PDA

View Full Version : P99 Newbie Questions

Saromez
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Hey everyone, first of all from what I've seen/read the server looks great. I'be been on the retail Fippy server for since it launched, and it just wasn't working out. Poor community, a LOT of arguing and whining, and a bad overpopulation issue messed the whole thing up for me. Anyway,.I came across p99 and it looks like just what I wanted - a classic EQ.experience. I do have some questions though:

1. How is population? Will I have a difficult time finding a group at any level? Will I see other players often or seldom?

2. ...are corpse runs in? I assume so, but I couldn't find the answer with Google.

3. What roles/classes are needed? Which aren't? Which we're more fun to play in classic? I'm thinking of rolling a Bard, but I've always known /melody, how are they without that command?

4. What's a good guild?

That's all, thanks!

Gustahn
06-10-2011, 12:11 AM
1. Often enough in the places that matter

2. Yes

3. "Needed" is going to get you a finger waggle.....but Clerics, Rogue, Wizard
Going for Bard....well enjoy rage tells from groups as you add their camp to your xp swarm. Gotta mix manual without melody.

4. Thats really dependent on you.

Vermicelli
06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
3. OK first off, everyone including myself has rolled a Bard on P99 so expect to see Bards everywhere. Secondly, Bards are a much more engaging class to play without the melody command, and you can tell whether a person is playing a bard poorly or well. Thirdly, since I have joined P99, levels 1-30 are deficient in tank classes =)

4. If you like to play casually, check out http://mischiefguild.org/forums/index.php !

falkun
06-10-2011, 07:57 AM
1. How is population? Will I have a difficult time finding a group at any level? Will I see other players often or seldom?

Server population is very top-heavy. You should be able to find a group at any level range, but you may have to get over your shyness and send some tells and travel around for the group. You should see players all over the place, but if you leave the beaten path, it will be more barren.

2. ...are corpse runs in? I assume so, but I couldn't find the answer with Google.

Yes, CRs are glorious here. These things make you enjoy those purple club CHs and other general badassery so much more.

3. What roles/classes are needed? Which aren't? Which we're more fun to play in classic? I'm thinking of rolling a Bard, but I've always known /melody, how are they without that command?

The lower levels need tanks. From what I've seen the upper levels are low on knights and RANGERS. I know Verm said that everyone and their mother have bards, but as a bard I can't take one selo'd step without running into another monk.

4. What's a good guild?

This guild is many servers shoved into 1 non-instanced world. We have everything from leveling guilds to foreign guilds to batphone 4AM-raid-target-spawned-time-to-raid guilds. Check out the Guild Discussion (http://www.project1999.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18) forums to find one that matches your play.

PS: Welcome and enjoy your stay. It may be >10 years old, but its still the best MMO created.

Striiker
06-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the server. You made the right decision coming here! I think the others have answered your questions sufficiently. I'd advise also looking at the Project 1999 Wiki (http://wiki.project1999.org) . Remember that the web sites out there tend to have information for Everquest as it is today (crap) or later than where the server is in its timeline. There are plenty of great resources which can be found throughout the forums which link to cached sites on internet archive etc.
Have fun and see you out there!

Deathrydar
06-10-2011, 08:53 AM
It would be great if the devs could provide us with a count of how many of what class/race there are on the server.

Daywolf
06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I'be been on the retail Fippy server for since it launched, and it just wasn't working out. Poor community, a LOT of arguing and whining, and a bad overpopulation issue messed the whole thing up for me. hehe took you that long to figure that out? ;) Took me a week until I said omg this is absolutely lame. It's nowhere close to classic, though people throw the "classic" word around a lot there. It's so easy a 6yo could play it, literally, no joke. I view it as an insult, that server, to any seasoned mmo vet. They should just replace mob models with like Barny the dinosaur and smurfs. lol

Anyway, your questions answered, but #4 I'd say look for a newbie guild. Many of the guilds here are now only recruiting at around lvl 30 etc(there abouts), which imo is really bad for this server with the lesser population and new players finding p99 regularly. Old SOE live hardcore raiding mentality I guess, or like to think they are here yet when it isn't.
Lucks!