PDA

View Full Version : Neep help with Mac PLEASE

loopholbrook
06-13-2011, 12:50 AM
So I've gone through all this (http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PlayGuide), using wine on my mac. Then at step 5 you have to make a short cut, but on macs you have to make an alias. I made the alias, but I have no idea what to do at the properties part. There is no option this is what I see. Get info is basically like properties, but I still can't add patch me to the rest of the path.
http://i55.tinypic.com/125mlfo.jpg
HALP, please!

DevGrousis
06-13-2011, 03:03 AM
*drool* didnt know this was possible. Ive been using Bootcamp lol

sorry i cant offer further assistance :P

bizzum
06-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Bootcamp > Wine

I dont know why you are drooling.

Bootcamp just makes this whole process so easy.

I also, cannot offer further assistance. I am busy logging on via bootcamp.

DevGrousis
06-13-2011, 03:48 AM
just because it would be awesome to be able to keep Mac OS up and play EQ. Have all my music, bookmarks, etc on my mac side. my Windows side is barren except for EQ and Google Chrome lol

Rogean
06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Easy Solution: Don't use Mac.

Slave
06-13-2011, 03:59 AM

Some of my friends, artists, that's all they own. Not natural gamers but they shouldn't be automatically excluded from our nice little community here. I didn't know it was possible to play P99 on a mac... to know it's even possible is half the battle. Seriously, you guys are playing P99 on Mac?

loopholbrook
06-13-2011, 05:10 AM
SHEEEEEEEIT! Is step 5 a necessity? It just doesn't seem like it would be.

Nedala
06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I play on a macbook pro, using bootcamp. Was very easy to setup :)

loopholbrook
06-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Do you have to buy the windows OS disc for it to work, or could I just torrent the .exe file?

Mcbard
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
My guess is that it would be somewhere under the Get Info menu. But seriously, you should virtualize it either via bootcamp, parallels, or some other virtualization program.

Mcbard
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
just because it would be awesome to be able to keep Mac OS up and play EQ. Have all my music, bookmarks, etc on my mac side. my Windows side is barren except for EQ and Google Chrome lol

Parallels is for you my friend.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2329/mackt.png

Mcbard
06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Found a solution to the original question.. it involves running it not through the shortcut since you can't append commands to them apparently (learn something every day) but instead creating a small script that launches the application with the patchme command added to the end of it.

http://superuser.com/questions/16750/how-can-i-run-an-application-with-command-line-arguments-in-mac-os

So make a blank text document and put this in it:
#!/bin/sh
/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -P default -no-remote &

Just replace the firefox path with the one to your eq app and add the patchme at the end of it.

Enderenter
06-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Amen. Heed this man.

Some of my friends, artists, that's all they own. Not natural gamers but they shouldn't be automatically excluded from our nice little community here. I didn't know it was possible to play P99 on a mac... to know it's even possible is half the battle. Seriously, you guys are playing P99 on Mac?

Hey, don't exclude them just because they are artists. Artists can learn how to use real computers too, you know.

loopholbrook
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Found a solution to the original question.. it involves running it not through the shortcut since you can't append commands to them apparently (learn something every day) but instead creating a small script that launches the application with the patchme command added to the end of it.

http://superuser.com/questions/16750/how-can-i-run-an-application-with-command-line-arguments-in-mac-os

So make a blank text document and put this in it:

Just replace the firefox path with the one to your eq app and add the patchme at the end of it.
Holy crap thank you so much. Errr I did everything that said, and still nothing. Yargen

MrCables
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Holy crap thank you so much. Errr I did everything that said, and still nothing. Yargen

So, I just installed wine via MacPorts to give it a try. Seems like its going to be a PITA trying to get the client window to display right, but I've never used wine before. So, it's probably just me being noobish in this regard. I can't get the app to run full screen and it's annoying to have the dock in front of the game window.

Anyway, this is the bash script i've been using to launch EQ:

#!/bin/bash
# Run EQ, using wine

EQ_DIR=~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/Project1999

cd "$EQ_DIR"
wine eqgame.exe patchme

You'll need to be sure to edit the EQ_DIR variable to conform to your correct path. Also, just fyi... there's probably a better way to handle the whitespace because of the "Program Files" folder. But, adding the quotes around the variable name for cd seemed to work out fine.

Hope this helps.

Mcbard
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
So, I just installed wine via MacPorts to give it a try. Seems like its going to be a PITA trying to get the client window to display right, but I've never used wine before. So, it's probably just me being noobish in this regard. I can't get the app to run full screen and it's annoying to have the dock in front of the game window.

Anyway, this is the bash script i've been using to launch EQ:

You'll need to be sure to edit the EQ_DIR variable to conform to your correct path. Also, just fyi... there's probably a better way to handle the whitespace because of the "Program Files" folder. But, adding the quotes around the variable name for cd seemed to work out fine.

Hope this helps.

The dock issue also shows up if you were to try to run fullscreen, in coherence view. It's something to do with the way the OS treats the dock I think and the way the OS uses it. Playing in windowed mode works fine though I would assume?

MrCables
06-14-2011, 05:04 PM
The dock issue also shows up if you were to try to run fullscreen, in coherence view. It's something to do with the way the OS treats the dock I think and the way the OS uses it. Playing in windowed mode works fine though I would assume?

Ya... playing in windowed mode works ok for the most part, once I found the "Zoom" command in the xorg menu and could actually see the entire client window. To remedy the dock issue, I just went into system properties and set it to auto hide.

The only thing that I can't seem to fix, and I'm not sure you can, is with mouselook. It seems as though the game window doesnt fully capture the mouse and it moves along the desktop as well. So, what happens is the cursor gets to the edge of the desktop under the game window and you'll stop turning.

I tried running winecfg and playing with some of the options, but nothing seemed to help. I guess later on, when I have some free time, I'll try google to see if anyone else has a fix for it.

loopholbrook
06-14-2011, 05:20 PM
I must be retarded because none of this is working. Granted I don't know much about computers, but I thought I had enough to do something this simple. I have the same path as you so, I don't know why it isn't working.
I think automator is my problem, not quite sure how to use it. Is this how it should look when I'm making the app?
http://i53.tinypic.com/30m9tfc.png

MrCables
06-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I must be retarded because none of this is working. Granted I don't know much about computers, but I thought I had enough to do something this simple. I have the same path as you so, I don't know why it isn't working.
I think automator is my problem, not quite sure how to use it. Is this how it should look when I'm making the app?

Interesting... I've never played with Automator before. I'm still new to OSX, it's only been a few weeks since I got this macbook. So, I had approached this as I would in linux or bsd, just using the terminal. However, after looking at your screenshot and playing with Automator a bit, I think I figured out what your trying to do.

You only need to use the "Run Shell Script" action, get rid of the Finder action you have there. You can type something similar to the following, in the text box where it says "cat" in your screenshot:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/Project1999
/opt/local/bin/wine start eqgame.exe patchme

This is what I used in Automator then saved it to my desktop. Of course, our paths to the eqgame and wine executables might be different, so you might need to make changes.

Let me know how you get on with this... hope it helps

loopholbrook
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Interesting... I've never played with Automator before. I'm still new to OSX, it's only been a few weeks since I got this macbook. So, I had approached this as I would in linux or bsd, just using the terminal. However, after looking at your screenshot and playing with Automator a bit, I think I figured out what your trying to do.

You only need to use the "Run Shell Script" action, get rid of the Finder action you have there. You can type something similar to the following, in the text box where it says "cat" in your screenshot:

This is what I used in Automator then saved it to my desktop. Of course, our paths to the eqgame and wine executables might be different, so you might need to make changes.

Let me know how you get on with this... hope it helps

It says workflow failed. Can you take a screenshot of your to see what I'm doing wrong? Or alternatively can you tell me what I would have to do in terminal?

MrCables
06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
It says workflow failed. Can you take a screenshot of your to see what I'm doing wrong? Or alternatively can you tell me what I would have to do in terminal?

Here's a screenshot of the app I made with automator, pretty much identical to yours, except for the changes I noted above.

Make sure the paths are correct for your machine. When you run yours in Automator, what errors are you getting in the log at the bottom?

loopholbrook
06-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Here's a screenshot of the app I made with automator, pretty much identical to yours, except for the changes I noted above.

Make sure the paths are correct for your machine. When you run yours in Automator, what errors are you getting in the log at the bottom?

Dude I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, like I said I'm not very computer savvy. When I click get info on the actually file the path is: "/Users/loopholbrook/Desktop/Neverquest.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest" is somehow that the wrong path? I've tried everything I can in automater and it's not working. The error says no such file or directory, so -_-.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2j10u55.png added patchme to the end, just forgot at first

Mcbard
06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
If it helps at all, your script is pointing at your ever quest directory and not the eqgame.exe executable itself.

Also, f Automator, just bring up a terminal and use vi to write scripts IMO.

Cables, I'm not sure how to fix those mouse issues nor am I in a position to really test it, like I said I use a vm to play.

Mcbard
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Loophol, assuming your wine service is located in the same spot as Cables' try the following script:

#changes your current working directory to your everquest directory
cd /Users/loopholbrook/Desktop/Everquest.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest
#issues a command to start eqgame using wine

loopholbrook
06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
So everything was right, except apparently wine isn't located anywhere on my computer. Do I not just follow the path in get info under the "where:" section? If not where would I get the path for wine?
Are either one of you willing to skype with me and I'll share my screen so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong? If so send me a message, or email.

corradojeff
06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I got this working but I used the "Crossover Games" version of wine. Check This Link (http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31983&page=2) and if you have any issues post there and I will help as best as I can.

MrCables
06-15-2011, 09:18 PM
So everything was right, except apparently wine isn't located anywhere on my computer. Do I not just follow the path in get info under the "where:" section? If not where would I get the path for wine?
Are either one of you willing to skype with me and I'll share my screen so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong? If so send me a message, or email.

Hi Loop,

Sorry, I could have been a little more clear... we're talking about two different things it seems. The "Where:" line you are looking at is showing you the path to the Automator script that you setup, not the path to the EQ or Wine binary files, which you need to reference in the script. I don't have a Skype account, but I can list a few things that might help you further.

First, we need to find the paths to wine and eqgame.exe, since we still haven't pinned that down yet. For this, we'll use the terminal, so open it up and type the following:

find /Users/loopholbrook | grep eqgame.exe

This should locate the eqgame.exe binary as long as it's somewhere in your home folder. If it is, you should see the path print out in the terminal, so write that down. On my machine, it looks like this:

cables@localhost ~$ find /Users/cables | grep eqgame.exe
/Users/cables/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/Project1999/eqgame.exe

Next, you need to find where Wine is. Just type "wine" in the terminal and hopefully you see something like the following:

cables@localhost ~$ wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit

If so, you're in good shape... so type the following to find the exact path to the wine binary:

which wine

This is how it looks on my machine:

cables@localhost ~$ which wine
/opt/local/bin/wine

Just fyi... if the last part where you just typed "wine" at the prompt didn't work, this won't either.

So, just to put it all together, here's what it looks like on my machine:

cables@localhost ~$ find /Users/cables | grep eqgame.exe
/Users/cables/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/Project1999/eqgame.exe

cables@localhost ~$ wine
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit

cables@localhost ~$ which wine
/opt/local/bin/wine

So, once you have the two correct paths, go back to automator and add them to the run shell script action like my previous screenshot (using the paths from my examples in this post):

cd /Users/cables/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/Project1999

Also, it's very important that you handle path's with spaces in the correctly (like the "Program Files" folder, for example). If there is a space, you need to put a backslash ( "\" ) right before the space. Please take notice of where I placed it above as an example.

Also, just incase you were wondering the difference from here and my previous screenshot, the "~/" is basically a shortcut for "/Users/cables"

Hopefully, this should set you straight. I'll have a look back later on tonight, after the Bruins win the cup :D , to see how you're getting on.

Neaena
06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
follow these easy to use steps to play teh box

1. pick up baseball bat
2. repeatedly swing bat @ mac
3. throw pieces of mac into trash
4. go buy or build a real computer
5. download box and have fun!

i forgot.. EEFFFFFFF YOU CANADIA US is better @ hockey than U

loopholbrook
06-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I think there's something up with wine on my computer because it all has worked swimmingly except for every part that has to do with wine.
The second step terminal says "-bash: wine: command not found"
I guess I'll redownload it and see if that helps if not, I shan't edit this post and you'll see that wine is messed up. If wine is indeed messed up, I'll just run vmwarefusion or something similar, unless you have one more magic trick up your sleeve. I appreciate all the help that you have done and I need to find a way to repay you, so if there is ever anything you need, I'll try my best to help.
Also, I saw that your Bruins won, congratz.

corradojeff
06-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Loop, look at my post. I now have EQ running on MAC OSX very well using a version of wine called "CrossOver Games". It is VERY easy to set up. Let me know if you have any questions or issues with it.

Striiker
06-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Parallels is for you my friend.

I have parallels. It's great for running Windows apps on my Macbook Pro (something necessary for the work I do). I have repeatedly run into an issue when running EQ under parallels. When I am looking around with the mouse, there is an odd behavior when I do a mouselook up or down.. It jumps to full up or full down. This does not happen if I click and hold the mouse button and then move the mouse. If however I am moving the mouse and then click to use mouselook, the view jumps as described. I have never been able to resolve this (now running Parallels 6 on Windows 7). It would be great to be able to play EQ without having to exit the Mac OS to my bootcamp partition. Have you (or anyone else) had luck playing EQ in Parallels? Do you have this issue with mouselook? I'd love some help.

Striiker
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
follow these easy to use steps to play teh box

1. pick up baseball bat
2. repeatedly swing bat @ mac
3. throw pieces of mac into trash
4. go buy or build a real computer
5. download box and have fun!

I was never a fan of the Mac prior to OSX and the adoption of Intel chips. I have come to truly appreciate the design and quality of the hardware and operating system after moving to it as my platform of choice. I never understood why people get so worked up against Macs. I had spent the past 20 years (almost) building my own systems, geared up for gaming.. Back in the Quake days I bought the Monster 3D accelerator card and afterwards, the Monster II cards in SLI and put them in systems I designed and assembled myself and always kept upgrading my systems as new technology rolled out so I have a long history with the PC. I gave the Mac a try and came to appreciate many aspects of it. I'm quite happy that I can play EQ on such a terrific system.

loopholbrook
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Loop, look at my post. I now have EQ running on MAC OSX very well using a version of wine called "CrossOver Games". It is VERY easy to set up. Let me know if you have any questions or issues with it.

Thank you very much, but I already have it installed, the problem I have is bypassing the patch. Still, thanks for trying to help I truly appreciate it.

Mcbard
06-16-2011, 12:30 PM
I have parallels. It's great for running Windows apps on my Macbook Pro (something necessary for the work I do). I have repeatedly run into an issue when running EQ under parallels. When I am looking around with the mouse, there is an odd behavior when I do a mouselook up or down.. It jumps to full up or full down. This does not happen if I click and hold the mouse button and then move the mouse. If however I am moving the mouse and then click to use mouselook, the view jumps as described. I have never been able to resolve this (now running Parallels 6 on Windows 7). It would be great to be able to play EQ without having to exit the Mac OS to my bootcamp partition. Have you (or anyone else) had luck playing EQ in Parallels? Do you have this issue with mouselook? I'd love some help.

I have no problems whatsoever running EQ in parallels. I used to have strange mouse issues when I first got parallels, but it was nothing I couldn't fix by making sure smart mouse was enabled and tweaking in game/windows mouse settings.

Mcbard
06-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I think there's something up with wine on my computer because it all has worked swimmingly except for every part that has to do with wine.
The second step terminal says "-bash: wine: command not found"
I guess I'll redownload it and see if that helps if not, I shan't edit this post and you'll see that wine is messed up. If wine is indeed messed up, I'll just run vmwarefusion or something similar, unless you have one more magic trick up your sleeve. I appreciate all the help that you have done and I need to find a way to repay you, so if there is ever anything you need, I'll try my best to help.
Also, I saw that your Bruins won, congratz.

This is going to sound stupid, but are you even installing wine? You should get ahold of the source, ./configure, make, and make install.

Edit:
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building

loopholbrook
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but are you even installing wine? You should get ahold of the source, ./configure, make, and make install.

Edit:
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building

Haha, yes, I definitely have wine installed. I don't know, I'll either wait until August until I build my gaming PC, or I'll get a cracked Parallels.
Thanks for everyone trying to help, I wish I knew what was wrong, all of you had several ways to help with my problem.

Striiker
06-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I have no problems whatsoever running EQ in parallels. I used to have strange mouse issues when I first got parallels, but it was nothing I couldn't fix by making sure smart mouse was enabled and tweaking in game/windows mouse settings.

Odd. I have smartmouse enabled.. The mouse tracks around quite fine in all other respects. The only issue which ever happens is when engaging mouselook while moving the mouse.. I'll have to play around with the settings some more.. Thanks!

corradojeff
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Thank you very much, but I already have it installed, the problem I have is bypassing the patch. Still, thanks for trying to help I truly appreciate it.

I guess you didn't read my whole post. The section you should have read out of that post is this

"With CrossOver open click on the "programs" menu and click "run command" browse to eqgame.exe and double click it. It should show up in the "command" line now. at the end of the file path (After the "" marks) add patchme then click run. BAM! it worked."

loopholbrook
08-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I guess you didn't read my whole post. The section you should have read out of that post is this

"With CrossOver open click on the "programs" menu and click "run command" browse to eqgame.exe and double click it. It should show up in the "command" line now. at the end of the file path (After the "" marks) add patchme then click run. BAM! it worked."

bumping from the pits of hell. So I did all that and I got to the log in page and everything I do says operation time out...

neverquest
08-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Easy Solution: Don't use Mac.:eek: