PDA

View Full Version : Monk Gear Questions!

Nijaxx
06-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Hey I got my brothers playing and now, Im looking to twink a monk and shadowknight!
What are some items you recommend for them? Im not very familiar with either classes but I wanna get em some nice gear so they keep on playing!

Any advice would be great! Thanks

VincentVolaju
06-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Whats your budget?

medievahe
06-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Well, I've got 3 Peeps Im trying to twink(ish) and have about 50k or so to do it. They're also open to changing classes--

Slave
06-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Wu's Trance Sticks are pretty great for monks but it takes till level 35 to proc. Still, they have a nice feel to them and at 1k each that's not bad. And you can pick up a Robe of Living Fungus for hundreds now, and they look superb.

Both should have 5ac/ 55hp rings pretty much.

Sk, jewelery is good - 7 str/int necklace and 4 int/2 str earrings. Poison Wind Censer or Noctivigant Blade both look and work great. Not sure on those prices though.

Just off the top of my head.

soup
06-11-2011, 05:15 AM
For the monk, you'll probably either want a pair of Jade Maces for dual wield, or could do a Wu's Quivering Staff for a 2H. The 2H would be a nice bargain for the budget, but a lot of people like dual wielding a lot more. You could also opt for Fighting Batons for bargain one handers. Could also consider a Peacebringer for ~12k, which is basically the same thing as a Tstaff until level 50.

For the SK, Poison Wind Censer is a great 2H option for pretty cheap, or could go the route of Ebon Mace/Noctivigant Blade + a shield (Clay Guardian Shield is a great reasonably priced shield)

5/55 rings for both, and then the other pieces will be far less important starting out and can be picked up as you see them in EC (outside of haste of course)

Don't be afraid to spend a large portion of the budget on weapons, since they easily offer the most upgrade of any other gear you can get (once again, haste can be an exception)

Nijaxx
06-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Great! Keep the info coming! Would you say a wus quivering staff is better damage ratio than the trance sticks? You guys have been great help so far, thanks!

Slave
06-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Great! Keep the info coming! Would you say a wus quivering staff is better damage ratio than the trance sticks? You guys have been great help so far, thanks!

It'd be 14/18 vs 23/29 but dual wield check doesn't proc as much... I'd say the Staff would be a better bet from levels 20-35, and the sticks would be better 1-20 and 35+. Although damage caps are not implemented here the same way they were in Classic...

soup
06-11-2011, 06:01 AM

I'm fairly certain the Quivering staff would out damage the Trance sticks before 35 (when they start procing), after 35 I'm not sure how it would go. Also not sure how Jade Maces would stack up against it either.

I do know that when I was leveling my monk up with a Peacebringer (28-30 ratio) that the damage it did constantly amazed me, and the Quivering staff isn't all that far off from it ratio wise. It very well could out damage a pair of Jade Maces, and I doubt the bang for the buck on the Quivering staff can be beat.

Some other items to keep an eye out for (stuff that has raw HP, great for twinks):
Glowing Bone Collar (~500p, would be great for both the monk and SK)
Tattered Mantle (seen them range from 100-500, a bit heavy for the monk, but could still be usable, it's not the end of the world going over the weight limit, especially at low levels when twinked, great for the SK though)
Golden Jaded Bracelet (these are basically free, like 50p for a pair, great low level item for pretty much any class)

Slave
06-11-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm fairly certain the Quivering staff would out damage the Trance sticks before 35 (when they start procing), after 35 I'm not sure how it would go. Also not sure how Jade Maces would stack up against it either.

Remember that damage cap to level 10 is 20 damage and damage cap to level 20 is 30 damage.

soup
06-11-2011, 06:07 AM
It'd be 14/18 vs 23/29 but dual wield check doesn't proc as much... I'd say the Staff would be a better bet from levels 20-35, and the sticks would be better 1-20 and 35+. Although damage caps are not implemented here the same way they were in Classic...

That's not a great way to look at it for low levels, the 14/18 for the trance sticks. The offhand swing happens farrrrr too infrequently. Honestly, Trance sticks shouldn't even be a thought until 35, or close to it.

But you do bring up a valid point with mentioning the damage cap. Before level 10, damage is capped out at 20 damage per swing, so the 2H sucks a lot at that point. From level 10 to 20 the damage cap is 40 though, so using the quivering staff would be perfectly fine. Would lose out on a little bit of it's damage, but I'm still pretty sure it would out damage Trance sticks no problem.

soup
06-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Remember that damage cap to level 10 is 20 damage and damage cap to level 20 is 30 damage.

I thought the 10-20 cap was 40 damage? I was under the impression that monk would have the same caps as warrior does, and my warrior I was leveling recently was able to max out at 40 damage before level 20.

Slave
06-11-2011, 06:10 AM
That's not a great way to look at it for low levels, the 14/18 for the trance sticks. The offhand swing happens farrrrr too infrequently. Honestly, Trance sticks shouldn't even be a thought until 35, or close to it.

That's why I mentioned the dual wield chance and ended up saying that Quivering would be better from 20-35. But in Classic, the damage cap was always 30 points until level 20, I'm not really sure what the formula here is, but if it is 40 damage until level 20, they're just plain wrong. Although I DID also qualify that with an Idk.

soup
06-11-2011, 06:14 AM
That's why I mentioned the dual wield chance and ended up saying that Quivering would be better from 20-35. But in Classic, the damage cap was always 30 points until level 20, I'm not really sure what the formula here is, but if it is 40 damage until level 20, they're just plain wrong. Although I DID also qualify that with an Idk.

I'm not sure either now. I do know I was hitting for 40 on my warrior with a Poison Wind Censer before level 20, and was under the impression that monk would have the same cap, but I'm not sure on that at all now that I think about it.

Baa
06-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Wu's quivering staff is great, can confirm that cap up to 20 is 40, after 20 unless you have super high str you will hit in the high 40's with it so you don't lose a great deal of damage.

Haven't done any real testing but it 'seems' that I am doing more damage with the wu's quivering staff over the trance sticks. Only real drawback I can see is when you gea few misses in a row it can really hurt.

Slave
06-11-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm not sure either now. I do know I was hitting for 40 on my warrior with a Poison Wind Censer before level 20, and was under the impression that monk would have the same cap, but I'm not sure on that at all now that I think about it.

I agree Quivering would rock from 10-35 if 40 damage is their cap.