-2011, 01:17 AM
yeah don't start playing imo. This is coming from a green belt in karate for what its worth.

Slave
06-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Honestly your wife is VERY needy.

Knightmare
06-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I cannot get "sucked in" the way I usually do.

When people go to Al-Anon meetings, they try to stay completely clean and sober, not dally around with their one big weakness. You've already stated you 'usually' get sucked in. If this is your weakness (and we all have them), don't try to walk close to the precipice of the cliff, peek over and dangle 1 foot off, while expecting not to fall. You know there will come a time or times when you just want to get that level, that drop, that something, you'll compromise your priorities, and your family, or you, will suffer for it.

If I were in your shoes, I would focus on my wife and my family. Her 'neediness' is not an excuse. When you said 'for better or worse' I assume you meant it. This is what marriage, kids and being grown up is about, responsibility towards them, sacrifice for them. This is what it means to be a responsible, loving leader of your family :)

However, if you insist on playing! lol. Druid. You can solo or group very well, root/rot, SoW, buff, port, kill well on little gear/money, and be an effective healer in groups until lvl 40ish (which was what you were shooting for).

You lush. lol :)

Carnal Malefactor
06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
dude you don't want to start EQ again, it will compromise your physique for your tang soo do imo.

Deathrydar
06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
dude you don't want to start EQ again, it will compromise your physique for your tang soo do imo.

Nah! I will still go to class regularly and do my normal "at-home" workouts.
Trust me, I am too into it to put it on the back burner.

Deathrydar
06-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I appreciate everyone's responses. I have a question though.

I was considering a shaman, but I'd like to play a Troll. It says on the Project 1999 wiki that the level 34 pet spell is only purchasable in Cablis. Is this true?

Slave
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
No, it's not, else there would have been no shaman pets pre-Kunark.

falkun
06-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Death, I really don't see how this should affect your racial choice. This server's community is helpful enough that if you asked, I'm sure an iksar would help you out. If it is purchasable elsewhere, then you should update the wiki when you find that information out. And I do recommend checking elsewhere, the wiki is only as accurate as the player base makes it, so be a part of the solution!

Deathrydar
06-10-2011, 11:29 AM
No, it's not, else there would have been no shaman pets pre-Kunark.

Makes sense....Thank you!

Deathrydar
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Ok so, nobody probablt cares, but I wanted to put clisure to this whole thing.

I have my choices basically broken down to three characters, with a wild card in there.

1st Choice: Troll Shaman
2nd Choice: Human Druid
3rd Choice: Dark Elf Necromancer
Wild card: Human Magician

Tiggles
06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Ranger

azeth
06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
wood elf warrior, for the beauty.

baalzy
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Be aware that shaman solo'ing is much more difficult 1-34 then it was when P99 first launched.

Disease DoTs are no longer broken & overpowered. SoW kiting is less effective since the mob takes 33% less damage while you're doing it.

That said, should still be do-able but won't be as swiftly done as a necromancer or mage will be doing it.

In the long run though, Shaman will be getting into groups more quickly on a whole then a mage/necro would on those occasions where you have enough time to actually gorup.

soup
06-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Be aware that shaman solo'ing is much more difficult 1-34 then it was when P99 first launched.

Disease DoTs are no longer broken & overpowered. SoW kiting is less effective since the mob takes 33% less damage while you're doing it.

That said, should still be do-able but won't be as swiftly done as a necromancer or mage will be doing it.

In the long run though, Shaman will be getting into groups more quickly on a whole then a mage/necro would on those occasions where you have enough time to actually gorup.

From 34 on though the shaman is a beastly soloer. 45+ with a JBB they're godly.

Also, I'd consider going ogre rather than troll. As someone who plays a 56 barbarian shaman, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much by not having troll regen, but the ogre frontal stun immunity would be SOOOOOO nice to have. Like, really really really really really nice.

Daywolf
06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah dude, you are the only responsible adult here, we are all just 12yo slackers :P

But if you were in my shoes, you would just roll what you like, and play when you get the time. Server isn't going away.... It's more the kid mentality to roll something they may not like just to be able to level up asap. You can solo with any class when need be, but just faster with some than others, you see. I find all the character seasons fun to play through, because I play classes I like as I have/make the time to play.

btw my shoes got my first black belt at 17
lol
Better start grinding ;)

Deathrydar
06-10-2011, 06:06 PM
btw my shoes got my first black belt at 17

In which art?

Daywolf
06-11-2011, 07:07 AM
In which art?
Hwa Rang Do